IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Weather Threat - February 2011

jasons

I know, they are happy but I'm not too thrilled. I'm OK with the snow - just not the bitter cold. I'm about to trek out and wrap everything-up for the big chill. The freeze line is almost here, but this is the soonest I could get to it. I just hope the queen palms and citrus survive this one. If we lose those, we'll really look more zone 8-ish and I won't be happy.

I guess all the storm2k folks got what they wanted. Us plant folks are screwed though.

I grew up here in Houston and remember getting out of school once in the 90s just *see* a few snow flurries. of course, as soon as I take an interest in palms/tropicals it starts snowing here every year. If it snows this week, which looks inevitable at this point, it will be the 4th consecutive year with snow accumulation at my house. Unbelievable.

Geez, at this point I just hope the Butias, Sabals, Trachys, and Chamaerops will be okay. The younger Washys will be defoliated yet again, but they always come roaring back. My P. sylvestris was about 30-50% burned last year, but they put on fronds so fast you couldn't tell anything had happened by June. I guess this is just the new norm. Ugh.

I've got Butias, Sabals, Trachys, and Chamaerops and they don't even bat an eye at the temperatures I'm going to get (10F), so you should be fine. Even my Phoenix came roaring back after last winter. The only thing I'm protecting tonight are some Allagopteras and very small Trachycarpus "Naga Hills" which will survive the cold but I'm tired of their spears pulling and then taking several months to recover every year. Christmas lights and frost cloths for them the next couple of days.

We hit 80F yesterday afternoon, then got heavy rain in the evening that switched over to sleet around midnight, then I woke up to several inches of snow and 20F for a low. Snowing again now. They are still saying 10F for tomorrow morning and 12 F the morning after. Won't get above freezing until Friday. That will be about 84 hours below freezing. What a bunch of BS.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

I hope this event does not last too long in Texas but it is considered a historic storm over much of the Midwest. Hard to believe that freezing temps will move well south of Brownsville into Mexico. Even hundreds of miles west in Arizona, Nevada and parts of eastern California the overnight temps could drop into the 20's in the low elevations [i.e. Phoenix, Palm Springs, Las Vegas] for a few nights.

Wish you all the best. :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The front passing through this morning was downright amazing. I left my driveway at 6:30am and it was 69 degrees. By the time I got to the freeway, somewhere between 5 and 8 minutes, it was 43! The temp graphs on wunderground look like a cliff.

I have a Meyer lemon that made it through last year with about 60-70% damage, but regrew quickly. It actually has (soon to be had) blooms on it right now. I have a Republic of Texas orange that was totally unfazed whatsoever last year. There's hope for some of the hardier citrus.

The queens around town surprised me last year. If they had any trunk to them they came back just fine, for the most part. There are some large ones near my house that barely had any damage. Unfortunately, all of mine were small (3-7g) and perished. This will be a tough stretch for them, no doubt. 3 days where it will struggle to reach 35, if at all, is just ridiculous. I hope they can surprise me again this year.

Good luck man! I feel for you being out there in 35 degree weather with 45mph wind trying to deal with blankets and tarps. Been there, done that. It's been hard to resisit the urge, but I swore to myself that I'd give up covering plants. Stay safe and as warm as possible out there!

Warm ground I mentioned earlier now winning the battle with the snow and ice. Even though the temperature outside is only 23F the ground heat is causing several inches of snow and ice to melt. Hope it can do the same with the air temperature tonight given the thick blanket of clouds that will be over us.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Don't look but some models are showing an even bigger high pressure for next week, and this time encompassing the entire south from Texas to Florida...stay tuned.

Now THIS is just amazing indeed!!!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX

334 PM CST TUE FEB 1 2011

.DISCUSSION...

LOOKING AT THE FORECAST TEMPERATURES AND GOING THROUGH THE CLIMO

DATA IT IS APPARENT THAT THIS COLD SNAP WILL BE THE COLDEST SINCE

THE INFAMOUS DEC 1989 EVENT. FOR SOME DFW RECORD INFO SEE PNSFWD.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

.DISCUSSION...

They just revised the forecast low here down to 8F on Thursday morning. I don't think we have been down to single digits here since 1989. They now have us at 10F tomorrow morning, 8F Thursday and 12F Friday.

Lows:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is a truly impressive image! It reminds me of some of the satellite photos of hurricane Ike when it pretty much covered the entire Gulf of Mexico.

post-4194-019680400 1296607907_thumb.jpgThis has been mind-blowing. We had 14" inches of snow today. For folks up north, that is no big deal but down here it is. We set the all-time February snowfall total by noon on Feb. 1 !

This is the biggest single snow-fall ever, and we may set record low highs and record low lows for the month this week.

This photo shows my palms as the sun came out this evening in time to set:

Edited by Erik

Terdal Farm, Tulsa OK, USA http://www.terdalfarm.com/

Here in SE Houston, the temperature hit 32 at 8pm. Low is forecast to be in the low 20's and staying cold for days with perhaps snow/sleet by Friday. The new ice age has begun. The queen palms and pygmy dates that are common in this area will suffer.

Ed in SE Houston

It's 9PM and 27F outside. I have everything wrapped but I think I'm going to lose my 4 Majesties and 2 Pygmy Dates...this is going to be pretty devastating when it's over. Since I'm going to lose my plants, I say bring on the snow on Thur-Fri!!

Jason,

Did you put Xmas lights under the wrapping? If so, I wouldn't count your majesties out just yet. I kept my foxtails alive through last years mess with Xmas lights, blankets, and tarps. If I remember correctly I don't think it dropped below the mid 50s inside the covering, despite being 19.8 outside.

May the above mentioned foxtails RIP. They're outside naked in this weather. At least it'll be over quickly I suppose.

Texas is the most amazing state for weather changes. It can be 80F at 12 noon and then 40 by 2PM. Actually happened a couple of times when I lived in Austin. I have never experienced that rapid a change anywhere else. Those blue northers are killers.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

.DISCUSSION...

They just revised the forecast low here down to 8F on Thursday morning. I don't think we have been down to single digits here since 1989. They now have us at 10F tomorrow morning, 8F Thursday and 12F Friday.

I just cannot believe those temps, single digits?! Its hard to imagine back to back winters like these past two. I have a feeling this week won't be the last of this winter either, unfortunately. Good luck up there Martin, and keep us posted on how everything does.

Texas is the most amazing state for weather changes. It can be 80F at 12 noon and then 40 by 2PM. Actually happened a couple of times when I lived in Austin. I have never experienced that rapid a change anywhere else. Those blue northers are killers.

Oh, you ain't kidding.

In January, 1979, I went swimming in the Gulf in Corpus. It was about 79-80 degrees.

After a few minutes, the wind picked up (from the north) and people began to bundle up and leave the beach. (South Padre Island)

When I got out of the water, it was about 55, and I'm not kidding. Teeth-chattering . . .

After half an hour!

Scary!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh, you ain't kidding.

In January, 1979, I went swimming in the Gulf in Corpus. It was about 79-80 degrees.

After a few minutes, the wind picked up (from the north) and people began to bundle up and leave the beach. (South Padre Island)

When I got out of the water, it was about 55, and I'm not kidding. Teeth-chattering . . .

After half an hour!

Scary!

Unfortunately I can top that. Before I moved out here to the ranch I used to drive over every afternoon to check on the goats and guard dogs. Left the house one beautiful winter afternoon with the temperature at 75F wearing shorts and a T-shirt. By the time I got to the ranch and completed what I needed to do (less than an hour) a blue norther had blown through, and the announcer on the radio said the temperature was 27F! I was really glad the heater in my truck worked on that trip home. I could see it coming too when I got to the ranch and opened the front gate, a huge scary looking blue-gray cloud mass moving down fast from the north.

Decided to add my last Brahea decumbens to the protection list. I wrapped the trunk with Christmas lights, cut off the largest fronds, and covered it with an insulated cooler. It survived last year unprotected, but this looks to be a lot worse and I don't know where I would find another as large.

A little after midnight here and the airport is at 16F, one of my thermometers says 16.6F and the other says 14F. Not sure why the last one always seems to be off by a couple of degrees. It used to read the same as the other one?

Lows:

Yesterday a friend of mine who frequently comes to Manaus and lives in Dallas called me on skype. He was on line with his 3G cell service and put on the video of him driving back from Houston about and hour away from Dallas through the snow storm. It was sort of a surreal feeling being as I was sitting in my office with a major afternoon rain storm in progress. I was raised driving through snow, ice, and slush and it is no fun. In Montana you get these ground blizzards that blow the snow across the roadways which are frequently covered with black ice. I can remember well travelling in sub zero temperatures on bright sunny days where you could not see the road. There are no palm trees to protect there at least.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hard freeze in SE Houston this morning with 23 degrees. Looks like all of Texas got a freeze except in the most southern RGV and southern barrier islands, where it was in the 30s. Galveston Is;and had mid 20s. This is the second coldest here since 1989. Last year I had a 22. Seems to be getting colder after a 20 year warm spell.

Ed in SE Houston

22.6 and holding in Pearland. 10-15mph wind is causing a wind chill of 10-12. The forecasts are calling for 2-4" of snow accumulation overnight Thursday into Friday morning. Just unbelievable.

I agree with you Ed, the trend certainly appears to be heading colder. Sadly, I think the days of seeing queens and pygmy dates everywhere in Houston are probably over, at least until the next warm period anyway.

Centerpoint energy is now apparently following a statewide order to institute rolling power blackouts to relieve stress on the electical grid throughout the state of Texas. The office building where I work lost power several minutes ago. Fortunately, they have a generator. Unfortunately, my little greenhouse at home relies on a 1500 watt electric space heater to stay warm. I'm not certain if my house is affected by the rolling blackouts, but it's still only 24.5 outside under cloudy skies (no solar heating) so a power outage would definitely cause some damage and loss to the plants in the greenhouse. I just can't believe this.

They missed by 3 degrees, we only got to 13F, which I figured would be the case when we were 3 degrees warmer at midnight than they predicted. I'd have been happier if they would have been off by the 5 degrees they've missed by every other cold event so far this winter. Two more nights of this garbage.

The county has asked residents to conserve energy because high demand is causing outages. Great! I just got my heat back on after the condensate line froze up over night causing the furnace to shut down. Had to go up in the attic with a blow dryer and melt the ice in the line. Plugged the heat cable that runs along it in so it won't refreeze, but that will only work if the power stays on.

I've been noticing this winter as I watch the weather on the local news that a large number of our record lows are from a period in the late 40's. You have a few record lows from other years, but there were back to back cold years in 1947 and 1948 that were unbelievably cold. Almost all single digit low records spread out throughout those winters. There were also some record lows from other years between 1945 and 1950. Then you have a smaller number from about 20 years later, and finally the ones from roughly 20 years after that in 1983 and 1989. Now here we are another 20 years later...

Lows:

I had a low of 19.7, just a notch above last year. The clouds moved-in overnight and prevented it from dropping to the mid-teens. But this even is with wind.

I did not use Christmas lights; I didn't have the time or manpower to get that creative. Just a few layers and I had my propane radiant heaters going...but in the wind I don't think they did anything. I'm afraid this cold snap is just too brutal to fight off.

These things are definitely cyclical. A lot of the cold records here occured in the 40s-50s, then again in the 70s-80s, and well, here we are due for another round of record cold. One thing is for certain, there is no shortage of carpetbaggers looking to capitalize on peoples naivety about historical weather patterns. In the 70s it was the inevitable ice age. Recently it is the oceans rising hundreds of feet from the inevitable coming hot period. It's literally one of the oldest tricks in the book, in fact predating the book itself. The ancient rulers knew when eclipses were going to occur while the common people did not, so the rulers used that to their advantage. Ok, off of soapbox.

