IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More on the ridiclously warm winter

SubTropicRay

Here's another article from the South Florida Sun Sentinel, where scientists are now predicting 2007 to be the hottest year recorded and fewer hurricanes for Florida and the east coast.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news....adlines

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Not everyone has been above average.  We have been right at average, and some areas of the southwest have been below average.  These things will balance themselves out.

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 04 2007,15:29)

Here's another article from the South Florida Sun Sentinel, where scientists are now predicting 2007 to be the hottest year recorded and fewer hurricanes for Florida and the east coast.

ZoneTenNut,

I sure hope they are right on this 2007 forecast, but they COMPLETLY missed their hurricane predictions for 2006.

I'm glad they did,but this just reenforces how fickle mother nature can be. And how long term forcasting is GUESSING at best! Maybe educated guessing, but guessing none the less! :P

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Jan. 04 2007,18:52)

(ZoneTenNut @ Jan. 04 2007,15:29)

ZoneTenNut,

I sure hope they are right on this 2007 forecast, but they COMPLETLY missed their hurricane predictions for 2006.

I'm glad they did,but this just reenforces how fickle mother nature can be. And how long term forcasting is GUESSING at best! Maybe educated guessing, but guessing none the less! :P

Scott,

I'd have to agree with you 100%, but interesting reading none the less. Living on a peninsula smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley, we'll always be at risk. As such and with the experience of 3 hurricanes in the last couple years, I've learned to plant more hurricane resistant palms and trees, prune judiciously, etc. Oh yeah, I also pulled down about 15 large pines from around my house. Don't want to go through the stress again, of wondering if one of them was going to come crashing down on us. Hated to do it, but had to. I too am hoping the fewer hurricanes in 2007 prediction comes true.  :)

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

ZoneTenNut

The sobering reality of dealing with Mother Nature  :o

The Southwest experiences too much drought for water-dependent palms/subtropicals.   :(  $$

Winter hasn't been particularly warm in LA [DEC 71.8 / 51.3] - one degree above normal.

I'm surprised by comments from Florida since your winter is generally warm & dry, right?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Warm, I wish. Its freezing right now at a temp of 36F. And its been in the middle 30's the past several nights not to count the mid 20's wehad not to long ago. I wish we had the same weahter as lets say jacksonville right now.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

I like the way they just pick random insignificant people to interview.  Do they actually go out and interview these people in various states or does someone just sit behind a desk making up nice little stories?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(happ @ Jan. 04 2007,21:50)

I'm surprised by comments from Florida since your winter is generally warm & dry, right?

That is correct. However this year is warmer than usual and we seem to be getting more rain than is typical. In my area, we are still way below normal rainfall. I think the Florida folk in Central and Northern Florida are getting more rain than us. What I'm also observing though, is our humidity is consistently high and this time of year it should be much lower. Not complaining though, as my palms love this weather and show it.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Everything thinks it's spring.  I hope we don't get a nasty February.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 05 2007,07:16)

Ray

No kidding! I've got major spring blooming and new growth happening on just about everything right now.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Looks like the party might at least slow down early next week.   I see that NWS is calling for lows in the 40's for most areas around Tampa Bay on Tuesday night/Wednesday AM with very stiff winds (perhaps gusting to over 30 mph).

Man this will be hard to take with all these 68-70 degree mornings as of late!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

This is from my local newspaper  www.timesdispatch.com  Dec 9th it was 16.2  in my frontyard/20.2 in my backyard,  but since then it has been at or above normal   this is more of a cycle  then global warming ........ I can remeber years where I have had more snow here in central Virginia  then they have had in western, NY( Tonawanda)  where I grew up untill 1976.   I remember days  in the winter in Buffalo in the mid to uper 70's in January also.  

It just feels weird'

Warm weather brings out hikers, golfers, gardeners

BY REX SPRINGSTON AND PETER BACQUE

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITERS Jan 5, 2007

Rijnveld's Early Sensation daffodils are in bloom at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden.

LINDY KEAST RODMAN  

Flowers are blooming, turtles are basking and people are out in shorts.

Is this normal?

"I think Al Gore is correct," said Richmond restaurateur Manny Mendez, hiking a trail near Maymont while wearing shorts and sandals.

Taking a cue from the former vice president, Mendez says global warming must be playing a role in this balmy winter weather.

"It just feels weird, especially around the holidays," said Mendez's friend and co-hiker, Maris Wurdeman of Richmond. "It's kind of eerie."

But at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, where numerous plants are blooming weeks ahead of normal, retired civil engineer Gus Diezemann of Hingham, Mass., thought otherwise.

"It's just one of those cyclical things," he said. "It happens."

Global warming or not, Richmond is definitely springing into winter.

The unusual warmth traces most immediately to a persistent weather pattern that has funneled warm, southern air over the eastern U.S., while the West has gotten cold, northern flow.

"They've got the [cold] trough and we've got the [warm] ridge," said Tony Siebers, the meteorologist in charge of the Wakefield Weather Forecast Office. "Let's hope this pattern holds for a while, at least for us."

"Temperatures are well above normal right now, but we've had warm winters before," said the National Weather Service's Ed O'Lenic, chief of the U.S. Climate Prediction Center's long-range forecast branch.

Almost all of Virginia experienced above-normal temperatures in six of the past 10 years, according to O'Lenic, and the state's highland areas saw even more above-normal years during that time.

While this winter's warmth is part of that trend, "It's impossible to ascribe this to the El Nino going on or to global warming," O'Lenic said. "It's just one weather event."

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

Florida was also dry in 2006.  33.5 inches for all of 2006 in Vero Beach, similar elsewhere, very close to the driest recorded.  At least the early cool season has been damp, if not really wet.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Palmy @ Jan. 05 2007,00:04)

Warm, I wish. Its freezing right now at a temp of 36F. And its been in the middle 30's the past several nights not to count the mid 20's wehad not to long ago. I wish we had the same weahter as lets say jacksonville right now.

Where are you? You should list this in your tag.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It has been very cold here in San Diego. Last night dropped down to 38 degrees. So, we here are not getting to share in this abnormal weather. Nature, however, always has a way to balance everything out.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Larry, the warmth will return shortly thereafter.  No worries.

(Ray @ Tampa,Jan. 06 2007,18:26)

Larry, the warmth will return shortly thereafter.  No worries.

Ray,

That medication must be something! :D

Converts a pessimist winter weatherman into a flag waving optimist!

"No worries"

Just how long were you in AUSSIELAND? :cool:

By the way does anyone else have BLOOMING azaleas?

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Jan. 06 2007,19:34)

No Azaleas in my yard...but everything else that can bloom sure seems to be.  

My neighbor has a Hibiscus hedge thats about 8-10 ft tall along his side fence and its dripping tens of flowers a day into my yard.

Larry 

(gsn @ Jan. 06 2007,19:34)

Ray,

That medication must be something! :D

Converts a pessimist winter weatherman into a flag waving optimist!

"No worries"

Just how long were you in AUSSIELAND? :cool:

Until proven othewise, I am still going under the assumption that someone has stolen Ray's username and password  :D

Larry 

(Dave-Vero @ Jan. 06 2007,16:55)

Florida was also dry in 2006.  33.5 inches for all of 2006 in Vero Beach, similar elsewhere, very close to the driest recorded.  At least the early cool season has been damp, if not really wet.

Fortunately that was not the case over here Vero Dave.  I logged probably 250% of that rainfall here in Tarpon Springs.

Larry 

NO FAIR!  I Want Global warming to make it warmer than usual here in Southern California too!!!! :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 06 2007,21:49)

NO FAIR!  I Want Global warming to make it warmer than usual here in Southern California too!!!! :(

BS-

Im not sure about the global warming part, but Ill take this run of warm days as long as it lasts.  I believe that the warmest December on record around here was in the early 70's?  

But, it does always seem that things even out over time.

Larry 

This has been an incredibly warm winter so far. It's been great. Today, it was probably close to 90 degrees F. A little scattered rain would compliment this nicely.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dare I say it BUT... if we get a cold snap, nothing and I mean nothing, is HARDENED-OFF! :(  

Spring growth on everything.

