IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer in the south (and winter in the north)

Tyrone

Got to 40C yesterday. Then around 8.30pm it blew up a gale from the east and everything just went mental. Branches ripped off across roads debris everywhere. Stupid easterlies. :(

Going for a coolish 38C today. I'm heading for the south coast today via the wheatbelt. It's going to be hot windy and dry out there.

Enjoy your heat Michael. Keep everything well hydrated.

Ari, enjoy your rain. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Whoa... your summer is definitely there now, Tyrone? I hope the humidity is still up....

It has been raining every day these days. At this rate, I can turn off my bore for the wet season...

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yesterday it reached 31c; today only 20c thanks to a southerly change. Now (8pm) it is only 15c outside, with drizzle and a brisk southerly.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

225mm or 9 inches in the last week,,,,totally over it,,,

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

40mm yesterday.... and more coming tonight... Apparently there is a weak low somewhere south of us.... Might be interesting rainwise...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

There's nothing interesting "rain wise" at the mo Ari, not here at least.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Well, I'm down on the south coast camping at Broke Inlet near Walpole and don't even have mobile phone access, and we are in the middle of now where with no one any where near us and my father-in-law who is a communications expert has set up a base station with full communication ability with the internet etc and amazingly I can be on Palmtalk.

Been cool on the south coast. Albany was very cold last night compared to Perth. A shock to the system after leaving a 38C Perth. Perth nearly reached 41C today and down here at Walpole was a pleasant 27C. Maybe thunderstorms tomorrow.

Lots of Macrozamia reidlii's where I am down here. Quite a beautiful neat form too.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The northen hemisphere sure is a mess right now. I am glad that I am not travvelling up there. There are a lot of Brazil - Northern hemisphere flights cancelled today.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Nice sunny dry day , act. got up to 30 or so , might have to irrigate tomorrow :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

205 mm of rain last week, everything is soaked.

The kids are driving me mad cause they cant go outside & like Daryl said "TOTALLY OVER IT".

Where are our normal 30 deg C days & 75% humidity?. I would love a week of sunshine.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Well, I'm down on the south coast camping at Broke Inlet near Walpole and don't even have mobile phone access, and we are in the middle of now where with no one any where near us and my father-in-law who is a communications expert has set up a base station with full communication ability with the internet etc and amazingly I can be on Palmtalk.

Been cool on the south coast. Albany was very cold last night compared to Perth. A shock to the system after leaving a 38C Perth. Perth nearly reached 41C today and down here at Walpole was a pleasant 27C. Maybe thunderstorms tomorrow.

Lots of Macrozamia reidlii's where I am down here. Quite a beautiful neat form too.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, you seem to be getting the best of the Aussie summer? Everywhere else appears to be under water. Even snow on the tops I hear?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

I think Tyrone would rather have more rain... lol.

That low is dumping a lot of rain... the model predicts a cyclone towards the end of the week. I guess we shall see what happens... As long as it stays south & dump a lot of rain only, without the wind.. I am good.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

HOT HOT HOT.

Going for 40C today with very gusty dry winds from the north...... that's palm killing weather. :angry:

Everything was soaked last night and again this morning.

Due to my lack of canopy, I spent last night and this morning putting up temporary shade over some of my more delicate in-ground stuff. All palms were taken out of the pergola and put in the laundry, bathroom and under whatever shade was available.

Temp in the pergola was a toasty 46C, and I think it will nudge 50C in there this afternoon........ eek.

Shadecloth covering some delicates such as Cyphophoenix nucele, some Chammies etc.

post-953-044303000 1293756146_thumb.jpg

post-953-028781700 1293756168_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Refuge in the bathtub..... foxy lady, various Dypsis and Archontophoenix seedlings.

post-953-063047600 1293756375_thumb.jpg

3 x 1 foot tall A.pupurea seedlings under here... couldn't bear the thought of these guys getting toasted.

Close up of my hi-tech engineering solution to keep the sheet over one of the leaflets... :lol:

post-953-040103900 1293756513_thumb.jpg

post-953-009314500 1293756551_thumb.jpg

Didn't want "Fat Tony", my favorite Hedyscepe being crisped either. Not the most elegant of covers, but effective.

Will be watering a lot today......

To our American & European friends protecting their prized palms and staring anxiously at the temperature - here's to solidarity ! :unsure:

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Regards

Michael

post-953-003531300 1293756658_thumb.jpg

good luck Michael.... BTW, your foxy lady is looking good.... Remember me, if you want to get rid of it :mrlooney:

Hot here.... the sun is out & the low has taken our rain to WA. So waiting for the next one to form up, apparently Sunday. We shall see... I have to turn the watering back on since I planted so many stuff yesterday!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here on the southern side of the American equator it is raining and the year may come in with water. It probably will rain off and on. It is the rainy season though and this is what it is supposed to do.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

How did your garden fair in the end Michael?

Down on the south coast it was cool and didn't get past 29C, and was cold at night with nights around 13C.

Perth originally had 4 days in a row forecast to be 40C, but thankfully we only had one, then the humidity kicked in with a humid 36C on Monday and humid 38C today with dewpoints peaking at 22C during the day. Around 22C mins at night. Very hot travelling back from Albany today. Car had trouble keeping the temp down with the air con on. Got stuck in a closed Albany Highway after a car hit a truck and held traffic back in both directions for km's while a helicopter took the injured away. I think it was a fatal. Boy it was hot on the side of the road though. Shock to the system after being on the southern ocean. It must have been 42C.

