IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More on the ridiclously warm winter

SubTropicRay

Up to 5C cooler during the day and night. Definitely noticably cooler. At least we have been getting some rain though.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

This warm spell just keeps going here. I just hit 84F today and some areas around me are in the 87F range. Not complaining though, because my palms and I are loving it, but VERY unusual to stay at these levels virtually the entire winter.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Not quite as over the top over here in Tarpon Springs, but at 78.1F (and still eeking up as today wears on), I am not complaining.  Areas further from the coast are, as usual, warmer and into the lower 80's.

What has been over the top this winter has been the overnight lows.  So far this month, the highs logged by my weather station have been only averaged out to 3F, maybe 4F, higher than the normal (which is 72F).  But, the average low so far in January has been around 59F which far exceeds the normal of 50F.  

Of course, we have half the month still left and Ma Nature may still decide to bring us back to, or at least closer to, long term seasonal norms.  Heres hoping she doesnt.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

How about changing thread to read, more on the ridiculously cold weather, except in Florida!!  I am 30 DEGREES below average today (average is in the 60s)!!!

(syersj @ Jan. 16 2007,13:26)

How about changing thread to read, more on the ridiculously cold weather, except in Florida!!  I am 30 DEGREES below average today (average is in the 60s)!!!

Jim-

It looks like you Texans are doing your best to push this cr@p down here------Check out this gradient map....40F to 82F!

gradient-145PM-1-16-07.jpg

Larry 

Larry,

Again, the map says it all. I agree on the lows, they have been more summer like and the humidity has stayed up there. Usually by this time of year, things are much drier.

Jim,

Thats a big departure from normal temps for you, to be sure. Looks like we are only going to get a glancing blow from this in my area. Maybe low 70's for highs a couple days.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Yes, TX is taking the brunt of this cold.  No other area of the US is 30-35F below average for hi temps.  If you were 30 below average, you would be in the 40s barely.

Accuweather is touting the massive amount of cold air headed for Florida.  With the coldest temps expected over the next week to be 50F, I wish I could send them an e-mail titled "Hello McFly, it's called the return to normal".

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Don't worry Jim..... You're not alone.. That mess has finally come here.. Although there's no precipitation, the temps have been dropping like crazy throughout the day....

Our forecast for the next 4 days....

Tonight,  Jan 16  Mostly Clear Low 23f  

Wed,  Jan 17  Sunny  High 31f / Low 24f

Thu,  Jan 18  Mostly Cloudy  High 40f / Low 35f

Fri, Jan 19  Showers  High 42f / Low 29f

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I wish I would return to normal temps.

Bobby, those look like my forecasted highs the next couple days.  My normal highs are in the mid 60s.  And I am getting sleet to boot.  YOu should see the nonstop coverage this is getting on the local news.  Of course when you have winter precip once every 10 years, this is big news.  Good thing, if it can be called good, is that lows are not really going below 30F.

Who's got my rain?

It is "ridiculously" sunny, warm and dry here. We should be in the dark and wet hearth of the rainy season but we had no rain since early November. Weeds sprouted and stayed "bonsai", set seeds and died. Papayas are ripening and tropicals are happy. A change might come, as snow capped the volcano Teide just four days ago, but still no rain and no cold fronts.

I don't mind about some extra warmth in winter, but where is the rain?  ???

Carlo, Tenerife

(Carlo Morici @ Jan. 18 2007,09:03)

Who's got my rain?

It is "ridiculously" sunny, warm and dry here. We should be in the dark and wet hearth of the rainy season but we had no rain since early November. Weeds sprouted and stayed "bonsai", set seeds and died. Papayas are ripening and tropicals are happy. A change might come, as snow capped the volcano Teide just four days ago, but still no rain and no cold fronts.

I don't mind about some extra warmth in winter, but where is the rain?  ???

Carlo, Tenerife

Carlo,

Well its not us here in SoFlo that stole your rain.  :)  We're still well below normal, even though yesterday we had about a half an inch. With all this warmth, I'm also picking ripened papayas and with yesterday's rain, my largest Livistona Chinensis opened its first inflorescense. My Syagrus Schizophylla is also blooming, along with night blooming jasmine and hordes of other stuff. With all this happening, just hoping the warmth holds out for the remainder of winter.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Well, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the breadfruit tree unfolding a leaf.

In my case, I don't think it is going to last... February is our coldest month and it has yet to arrive. But tropicals are in better shape than ever: clinostigmas are still ok, and papayas (a good reference) still have most of their crown intact.

But the drought is unbelievable: I almost kill my plants because I am not used to water in winter. had never seen the weeds dying in January. Some of endemic euphorbias are shedding leaves, like in late spring ! Dew is the only thing helping to keep the natives in shape.

I am glad Floridians did not steal my rain.

Carlo

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 18 2007,13:04)

I'm also picking ripened papayas and with yesterday's rain,

Im pretty sure my neighbor is sick of eating mine.

