IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

26 degrees this am in Punta Gorda,FL

Vincent

I am just curious, have there been many freshwater fish dying due to the cold? I would imagine that in South Florida some fish like the peacock bass that are in the cannels may be affected. They are like tropical palms and can not take anything remotely cold.

I feel for you all experiencing the cold this year.

dk

I havent heard about fish kills yet, Don. I am not in south forida, but central west coast florida(near bradenton). We have had more frequent, shorter bursts of cold this year,interspersed with a few warmer days. Last year we had 10 consecutive days of 26-36 low temps, coldest 10 day streak in 30 years, and there was a huge fish die off in the gulf. I saw 5 ~3' groupers dead on the beach one day at the mouth of tampa bay. I also remember seeing some small freshwater ponds with small dead fish all over the place in Largo last year. Water temps are 54-55F in the gulf, I think water temps went lower(50-51F?) last year during the 10 day cold event. It seems we are getting repeated 3 day events spaced by 2-3 day modest warmups and perhaps this means that water temps dont fall as low. We are supposed to warm up to 65 today, 72 tomorrow and into the 76-79 range over the weekend so the water, especially the freshwater, should warm up a bit this weekend.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks Tom,

I was curious. Fish are know to die here sometimes if the air temperatures get below 70 F.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

From what I've read, a lot of the tropical fish ...farmers (?) are reporting a total loss. Not the same as native fish dying in huge numbers, but it must be a real bummer to have this happen after just having gone through it last January.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

about 60F water temp is what most tropical freshwater fish can take, and then only for a while. In 1996 is saw dead tropicals: cichlids, oscars and some others along US 41. Good ole tilapia take cold like champs, however.

the peacock bass species in south florida is the smaller one than the common biggun down by you don, the reason we have that one here is it can take a few degrees of colder water, briefly anyway.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Alan,

I tried to catch some S. Florida peacocks around Fort Lauderdale. But, no luck. I had read that they were not a species common around here. We have I think 6 varieties of peacock bass here. They sure are great fish to catch.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Last year in the Cape Coral Fl. canals there were many different kinds of extoticsthat died (chiclids, cat fish, and unknowns) It will take afew days for the dead ones to float up. I dont think the cold was as prolonged this year. I didnt notice any dead Snook this year Last year there were more than you could count

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind