IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn/Spring that time again

Tyrone

On Wednesday it's going to be 18C min and 34C max then on Friday 8C min and 22C max!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bottom is just about to fall out of the weather hereblink.gif Going from Feb weather, skipping March and April and going straight into late May weather within 2 days. What the hell is going on?????????unsure.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Not quite sure what happens to the weather this year. I am just enjoying the rain while it lasts.... Unfortunately, I can't start my vegie patch until it stops raining... Oh well, back to the greengrocers this dry season, I think.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Run the bore Ari. You have all the right temps in winter to grow great vegies with the right amount of hydration. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

No.... Tyrone. I can't have veggies with this humidity... I need the dry...lol. Tomatoes will wilt, capsicum won't set... and the bok choi will go straight to seed....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No.... Tyrone. I can't have veggies with this humidity... I need the dry...lol. Tomatoes will wilt, capsicum won't set... and the bok choi will go straight to seed....

That's a pain. How do they grow vegies in equatorial climates?

Best regards

Tyrone

up on the mountain, Tyrone. Tropical highland :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

And I always thought that tomatoes and capsicums liked tropical weather because they come from the tropical parts of South America, but now that you mentioned those issues they must come from the Andes and not the lowlands. You learn something new every day. :D

Our mins drop down to single digits for two nights (must be clear nights) then we get rain and nights around 14C. Can't wait for the rain. Still got the air con on tonight. Cooler nights would be nice.

Best regards

Tyrone

That's a pain. How do they grow vegies in equatorial climates?

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, most capsicum peppers seem to do ok here. There are some that do better than others. There are tomatoes grown here as well. Although cherry tomatoes are the best. In recent years a lot more vegetalbes have been grown here commercially. Normally clear plastic is used overhead to control the moisture. And, in some cases they run fans throught these structures to keep the air moving. Most of our lettuce is not produced locally. Although a lot of it is grown in hydropnic gardens. Cabbage is also grown here. What does real good is watermellon, squash, and the like. And, although it is not a vegetable the pineapples grown here are outstanding. In fact some of the best I have ever tasted.

Tyone,

Tomatoes do come from a little higher altitude than I have here. I found some regional tomatoes in Peru which do alright in the lowlands. I lost the seeds though. They call them cats paw tomatoes here. And, there is a relative of the tomatoe called a cubiu which is very intersting. It is sort of tart with rather firm flesh. It has great medicinal properties.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Someone told me a long time ago that tomatoes produce better in a climate like California because it doesnt rain in summer. I believe they also said that its the rain in the humid climates that will cause the flowers to die, and may cause the plant to get bacteria and fungal infections more often. Not sure if its true but sounds logical. I have never seen veggies watered over head so it could be true.

Tomatoes are susceptable for humid/wet weather. Maybe it has to do with the dessert origin of some wild tomatoe. The Dutch climate is not realy the one for growing tomatoes...

Alexander

wet wet wet , 91mm last 24hrs to 9am at Tully Mill .

Brings year to date total to nearly 3m .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Breaking Weather News - Hottest April day in 10 years through southern WA

ALEX ZADNIK, 5 APRIL 2011

Hot northerly winds sent temperatures sky-rocketing through southern parts of Western Australia on Tuesday.

Many southern towns had their hottest April day in 10 years. This included Albany at 34 degrees, North Walpole at 34, Dwellingup at 34 and Manjimup at 33. These maximum temperatures are around 13 degrees above the April average.

Even Perth sweltered through some extreme April heat. The city reached 35 degrees, which is 10 above average. Perth airport managed a sweltering 36, 11 above average.

This heat in Perth was the culmination of a 16-day streak of maxima above 30 degrees, which is a new record for autumn.

Today's extreme heat was drawn down from northern parts of the state by increasing northerly winds ahead of an approaching front. This front will bring a cold and showery blast to southern parts of the state from Wednesday night into Thursday.

Albany will see another warm 29-degree day on Wednesday but then plummet to just 18 on Thursday as cold southwest winds and heavy showers develop in the wake of the front. Perth will see rainfall totals remain below 10mm on Thursday, but is in for its coldest day in over four months, with a forecast top of 21.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2011

Breaking Weather News - Abrupt end to Perth's Indian Summer

ALEX ZADNIK, 5 APRIL 2011

Perth has just experienced a record breaking run of autumn heat but it's all going to come to an abrupt halt on Thursday.

March was the hottest on record for the city and we have recently broken a record of consecutive days above 30 degrees. Tuesday 5th April is expected to be the 16th consecutive day above 30 degrees, smashing the previous autumn record of 12 set in 1998.

Wednesday will be the last day of warmth for some time, with a strengthening cold front bringing an increase in cloud and wind as it approaches late in the day. Brisk southwest winds will sweep through Perth on Thursday morning with the front, bringing showers and the coldest conditions in around 4-5 months.

Rainfall totals will probably only reach 1-5mm across the city on Thursday but could exceed 10mm through coastal suburbs. Despite the small rainfall totals, the showers will be welcome, given there has been nothing in the official gauge since the 1st February.

Perth will struggle to reach the low 20's on Thursday, so it looks like being the coldest days since last spring. The wintry chill will come as quite a shock to the system, as there hasn't been a maximum below 25 degrees since January.

Rain, rain & more bloody rain! its too wet & we are starting to cool down to. Overnight temps are in the mid teens.

Give me the sun back, its too early for winter yet :crying: .

Edited by Ntheastpalms

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Oh... Tyrone, that doesn't sound good :(

Matt, I hope you have your sunshine back before winter.... Cold & wet doesn't sound so good either

Still raining here... monsoon trough is hanging around. Probably the last hurrah... but that is what I said last trough. I don't mind either way. Although, if it doesn't stop raining very soon, there is no point on setting up the veggie patch... which makes this year the 2nd year I can't do veggies. Oh well, you gain some you loose some...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, the government is talking more positively about a pipeline from Lake Argyle now. About time if they want Perth to continue to explode in growth.

Got some drizzle overnight and another bit is coming through now. Once it's gone I'm off to work. Got to complete a garden install.

Palms have responded overnight with spears opening all over the place. You really can't beat rain for that. Irrigation works wonders, but there is something in rain that is special.

9C min tomorrow morning. :( Irrigation is off today. 23C once the showers clear which is actually quite nice. Haven't been that cool in months. Mid teens at night from then on with mid to high twenties during the day although one website has us back into the 30's for a stretch in a fortnight. The good news is the rain is back and we can at least expect some rain every week or so from now on. May looks like being wet, so maybe 120-140mm of rain in May.

Matt, I hope the sun comes out for you, and you don't descend into an early winter. :( At least your winters naturally are meant to be drier.

Best regards

Tyrone

Melbourne: Get outside and enjoy the summery spell while it lasts - the top temperature is expected to plummet by 10 degrees over the weekend as a blast of winter arrives.

Melbourne is in the midst of a pleasant four-day warm spell, with the mercury creeping over 23 degrees each of those days and reaching as high as 26 today.

The weather is expected to hit 27 degrees tomorrow, before wet and cold conditions roll in late tomorrow afternoon and evening.

On Sunday, the Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting a chilly top of just 17 degrees with scattered showers, which are expected to persist until Wednesday.

Weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said this could be the city’s last prolonged warm burst for the season.

‘‘Melbourne is in a four-day warm spell that is almost certainly not going to be repeated until spring,’’ he said.

Bureau forecaster Peter Newham said the past four days had been several degrees above the average maximum April temperature of 20.3 degrees.

‘‘Obviously it has been quite a good spell of warm weather,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s normal at this time of year through autumn to have these settled spells, these slow-moving highs where it’s quite pleasant.

‘‘Whether or not we can get into the mid to high-20s for a run of days again [this autumn], that could be hard.

‘‘Through this period the sun quite quickly gets lower in the sky and the days get shorter but ... we do have some computer models that go out 10 days and they suggest we could get back into some slightly warmer air by next weekend.’’ :(

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Michael, it looks like you're going to get the cold front that just went through here yesterday. It's a sunny 24C out there now. Very pleasant. Only got a few mm of rain but it reminded me of winter. Had a min this morning of 9C. Haven't had that for a while.

Best regards

Tyrone

Some decent rain and possible thunderstorms heading my way at the moment. Been 30C today and after sundown it's still 27C. The frogs are singing, the wind has completely dropped out, and I'm watching the radar. Cleaned the gutters this arvo just in case we get some heavy rain. Going for 17C tonight which is great for April and mid twenties to 30C again by the end of the week with rain a few times this week. Not too shabby. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

The sun has returned WOOOOHOOOO. Beautifull autumn weather here.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Does not take long for the long puddle I call a driveway to finally dry up . Sun B) nearly forgot what it looked like ..

herbicide time , and lots of it ..

better hop to it .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

The clouds are a bit more prominent down here now, but still plenty of sunshine. Low to high teens at night and mid twenties to low thirties during the day with the odd bit of precipitation. Rain again by the weekend after a 32C day. Not bad weather actually. Things are still growing fast at the moment. Going to fertilise everything today and plant some bromeliads out. UV has dropped considerably so time to sunharden things up.

Best regards

Tyrone

Someone flicked the switch today... still rain off the coast & south of us... but it is not going anywhere. We did have a good run and the growth has been amazing this wet season. So, time for dry season, so we can mow, spray for weeds, mulch & clean the mould... And of course, enjoy the Darwin busy dry season life!! Oh bummer, that means.... the caravan will be back in town....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Has to be the best day of the year so far, and it's only 8:30 am, I love mid Autumn.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's a balmy night out there at the moment (9.30pm). Clear skies slight breeze and 24C. Got the retic going. 34C tomorrow. The last bit of summer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hhhmmm.... the rain started again today. Not quite sure what is going on now... If it doesn't stop soon, there is no veggie patch for me. Oh well...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I put some Cherry Tomatoes in large pots, that's all my veggie garden is going to be.

Looking on the BOM site most of the rain has missed my place. Last night's was an exception.

35.7C here today after a 21.3C min, 36.3C at the airport. Clouds have just rolled in so maybe some rain?

I had to shade my newly planted Dypsis ampasinadavae with a potted Canna as I planted it with a bit too much sun for a 35.7C day. I honestly thought they'd long passed. It was just starting to tinge in places in the new growth. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

35.7C here today after a 21.3C min, 36.3C at the airport. Clouds have just rolled in so maybe some rain?

I had to shade my newly planted Dypsis ampasinadavae with a potted Canna as I planted it with a bit too much sun for a 35.7C day. I honestly thought they'd long passed. It was just starting to tinge in places in the new growth. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Those are very hot temps, Tyrone! It was fairly warm here also though only 91F\ 32.7C w/ a low of 66F\ 18.8C; cool onshore breezes should kick in by Monday for much lower temps this coming week. The rain season is essentially over now and probably starting in earnest for Western Australia, right?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I wish Happ. Some big drops this morning which wet the dust down and has created some very humid weather today but no official readings anywhere. About 27C and 60-70% RH at the moment. We had a min of 18.9C lastnight. Very very warm for this late in April for us. I'm not complaining.

Hopefully you get a nice warm growing season this year.

May is meant to be wet for us, so that will be nice if it happens. It also minimises the risk of cold nights being wet. Personally I think we'll have a warm mild wet winter this year and a mild coolish summer next season. This last summer was roasting with some unusual high humidity, so it must swing in the opposite direction statistically shouldn't it? SST are still quite high for my area. Could be another weird one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Freezing this morning - well at least for me :D . The dry is here with a vengeance. Pity I don't have a working weather station to see how cold it actually is!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

110mm of rain since saturday morning now it is officially very wet at my place. So wet infact that i saw two ducks bogged in my back yard :winkie: .

I want some more of that beautifull Autumn weather I had 3 days ago.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

19.1C overnight and cloudy. Going for a clearing 25C today. No bogged ducks here. 110mm of rain would do just nicely. Mid teens at night and mid to high 20's for the next week with a bit of cloud sometimes. I wonder if we'll skip winter temps this year. I wish. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

As predicted the cool ocean breeze took the temps down closer to normal [hi: 79F\ 26.1C, lo: 62F\ 16.6C]. A storm is coming ashore over far northern California and should cause the marine layer to develop and move inland by tomorrow morning. It is unlikely to rain in southern California but the rain season was phenomenal with all reservoirs over-flowing. What many thought was going to be a very dry La Nina year for the Western U.S. turn out to be the opposite with above normal rain totals and a very heavy snowpack in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The drought is over! :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was 22deg when I left for work this morning.... It means it was less than 20deg last night... No wonder it was cold!!! The kids were wearing jumpers to school this morning :winkie:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was 22deg when I left for work this morning.... It means it was less than 20deg last night... No wonder it was cold!!! The kids were wearing jumpers to school this morning :winkie:

LOL. You make me laugh, although my wife did go to work with a scarf this morning and it was around 20C when she went. The min was 19.1C. We're too soft for winter at the moment.

Best regards

tyrone

Don't. Just don't. :lol:

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Long time ago that I've posted something on this forum. Spring started very good over here with many days between the 15-20C/59-68F, and that's way above average for march/april. Has been very sunny and very dry, March was one of the sunniest months ever so got a top 10 place. April is going to same way, even lower rainfall and maybe even sunnier. Got a few days above the 20C already and only 4 mm of rain, March has got only 16 mm of rain. Farmers are giving water to there lands everywhere. We have seen dryness more similair in spring and that gives some warmer temperatures, specially when humidity is getting very low like now and the next few days, 20-30%.

The next 7 days temperatures from 23-25C/73.4-77F are forecasted and that's quite warm compared to our average from 14-15C/57.2-59F for this time of april. Also if we look further there are temperatures from 16-19C forecasted, sun and no rain. High pressure is on the right place to give us the winds from the good direction, with means northwest europe is warmer then Spain and Portugal this week.

post-171-034162000 1303205626_thumb.jpg

10420111920400.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Strong marine influence over coastal Southern California w/ lots of clouds and cool breezes; very typical for Spring. Rain is restricted to northern California but these systems increase the coastal clouds in the southern part of the state. Should stay about the same for a few more days; quite pleasant.

Hi: 71F\ 21.6C

Lo: 56F\ 13.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, our weather patterns are getting a bit closer together now. Today is cloudy with a lot of cirrus off the Indian Ocean after the cold fronts have all gone through south of the west coast missing any rainfall for us. The min was 11.1C and we're going for 26C today. About 25C around noon. The cloud is annoying me as I've just had solar panels installed and I've been watching the readout on the inverter to see what the output is peaking at. It's a 1.5kW setup but so far has peaked just shy of 1.1kW due to the cloud. I can't wait for a clear day to check it out.

3 month forecast is in for Oz

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

Looks like the southern parts of Oz are looking at a warmer than average winter with places like SE QLD and NE NSW getting above average rainfall at least until July. Not good for those who are already drenched in those areas. It's good news for my area as they're saying average rainfall from May -July which will make it a great winter. Should I protect the coconut? That is the question.

Best regards

Tyrone

The humidity & heat is back today.... I really don't know what happens to our predictable weather!!!! :unsure:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"