I like papaya trees....but the fruit is not very tasty to me :D

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 18 2007,14:04)

I like papaya trees....but the fruit is not very tasty to me :D

Larry,

You know thats funny. I don't care for the fruit either and give all mine away. The folks love em. I just enjoy growing them and the tropical look of them.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I did not love papayas until I met the new cultivar 'Red Lady', which is much sweeter than others (and also happens to do better than others in cool weather). Also I realized that fruits ripening in spring are tasteless, like "soap". While fruits ripening in June-January are sweet and good.

People from cold climates go crazy about papayas, when they see the trees with all those "melons"!!! And when you explain that you planted them 6 months before!

Carlo

Carlo,

I assume the fruit inside is red? I'll have to track down one of these and put in the yard to try. They're really good for you, but as I said, I just haven't cared for the varieties I've tried.

By the way, I don't think our dry spell is near as intense as yours. If even the native plants are struggling, it must be bad.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

It is not red-red inside... it is bright orange, redder than normal. It is a great cultivar and it is all hermaphroditic. They are bit sensitive to mosaic and papaya ring viruses (less in their 2nd year), but that's how papayas are: you plant 10 you get 8.

I wish to understand when to kill the flower/fruits that would ripen in Spring (tasteless), so the trees could concentrate their efforts in the ones that will ripen in other times.

This dry spell is bad! I used landscape fabric to kill the weeds in a field and after the weeds died, the soil beneath it was cracked like the deserts in the cartoons. Yesterday I decided to water the natives around the garden (succulent scrubland!) because it was too much.

Carlo

Article in todays SunSentinel stated this winter so far, in SoFlo, has been about 8 to 10 degrees warmer than normal. I can believe it.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(Carlo Morici @ Jan. 18 2007,14:00)

Well, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the breadfruit tree unfolding a leaf.

In my case, I don't think it is going to last... February is our coldest month and it has yet to arrive. But tropicals are in better shape than ever: clinostigmas are still ok, and papayas (a good reference) still have most of their crown intact.

But the drought is unbelievable: I almost kill my plants because I am not used to water in winter. had never seen the weeds dying in January. Some of endemic euphorbias are shedding leaves, like in late spring ! Dew is the only thing helping to keep the natives in shape.

I am glad Floridians did not steal my rain.

Carlo

Carlo,

I think that Southeast Brazil took your rain.  They have major problems there this year.  And, it is supposedly and El Nino effect.  We also have had a very rainy January.  The other day we were at 262 mms for January with 15 days till the end of the month.  The average is 200 mms for January.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 19 2007,06:25)

Article in todays SunSentinel stated this winter so far, in SoFlo, has been about 8 to 10 degrees warmer than normal. I can believe it.

Using data from my weather station-----

December 2006

Actual

75.5F Average High

59.6F Average Low

67.6F Average Temp

Average

74F Average High

52F Average Low

63F Average Temp

January 2007 (through Jan 18th)

Actual

74.6F Average High

59.5F Average Low

67.1 Average Temp

Average

72F Average High

50F Average Low

61F Average Temp

The highs havent been as much out of bounds (in my yard anyway) as have been the lows.  There have been quite a few days this winter where there have been 5-10F differences in high temperatures between my yard and areas further inland (due to more cloud cover and flow off the Gulf.)  I work pretty far inland and yesterday when I drove home I was close to putting the A/C on, yet by the time I got to Tarpon Springs, I almost needed heat as it was in the low 60's!

Larry 

Got some bad news (tho nothing like what poor CA has endured)........

I looked at the 15-day forecast and let's hope inAccuwx is wrong.  Around 1/30, they're suggesting a low of 39 for St. Pete.

Say it ain't so!  I like our zone 11 winters!

More worrisome is this dry weather.  We're back to water restrictions and most of central FL is under Fire Weather Watch.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

If this map is even remotely correct, the odds have now switched to our side.

ESPRIN50.JPG

Larry 

Around 1/30, they're suggesting a low of 39 for St. Pete.

Oh no.... get out the snow plows !!!.. Hide indoors.. lol

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 19 2007,09:19)

I looked at the 15-day forecast and let's hope inAccuwx is wrong.  Around 1/30, they're suggesting a low of 39 for St. Pete.

While is may be so........

These accuweather forecasts are usually so far out (and fetched) that I dont even look at them much anymore!

So far these past few years....NWS has been the best bet for my area.   As such, I now just wait and see what they forecast.  I guess they have realized after so many years of forecasting that its not worth trying to put down in writing what might happen 2 weeks down the line.  Its better to wait it out until there is more certainty.

Larry 

And even the 5 day NWS forecast will change as the last (5th) day approches. Does that sentence make sense?

Weather forecasting is such an inexact science, they have trouble getting it right 24 hours in advance.

Mind you I have never thrown a milkshake at a WEATHERMAN! :laugh:  

They do their best,with all the variables involved, but I hate the HYPE sometimes.

