IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huge Storm on the Horizon?

happ

Yes it is very wet. We can hope it is like this for all winter ? But the weather here can be crazy.....it is possible the rain stop after this and we have very little rain or nothing in january and february. I remember this is what happen in 2003 i think. Every drop of rain is important in this part of the world.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

I am now at 4" of rain in san diego state area

1" yesterday and 3 more inches today as shown on a true rain guage.

from 8-10 am this morning 2" fell !

Edited by trioderob

The closest site to me is Del Mar and it has reported 2" in the last 24 hrs. Seems like more, however. Should get another 2" between now and tomorrow afternoon.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My raingauge is topped out at 5" which is a total from the whole weekend. Spend the afternoon up on the roof trying to get a tarp over the HVAC unit to stop the leak! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Tonight into tomorrow is the last but most powerful surge of moisture since this storm's development late last week. Rainfall rates up to 2 inches per hour are possible tonight during thunderstorms and landslides\ mudslides are likely in certain vulnerable areas. Unbelievable amounts of snowfall have been recorded in Mammoth Mt\ southern Sierra Nevada [over 12 feet\ 3657mm] since Thursday of last week. I now have well over 10 inches\ 254mm this month; that is over half the normal rainfall in a typical year.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Matt, is your HVAC unit a heat and cool system? If so don't turn on for heat when covered! Don't want you to ruin it :)

But if you do blow it up, I'll sell you a new one! :lol:

It has a refrigerant leak.... And I know its a newer Carrier...I'm pretty sure its a heat pump... So Matty, can't run it covered up...

:)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, at this point I should say I BELIEVE happs original statement! (I think Kevins too!) :unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA 421 PM PST TUE DEC 21 2010

...POTENTIAL FOR STRONG THUNDERSTORMS LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...A VIGOROUS COLD FRONT WILL MOVE INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATER TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING...WITH A COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS LINGERING ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THE COMBINATION OF STRONG DYNAMICS AND INSTABILITY ACROSS THE REGION WILL BRING AN INCREASING CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. SOME OF THESE STORMS COULD BE STRONG...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR GUSTY WINDS...HEAVY DOWNPOURS...HAIL...AND DANGEROUS CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING. CONDITIONS WILL ALSO BE FAVORABLE FOR ROTATING STORMS LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY...RESULTING IN THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUTS AND ISOLATED SMALL TORNADOS...WITH THE GREATEST THREAT ACROSS COASTAL VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES...AND ADJACENT WATERS. SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL HAS SOAKED SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA DURING THE PAST WEEK...WITH SOME AREAS REACHING OR APPROACHING SATURATED CONDITIONS. IF THE STRONGER THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOP...THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR HIGH INTENSITY RAINFALL...BRINGING A SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR DANGEROUS FLASHING FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOWS...ESPECIALLY IN RECENT BURN AREAS. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE FLASH FLOODING POTENTIAL... PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST FLASH FLOOD WATCH PRODUCT. RESIDENTS OF SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA NEED TO STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER AND FLASH FLOODING.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ug! Saw a small mudslide on my street, half the road is blocked, as I drove to work this morning. Making me nervous. I've never seen this much rain at once as far as I can remember. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Can't say yet how much rain I had, but I was at 5 inches before last nights down pour. It was brutal last night with 25 to 50 MPH winds and heavy rain.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

AND MORE TO COME

FROM THE NWS:

" A COLD UPPER TROUGH WILL MOVE THROUGH LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND

EVENING. THIS WILL BRING AN INCREASING CHANCE OF MORE CONVECTIVE

WEATHER WITH POSSIBLE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...WATERSPOUTS AND

ISOLATED TORNADOES. "

Edited by trioderob

Lots of mudslides in the county even in areas like Mt. Helix which is composed of the same rock as my hillside, granite. We're not supposed to get mudslides on solid rock! :( My house is wet inside from leaks but no major mud slides as of yet. Fingers crossed that we can make it through today and tonight. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

:angry: Woke up this am (wed) to see water flowing thru the garage, and the backyard flooded. Water flowing over the top of the spa. 3.5" of rain overnite for a total of approx 9" since this started last fri.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

SIDE NOTE JUST BECAUSE OF THE EXTREME RAIN EVENT IN SOUTHERN CAL:

HOW LONG DO PALMS ROOTS HAVE TO BE FLOODED UNDER WATER BEFORE THEY DIE ?

Edited by trioderob

Don't worry about it Triode. This is fresh, oxygenated water, they can be saturated like this for a few weeks no problem. It's only if you have bad drainage that you have to worry because long after the rain stops the soil will be soggy, boggy, stale, and most detrimental, lacking oxygen. I've grown several different types of palms in my parents pond and even through the cold Winter, with roots completely submerged, they are fine.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hows everyone going now ? Hope all is well as can be.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I think I'm in excess of 5" right now. Seems to be a few hour long respite at the moment. Stopped raining at about 8:30AM and no new rain for about 3+ hours.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

:blink:

Ha!! Well, we know that's not true, don't we? Thay also don't use westbound 747s any more. At least not from anywhere in the US.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Today's thunderstorms dumped an incredible 3.69 inches on top of the 10+ inches accumulated since late last week. My December rainfall is now just shy of 14 inches\ 355mm; the rain year total [since July] is now 18.30"\ 464mm [about normal for an entire rainyear ending in June].

It is a miracle that some of the foothill communities are not entirely buried in mud but sometimes it takes several days or weeks before the land finally gives way.

I think we can safely say that the worse is behind us and that even if we manage to get more rainfall this month [which is possible] that it will thankfully not be a repeat of what has occurred. :wacko:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hows everyone going now ? Hope all is well as can be.

We are wonderful!

Saw a Double Rainbow today over downtown LA . . .

Have a nice day! :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here are some photos of the rainbow and other great shots of the storm:

http://framework.latimes.com/2010/12/22/series-of-storms-hits-southern-california/#/0

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

:blink:

Ha!! Well, we know that's not true, don't we? Thay also don't use westbound 747s any more. At least not from anywhere in the US.

This is definitely my next pick for karaoke.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I also collected 7.5 inches for the storm total near San Diego State.

There have been whole seasons here with less rain.