I have my fingers and toes crossed this doesn't happen.

This post will self destruct in 10 seconds! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(Ray @ Tampa,Jan. 05 2007,07:16)

Ray

I sure hope not.

My ixoras are still blooming - they've never gone this long before, and today I noticed allamanda blooming profusely somewhere.   Plus, the palmies are pushing new fronds quite happily.

Today's St. Pete Times reported that cherry blossoms are even appearing - in New York!  ??

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Were you at my house!?!?

If this is winter, Ill take it.

Allamanda.jpg

Clerodendron1.jpg

Clerodendron2.jpg

Clerodendron3.jpg

Larry 

Nice job Larry.  I'm going to have to come visit and see the place in person.  How is D. decipiens doing?

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 07 2007,09:53)

Nice job Larry.  I'm going to have to come visit and see the place in person.  

Any time you like Ray.

Larry 

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 07 2007,09:53)

How is D. decipiens doing?

I prefer not to discuss that  :D

I did everything by the book on that palm....copied Tim Hopper's online description he posted about how to pot it, used rocks around the top of the soil for drainage, made sure it wasnt too deep, used fast draining mix,  etc etc....and it still croaked on me about 2 months ago :(

Larry 

I totally forgot to mention how nice it was to see your pix of allamanda and clerodendrum.   And, of course, the palms.

Re:  the demise of decipiens - I wonder if it's just too tricky, growing the dypsis species here that do well in CA.  Sure, some people in FL have good results with decipiens (and barronii), but they just may have stronger plants or a special "knack" for growing them.

My lutescens is growing like a weed - like the last one - but I hear a number of people have had trouble with them in CA.

The last one had such nice form - it'd be a good size by now if I still had it.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 07 2007,11:08)

I totally forgot to mention how nice it was to see your pix of allamanda and clerodendrum.   And, of course, the palms.

Re:  the demise of decipiens - I wonder if it's just too tricky, growing the dypsis species here that do well in CA.  Sure, some people in FL have good results with decipiens (and barronii), but they just may have stronger plants or a special "knack" for growing them.

My lutescens is growing like a weed - like the last one - but I hear a number of people have had trouble with them in CA.

The last one had such nice form - it'd be a good size by now if I still had it.

I have 6 clumps of dypsis lutescens here in SD since it is my favorite palm. My were all Hawaii born. No problems with them and they are in the ground 4 years now. Here's my favorite one.

dypsislutescensandcrotons.jpg

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

This winter has been a little wierd in the bay area. The bay area saw some cold temps a month ago or so. I live in a very cold part of the bay area it would seem, a micro climate.  They are calling again for mid 20's here, with a chance for snow above 1000 feet.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Funny, but we had a cooler than average spring, and summer still hasn't really hit town yet...coolest dec/jan in quite a while.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(epicure3 @ Jan. 07 2007,22:15)

I have 6 clumps of dypsis lutescens here in SD since it is my favorite palm. My were all Hawaii born. No problems with them and they are in the ground 4 years now. Here's my favorite one.

Oooooh, niiiiice :)

Notice the blue-white crownshaft, peeking out from behind the fronds.  Honestly, I think lutescens is one of the most wonderful - what other palm has a crownshaft of mint-blue, white and gold, and such graceful fronds above it?

Also - I really like your concrete retaining wall, it's a great accent.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 09 2007,00:00)

(epicure3 @ Jan. 07 2007,22:15)

Oooooh, niiiiice :)

Notice the blue-white crownshaft, peeking out from behind the fronds.  Honestly, I think lutescens is one of the most wonderful - what other palm has a crownshaft of mint-blue, white and gold, and such graceful fronds above it?

Also - I really like your concrete retaining wall, it's a great accent.

Thanks for the kudos. When I moved in, that spot was inhabited by a queen palm. We can't have any of that now.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Daryl @ Jan. 08 2007,05:10)

Funny, but we had a cooler than average spring, and summer still hasn't really hit town yet...coolest dec/jan in quite a while.

Daryl

I've read that by other Aussie posters.  How much cooler than normal has it been in Queensland ?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW