IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice warmup coming for cali - back into the high 70s

trioderob

I live at around 900 feet and have never seen frost but this weekend I could see snow!!! :mrlooney:

Here is some from earlier this month 02/03/11 @ 6:23 am...Now you've seen frost, so you wont have to see it this weekend...

post-4259-031037300 1298521634_thumb.jpg

Your welcome!

:lol: Thanks Joe Dirt for the photo! Actually there have been occasions of heavy hail in years past that were just like snow since they didn't melt for several hours. And frost is easily visible on occasion in the lower canyons near my home.

I am a bit puzzled by how the National Weather Service is forecasting minimums since both Los Angeles and San Diego offices are keeping minimums well above freezing and only barely freezing in the usual vulnerable areas [Woodland Hills, Corona, Temecula, Oceanside]. I can not image the possibility of snow down to or below 1000 feet yet not have frost everywhere the following night! :huh: On the other hand, it has been cold for over a week [barely 60F during the day] yet nights have been cold but not that cold [40's].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

One afternoon in the early 80's, we had a hail storm that dropped a solid layer of hail, covering everything in white. The hail fell at about noon and it was still all over the ground at 5pm when my Dad came home from work. We got pictures of the tire tracks made in the hail going up the street. It looked like snow.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Every Weather source has this as a possible record breaking weekend....Although some are backing off/hedging a little...

Since the warm weather last month has started the palms growing, now we get to watch them burn from the cold...with only 3-4 new leaves a year we will be reminded of this for months to come...these are teaching moments for us...

Every Weather source has this as a possible record breaking weekend....Although some are backing off/hedging a little...

Since the warm weather last month has started the palms growing, now we get to watch them burn from the cold...with only 3-4 new leaves a year we will be reminded of this for months to come...these are teaching moments for us...

Maybe it won't be as extreme as forecasted; let's hope that's the case anyway! Let's get into March! Make winter '11 declared over and into the meteorological history books!

Palm Dr.

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I will run a heater in my greenhouse Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Some small potted palms will be moved under the cover of larger ones. Everything else is on it's own! Local forcasts for Grover Beach have temperatures right around freezing for those nights/mornings. I'm hoping the cloud cover lingers until the sun comes up. Good luck everybody! It doesn't look as severe as the cold spell of January 2007. Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Maybe it won't be as extreme as forecasted; let's hope that's the case anyway! Let's get into March! Make winter '11 declared over and into the meteorological history books!

Palm Dr.

I agree, I ready for spring too...I was ready 2 weeks ago when it was 70f daily...

These episodes and weather extremes are good for us though...It helps determine what will stay planted and what will get pulled...Its just a pain moving pots since you know they shouldn't be out in the cold...

Palm Dr.

I agree, I ready for spring too...I was ready 2 weeks ago when it was 70f daily...

These episodes and weather extremes are good for us though...It helps determine what will stay planted and what will get pulled...Its just a pain moving pots since you know they shouldn't be out in the cold...

I "hear you" Perry. At this stage of my palm planting "hobby" I just cannot get intyo too much of a depressed state if nature takes back her palms...from what is HER garden, ultimately! We will continue to salivate over the super tender stuff; get to play "tropic rainforest man" for maybe a few years but beyond that, who knows? It would be weird though that SoCal's coldest nights could be vthyis Sat, & Sun.

I don't "buy it!" We'll see!

Have a good weekend in whatever you choose to do, Perry...and "WELCOME" (belatedly)

PalmDr.

Thanks Paul for your kind words and concern for us Palm planters out here on the West Coast. I'm lucky enough to have the ocean influence moderating temperatures, it looks like it may be colder inland for these next few days. Anyway we have to protect what we can, and not get too worked up over forces we have no control over. Spring is less than a month away! I hope this cold snap ends quickly and is the last one of the year! Perry

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Palm Dr.

I "hear you" Perry. At this stage of my palm planting "hobby" I just cannot get intyo too much of a depressed state if nature takes back her palms...from what is HER garden, ultimately! We will continue to salivate over the super tender stuff; get to play "tropic rainforest man" for maybe a few years but beyond that, who knows? It would be weird though that SoCal's coldest nights could be vthyis Sat, & Sun.

I don't "buy it!" We'll see!

Have a good weekend in whatever you choose to do, Perry...and "WELCOME" (belatedly)

PalmDr.

