IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyclone Yasi coming to Qld

Cycadcenter

Climbed up into the roof just to reassure myself I will be safe in the bathroom , and was very pleased with what I saw . Corefilled walls and massive bolts holding the roof down .

post-354-074061400 1296640810_thumb.jpg

post-354-001659500 1296640843_thumb.jpg

post-354-072393800 1296640892_thumb.jpg

post-354-047366800 1296640944_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Nothing much you can do now except keep your head down and wait. For Larry a friend used packaging tape on his windows (including louvres) but I think duct tape would have been better. In any case it worked for him. Although, wind direction and flying debris count for a lot.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully you'll all be back on air soon after.

Climbed up into the roof just to reassure myself I will be safe in the bathroom , and was very pleased with what I saw . Corefilled walls and massive bolts holding the roof down .

Looks good Michael.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It is heading for you, Michael, unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck... hopefully it goes quickly with minimal damage. I don't know how the media can say that it was better that it was slowing down... You want it quick and over with... Well, at least you won't get storm surge...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

calyptrocalyx&licuala freck Mikey was evacuated from Trinity Beach, Cairns This morning. High tide will be 4m, the storm surge will be 6.6m, the highest ever recorded!

Aussiearoids lives in Tulley, Spoke to him at lunch time, he had most pots of plants indoors now. On the Queensland emergency radio channel , it is 170klm (85knts) winds there at the moment.

18m seas off Townsville. Wind strengths expected to achieve 280klm (140 knts) in a few hours, Storm surge will be tide be 6.6m, above the 4m high!

This cyclone is so big in size, it would cover the entire continental USA, 32000 homes without power.

hope our 2 members are OK

regards

colin

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

Link to this story on size

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Here's one to scale...this is Yasi compared to continental US...

post-42-009673500 1296648158_thumb.jpg

The storm's scale of destruction is as shocking as it is inevitable. In the map above, the United States from Pennsylvania in the east to Nevada in the west, from Georgia in the south to Canada in the north and well into Mexico would be battered with 300km/h winds and up to one metre of rain.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870#ixzz1CnvjuYPF

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks Colin for update. I hope this will go fast. Where is Mikey now?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mickey was taken to an evacuation center, he was in good spirits, as he says, been through cyclone's before. However he has never been through a Cat 5 before

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

update- 89000 homes without power the worst arrives in 1 hour 20 minutes

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Power is off in Townsville... Scott's sister in Townsville & I just hope she is not in tidal area...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My prayers for everyone affected. Living in South Florida for over 30 years has given me great respect for these storms. Be safe!

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

All of you folks in Queensland be safe. Nothing matters but your life.

As Randy said,living in Florida all of my life, I appreciate what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Eye crossed at the Bingle Bay, Mission Beach area in the last 20 minutes. Michael in Tully will be experiencing 290kph winds at the moment with the eye heading his way. I hope he's alright in his bathroom. He's got a few hours to go before he's out of it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just woke up and can't believe you guys are still just facing the worst of it. ABC radio said that winds in Tully would be about 285 kph now and the eye of the storm extending from Innisfail to Cardwell. They said it was moving slower and expected to take 4 hours to pass until the worst is over...still another 2-1/2 hours to go. So scary. People are calling in still if they are able and reporting what they are hearing in their area. The guy on line right now is near Mission Beach and talking about how the palms have snapped and destruction all around. He said they peaked out during the eye of the storm and saw the night stars said the back winds started very shortly after. He also commented on his son and his family in Tully who he had heard from. The winds were lifting the roof off. Said son and his wife were sitting in their car at a nearby house with another couple who were in their car!!! (OMG how scary). The news reporter said that the eye of the storm should be passing over Tully now and the pattern of it seems to be breaking up and changing shape. Hope all of our PT guys are hanging in there and safe.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

First reports from Tully............

The north Queensland town of Tully is a scene of mass devastation with roofs torn from houses and power poles knocked over by the powerful category 5 Cyclone Yasi.

Yasi crossed the North Queensland coast near Mission Beach, north of Tully, at midnight (AEST), bringing with it dangerous storms and battering waves to the south of the massive storm's centre.

Cassowary Coast councillor Ross Sorbello said the roof had been torn from his mother's house in Tully, where he was waiting out the storm, and local properties had suffered similar damage.

"We are talking about a pretty strong brick house that was built in the 70s, so god help us in the morning when we look at some of the older places," he said.

Mr Sorbello ventured outside briefly during the eye of the storm to assess the damage and said the streets were strewn with debris while power poles had been knocked over.

"It is just a scene of mass devastation," he said.

"(Cyclone) Larry was a boy compared to this."

