IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Here we go again in Florida !!!

jrh735

The cold weather is starting a whole month earlier than last year. This morning I woke up to 41 degrees in Miami beach. Next week I heard there is supposed to be an even colder blast. The coconut palms took a beating here last winter. They just started to look good again. I fear that many palms that were weakened by the cold during the winter of 2010 will not survive if we have a repeat performance.Someone told me that 50% of the Coconuts in SW Florida were killed last winter. It breaks my heart.

The cold weather is starting a whole month earlier than last year. This morning I woke up to 41 degrees in Miami beach. Next week I heard there is supposed to be an even colder blast. The coconut palms took a beating here last winter. They just started to look good again. I fear that many palms that were weakened by the cold during the winter of 2010 will not survive if we have a repeat performance.Someone told me that 50% of the Coconuts in SW Florida were killed last winter. It breaks my heart.

Well I guess our "mild winter" predicted by the atmosperhic scientists might not be so mild after all. The weather is hard to predict even a few months in advance. After last winters 30 year cold, I was hoping for a winter that would get all the global warming birds chirping..... I have covered all my little containers and my in ground archonto alexandre and am bracing for the next event. 36F was the overnight low and it is supposed to be a few degrees lower tonight, then even colder next week.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hows that zone move working Tom?

I can't pick on Tom that way....

I should say "Hows that global warming working for everyone"? Maybe we should stop all the crap now, we went to far and made the planet cold!!!

Edited by BS Man about Palms

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hows that zone move working Tom?

I can't pick on Tom that way....

I should say "Hows that global warming working for everyone"? Maybe we should stop all the crap now, we went to far and made the planet cold!!! :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I don't think it needs to be pointed out that any attempt at discussion about global warming is an automatic death sentence for the thread!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

What about climate change?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Global warming. Climate change. Greenhouse effect. CO2 buildup. Al Gore.

Oh oh, that list may blow up not just the thread, but all of Palmtalk!

:lol:

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

The last several years it has been mid-December before we have had our first freeze. This year I've been to 23F at least half a dozen times already. Hope it isn't an omen of things to come. La Nina usually means dry conditions here, and the dry air heats and cools very efficiently. End result 23F for a low with a high that afternoon of 70F. The Pentas by my SE facing front door haven't even been damaged yet, but I am noticing some damage to my Washingtonia robustas already.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

But seriously, it is a real concern that winter is starting so quick and cold. If this keeps up, there will be real problems in the palm gardens from here way into Florida. Not a pleasant situation.

The good thing though is that NWS predictions for "the winter" often predict mean, not strictly extreme, wither conditions. Therefore, not just individual cold fronts - which is what we normally care about. In spite of a couple of bad fronts at the beginning, it may yet be a mild winter overall. I have seen that before here. That is just the opposite of last year that started very mild (no frost here till January 1) then obviously became hideous. I know that doesn't help us who are way zone stretching, where one or two cold nights can be mortal, but these storms may not decrease the mean winter low all that much. Hopefully.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Global warming. Climate change. Greenhouse effect. CO2 buildup. Al Gore.

Oh oh, that list may blow up not just the thread, but all of Palmtalk!

:lol:

Consider yourself on double-secret probation. :unsure:

post-1729-016603500 1291746560_thumb.png

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Martin:

Ouch! 23 on multiple occasiona already?

How does the rest of the nursery look?

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Martin:

Ouch! 23 on multiple occasiona already?

How does the rest of the nursery look?

The stuff I'm growing in the nursery pretty much laughs at 23F. Kind of surprised by the light bronzing on some of the Washingtonias though. That usually requires more like 20F or lower. Getting old moving the container ranch in and out of the garage. My 30' x 60' greenhouse is going to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see how fast I can put that up with the added motivation of being able to put the small stuff in there.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Yeah, get that greenhouse built! Last winter I had my high school students build a small one, it didn't take too long (remember: teenagers), and it helped a lot. Until everything in town froze in January, but there was nobody there over break to keep it properly heated. Still, most things did ok.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

This one will be automated as far as temperature control with thermostatically controlled heater, exhaust and circulation fans, inlet shutters, and evaporative cooler. The watering system will also be on timers. Trying to keep it from being too time consuming to operate it.

Lows:

But seriously, it is a real concern that winter is starting so quick and cold. If this keeps up, there will be real problems in the palm gardens from here way into Florida. Not a pleasant situation.

The good thing though is that NWS predictions for "the winter" often predict mean, not strictly extreme, wither conditions. Therefore, not just individual cold fronts - which is what we normally care about. In spite of a couple of bad fronts at the beginning, it may yet be a mild winter overall. I have seen that before here. That is just the opposite of last year that started very mild (no frost here till January 1) then obviously became hideous. I know that doesn't help us who are way zone stretching, where one or two cold nights can be mortal, but these storms may not decrease the mean winter low all that much. Hopefully.

You make a good point. During winters that had severe cold outbreaks resulting in widespread frost & sub-freezing temps in California [namely 1990 & 2007] once the events were over the rest of winter was mild. But all it takes is for one night below freezing to wipe-out certain species of palms. On the other hand, winters characterized by long periods of below normal temps can slow growth and make gardens look miserable but never outright kill most palms.

Good luck to everyone in Florida; I can't bear the thought of frost at Fairchild.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

One interesting point of "global warming" is the colder weather. The Great Lakes and far north waters take longer to freeze over and/or keep warmer. That allows moisture to accumulate and higher dewpoints, causing stronger storms. Stronger storms pull in colder air directly out of the arctic with more force. Notice how the low pressures have been deepening? That is my theory anyway! Also, weather cycles and these troughs are getting stuck over the NE coast of Canada, swinging in colder, more arctic oriented air. As a caveat, warmer temps can also lead to MORE snow in dry, tundra-like winter climates which speeds cold air down. Land causes friction tending to moderate cold air somewhat. Believing this helps make these horrible cold snaps easier to digest! Funny, Jupiter FL (near Palm Beach, reported frost while I hit 36.7 with no frost, and it was 42F at 4am with a light Gulf breeze. They are like 150 mi S of me and on the Atlantic side! :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I've given up trying to understand the weather, or how the forcasters come up with their numbers. I'm sure they do have some sort of scientifically-based method, but in some of these cold events it just seems totally haphazard. According to the NWS, our low here in Seminole (Pinellas county) is forcast to be just 1 degree below Miami Beach. Not that I'm complaining, but then again I don't live in Miami Beach.

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

I've given up trying to understand the weather, or how the forcasters come up with their numbers. I'm sure they do have some sort of scientifically-based method, but in some of these cold events it just seems totally haphazard. According to the NWS, our low here in Seminole (Pinellas county) is forcast to be just 1 degree below Miami Beach. Not that I'm complaining, but then again I don't live in Miami Beach.

Happens all the time (that SE FL low temps are close to Pinellas temps). But, their temps are very brief and ours might be hanging out around that value for hours.

I too am not sure how forecasts are arrived at as all the various outlets can vary so much even just a few hours before the event.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Happens all the time (that SE FL low temps are close to Pinellas temps). But, their temps are very brief and ours might be hanging out around that value for hours.

I too am not sure how forecasts are arrived at as all the various outlets can vary so much even just a few hours before the event.

Exhibit A of the above----

For tonight, weatherunderground says Tarpon Springs will be 29F while NWS says 38F. NWS seems to feels the winds will continue NW all night which would obviously be welcomed.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

We're usually a day ahead of Florida. We took our first hard freeze, 28, last night. So that means tonight is your night. Good luck folks.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You're absolutely "spot on" with your comments/observations!! Zone 10 palms really cannot continue to fight the cold for so extended a time! They are really very weakened from Jan-Feb 2010; this polar shot of cold, Canadian might really wipe out a bunch more.

If this type of weather is going to be a regular yearly occurance; the skyline of palms will be indeed quite different from what we grew up here with in So Fla.

It's the variabilities of nature; we can witness/experience what's going on, but as far as changing the outcomes of all this cold? Not a very successful scenario, I'd venture to day.

I'm getting ready to stay up all night as many PALM LOVERS will, I'm sure do also. Maybe some scattered clouds will save the night but right now it's still, clear as can be and the temperature dropped 4 F. since 6 PM EST. It's about 52 F. right now.

All the best!

Pablito

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I don't cover nothin. If it freezes and dies here in South Florida, it wasn't meant to be. And if it was a species I really liked, I just go out and buy another one. All to often, we cover and protect a palm from frost, only to have it die of some other unexplained reason some time later. :(

Some of the forecasts are beginning to suggest a 1980s style freeze in Central Florida for early next week. Weather.com's forecast now calls for a high of 46 Monday and a low of 23 on Monday night for Orlando! I may have to test my "palmageddon" palm protection plan that I have always had in my mind for if lows are expected to get in the lower 20s (or below). This would involve cutting off all fronds and double/triple wrapping the trunk and up over the emerging spear. In a couple days we'll have a better idea what will happen.

-Michael

weather.com now forecasting 29 fo Jupiter on the 13th, even though last year was cold we never saw 29. I hope they are wrong.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

We bottomed out at 23* this morning here in Central Florida (Polk County). This reading was from my fence post gauge which is way out in our field/pasture area, away from the house and all trees. It is about 4 1/2 ft off of the ground. I keep it there because most all of my palms are out in the open along with it (about 2 1/2 acres). Heavy frost, grass is toast as well as many plants. I'm surrounded by heavily wooded areas and it always seems to be much colder out here. I can drive 2 miles up the road and my gauge in my car will go up by about 5 degrees on a cold morning. Anyone else on here seem to be in a "cold spot"?

Zone 9 Central Florida

Wow, you certainly are in a cold location Jay! Our nearest weather station reported 27 degrees in Ocala. Not bad if true.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Lets hope its not Cold like 1983 or 1985 Temps fell into the teens in the Tampa area with highs only in th 30s In N. Fl. temps fell to 10 So far in S.W. Fl. only low 40s next week a little colder depending on the wind direction. N.W. is not as bad as N.:(

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I don't cover nothin. If it freezes and dies here in South Florida, it wasn't meant to be. And if it was a species I really liked, I just go out and buy another one. All to often, we cover and protect a palm from frost, only to have it die of some other unexplained reason some time later. :(

You have the exact same philosophy as me ! except central Florida

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Lets hope its not Cold like 1983 or 1985 Temps fell into the teens in the Tampa area with highs only in th 30s In N. Fl. temps fell to 10 So far in S.W. Fl. only low 40s next week a little colder depending on the wind direction. N.W. is not as bad as N.:(

I remember the '83 and '85 freezes. I was at UF at the time. Made me question why I left CO to go to school in FL.

Lows:

Some of the forecasts are beginning to suggest a 1980s style freeze in Central Florida for early next week. Weather.com's forecast now calls for a high of 46 Monday and a low of 23 on Monday night for Orlando! I may have to test my "palmageddon" palm protection plan that I have always had in my mind for if lows are expected to get in the lower 20s (or below). This would involve cutting off all fronds and double/triple wrapping the trunk and up over the emerging spear. In a couple days we'll have a better idea what will happen.

-Michael

I wouldn't cut ANY fronds early!!! You are either "pre-wounding" the palm prior to a trauma, or taking away extra "insulation".