Man I really feel for your poor guys, Theres a really good reason why you don't see any big palms in my garden. I went through the same thing last winter way up here, and it kill all 8 of my butia (4 species) and all 6 of my jubaea, B.armata, parajubaea. Two bad winters in arrow, the first winter was snowy low was 19F, with 5 days below freezing and 7 more days with freezing nights in the 20s, most of my butia spears pulled, the second year got down to 28F/12f for three days cold and sunny the whole time, very rare here, and thats what killed them all off. The only palms that survived were the ones that had candles in small shelters or christmas lights. It was the worst in over a decade. The last three winter we have had all our cold weather either in Nov./ Dec. and Jan./ Feb. very mild, I hope you guys do better!

On the plus side here, I noticed yesterday the impatiens are coming up early.

Edited by Palm crazy

Man I really feel for your poor guys, Theres a really good reason why you don't see any big palms in my garden. I went through the same thing last winter way up here, and it kill all 8 of my butia (4 species) and all 6 of my jubaea, B.armata, parajubaea. Two bad winters in arrow, the first winter was snowy low was 19F, with 5 days below freezing and 7 more days with freezing nights in the 20s, most of my butia spears pulled, the second year got down to 28F/12f for three days cold and sunny the whole time, very rare here, and thats what killed them all off. The only palms that survived were the ones that had candles in small shelters or christmas lights. It was the worst in over a decade. The last three winter we have had all our cold weather either in Nov./ Dec. and Jan./ Feb. very mild, I hope you guys do better!

No offense, but that is some really mild winter weather to have killed Butias and Jubaeas. My Butias and Jubaeas see stretches every winter where our lows get to the low 20's or high teens every night for weeks, and it doesn't really seem to bother them at all. Of course, our highs during those periods will usually be 50F or above. Were yours really small? Mine are trunking and weren't damaged at all by the extended cold we had last winter that was nearly as bad as what we are having now.

Lows:

No offense, but that is some really mild winter weather to have killed Butias and Jubaeas. My Butias and Jubaeas see stretches every winter where our lows get to the low 20's or high teens every night for weeks, and it doesn't really seem to bother them at all. Of course, our highs during those periods will usually be 50F or above. Were yours really small? Mine are trunking and weren't damaged at all by the extended cold we had last winter that was nearly as bad as what we are having now.

Edited by Palm crazy

The moisture was going to be my guess. I'm kind of worried that the damage will be worse this year since we got about a 1/2" of rain right before the front blew through this time followed by sleet and snow. I'm still surprised that a Jubaea that size didn't survive. You say the lower leaves are still green, but no center growth. Did the spear pull or is it still there, but not growing? Did you treat it with any fungicide? I imagine your cooler summers don't help much either. With the heat we get here anything that isn't killed is usually completely recovered by June.

The Butia archeri you sent survived last winter's brutality and is about twice as big this year. The spear pulled, but it grew right back. I suspect the spear will pull again. It still isn't big enough to make it through this kind of cold without the spear pulling. Maybe in another year or two.

Lows:

The center pull and never grew back, has a big gap'n whole in the center. Butia don't like winter rain if it freezes so they really are not the best palm for the PNW, that's why this time I went ahead and used hybrids (BxJ and JxB). I really like how the leaves are turning out on them, big & wide and tropical looking.

If you stay above the single digits you should have lots of regrow come spring. :)

Glad the archeri is doing good their pretty hardy for their size.

Edited by Palm crazy

The center pull and never grew back, has a big gap'n whole in the center. Butia don't like winter rain if it freezes so they really are not the best palm for the PNW, that's why this time I went ahead and used hybrids (BxJ and JxB). I really like how the leaves are turning out on them, big & wide and tropical looking.

If you stay above the single digits you should have lots of regrow come spring. :)

Glad the archeri is doing good their pretty hardy for their size.

The lowest they are forecasting is 10F tonight, and so far we have stayed 3-5 degrees warmer than they forecast, so keeping fingers crossed. Sunday back in to the high 60's! The last forecast (which came out 2 hours ago) said the high today would be 15F (it was already 16F at the time???), and now it is 20F with another 3-4 hours of heating to go. Temperatures have been rising at a rate of about 2 degrees per hour since 9:00, so I'm forecasting 26F for a high today. We could easily drop from there to 10F, but since they only forecast a 5 degree drop tonight maybe we only get down to 21F? With the heavy cloud cover that looks like it will stay with us over night I find it hard to believe we will get colder tomorrow morning than we did this morning when it appears we will go into the evening at least 4 degrees warmer than yesterday. I'm coming up with 17F-21F as a range for the lows tonight unless there is another shot of cold air on the way that I don't know about.

Lows:

Now they are saying 7F for a low in the morning. The dew point is 8F, so either they are wrong or we have another shot of colder, drier air coming this way. Now they have also lowered the forecast temperatures for the next week by about 10 degrees across the board. Must be nice to have a job where you can throw darts at a board to make your predictions, be wrong most of the time, and keep your job.

Lows:

Looking at a national temperature map, and most of NW Canada is warmer than my yard where it is now a balmy 18F. :angry:

Lows:

Im sorry to hear y'all have been having such nasty weather :(

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Oh, you ain't kidding.

After half an hour!

Scary!

According to the NWS- Houston.....yesterday morning it was 70F at 653AM in Houston. One hour later it was 45F. 25F gone in one hour. Spectacular.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Just got back from checking on the goats and guard dogs. Their 50 gallon water troughs only have about 1.5 inches of ice on them. I've seen worse. I don't think the faucets on my heated building down there have ever frozen before though. They are now. I cut off the water to it in case the pipes ruptured.

Sun is now setting and I can see a crescent shaped break in the clouds to the SW. The satellite animation shows it moving NE, or right over my area. Just great. :rage:

Lows:

Martin, I hope you continue to stay 3-5 (or more) degrees above the forecast. We've got 23-25 tonight, but I think the real damaging days here will be Thursday night and Friday. Highs 34-36 with ice pellets (really?) and 1-3" of snow and lows around 26-28 each night. That's dangerous for humans in cars, not just palm trees!

One bit of good news is they stopped the rolling blackouts. My house was losing power for 45 minutes, then on for 30 minutes or so, then off for 45 again from 7a to 2p. If the sun hadn't been out my greenhouse would have had many loses. I hope the power stays on tomorrow and Friday because the sun won't be around to bail me out. Won't this just end already.

Oh, you ain't kidding.

After half an hour!

Scary!

According to the NWS- Houston.....yesterday morning it was 70F at 653AM in Houston. One hour later it was 45F. 25F gone in one hour. Spectacular.

It was MUCH quicker than an hour, try 5-8 minutes! I left my driveway at 68 degrees and by the time I reached the freeway, 5-8 minutes at most, it was 43. Check out some of the wunderground graphs from yesterday, it was just unbelievable.

Martin, I hope you continue to stay 3-5 (or more) degrees above the forecast. We've got 23-25 tonight, but I think the real damaging days here will be Thursday night and Friday. Highs 34-36 with ice pellets (really?) and 1-3" of snow and lows around 26-28 each night. That's dangerous for humans in cars, not just palm trees!

One bit of good news is they stopped the rolling blackouts. My house was losing power for 45 minutes, then on for 30 minutes or so, then off for 45 again from 7a to 2p. If the sun hadn't been out my greenhouse would have had many loses. I hope the power stays on tomorrow and Friday because the sun won't be around to bail me out. Won't this just end already.

The only thing that has gone well today is at least we didn't get hit with any blackouts. The furnace hasn't shutdown, so I guess the heat tape is getting the job done keeping the condensate line clear. I wonder if it can handle 7F? We are already down to 16F, so it's not looking good.

Lows: