IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The brom that was... what?

BS Man about Palms

So- may have asked this privately...a long time ago, but not here

Probably 5 or 6 years ago I fond a unique Brom at a hardware store some100 + miles from here.

The person working there said the last one she saw like it was several years before... anyway, the flower was very different, the leaves kinda average...

Sorry for the poor old pics...

post-27-040105000 1299447273_thumb.jpg post-27-098601900 1299447317_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If I had known how little it took to keep these going... it would have made it.. Anyway it its gone now ...and I'd like to find another... any ideas where?

post-27-015698400 1299447507_thumb.jpg post-27-067751500 1299447572_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BUT ..now I found this different one at the big box store.... what is it? common?

I like the yellow... :D

post-27-049405600 1299448234_thumb.jpg

Got this one too... but more common I think.

post-27-053498400 1299448396_thumb.jpg

William, your photo "skills" give me a whalin' headache!! ;)

Your first plants are Guzmania, probably G. 'Major'. Most of these are raised right over the hill at Kent's Nursery (big white greenhouses) off Osborne St. in Vista for the retail market.

Second plant looks to be a form of Vriesea and get it out of the sun pronto!

Lastly, Vriesea 'Splenriet', another shade lover. Both prefer slightly damp soil, not wet just damp.

Thanks Greg... yes- my old camera was REALLY bad!

You think the one in post #3 is a Vriesea?... plus, it does not see much, if any sun under the magnifica

• 3 weeks later...

So....bumping this because I recently stumbled across a "rare or tropical" display at one of my big box stores... found some broms I don't normally see.. Everyone think the names are right?

post-27-096798300 1301013493_thumb.jpg

post-27-085975600 1301013612_thumb.jpg

No name on this one....Funny part is that I'm just clueless enough on these I very well could have bought ones I have, but I don't think so...

post-27-051189600 1301013693_thumb.jpg

this one has a name?

post-27-058159700 1301013783_thumb.jpg

These 2 had the names on the side...

post-27-095876000 1301013869_thumb.jpg

I thought this is a common one, but then I thought maybe I only see it at collectors homes...dunno

post-27-046505800 1301013908_thumb.jpg

A couple more without names...

post-27-088272500 1301014069_thumb.jpg

I like this one due to the flower. I've noticed many look the same until they bloom..

post-27-007144800 1301014111_thumb.jpg

Speaking of which, many of my other broms are starting to flower..do they make viable seeds?

This one is fairly good size...but no name...

post-27-069293900 1301014262_thumb.jpg

Thanks to anyone with advice on these....

what exposure

names

Shon?

Greg?

:D

Wow, Bill, look at choo! Bromeliad addict in the making! The names are impeccably correct -- Rainforest Flora is a reliable outfit and they know exactly what they are doing.

The first unknown is a Cryptanthus, possibly 'Ruby Red', but that's just a guess. ( Edit: I find Cryptanthus difficult to keep alive. Shade and consistent moisture needed, but not so much to rot the plant. Tricky.) The Neoregelias will need some sun to keep their color, but don't burn them. Like palms coming out of a greenhouse, they will need gentle acclimation. :)

Let me post this and I'll check out the rest.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Okay, in post #10 it looks like you have a little Vriesea and the last two are Guzmania, but no idea of the exact names. The last Guzmania is a little past its prime. It's going to slowly dry up and die, but look for the offsets at the base, and when they get about 1/3 the size of the parent, you can carefully detach them and have clones just like the parent. No direct sun for those last three. Now Gonzer's turn to step in and correct all my mistakes... :rolleyes:

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanx Kim. I figured one or two might be guzmania's...plus, i've learned to look for little pups if I can..

the one in #11 has a little offspring.. and the top one in #10 has 3 or 4 kids.. :D

Kim, you did just fine! That varigated Neo looks like one of Skotak's creations.

(Bill, Chester Skotak does/did amazing things with Neo's). Put 'em out of the direct sun then "Let them go forth and multiply".

Kim, on a side note, another trip to John Arden's tomorrow. Yee Ha!

So, are any of them rare as such? Or only so if you don't know where to find them?

I really like the tiger striping on the top one in post #7

You have good taste, Bill. :winkie: That first one would be my pick of the litter as well. The Neoregelia pauciflora is more common, but hey, I like it. :) I really don't know much about 'rarity' in bromeliads. They reproduce so quickly, nothing stays rare for long.

Kim Cyr

I forgot I had put 2 others in a different spot. I think they are Guzmania"s ?

Nice orange color.. little pups already

post-27-054775800 1301447481_thumb.jpg

dunno, something different and actually less than $5 so why not?

post-27-052903500 1301447530_thumb.jpg

And then this one whatever it is seems REALLY happy and is pupping wildly... :)

post-27-017332300 1301447654_thumb.jpg

Congratulations William, you are now the proud owner of your first Tillandsia..T. cyanea. Lower light, slightly moist and when the flowers pop out of the inflorescence...Voila!

