IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn/Spring that time again

Tyrone

Well, no one was going to put this up, so i thought I should.

What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Here it is still summer, but as Bob Dylan said "times they are a changin' "

Still hot here, but March is warmer than December anyway, so nothing unusual there.

Maybe rain tomorrow morning and a mild 29C. How delightful. :D The moisture that comes out of the air and sky is always welcome here. Even looks like a cold front may come within 1000km of us in a few days which is nice. We haven't seen one of those since about winter 2009.

Here's a report on our heat spell, which reminds me. I should put some potash on my Heliconia rostratas this arvo. Maybe the heat and the rain and potash may give them some ideas to actually flower.

Breaking Weather News - Hot days, warm nights almost over in Perth

JOSH FISHER, 3 MARCH 2011

A relentless stretch of hot days and warm nights in Perth have broken all time records.

The city has now seen 29 consecutive days of temperatures over 30 degrees, the longest stretch in the records, which started in 1897. The previous record was 25 days set back in 1988.

The cause of this heat wave has been a combination of dry weather and a continual bombardment of warm easterly winds caused by high pressure systems constantly lingering over the Bight.

Nights in Perth have stayed warm, now 18 consecutive nights above 20 degrees which is also an all time record.

A slightly cooler change on the weekend will allow temperatures to dip a few degrees, maximums just below 30 and minimums below 20 degrees. But, it should warm up again later in the week.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still mighty hot here Tyrone.

26mm of rain last night courtesy of a storm, this is a good time of year for the garden in my neck of the woods.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Nice spring like weather started here the third week of January and it's been pretty nice since then. We're now getting up to around 80F every day and lows around 60F, some days humid and sticky, some days low humidity, sunny and breezy (perfect!). Everything is starting to grow like crazy now. The Live Oaks are done dropping their leaves and are now putting out their new leaves and the flowers/pollen mess is beginning. We've had very little rain since early February so we're slowly drifting into drought once again. So far this has been a very nice late winter/early spring (we did not have spring last year, we went right from cold winter weather to summer heat at the end of March). I'm now rushing to get all the heavy work done before the heat and humidity set in, which usually happens in April.

Still raining here.... almost every day about 20mm a day. Very nice & perfect... overcast most day too, so cool and humid. Can't ask for anything more... except maybe for fine afternoon so I can mow. I haven't been able to mow for 4 weeks now. At this rate, I have to bring the slasher in... AGAIN

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Spring is just kicking off here in Louisiana. Second week in the mid 70's. Veggie garden is planted, and things are perking up.. Citrus are kicking off with lots of new growth.. Palms don't have quite enough heat and rain do their thing yet, but it's coming.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Coolest day in ages today. 26.6C in the metro and 28C at the airport. 29C tomorrow then nothing below 30C for the next week. Enjoying the cooler more pleasant weather. No need for the air con.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nights in Perth have stayed warm, now 18 consecutive nights above 20 degrees which is also an all time record.

A slightly cooler change on the weekend will allow temperatures to dip a few degrees, maximums just below 30 and minimums below 20 degrees. But, it should warm up again later in the week.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

It is interesting to look at climates around the globe. My climate is really sort of dull as I have mentioned before. I have seen many times where the high temperatures do not get below 30 C for 3 or maybe 4 months straight. And, it really never gets below 20 C. It will only do this in an extreme cold event where it has hit 18 C or maybe even a little lower on vary rare occaisions. This is the coolest time of the year as it is the rainy season and March is the wettest month of the year normally and this year looks like no exception.

It is carnaval week and rain is normal. But, that does not stop the party.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dull is good, Don.... plants love it dull :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

It is interesting to look at climates around the globe. My climate is really sort of dull as I have mentioned before. I have seen many times where the high temperatures do not get below 30 C for 3 or maybe 4 months straight. And, it really never gets below 20 C. It will only do this in an extreme cold event where it has hit 18 C or maybe even a little lower on vary rare occaisions. This is the coolest time of the year as it is the rainy season and March is the wettest month of the year normally and this year looks like no exception.

It is carnaval week and rain is normal. But, that does not stop the party.

dk

Yeah dull is good for plants Don.

We'll have the heaters back on in about 3 months time. From the plants point of view I'm not looking forward to it, but a change is nice.

It has cooled down now and the air has dried out, so it was coolish last night (17.5C) but that is still above average for March here. Back up above 30C next week.

Being about 3300km south of the equator we come under the influence of the subtropical ridge, and get the influence of the tropics in summer and antarctica in winter. The ridge will sit right on top of us soon so the night temps will start to drop then rise again as the highs move east. The climate here goes through a series of pulses from high to low in virtually everything but this summer was very stable hot and humid. With irrigation it's been really good for growth.

