IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

La Nina is over

Tyrone

'Once-in-a-lifetime' La Niña draws to a close

Press Release, Monday May 16, 2011 - 13:14 ESTOne of the strongest La Niña events on record has finally concluded, after playing a major role in the record breaking rainfall and flooding seen through eastern and northern Australia over the last 10 months, according to weatherzone.com.au.

By many measures this was one of the strongest La Niña events on record, surpassing those seen in the 1970’s and rivalling the 1917 event.

La Niña events are characterised by colder than usual sea surface temperatures through the central and eastern Pacific Ocean (near South America), along with warmer than usual waters near the Australian continent.

These sea surface temperature anomalies in turn drive stronger than usual southeast trade winds across the tropical Pacific Ocean, boosting moisture levels across eastern and northern Australia.

In addition, ascending air over the east and north leads to areas of low pressure and rainfall. The lower than usual pressures in Darwin are measured against the atmospheric pressure readings in Tahiti, producing a value for what is known as the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI). Consistently positive SOI values, combined with cold sea surface temperature anomalies across the central and eastern Pacific, indicate a La Niña phase.

"We have seen a return of near normal sea surface temperatures through the Pacific over the last month, while the SOI index has also returned to neutral territory in the last week. Therefore we can safely say that the current La Niña has concluded, following a once-in-a-lifetime event," said Alex Zadnik, Senior Meteorologist at Weatherzone.

"While sea surface temperature data prior to 1950 is limited, using the SOI value over the last 10 months, we can say the current La Niña event was the second strongest on record," continued Mr Zadnik.

The rainfall seen over the past year has been on a par with heavy rainfall events seen during the La Niña events of the mid 1970's and the 1950's, but based solely on atmospheric data, this event was stronger.

As a result of the persistent and heavy rainfall through the La Niña event, record flooding was experienced through central and southern Queensland, western and southern NSW and northern Victoria.

In some cases, 100 year-old rainfall records were smashed, partcularly through central Queensland. Taroom in central Queensland had more than 230% of its annual average rainfall in 2010. The accumulated total for the year was 1613mm, which is the highest in 125 years of records. In the Northern Territory, some suburbs of Darwin were swamped by more than three metres of rain through the wet season, while northwestern Victoria also had record falls. Mildura had more than double its annual average rain with 591mm, which was their highest annual total since records began in 1889. Broken Hill in western NSW had already picked up more than its annual average rainfall in the first three months of 2011.

Some flooding rain even reached as far east as South Australia and the Northern Territory. Adelaide had its wettest summer since 1973/74 and Alice Springs its wettest year since 1974.

Southern parts of Western Australia don't usually see above average rainfall in La Niña times, as was the case in 2010, when much of the wheat belt had its driest year on record.

With the La Niña event now fading and the arrival of the dry season across northern Australia, the likelihood of another major flood event has drastically reduced.

"Looking ahead to next spring and summer, it's not yet clear whether we will see La Niña conditions redevelop, or even return to the drier El Niño pattern. The scientific consensus is for neutral conditions into spring, although it is still a little too early to tell which way things will swing," concluded Mr Zadnik.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

La Nina is welcome to return to my place this coming summer.........at least then I won't have to worry about watering for a few months :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

La Nina is welcome to return to my place this coming summer.........at least then I won't have to worry about watering for a few months :)

Yeah, I did like that part of it. I just want an regular average weather pattern for a year or two, with just a smidgen more wet and short winters, like we used to have all the time when I was a kid, is that too much to ask the mighty Thor ? :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer in Melbourne was like a normal summer 2000km further north up the coast.

Quite frankly, my garden never looked as good in the 10 years I have lived here.

That weather can come back any time.

But if that weather has to be accompanied by lots of flooding and drowning...... thats not good at all.

As to FNQ, a cyclone is expected every year. Its part of life up there and a complete lottery as to whether its going to hit you.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer in Melbourne was like a normal summer 2000km further north up the coast.

Quite frankly, my garden never looked as good in the 10 years I have lived here.

That weather can come back any time.

But if that weather has to be accompanied by lots of flooding and drowning...... thats not good at all.

As to FNQ, a cyclone is expected every year. Its part of life up there and a complete lottery as to whether its going to hit you.

Except that 2000km up the coast doesn't get 4 seasons in one day like Melbourne does :winkie:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Apparently someone forgot to tell La Nina that its finished. The people of northern NSW would beg to differ :mrlooney: .

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Apparently someone forgot to tell La Nina that its finished. The people of northern NSW would beg to differ :mrlooney: .

It would be interesting to know which way the SOI has headed in the last week. I bet it's back into positive territory.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.