Hi Paul, how have you been, my friend? I still recall the wonderful visit to your casita in Pembroke Pines several years ago admiring the great garden you have created!

To be honest, the National Weather Service is both elated to have a snowstorm baring down on the lowlands and also nervous that they get it right! :lol: I get emails from the LA chapter of the American Meteorological Society where candid discussions occur between private and public meteorologists. The models can't do all the work and because this system is so unusual the computer models are also struggling with the idea of low elevation snow. Now there is talk of a possible hard freeze at least in the valleys this weekend but NWS is projecting minimums above freezing for most areas west of the mountains. If it snows down to or below 1000 feet and then clears overnight I cannot imagine how most areas will escape frost including the foothills and beach areas. The next 48 to 72 hours should be very interesting, indeed. :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Something tells me, Happ, that this meteorological "excitement" would be better just as conjecture because you know how lousy the 10, 5, 405, 610, and 101 can be just on regular weekend nights! Caltrans better send out reinforcement if this baby materializes!

Other than that Happ, I'm doing pretty good when my bi-polar crap isn't sending me signals about stuff that is in all likelihood NEVER going to happen! I'm learning to intercept brain-pulsing signals, and TRY and put my mind on other stuff!

Palm Doctor, LLC is staying strong business-wise but sometimes, it makes me overload the brain with impossible tasks that I could never hope to accomplish as rapidly as I'd like!

The landscape is looking pretty sharp; I owe you guys photos; bear with me, Happ et al; I forgot how to put ophotos in a post; don't laugh, that truck wiping me out, also wiped out a ton of my memory for real easy stuff, and I tighten up with worry that everyone knows how to imbed photos except me, and there goes my good mood. It's THAT easy to lose my cool, and that really makes me feel very, very low.

That's 'bout it! I hope the best of possible outcomes occurs this weekend Cal friends! This country could dip back into recession if we lose more winter crop stuff, as we did in parts of Florida!

Later, folks!

Palm Dr.

PS: Happ, could you PM me to tell me how to upload & download photos for our PalmTalk? I need your help me brother. Thank you, Happ.

Recorded nearly 2 inches of rain overnight but snow levels remained above 3000' for the most part so the much advertised low elevation snow didn't materialize. The post frontal airmass is quite cold however and still unstable so thunderstorms may develop over the ocean and move inland this afternoon. Maximums in the low 50's could break records all over southern California and tonight's minimums may also break records; frost is forecast for all areas except the beach cities. I could experience frost for the first time here in the foothills unless it is windy or cloudy; neither is which is forecast.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

52F at 11am in San Clemente. .80" rain so far. At the Nursery in East Oceanside we got 2" rain. So far both locations have managed to stay above 50F the past 24hrs. Winds out of NW picking up now. We have had several nights of frost this winter with much damage to plants at the nursery :( .Coldest temp at my San Clemente location 39F, and at the nursery 28F. I hope March comes in like a Lion with it's tail on fire :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

52F at 11am in San Clemente. .80" rain so far. At the Nursery in East Oceanside we got 2" rain. So far both locations have managed to stay above 50F the past 24hrs. Winds out of NW picking up now. We have had several nights of frost this winter with much damage to plants at the nursery :( .Coldest temp at my San Clemente location 39F, and at the nursery 28F. I hope March comes in like a Lion with it's tail on fire :lol:

My pool was up by at least 2 inches, closer to 3 this morning. Tonights forecast low is 34F and tomorrow's is 37F. I can live with these numbers, but hope we're done with it.

By the way, weatherunderground has records for Oceanside Airport weather data going back 12 years, and this is the coldest February in that time frame. We will end up with a total of 54 growing degree days. 100-120 is normal, and 205 is the 12-year high. Last month we had 142 GGDs.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I got about 1" at my new house and recorded a max of 57F. Really not a bad sitch.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Though cold, today was warmer than originally forecast but it is a cold day in California when the warmest maximum is only around 60F\ 15.5C [santa Ana\ Vista\ Thermal]. Temps are already falling into the 40's at 7PM. There may be wind tonight but 30's or below should be widespread everywhere.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

yeah- I picked up 2" plus of rain last night..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i was just in el cajon & you could see your breath.10-12 minutes later in lowlando you could not.

lots of snow in our local mts,even had some road closures on the way to anza borrego.i plan on posting some pix.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Covered what I could today - will be testing everything else.

This morning's frost was pretty light but tonight we'll almost certainly have about four hours below freezing.