Best regards

Tyrone

I feel like I'm reading Twitter.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I feel like I'm reading Twitter.

As long as you're not saying we are twits, that's OK. :D

rain rain and more bloody rain

some very impressive pics of Barron Falls roaring

more floods around Cairns

bet the Bruce will go over .....again tomorrow

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Would love to see the Barron Falls at the moment.

Would love some rain down here at the moment. It's cooled off back to high twenties low to mid thirties during the day. Quite pleasant. But I want it to rain like crazy so we can get rid of those annoying Water Corporation adds which make it sound like it will never rain again, and that we are the problem and we should have 30 second showers and never water the garden more than once a month, and that developing new developments en masse on inadequate infrastructure is not the cause of our water shortage in the first place.

That's enough of my ranting. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Autumn is in the air here but the weather is glorious for humans. Mid 20's days and mid-teens nights. I cut the firewood yesterday which scored me a few brownie points. This summer has been the best we can ever hope for with record high average temperatures and regular rainfall. I'm looking forward to the winter to revive the cool growers and test the tender stuff.

I'm looking forward to the winter to revive the cool growers.

So am I. The Rhopies kind of slow right down now in the heat. Am looking forward to cool moist weather to push them along. I have some R bauerii var cheesemanii seedlings in my aquaponics biological pond filter in a cool spot. I've got 23 in there with coconut coir and perlite as a bit of an experiment. The water temp is around 22-23C and they're doing OK, but I'd expect them to take off once the air cools down and begins raining again. The R sapida Chathams have slowed way down. They laugh at our winters and think they're in late spring. Winter's not all bad.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi guys

No break from heat and humidity here in Durbs.... Havent seen a drop of rain for over a month! :crying::crying::crying:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Has your summer been a normal one Dennis or weird?

A bit breezy here at the moment with strong easterlies this morning and the last few minimums have been around 16C which feels quite cool, but is average for March. It's giving the palms that don't like heat some relief, but it wasn't enough for my inground Hedyscepe which died from all the heat. It was in full shade too. The high humid minimums would have done it in, combined with the high humid maximums we had a couple of weeks ago. Those in pots are OK although I think they've totally stopped, but the cool may make them move along.

A bit of a warm spell coming up (normal Feb weather) for the next week and some models are saying some rain and storms by the middle of the week into the weekend. I certainly hope so. Just potted up a heap of seedlings from community pots and would like some nice warm nights and humidity to settle them in well and push some growth.

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 21 Max 35Tuesday Sunny. Min 22 Max 35Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 32Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 32Friday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 31Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 30

Best regards

Tyrone

The rain continues in most parts of NSW..... except here. It'd be nice if just one cloud would drop its contents over us.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

27C at 11.30pm. Dry heat with low humidity.

A little wet here , 300mm last week , 400mm this week .

Year to date total 2.3 m :blink:

Another landslide down at Bingle Bay , the Bruce Hwy closed again :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It has been dryer for the last few days. I got my mowing done, finally.... I am sure the sun will speed the grass growth though. We are back to hit & miss storm for now. The monsoon has deserted us. At least the stormchasers are happy :angry: .

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A little wet here , 300mm last week , 400mm this week .

Year to date total 2.3 m :blink:

Another landslide down at Bingle Bay , the Bruce Hwy closed again :unsure:

2.3m already. Wow. We're not even at the end of March yet.blink.gif

The seasons first cold front has arrived in southern Brazil. No cold temperatures as such. But, the season there is changing and temperatures are falling. Here on the equator the rains continue.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The heat goes on here. 33C today, 18 min tomorrow and 31C.

Here's the forecast.

Sunday Sunny. Min 17 Max 31Monday Sunny. Min 18 Max 33Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 34Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 34Thursday Sunny. Min 20 Max 34

No rain in sight either, and we're not far from April now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Here's the forecast. This March has been very warm. Sunny all week.

Tuesday 20-34C

Wednesday 20-33C

Thursday 19-35C

Friday 20-36C

Saturday 22-36C

Sunday 22-35C

Monday 20-35C

Best regards

Tyrone

Very humid lastnight. 20C dewpoints all night and the Pinangas have all responded by opening new spears.

Wishy washy rain again..... missing out on the big drops over the last few days, which was only down the road at the HD shops. Oh well.... everything still grows well, but if I don't get decent rain soon, I have to start watering the shadehouse. The garden will be fine for a while longer....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

33.4C at the moment and climbing.

"Rain". What's that? :)

Best regards

Tyrone

We had about 150mm of rain last weekend, so no more complaining from me. Now it's PalmsZA and Tyrone's turn, we hope.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

We had 116mm in the last 3 days. It has been great!!! Hot during the day though.... I think this will be the last hurrah before the dry starts.... Can't complain, it has been a great wet season!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had the coolest night in ages last night dropping to 14.3C officially. But it still felt warm here and we put the air con on during the night. blink.gif Maybe the house held the heat I don't know. No real rain expected until about Easter time now. April is expected to be at least as warm as a normal March (16-29C). This March has been a normal February. With added water this year has actually been a great growth year. I wouldn't want to rely on rainfall though in my garden. Things would definitely have died without irrigation.

Best regards

Tyrone

Low in the arafura sea... apparently it might dump a lot of rain to us again.... Carlos all over again? We shall wait and see...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had the coolest night in ages last night dropping to 14.3C officially. But it still felt warm here and we put the air con on during the night. blink.gif Maybe the house held the heat I don't know. No real rain expected until about Easter time now. April is expected to be at least as warm as a normal March (16-29C). This March has been a normal February. With added water this year has actually been a great growth year. I wouldn't want to rely on rainfall though in my garden. Things would definitely have died without irrigation.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, why does Perth seem to have warmer temps than Sydney? Both about the same latitude but different climates. Still, it should even out?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, why does Perth seem to have warmer temps than Sydney? Both about the same latitude but different climates. Still, it should even out?

Mike, Perth is basically warmer year round than Sydney, even though Perth is only about 150km north of Sydney in latitude. Sydney's mins can be warmer in summer than Perth though. It's an east coast vs west coast thing. It determines the general humidity levels, with Sydney being on average a much more humid city. High humidity keeps the max temps down in summer and keeps the nights warm and this humidity contributes to Sydney's more consistent cloud cover in summer. Both cities are in the mid latitudes, so at the risk of oversimplifying it, it can be explained that both cities generally get easterly winds. For Sydney those easterlies come of the ocean and keep the humidity up. In Perth the winds come from the east and can stay NE for a long time coming off a very hot dry continent, so temperatures can be remain high for a very long time, but as they are dry can allow the night temps to drop away a lot from the max temps. In winter when Perth goes into a westerly pattern due to the passage of cold fronts, it becomes wet and humid due to the winds coming directly off the ocean. When these cold fronts come to the east coast they actually come off the land from the SW and over the Great Dividing Range. By then they have lost the bulk of their moisture but are still cold. This explains why Sydney has much drier winters than Perth, and Perth has quite wet winters for its latitude. Perth has generally the same winter mins as Sydney but has warmer max's than Sydney on average in winter. That's purely a latitude thing. Go 150km south on the west coast and you get the same winter max's as Sydney. Perth is in that transition zone between the dry subtropics and the warm temperate areas according to the Koeppen system. Sydney just falls a tad south of the Subtropic zone. That area on the east coast starts around Port Macquarie which is basically Perth's latitude.

Best regards

Tyrone

Rain here by Thursday and days in the mid twenties. Summer's switch will be flicked off on Thursday. Possibly some good rain next weekend and then rain for a good few days from April 22 according to Elders weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Breaking Weather News - Perth endures relentless dry heat

ALEX ZADNIK, 2 APRIL 2011

The past year and a half has been an especially hot and dry run for Perth. Even though the city is used to baking hot summers, the recent run has been one for the record books.

2010 was the second driest year on record for Perth, with only 503.8mm in the official gauge. This is well down on the 790mm average and only a little more than the record year of 2006, when 467mm was recorded.

This year has picked up where 2010 left off. While January rainfall did climb above average, February and March remained desperately dry. The only rainfall through these months was 0.4mm on the 1st February. Additionally, March was the hottest on record, with an average

maximum of 31.9 degrees, breaking the previous mark of 31.8 in 1978.

We are also in the midst of record-breaking run of days above 30 degrees. If the city hits a top of 31 today as expected, it will be the 13th consecutive day above 30, which will be a new autumn record.

In all likelihood, this record will stretch to at least 16 days, with a significant change not due until mid week. Temperatures are expected to soar into the mid 30’s on Tuesday, before a front brings cooler winds and a few showers on Wednesday night.

Oh no... still hot for you, Tyrone? Your bore has been going non stop, I bet?

It has been a good month. 404.5mm in March, which is the greatest month this season... very consistent rain with sun every now and then... perfect weather for weed growth :angry: . That tropical low is going elsewhere and not developing into a cyclone yet... I think this might be the end of our wet.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"