Good luck either way..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We bottomed out at 23* this morning here in Central Florida (Polk County). This reading was from my fence post gauge which is way out in our field/pasture area, away from the house and all trees. It is about 4 1/2 ft off of the ground. I keep it there because most all of my palms are out in the open along with it (about 2 1/2 acres). Heavy frost, grass is toast as well as many plants. I'm surrounded by heavily wooded areas and it always seems to be much colder out here. I can drive 2 miles up the road and my gauge in my car will go up by about 5 degrees on a cold morning. Anyone else on here seem to be in a "cold spot"?

I am in a cold spot as well, 28f this morning and i have one digital guage and 3 annalog ones and they all read whithin 1 degree of each other. I live in between Orlando and titusville in the country. Econ river basin 46ft above sea level.

I think i am going to plant more Mules at my place next year replacing the dead palms, that way i will not have to worry anymore.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

this cold has got me feeling the blues. I bottomed out at 23 last night under up sky in the front yard, bananas look like boiled spinach, we have a solid 3 months to go too! airport hit 21 officially

only protected two palms in ground but the container ranch in stuffed warmly in the greenhouse. greenhouse bottomed out at 42 degrees with a small heater!

they forcasting 13 now for monday night!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

this cold has got me feeling the blues. I bottomed out at 23 last night under up sky in the front yard, bananas look like boiled spinach, we have a solid 3 months to go too! airport hit 21 officially

only protected two palms in ground but the container ranch in stuffed warmly in the greenhouse. greenhouse bottomed out at 42 degrees with a small heater!

they forcasting 13 now for monday night!

13F??? That's crazy. Our coldest temp for the next week is 25F with every other night in the 30's.

Lows:

Wow, just read the extended forecast. Projected low temps for my town in Mid Palm Beach County is 28deg to 30deg for two days. I sure hope these are very conservative estimates, otherwise it will be time for more stuff to bite the dust. This is so crazy. Anyhow, I am officially changing my zone to 9a. :D

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

The extended forecast looks really depressing. 30*F predicted for Ft. Myers and Stuart Monday night, 24 for St. Augustine. Then, after a brief semi-warmup, another cold front the following Monday. Winds are out of the NW or N almost all the time, except briefly right before the next front. How long can this go on?

Wow, just read the extended forecast. Projected low temps for my town in Mid Palm Beach County is 28deg to 30deg for two days. I sure hope these are very conservative estimates, otherwise it will be time for more stuff to bite the dust. This is so crazy. Anyhow, I am officially changing my zone to 9a. :D

I hear you Ron,

If you're 9a,,, then i guess i'm a flat out zone 8b!! This is crazy for sure.

Impending doom!!

post-518-077692900 1291849521_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Just a couple of weeks ago they were bragging about how La Nina (sp???) would mean a dry, warm winter for Florida, then tonight, they said that it could mean a warmer or colder than normal winter! :rolleyes:

Zone 9 Central Florida

Just a couple of weeks ago they were bragging about how La Nina (sp???) would mean a dry, warm winter for Florida, then tonight, they said that it could mean a warmer or colder than normal winter! :rolleyes:

When it comes to long range forecasting I think I'll avoid modern forecasting and rely on the Farmers Almanac with its circa 1818 weather predictability model. :D Supposedly our winter is suppose to be "wet and very cold" for 2011. Nice! :(

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

33F here in New Port Richey, although my far back, open area has some damage on bananas and angel's trumpets, so that may have had frost and 32F. The rest of the yard has some type of over head protection, much of which is Queen Palms. No frost on the car in driveway, though at school it was 28F with heavy frost. The school I teach at is Hudson, 15 mi N and W, rural. Let's hope next week's freeze is not too bad. Everything will stay covered until then! It feel so like 2010's winter, and I'm still tired from that! :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Wow, you certainly are in a cold location Jay! Our nearest weather station reported 27 degrees in Ocala. Not bad if true.

-Krishna

They always over report these freezes particularly the first one --- I dont think I got below 28F here in Jax. Miserable but not bad as it got me moblized for all the covering drills

Best regards

Ed