IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyclone Yasi coming to Qld

Cycadcenter

Stay safe everyone...this looks like a monster of a storm...wind gusts currently 280 km/h and the bureau advised they could hit 320 km/h.

I know where I don't want to be tonight...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here's the latest advice. Please take care anyone within 700km of this thing.

TOP PRIORITYTROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 12Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, BrisbaneIssued at 7:54am EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011A Cyclone WARNING is current for island and coastal areas from Cape Melville toSarina, extending inland to Croydon and Richmond.A Cyclone WATCH is current for the remaining tropical interior east of Camoowealand north of Winton.At 7:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be555 kilometres east of Cairns and 560 kilometres northeast of Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES ANEXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA,ESPECIALLY BETWEEN CAIRNS AND TOWNSVILLE. THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURINGRECENT GENERATIONS.TC Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly directionduring the day. The cyclone is expected to cross the coast in the Innisfail areaat about midnight.Coastal residents within the warning area, and particularly between Cairns andAyr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE[i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses the coast and moves inland.The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLYabove the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS andFLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areaslikely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect theirproperty as much as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regardingevacuation of the area if advised to do so by authorities.DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr that are currently developing on coastalislands, are forecast to develop about the coast by late morning and about thetropical interior overnight. Between Cape Tribulation and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE withgusts in excess of 125km/hr during the afternoon and early evening and VERYDESTRUCTIVE with gusts up to 300 km/hr between Cairns and Ingham during theevening as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast. These VERY DESTRUCTIVEwinds can also occur on the seaward side of hills to the north of the cycloneand are also forecast to reach the Atherton Tablelands.Winds are forecast to ease about the east coast during Thursday morning as thecyclone moves inland.FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during the afternoon andthen extend inland overnight.People between Cape Melville and Sarina, extending inland to Croydon andRichmond should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in asafe place.- Boats and outside property should be secured.- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's DisasterManagement Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [sES] on132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees onbuildings or roof damage].People about the remaining tropical interior east of Camooweal and north ofWinton should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threatincreases.- Information is available from your local government- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's DisasterManagement Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [sES] on132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees onbuildings or roof damage].Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 7:00 am EST:.Centre located near...... 16.1 degrees South 150.9 degrees East.Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres.Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour.Severity category........ 5.Central pressure......... 922 hectoPascalsPlease ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message,particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.The next advice will be issued by 11:00 am EST Wednesday 02 February.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Oh, dearie me!

Doesn't look good.

Batten down the hatches, you-all.

CLICK HERE FOR MSNBC REPORT

CAIRNS, Australia — A powerful cyclone bearing down on Australia was upgraded to a maximum-strength Category 5 storm, with the likelihood of serious damage and risk to life.

"This is the most severe, most catastrophic storm that has ever hit our coast," Anna Bligh, premier of Queensland State, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. "We've seen a number of worst case scenarios come together."

"This impact is likely to be more life threatening than any experienced during recent generations," Queensland disaster officials added in an updated warning.

Yasi is expected to make landfall overnight on the Queensland coast between Cairns and Innisfail. "We are facing a storm of catastrophic proportions in a highly populated area," Bligh told reporters. "What it all adds up to is a very frightening time. We're looking at 24 hours of quite terrifying winds, torrential rain, likely loss of electricity and mobile phones."

CLICK ON THE LINK TO READ WHOLE STORY

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

yike!

Reminds me of a giant buzz saw . . . .

:unsure::blink::(:(:(

110201_yasi-satellite.grid-8x2.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Willis island radar is now down. The observations say it was in the eye with calm from 8.37am to 9am when the last report came through, about 35 minutes ago. Max wind gust was 185kph at 8.10am. Maybe the wind came back from the other direction when the eyewall went over it and snapped everything off.