At midnight (AEST) Yasi was estimated to be 120 kilometres south southeast of Cairns and 50 kilometres southeast of Innisfail and moving west southwest at 27 kilometres per hour.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I've been watching the channel 24 ABC link all morning. It brings back memories of Andrew 92. Watching the clips it seems that most people use ply wood and not metal shutters to cover openings. I was even more amazed to see a reporter that is staying in a hotel made with curtain wall construction to report on what its like going through a CAT 5. She even managed to put a few strips of 3/4" masking tape on the windows as if that somehow will offer some sort of magical protection. I hope she has somewhere safe to go when the curtain walls start coming off.

I really feel for you guys going through this monster.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I'm kind of disappointed that our local news here in the US (west coast) doesn't have much news on the Cyclone. Primarily we're getting news on Egypt and the big snow storm here in the midwest/eastern US. Tried a few channels but not much news from down under. Thankfully the ABC live radio (link mentioned by me above in the thread) has been solid, excellent sound quality and reception and it's been really good to hear people calling in from the affected area and know that people are making it through it.

They are now reporting that Yasi has been downgraded to Cat 4, still very dangerous, but at least for those inland of Tully it's weakening. They just had a caller on who is a councilman (Ross ....) from Tully who said that he's had to sit it out in his car. (Have to wonder if it was inside a garage). He said the car was moving about and felt like they were traveling at 60mph while he knew it was stationary. Said when the eye came over he got out and took a peek outside and his roof was off, as well as those of his neighbors. Said he was at the north end of town (believe he mentioned Dowser). Said the town was severely damaged during this based on what he's seen around him. A woman caller earlier in the broadcast said that she heard her new roof tiles being pried off--said it sounded like a deck of cards being ripped off. Said she still had a ceiling above her but was certain the roof was probably all gone. Hope the number of injured is low.

I keep thinking about Michael with his open window in the back of his place. Hope to hear from him soon.

Edited by WestCoastGal

There seems scarcely any coverage in Florida. The enormous size of Yasi means it can't be compared to our last severe hurricanes, Andrew south of Miami in 1992 or Charley at Punta Gorda in 2004. Both of those had very small diameters, so catastrophic damage was limited in scale. Charley was unusual in that hurricane winds persisted far inland, causing severe damage in Arcadia and Wauchula, and even Orlando and Daytona Beach.

Andrew (cat. 5) was notorious for moving cars around.

Best wishes for everyone in Queensland.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Andrew was much smaller and moving faster. I'm not religous but I will be praying for our friends (both human and animals) in NorthbQueensland. Please when it is over and you have the capabilities let us know you are okay. If someone can find out how Teresa is doing as well. I'm concerned I think she is by herself. Hang in Ellis

Gary from Tully is calling in now and he said they were forced to seek shelter inside of car also. Said lots of roofs off when he peeked out during the eye. The car is underneath the house and he said they are still rocking around inside of it. Gusts are still strong. Another caller Barb has family in Tully and said she heard from them a while ago and everyone was still safe although the roofs probably weren't there. I took a look at Tully from above on Google maps and it seems like a very nice small town with golf course and airstrip.

Callers to the station sound tired but calm and amazingly upbeat. Encouraging from the human standpoint.

Just heard the report that they've downgraded Yasi to a Cat 3.

Edited by WestCoastGal

I am also disappointed there is not more coverage on Yasi here in the States. I have many people I consider good friends in the area I have not heard from, and told them to get in touch with me when it was over if they could. My worst hurricane was Charley, the eye was 40km away but we had minimal damage. In areas of Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, I can still show you places they have not cleaned up over 6 years later.

I will be thinking of everyone in Qld over the next several hours.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

5.16 am Aussiearoids text, It.s all good, roof still on

Good to know Michael is ok in his home in Tully

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks for the update on Michael, Colin. Glad to hear his place is still intact and he's doing well. Everything else can be repaired and replanted. Hope he can get some sleep finally.

Anyone else heard from our other Aussies in the area?

I'm sure the pictures from the area once it gets light will be something to see. Always fun to come up with a new landscaping plan.

Edited by WestCoastGal

Early reports suggest the communities of Mission Beach and Tully are the worst hit. There goes the Licuala ramsayi forest again :angry: . Good to hear Michael is okay, must have been the newspaper hey Michael ? What about Nick's place Sth Mission Beach ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yowza, that was nasty.

Everyone let us know how you are.

If you can.

There's been a shockingly low level of reportage here in the U.S., though I must admit that winter storm is a pretty major distraction in its way. (I'm from the midwestern U.S. and I don't miss those nasty winter "snowclones" one bit.

Though, I'm not sure I'd trade one for a ride with Yasi, either . . . . . :blink::unsure:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

To give you an idea of TV coverage here in the U.S., I've had the 30-minute Noon news on my local CBS news station, 15 minutes so far an NO news on Yasi. Like it doesn't even exist. Started off with the midwest storm, a school shooting, then Egypt, PG&E news that they have found more than 2 dozen leaks in it's pipeline (huge natural gas explosion here on the SF peninsula a few months ago that wiped out a neighborhood and killed a number of people), a ship that will be dismantled in California, the stock market, a luxury hotel that filed for bankruptcy, a consumer watch story on a couple ripped off of a vacation, a story of a Minn. lady who got caught shipping a live dog in a Priority Mail box (she wanted money back on postage when caught), ground hog day, more local weather, health watch news on freezing off fat (now 22 minutes into news).