Expecting rain and thunderstorms tomorrow with a low of 22C and a max of 27C. Real tropical stuff. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

After a 23.8C min I woke up this morning at 6.30am to 29C and large thunder drops on the patio roof. Rains heading our way. drool.gif

Got to go back to work today. Installing some retic. :(

Didn't install the retic. Got rained out. ironic really.

It got to around 30C then the rain started and dewpoints shot up to 24C. Drove through some torrential rain with visibility down to 20m and intersections were flooding after a very short time. The air is thick heavy and humid. BEWDIFUL. drool.gif

Here's a pic of some of my Foxy Ladies with the clouds behind.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-059000500 1294198897_thumb.jpg

The pressures down to 998 hPa and going down. Rain is approaching and a road weather alert has been issued. More rain on the radar. This is exciting.drool.gif

Hope she buckets down on Perth for you Tyrone - you guys really need it.

All my stuff was fine in the recent hot spell.

Going for 30C tomorrow, and high 30's after that, with possible thundery showers. :)

Regards

Michael

Enjoy it Tyrone... Weather is BORING BORING BORING here. The models have been all over the place, so I don't hold my breath... Although, the garden is still growing & doing great!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Got about 20mm of rain from this system. Not amazing when compared to the east at the moment, but I'm not complaining and it's more than the Jan average anyway. Everything is so lush and green and wet in my garden at the moment. Chance of a morning shower for the next couple of days then back to normal west coast Jan weather. Dry blue skies with mins around 20C and max's around 35C.

Best regards

Tyrone

More gloomy weather over here...cloudy all day and grey...not typical summer weather!

We got hit with more storms last night, and the airport copped 110mm (4.5") in 2 hours. We were luckier and only got 27mm. Would have been better if it was 0mm! Never thought I'd say that!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Send it my way, Daryl... I would be happy to take it off your hand...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More gloomy weather over here...cloudy all day and grey...not typical summer weather!

We got hit with more storms last night, and the airport copped 110mm (4.5") in 2 hours. We were luckier and only got 27mm. Would have been better if it was 0mm! Never thought I'd say that!

Daryl

Let's do a swap Daryl. For a month. :)

Monsoonal flow today.... Gee, I really can't make sense of this monsoonal flow... it comes and goes. Usually we have them for 2 weeks at the time... Oh well, more than 20mm in the rain gauge, so I am happy. Planted HEAPS!!!! Not just palms though... some zamias, some gingers, 2 dypsis, some caladiums, and now we rest.... If this continues tomorrow, 4 bamboos are going in!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The first five days of Januaray 2011 were great. Hot, sunny & humid. The last 3 days however have been back to the rain, rain & then some more heavy rain, about 150mm has fallen so far.

I did manage to get another section of my native palm garden finished & ready for planting so I need another couple of days of sunshine to get some Archontophoenix purpurea, Archo maxima, Laccospadix australasia, Hedyscepe, Howea & Livistona nitida planted out.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Here's my forecast. Cool today then back with the normal program afterwards. No rain on the cards though. :(

Forecast for Friday Cloudy periods with a possible light shower in the morning. A partly cloudyafternoon. Moderate SW'ly winds.Precis: Possible morning shower. City: Max 25 Mandurah: Max 24

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 4:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Saturday Sunny. Min 15 Max 30Sunday Sunny. Min 18 Max 35Monday Sunny. Min 21 Max 35Tuesday Sunny. Min 20 Max 34Wednesday Sunny. Min 19 Max 35Thursday Sunny. Min 20 Max 35

Best regards

Tyrone

The first five days of Januaray 2011 were great. Hot, sunny & humid. The last 3 days however have been back to the rain, rain & then some more heavy rain, about 150mm has fallen so far.

I did manage to get another section of my native palm garden finished & ready for planting so I need another couple of days of sunshine to get some Archontophoenix purpurea, Archo maxima, Laccospadix australasia, Hedyscepe, Howea & Livistona nitida planted out.

You don't need a sunny day to plant. As long as it is not heavy pouring rain, you can still plant.... I did yesterday :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More rain here...between one and four inches a day...cool but very, very humid as well.

Precis: Rain periods, possible thunder. City: Min 22Max 26Bayside: Min 21Max 26 UV Alert from 7:40 am to 4:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 15 [Extreme]

Sunday Rain periods, possible thunder. Min 22Max 25Monday Rain periods, possible thunder. Min 21Max 25Tuesday Rain periods, possible thunder. Min 21Max 25Wednesday Rain at times. Min 20Max 27Thursday A few showers Min 21Max 28Friday A few showers. Min 20Max 28Daryl

Hi Ari

The rain dosen't worry me at all but the soil is just too wet & muddy to plant anything at the moment.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

We've had regular rain here so far. Normally I'm complaining about the dry conditions at this time of year.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Expecting 10-20mm of rain every day for the next 5 days here. That, coupled with temps of 25C or so...... perfect :D

Regards

Michael.

Perfect monsoon weather now.... overcast with rain on and off, sun comes out every now and then for a few hours for maximal growth... Just perfect!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

37C today. Got to prepare a lawn area today. :(

Hhmm... stay in the shade, Tyrone. Actually it was 37 deg here too when I planted all my lawn plugs 2 years ago, and I was pregnant :blink:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ran out of sand before lunch, so had to call it a day. It seemed real hot today. Had dinner down on South Beach in Fremantle and watched the sun go down through smoke from the Mandurah fires. Isn't it amazing how pollution can make a sunset so beautiful. 35C tomorrow after a 20C min tonight. Got more sand delivered so got to finish the prep tomorrow. Wlll be laying the lawn on Wed when it's 37C. :( Will try and get it done early.

Best regards

Tyrone