Dave a buzz saw is an apt description. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

tried to get some plywood to seal off the back window , but all shops closed and no chance of getting any :unsure:

starting to get a bit windy

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

latest official report is very bad

Coastal residents within the warning area, and particularly between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses the coast and moves inland. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS and FLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way inland

Edited by trioderob

My thoughts are with all of you and I wish you a safe journey through this horrible weather headed your way. I heard yesterday here on the news that the Cairns area is will be hit particularly hard. I loved my time there and know that it lies near the base of the nearby mountains going to Kuranda. Sure that is true of much of that coast area. So sorry you guys are getting hit yet again. As I write this I'm watching a commerical for travel via Quantas to Australia. Hope the bad weather doesn't keep others from visiting other areas of the country, sure you guys can use the tourist dollars to help out with the flood damage.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Tully must be the Voldemort of towns ....

cyclone will cross between Innisfail & Cardwell

DUH whats there ???? TULLY ..

tried to get some plywood to seal off the back window , but all shops closed and no chance of getting any :unsure:

You just stay safe Michael, I've got Bags packed being ask to move if Poss

The S.E.S. (State Emg Centre)Will call when there going to pick me up,

Wheel Chair and Dog,(Spikey) Cool makes me happy plants should be ok

Michael it's cool you got the Z purpa

Female :) get out that Pollen Dude.

Cheers Mikey..

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Not good.

Its about to pass over the Willis Island Radar, directly over the weather station there.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR411.loop.shtml#skip

The radar station is apparently down. Not surprised based on how powerful I've heard it is. Hope all are safe and tucked in somewhere dry.

...I see that someone already posted about this. I'm a slow reader.... :D actually posted my response before reading the news.

Edited by WestCoastGal

Wishing everyone good luck. I do not know any of the down under folks on this forum personally and can’t imagine the anxiety that is being generated. I've been to Port Douglas, Cairns and Townsville, and loved them all. Next time I'm down that way I need to tour some of the botanical gardens and bush. I always mean to, but end up underwater all day and in the pub after that. Stay dry!

Carl

Vista, CA

Looks like someone is doing a live HQ webcast.

My link

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have you guys in my prayers. Living in Florida I know the sickening feeling when one of these things is bearing down on you. Are any of you planning on staying put and riding this one out?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

You just stay safe Michael, I've got Bags packed being ask to move if Poss

The S.E.S. (State Emg Centre)Will call when there going to pick me up,

Wheel Chair and Dog,(Spikey) Cool makes me happy plants should be ok

Michael it's cool you got the Z purpa

Female :) get out that Pollen Dude.

Cheers Mikey..

I'm glad your being looked after Mikey. Was just thinking of you as I was driving along the road today. Nothing but blue skies here. It feels wrong to have safe, benign weather while QLD gets hammered.

Michael, I know what you mean. Tully, the nations wettest town is going to get even wetter. It's like a cyclone magnet. I really fear also for the Mission Beach area, especially with the mega storm tide. This is a very tense situation especially for those in it's path, but even for us onlookers. The whole state of QLD will have post traumatic stress disorder after this enormous La Nina event this summer. Where will it end??????

Michael did you end up finding some plywood? What about perspex, do you have any of that or is that no good in a cyclone? I wouldn't know being a southerner.

Best regards

Tyrone

That cyclone is HUGE...... Queensland really deserves a break from these terrible weather events. :(

Best wishes through this.

-Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

The Australian ABC News website is quite interesting to keep tabs on. Here's a link to it. On the top right of the webpage they have a very useful map that tracks the path of the cyclone (Click on to scale larger) and there's LIVE COVERAGE via streaming of ABC Local Radio. Right now they are advising people in certain areas that the shelters in the areas are full and the winds are picking up and people should hunker down now. Also to watch for the backside of the storm coming through that can catch some people off guard and kill them when the next wave comes through.

Edited by WestCoastGal

Looks like someone is doing a live HQ webcast.

My link

Bookmarked that thing.

Be careful, you guys and gals.

Hope the wind won't blow the salties inland . . . . :hmm::blink::unsure:

Will scrunched up newspaper help keep a Cat. 5 out ?

post-354-040306700 1296621982_thumb.jpg

Lots of precious things inside .

post-354-048327300 1296622021_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Probably not, Michael... but just do your best... I will be thinking of you and your young garden - call you tomorrow if the phone still works...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just to give people an idea of the size of this monster:

http://www.heraldsun...l-1225998850720

:blink:

Regards

Michael

sad.gif

I just heard on the news just then that this will be the biggest recorded cyclone ever to hit Australia. Oh man......this is really bad this one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just saw this Reuters news story of lots of evacuees in Cairns being turned away from filled up shelters with no where to go. This is really hard to hear about.

cyclone pruned my Arenga undulatifolia and caryota no , so sad seeing those large fronds hit the deck , but should save them .. can get a generator tomorrow to get my palmtalk fix , as no way will power stay on... :unsure:

Here's a short report on the Willis Radar station that was hit first.

Aussiearoids, I just checked the ABC News Au site tracking map and it looks like the eye is going to pass south of Cairns and straight at Wongaling Beach and Tully. Are you in a safe shelter right now?

Edited by WestCoastGal

Got my bunker set up in the bathroom and I hope to be safe .

Really pissed at the 7 News always saying , between Innisfail and Cardwell and not even mentioning Tully , the ONLY real town between those 2 :rage: Probably no reporters game to come here as it would be to dangerous :hmm:

Aussiearoids, don't know how much longer you will be able to post here tonight (my time) but in any event please don't take any chances. Hope you have managed to drag a mattress in there and have a supply of water, etc. I hope you don't have to ride this out alone. I hope the islands to the east of you might give you some protection like the barrier islands of the Gulf Coast did for those who went through Katrina here in the states. If it helps, know that a lot of us here will be pulling for you and have you in our thoughts through this long night.

Same goes for you Mr Cycad. I'm guessing you are a bit north of Assiearoids but clearly still in a bad place. I see that Lowey and Fan Palm are likewise in the path. Best to all of you. Sorry if I missed mentioning anyone else.

Edited by WestCoastGal

nice and comfy post-354-047670800 1296632646_thumb.jpg

Michael,

I hope you manage well. It looks like a real serious deal.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Looks comfy but don't you want the mattress to put on top of you to protect you from any falling glass or debris? I suspect you won't get any sleep tonight anyway from accounts I remember from Katrina (wind noise). If you have a bathtub I'd consider bunking in there (keeping water stored nearby you in the tub) and pull the mattress on top of you. I haven't ever been in horrible weather like this but that's what I remember people being told to do in tornadoes here in the states.

Don't worry... Michael would know what to do. He had to bunker down for Larry last time.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'm listening to the Australian ABC Live radio stream and they are saying that the eye of the cyclone is about 30 km across so may take an hour or so to pass over so whatever you do don't think it's safe to leave when it comes. Sit tight throughout the night.

Ariscott, glad to hear that. Although I can't imagine being through one of these let alone two.

Edited by WestCoastGal

ABC radio just had phone interviews from Tully, Innisfail and Cairns. Heavy rainfall in Tully right now and winds picking up elsewhere. I didn't know that Tully had some of the heaviest rainfall a year. Also didn't know it was a banana area in addition to Innisfail. Funny how you get geography lessons and such during these disasters.

Never done much radio streaming while on my computer but it's been a convenient way to listen and the experiences of the various radio callers has been interesting as well.

Think it's predicted to hit land around 1am. (Not sure if that's 1am NZ time or Aus EST time).

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Holding my breath for you guys. Michael keep posting in while you can. I imagine it won't be for much longer though.

Here's the radar image.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR192.loop.shtml#skip

Best regards

Tyrone

still online for now, getting some big gusts coming through, wouldnt call thm very destructive though. we still have the front doors open. not long to go now...

Hold on Michael.... Take care of yourself.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Harry & Bruce.... from the look it, the eye will get pretty close to Innisfail... I hope you have somewhere safe to go.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

thanks ari, we are staying a steal framed/block house so will be fine.dont know about my poor little house though.

gusts starting to get alot stronger around the70km/h mark.