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Well still enjoying 10a weather up here, getting a fair amount of rain as well. All the trees (azaleas, loquats, etc.) think its spring hope it doesn't freeze next week. My neighbor was cutting firewood and said its supposed to get down in the 20's. Hope he's wrong.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(Alicehunter2000 @ Jan. 20 2007,21:04)

Well still enjoying 10a weather up here, getting a fair amount of rain as well. All the trees (azaleas, loquats, etc.) think its spring hope it doesn't freeze next week. My neighbor was cutting firewood and said its supposed to get down in the 20's. Hope he's wrong.

David, I've had a 10a winter too, the problem is that the days it was 30-32F, we had ice.  But it hasn't really gone below 30.  For 2 days it stayed in the low 30s with freezing rain all day, though.

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 19 2007,10:34)

If this map is even remotely correct, the odds have now switched to our side.

ESPRIN50.JPG

Larry,

Yet another great map! Gives me even more encouragement to get out and get on with the spring planting.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 21 2007,07:37)

Larry,

Yet another great map! Gives me even more encouragement to get out and get on with the spring planting.

Zone 10-

If you are a betting man......odds have been in your favor since of 1/10!

I am behind you (my yard sits right on the 1/20 line), but that hasnt stopped me from planting all year long :D

Larry 

Tampa got split in half again.

Article from the Palm Beach Post today. The unusually warm winter has even the Baobob trees blooming 4 months early.

Palm Beach Post article

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Still zero rain but a cold is finally arriving, and this morning we even had a light rain announcing a cold front. The drought has been conspicuous: even weeds in non irrigated fields are dying. The former rainy season had its last rain in April 2006. Then we had just one hevy rain in early November and nothing drenches the soil since then. The North Coast and the SW had good showers 10 days ago, but not here.

I live by one baobab here in the center of Santa Cruz and it has been so warm it still has its leaves. Downtown Santa Cruz , is warm on the coast. During the last month minimums were almost always at 18-20 C.

But some cold arrived 3 days ago and the termometer dropped to 15 C (thankfully for many crops, not so thankfully for most tropicals). The baobab started to shed leaves. Days have been still sunny and windless with a peak of 26-27 C during the day, but today we are just a few degrees above 20 C.

Carlo

Here in northwest of Mexico it`s been pretty warm till a few nights ago when we hit 6.5-7ºC. Last night was 9.4ºC back again. And are getting more winter rainfall than usual. Max are in the usual 25-30ºC.

This is my cousin`s garden at 26.5ºN. It`s very warm in there (south border of the Sonora desert) nothing is damaged by the usual cold nights this time of the year, also it`s been rainier.

viajesmisc022.jpg

You are in the desert, Leo: warm days and cold nights. My papayas are much stouter than the one of your cousing, but mines do look quite sick in winter. What is your altitude?

I am at 28 N - as for minimum temps we are a sound zone 11 but we are oceanic and out of the tropics, so lack of winter warmth can leave the papayas quite sick and wind-thorned.

Tomorrow!! Tomorrow it is going to rain!!!

Hi Carlo,

I`m in 24ºN, it`s semi-arid, 800 mm of anual rainfall and about 50 msnm, zone 11 (my cousin is at 26ºN, just south of the Sonora desert).

Breadfruits keep pushing new leaves in here, it`s hot year round.

RAIN! RAIN! RAIN!

It is really raining, after 2,5 months of (non-)rainy season.

This is today, with my neighbour driving the machine, a young papaya on the left (see the broken leaves and ...) and the hills with the dry grasslands behind.

DSCN4741_redimensionar.jpg

And this is a breadnut (A.camansi) in the valleys, at 110 asl ... he, he... unfolding a new leaf in full winter, but see: this is a zone 11 out of the tropics. That's how it looks even if this year the termometer never got below 12-13 C until now. Once they get some trunk, they start to do better.

DSCN4672_redimensionar.jpg

Well, and since now I will be out of topic, because the ridiculously warm (and dry) winter has probably ceased today.

Carlo, you got a beautiful landscape in the background down there. I like mountains a lot.

The new breadfruit`s emergent leaf seems very healthy. I guess if you think it`s going to be colder from now on you should protect it (being it so young). I took this breadfruit picture earlier today and shows what 7ºC in a single night can do!!!! (that temp was 3 nights ago), now we`re back into the 10-11ºC range, but the damage it`s already done, it`s not that bad, though. With some luck that would be worst of this winter.

breadfruit1.jpg

breadfrui2.jpg

Saludos.

Leonel.

Leo, the lowest recorded temperature in that area is 10 C, and this is what is going to come in the next month. The "rusty" spots you got on your leaves at 7 C look like the ones I got when we hit just 14 C !!! It is not much a question of cold intensity here, it is the length of the winter.

In the Souh of this island they grow and fruit "freely", but I am not "en el Sur".

And it is still raining  :laugh: and raining and it seems it will last quite a few days. Nights are cold as usual with 15 C at midnight, maybe 14 C later in the morning.

Shoot me for starting this thread.  What was I smoking??

Ray