IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM SUGGESTIONS

PALM MOD

Len,

Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to look for my PM.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

If we were able to list photographs of different species in an ordered fashion from seed through to mature plants from diverse growing conditions from all of our members

This would make a great reference guide for all!!

Probably easier said than done and take up way to much space to do! As I’m no computer expert more like quite the opposite!!

Clayton.

This is a good idea, I can't imagine the space required to store it all, let alone online somewhere accessible. I have been working on my own photographic compliation of palms for years. It barely scratches the surface, even with thousands of palm photos, from seed to seeding. It would be easier if mulitple contribitors added to a single archive. With more and newer equipment, I am taking and storing photos faster and more efficiently. But this is not as fast as it could be, compared to what forum members could put together.

Ryan

South Florida

You guys stop using my avatar ;)

On a serious note how about a handy chart, located somewhere handy, showing Farenheight/ Celsius convertion <----see I can't even spell them let alone remember the convertion.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

conversion <----sorry

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David,

Find a chart and post it, or email it to me, and I'll get it into the FAQs.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 26 2006,23:40)

I wonder if we could kinda "pirate" Wikipedia and get some stuff started there?

Wikipedia is a fantastic data source.  I go there first now,  rather than Google a subject.  Wikipedia already has the framework for descriptions of all the Palm genera and species descriptions can be added easily.

A while back I contributed to expanding the Pritchardia section in Pacsoa,  as most of the species were not at that time,  described in any way,  let alone photographs.   Mike Gray is very helpful and so were a number of members of the IPS and board in providing photos / permissions.

If anyone plans to do this,  its wise to get hold of the original botanical descriptions of the palms,  but usually these have absolutely nothing about germination ,  growing requirements etc.  Most of that information is in the collective heads of many people.    In fact,  Wikipedia is the ideal mechanism for this information to be published and reviewed.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I agree with David about having a C/F conversion chart as its quicker than that calculation I always get wrong.

A chart of possible palm hardiness (with a note of all the usual warnings such as soil, location, size etc )would surely be helpful especially to those who are new to palm growing.

To them I suppose the IPS must seem a kinda hybrid cross between entering an Enchanted Kingdom and a veritable Dragons Den.

The fact is of course that we are a very friendly lot but maybe there is some way we can have a membership drive?

New members are our lifeblood.

Just a New Years thought . . .

Regardez all . . . including lurkers!

Juan

Juan

Check FAQs for temperature conversion charts.

Thanks to mike453.

I would love to see online access to back-dated "Palms" Journals.   There is a wealth of info in great articles that many have not seen.  Obviously, scanning these would be the most simple solution.  Even if this was a feature that was only available to paying members, or perhaps only those Journals of sufficient age were available to the general public, it is a feature that I'd love to see since I've missed all but the last year of publications.  (How many years of Palms / Principes publications have I missed anyway?! ??? )

I know there are Chapters around the world that also produce note-worthy publications with their own articles, and perhaps once these have aged just a bit, they could be also made available online to paying members, if Chapters were willing.  It would certainly give their authors a greater audience and give their Chapters greater note.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Kathy,

This is an excellent idea, and one that is in the works as we speak. This most likely will take place at the IPS website level. As I understand it, a lot of scanning has already taken place. How this is made available is still to be worked out. I would anticipate it would be accssible only to IPS members, or with some other type of access "charge."

I will be approaching some of the chapters with publications to see if they would be willing to make an occasional scanned article available for posting on the Forum for all to see. Thereby stimulating interest in their chapters as well.

I'm not sure exactly how or if the proper internet "mechanics" exist to make this work on the Forum, but it's worth a try.

If I recall correctly, the scanning project of back-issues has already been completed, but nothing will be accessible until the new site is up and running.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 3 weeks later...

How about a Shoutbox? A site I go on has one and members can post instant messages at the bottom of the page, which I find handy for asking questions I need quick answers to! Other members online see them and can reply straight away.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>