What is even more amazing is that I've been listening to excellent coverage on CBS in Australia. Given the close relationship the US has with Australia I find this appalling. Oh and now the fresh grocer feature is on. They are ending the news with absolutely NO NEWS on the Yasi. Thank god for the internet. And broadcast TV is wondering why more and more people are turning to the web for their news stories instead of tuning in!!

Talked to Michael this morning... He is fine, his house is still standing... but the garden is trashed, which is to be expected after such a cyclone. He will update his status once he gets his generator going & after a huge clean up that he has to do.

Not sure about Bruce & Harry though...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

In Florida, Georgia Tasker, who writes on gardening for the Miami Herald and Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden has written eloquently on gardening in the path of hurricanes in her book "Enchanted Ground: gardening with nature in the subtropics" (published by Fairchild). In Miami, you should expect your garden to periodically be torn to pieces. As a corollary, the natural low tree canopy of Miami is idea for reducing wind impact on buildings.

The not-so-bad hurricanes of 2004 mainly provided an exuse to get rid of not-good plantings and replace them with better. I have seen natural vegetation (hammocks in local terminology) smashed to bits by the 1992 Miami-area hurricane. I think those parks have pretty much recovered since then, with attention to keep exotic pest plants at bay.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I'm really glad to hear that Michael in Tully is still with us, and his house is still standing. His garden will be severely damaged though. :(

I wonder how the others in the area are going.

The Licuala state forest will be mainly mulch after what it saw. I have pics in 2005 before Larry and then pics in 07 after Larry, and the difference is startling and very sad. However all the undercanopy was in flower and fruit from the increased light in 07. There were huge butrress trunked trees on their sides from the mini-tornadoes that cut through the forest as the worst of the storm hit. Some areas were totally flattened whereas other areas not far away had some trees standing. Larry was a cat 4 though, and this is a cat 5 with a huge eye and basically 9 hrs in the danger zone. I really fear to see the state of it now having endured two enormous direct impacts so close together. Although I want to see pictures, I almost don't want to see them. I like to remember the way things were. Mission Beach and Tully will likely look like a war zone. :(

Glad you're with us Michael. We we're really worried about you on your own riding the storm out. I hope we hear word from the others soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Here's a vid of the storm approaching townsville.

As of this posting the power there was off, so this is an "old" vid.

Trying my hand at streaming . . .

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="296" id="utv870240" name="utv_n_361110"><param name="flashvars" value="loc=%2F&amp;autoplay=false&amp;vid=12406097&amp;locale=en_US&amp;hasticket=false&amp;id=12406097&amp;v3=1" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" /><embed flashvars="loc=%2F&amp;autoplay=false&amp;vid=12406097&amp;locale=en_US&amp;hasticket=false&amp;id=12406097&amp;v3=1" width="480" height="296" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv870240" name="utv_n_361110" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mikey is fine too, ended up staying at his place. All is good so far, still not allowed out when I spoke to him.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="296" id="utv870240" name="utv_n_361110"><param name="flashvars" value="loc=%2F&amp;autoplay=false&amp;vid=12406097&amp;locale=en_US&amp;hasticket=false&amp;id=12406097&amp;v3=1" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" /><embed flashvars="loc=%2F&amp;autoplay=false&amp;vid=12406097&amp;locale=en_US&amp;hasticket=false&amp;id=12406097&amp;v3=1" width="480" height="296" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv870240" name="utv_n_361110" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

all good here. lost a 4 bay shed. lots of debris and trees, garden trashed. glad i had mainly smaller palms in the ground, but everyone is fine, thats the main thing. will post pics when i get some time over the next week or so. on generator power atm so dont want to use laptop too much. hope everyone else came through it ok.

cheers

Harry

all good here. lost a 4 bay shed. lots of debris and trees, garden trashed. glad i had mainly smaller palms in the ground, but everyone is fine, thats the main thing. will post pics when i get some time over the next week or so. on generator power atm so dont want to use laptop too much. hope everyone else came through it ok.

cheers

Harry

That is good news that you and yours are fine. Things can be rebuilt and gardens replanted.

All the best!

Carl

Vista, CA

Glad to hear you're okay there Harry and will look forward to your future posts and pics when you have the power and time to do so. It's a relief to have people checking in.

cheers

Harry

Very good news that you're alive and well.

Best regards

Tyrone

Judging by the photos I saw on TV of Mission Beach it probably won't take long to be beautiful again. The tall coconuts along the beach were still standing from the limited view I saw (but rather shredded); it's amazing how they can survive the strongest possible winds. I don't know about the licualas, but they are supposed to be flexible in the trunk as well.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast