IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pseudophoenix sargentii

PalmatierMeg

My large about-to-trunk Pseudophoenix sargentii needs help and I need advice. I was cleaning up around the front garden tonight when I noticed this oozing lesion(s) on the crownshaft. The whole area looks nasty and raw. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I can do to heal/save this palm? It's been in the ground nearly 5 years and I'll be devastated if I lose it. I took these photos before dark.

Pseudophoenix crownshaft with lesions

post-1349-072177000 1297467427_thumb.jpg

Closeup of lesions

post-1349-034540300 1297467459_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, the same thing happened to mine last year. From what I have been able to learn over the past year, this is a very recent fungal problem affecting many Pseudophoenix palms here in south Florida (and now apparently southwest FL as well). I took samples from my palm to Dr. Aaron Palmateer, the plant pathologist at the Tropical Research & Education Center in Homestead, and he was not able to isolate any kind of fungal pathogen from them. However, I just spoke with him again this week and he suspects that it is Phytophthora doing it. He recommended using a product called Pageant, which is a broad spectrum fungicide that has shown good efficacy against other types of Phytophthora in scientific trials. Below are a few photos of my infected P. sargentii... sadly, it is so badly damaged that I no longer have any interest in trying to save it because the trunk is going to be permanently scarred.

Before I learned about Pageant (which was literally four days ago), I was treating my palm with Zerotol, which helped slow it down a little bit. My immediate recommendation for you (and I do mean immediate) would be to buy 2-3 bottles of hydrogen peroxide from the store tomorrow and pour them all over the crownshaft and bud region. Then try to find someone with a pesticide applicator license ASAP and have them apply Pageant. For long-term control, I would recommend rotating Pageant and Heritage throughout the spring and summer, and then hope for the best.

Please keep us updated on your progress. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone else who has this problem and what you have used to treat it and if the treatments were successful.

Jody

post-1566-034261000 1297475640_thumb.jpg

post-1566-064200400 1297475658_thumb.jpg

post-1566-019648000 1297475675_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info, Jody. What terrible news! Is this the "new" disease affecting Pseudophoenix that I've heard about? I sprayed the crownshaft and growing point area with H2O2. I know fungicides are often species-specific but is there any I can use till I call around Monday? I have daconil, Captan, mancozeb.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That sucks if it is a fungi.

I would cut all watering and pull back that mulch and let the root crown breath.

I have a bunch of buccaneers and I never water them. I don't think they need it. Wet and moist encourages fungi.

Cold and wet, even worse.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, Jody. What terrible news! Is this the "new" disease affecting Pseudophoenix that I've heard about? I sprayed the crownshaft and growing point area with H2O2. I know fungicides are often species-specific but is there any I can use till I call around Monday? I have daconil, Captan, mancozeb.

Meg, none of those are going to work on phytophthora. The H2O2 should slow it down. Try to find some Pageant or Heritage next week.

Jody

Mine looks the same way as do a couple other mature Pseudo's in the neighborhood(Satellite Beach)East Coast central FL. It's from the cold last year. Mine didn't bloom this year either.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Meg, also check out Subdue and Aliette, both are listed to control phytophthora...if in fact that is what is causing this.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....