No good for the palms but the bulbs are happy.

post-3415-087765600 1298786414_thumb.jpg

post-3415-032465400 1298787344_thumb.jpg

post-3415-046036400 1298787516_thumb.jpg

i really don't think it's going to get that cold tonite in north county....lots of cloud cover.

hrmmmm....may have spoken too soon......just walked outside before going to bed and it is CLEAR AS A BELL out there!!! :(

34 @ 1:20a. I see some stations around Pasadena reporting around 32 already

Edited by enigma99

6am - heavy frost on cars here at 900ft elevation out in the open. Although temperature sensors in yard areas never dropped below 35F

35F out front under no canopy this morning. The frost on the cars is mainly on the roof but not the windows, so not a particularly hard event. It was clear this morning but a small breeze kept the hard stuff at bay. Tonight could be nastier though... :unsure:

Edited by nachocarl

Carl

Vista, CA

Stayed above freezing here last night and virtually no frost either. Now we're in a slow warming trend so no worries for tonight. At 33F, last night was tied with one night in November as my lowest temperature this season. C'mon spring!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

36 at 6am with frost on roofs in San Clemente. Have seen this only a couple times here in all the years! Haven't checked in with Braden at the O'side nursery, but it won't be good :(

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

This morning is the coldest day of winter for much of southern California and tonight could be another round of cold temps. Only the metro\ "heat island" regions [downtown LA\ San Diego] and some beach cities remained above 40F\ 4.4C; it was colder earlier this winter in some of these areas. Wind kept temps up in the foothills also. But near freezing or below minimums were widespread thru all the coastal valleys and frost is being reported in many areas this morning. A relative of mine in Tierrasanta\ San Diego mentioned that frost is visible on the golf course below the mesas.

This was winter's worst punch but I think the fact that it occurred so late in February lessened its impact somewhat.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

36 at 6am with frost on roofs in San Clemente. Have seen this only a couple times here in all the years! Haven't checked in with Braden at the O'side nursery, but it won't be good :(

34F was my low, just 2 miles from the nursery. It was 43F and raining well after midnight last night. That was a fast drop, and if it had gone much lower would have been bad with everything still dripping wet.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

When I went to bed last night it was 39 and raining here in Fallbrook. When I woke up this morning @ 6:00 it was 30.3 which is my lowest in 4 years of being here. First time I've ever seen frost on my grass and plants. Thankfully I put a heat lamp in the greenhouse (that kept it at 42) and covered what I could in the yard.

• Upvote 1

37.2F under canopy, 37.0F out in the open this morning. This is the coldest I've ever recorded, with frost on the canyon grass. The moist cold air renders Manambe Lavaka's sloping microclimate ineffective. We only stay warmer than most on the dry nights when we get large temerature gradients between the different elevations. Still, 37F for an all time low ain't too shabby. I'll take the cold as long as we get the rain with it. I'm happy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I slept in because I wasn't worried... no idea how cold it was.. but it all LOOKS OK.. If Terry was 34F I was probably 35-36F

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

WOW! the tale of the tape (and the memorial MattyB trashcan ) tells over 4" here in the last 10 days?

I think I'm approaching 25" for the season.. :o

post-27-008554600 1298831338_thumb.jpg

38.1F my low this morning.

View of mountains NE of San Diego as viewed from Point Loma:

post-216-040741700 1298831958_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

38f. here in Corona for a few hours. Roofs and auto's were frosted up. Also about 3/16" of ice in the wheel barrel that had inches of water in it.

I wonder why Corona was so warm compaired with other areas. Usually I'm amoung the cooler areas. Bill I checked Accuweather and Weather underground

not just my thermometer!:D

I was 28f. Jan 31 which burned some plants leaves, maybe colder.

Randy

test

In our coastal canyon area, following the 2:30 AM rain, there was hard ice raindrops on the vehicles and the pool of water in the bed of my pickup had began to freeze on the surface. However the water coating all the plants was still liquid, so I think that's a good thing. Everything still looks green (sort of), as opposed to the dry freeze of 2007, where many plants turned chocolate brown within hours. Seems warmer today, hopefully that will offset the clear night tonight a bit.

Bret

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Frost...low 34f at 6am...25' elevation...2 miles from beach...It felt colder...no visible damage yet...although container ranch was relocated indoors...One more morning to go...then we should start to warm up again...

• Upvote 1