Tcyanea005.jpg

Wow! Thats pretty cool!

REALLY?

Should I be seeking mental care somewhere about now?... got some others...

post-27-070812000 1302133555_thumb.jpg

Named ones..

post-27-052288500 1302133601_thumb.jpg

They brought in some more different ones..

post-27-084810900 1302133662_thumb.jpg

Although some of the others I left looked like ones I might have... but I really don't know...

post-27-013585600 1302133708_thumb.jpg

I also got some more "unnamed" ones..

post-27-028927400 1302133788_thumb.jpg

Its amazing what a little shade does for my appreciation of these..

post-27-038428200 1302133856_thumb.jpg

Although I think some would like some more light...

post-27-032175900 1302133927_thumb.jpg

I guess I'll have to just experiment!! I wonder if the first one in post#10 is the same as this... :blink:

post-27-041045100 1302133964_thumb.jpg

I wonder how many are duplicates... I can't always tell.. but I did get a few extra of those vresias... :)

post-27-032527700 1302134114_thumb.jpg

But the bloom on this older one opening up could prove interesting... :huh:

post-27-087272400 1302134159_thumb.jpg

test bump with photo download test... (for some reason had not been able to download pics from my Firefox browser for some time, new FF 4.0 just downloaded seems to have fixed it.. :D )

post-27-044989200 1302187399_thumb.jpg

yep, Hooray!

I see you have picked up on how they enhance that houailou trunk, very complementary. Methinks you are hooked! :) Come to the meeting Saturday in Balboa Park. You get a free brom if you join. B)

Kim Cyr

good job, Bill :) :). Welcome to another addiction.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I see you have picked up on how they enhance that houailou trunk, very complementary. Methinks you are hooked! :) Come to the meeting Saturday in Balboa Park. You get a free brom if you join. B)

Thanks Kim. thats actually a "watermelon" macrocarpa.. but you are right..they look good there...

As for Sat, I'll be helping out at Phils... :( .. . :)

Thanks to Gene and Ari..it is starting.. mostly Shon is at fault. :P

Glad to see your interest in Brom's Bill. J try and stick with Neo's cause the flower stays below the cup, on the few freezing nights that we have I must cover them all up with 3 or 4 layers of bed sheets, hence the problem with the tall flowers of the other species, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

stick with Neo's cause the flower stays below the cup

Ed, that's too easy for Bill. We'll get him hooked on Alcanterias. All seriousness aside Bill, don't forget that with your new Vrieseas, Guzmanias and Neo's you're going to have to do some overhead watering at times to make sure the cups have some water in them.

yeah, OK :blink:

My own interest in Brom's is recent given a current fascination for Peruvian fauna and flora. I saw a few in planters around Lima, but the climate here in Arequipa is too harsh. That is, until you go even higher..

"Queen of the Andes" (Puya raimondii). See a striking example: here

"Puya raimondii is the largest known bromeliad, forming a rosette around 3 meters high and reaching 10 to 12 meters in flower. Legend has it that the plant takes 150 years to flower, whereupon it dies without forming offsets. More recent estimates reduce the time for maturity to between 80 and 100 years (Rauh, 1970-73). Puya raimondii grows in the Andes of Peru and Bolivia at around 4,000 meters, and is said to be threatened with extinction (for a description of a conservation project in Bolivia, see Musch, 1997). A specimen flowered in the University of California-Berkeley Botanical Garden from August through November of 1986 - in the somewhat milder California climate the plant took only 28 years to flower from seed (Lineham, 1987)" Source: http://anwyl.com/puya_photos.htm

I understand that Puya raimondii flowers during May and October and reproduction occurs by seed distribution only. A single inflorescence is said to hold 6.4 million seeds. In this PDF entitled, "Viability and germination of seeds of Puya raimondi" there are some detailed images of the seed: http://www.scielo.or...n1/v11n1a09.pdf

I'm wondering when the inflorescence begins to shed its seed, based on the flowering times. Again, I'm new to bromeliads. Any ideas? smilie.gif

yeah, OK :blink:

Hey! Don't be making faces at me!

John's on the right track with the Puya raimondii. That would be a great showcase plant for all your palms. Unfortunately it won't grow here.

The face is for the watering, names and fertilising..not you... :lol:

I'm happy, I have at least learned to "submerge" the pots in the mulch.. If I had done that to the brom at the beginning of this thread, I suspect I would have had pups by now!

Found another..... No Tag.. Name?

post-27-023733200 1302566175_thumb.jpg

Found another..... No Tag.. Name?

post-27-023733200 1302566175_thumb.jpg