IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 2010 thread

Trópico

Thunder and lightning or as a little girl I know who was scared of it 'chunder and frightening' :unsure: ,,, getting hot and sticky , so have moved my desk to right underneath a ceiling fan AHHH :winkie: reckon I can see the plants growing , :lol:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

36C here today, after a 20C min. Rain looks likely a few days in a row next week. Mins around 20C and max's in the mid twenties. Nice and humid.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here comes that rainy day feeling again.

Now who sang that song ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal it was the Fortunes way back in '71

think I will get it on a loop and play it all wet season here :winkie:

just read the wiki about them , and check this out ....They had a steady succession of singles, some of which were hits outside of the UK and US, culminating in 1972 with the release of "Storm in a Teacup".[2] During this period, they had another worldwide hit "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling" (1971).[2] The Fortunes were also the voices for the American Coca-Cola advertisements.[4] Their first recording in 1967 was a version of the theme tune, "Things Go Better With Coke", but they are most remembered for introducing the 1969 new slogan recording, used as the main theme for Coca-Cola on both radio and television commercials; "It's The Real Thing".

Think I will crack open a can of Coke in memory of a great band.

Looks like rain anyway ...

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Wal it was the Fortunes way back in '71

think I will get it on a loop and play it all wet season here :winkie:

just read the wiki about them , and check this out ....They had a steady succession of singles, some of which were hits outside of the UK and US, culminating in 1972 with the release of "Storm in a Teacup".[2] During this period, they had another worldwide hit "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling" (1971).[2] The Fortunes were also the voices for the American Coca-Cola advertisements.[4] Their first recording in 1967 was a version of the theme tune, "Things Go Better With Coke", but they are most remembered for introducing the 1969 new slogan recording, used as the main theme for Coca-Cola on both radio and television commercials; "It's The Real Thing".

Think I will crack open a can of Coke in memory of a great band.

Looks like rain anyway ...

I always liked the Fortunes. I think I first heard of them here in the U.S. when I was a High School Junior in 1965, their song, You got your troubles, I got mine. I didn't know they did Coca Cola commercials. I guess I was too occupied running the streets and imbibing in under age beer drinking.

On another note, you Aussies had a rock group, The Easybeats, around that time. I really liked their song, Friday on my mind (...gonna have fun in the city, be with my girl she's so pretty....).

Another Aussie group just before and during that time was The Seekers, with lead singer Judith Durham. What a great voice! I sure miss those days.

Mad about palms

Warm and humid here, with showery rain...garden is very soggy! Palms are growing like crazy!

There were some great Aussie bands around in the late sixties and early seventies Walt!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good Job NWS:

Overnight: Areas of dense fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Light south southwest wind.

Brooksville, Hernando County Airport

Lat: 28.47 Lon: -82.45 Elev: 75

Last Update on Dec 11, 11:53 pm EST

Fog

36 °F

(2 °C)

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

The monsoon has finally officially arrived. Crossed coast today. I still only got drizzly rain but was able to work all day outside in the garden. Maybe the convergence will ramp up later in the day. The maximum temp only got to 30.6C (87.1F). There were only 6 days in all of winter that had a maximum colder than that. Humidity never got below 80% all day. Only had to wear a shirt a few times for sun protection, apart from the times I was under tree canopy.

It was warm and very dry today as offshore winds prevail but a major shift in the weather pattern should set up later this week w/ rain for southern California; good news though the balmy temps will come to an end. In the meantime it will be back in the 80's tomorrow.

Hi: 82F\ 27.7C

Lo: 58F\ 14.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Jon- and how about the "sunnier conditions this weekend with high in the 60's to near 70?"..I never got past 60F Fri or Sat...just clouds, fog, overcast except for a quick break toward sunset! 50F at wake up today. Preparing for the worst this week hoping for better than predicted. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Check your forecast folks. Winds are out of due north at 30mph, with lows predicted tonight at 26 and tomorrow night at 27. This Arctic blast should be arriving in Florida tomorrow.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

whatever happens, happens. I figure if it made it last year, it probably will make it this year. Part of the fun is new plants anyway.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Interesting and eerie similarities to 1962 cold also apparently a cold event in 1934. Can you say every thirty (30) years.

Record !2/13 lows as follows:

Miami/1934/33F.

Ft.Laud/1934/29F.

WPB/1962/30F.

Naples/1962/27F.

Miami Beach/1962/36F.

St. Pete/1962/22F.

Record 12/14 lows as follows:

Miami/1962/35F.

Ft. Laud/1962/34F.

WPB/1962/33F.

Naples/1962/29F.

Miami Beach/1962/39F.

St. Pete/1962/32F.

My guess would be as close to the Keys as possible according to Christian's rules.I am guessing low 40'sF. somewhere.National Weather Service calls WPB (presumably PBI/cold hole)12/13=33F.and 12/14=36F.with moderation 12/15=48F.

What you look for is what is looking

Keith...you are spot on on what we are to expect for the next couple of nights....27 tonight and 25 tommorrow night with strong winds....and we still have Jan. and Feb. to go :(

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

1962 destroyed citrus in hillsborough county, lychees, too and the last remaing mango groves. Lychee and mango were never tried again commercially.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Predicted low Tues morning has fallen back to 32, Wed morning 33 with frost due to radiational cooling. Highs tomorrow will be mid-50s with periodic clouds and rain, then clearing in preparation for the freeze. Temps inland may fall into the 20s, which will wipe out vegetable farmers. NW winds are already battering the west side of the house. Guess I'll be bringing in pots and covering Arecas, etc. tomorrow.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Wow, I am so sorry to read the forecast for Florida and can only hope that wind and\ or clouds will modify the airmass. Unbelievable! :o Good luck to all.

I feel awkward reporting that temps exceeded 90F\ 32.2C in places in southern California today w/ 80's everywhere else. But this heat will come to an abrupt end my mid-week as a deep upper level trough descends south out of the Gulf of Alaska; rain could be plentiful by next weekend otherwise it will be chilly and cloudy.

Hi: 89F\ 31.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

32.2C in So Cal in winter!!!!!! We never get winter temps like that here. Someone's broke the weather machine.

There is a high likelihood of a cyclone forming tomorrow night or on Wed off the NW coast of Oz. Predicted path is SSE. We could get some rain. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here in Northwest Europe mother nature is going to show here cold side again this week and that would be our second frost period already and quite cold either. Temperatures from -6C/21F forecasted on wednesdaynight, brrr... The cold is going to reach into spain like Madrid! Looks also that the other side from souther europe gonna get his cold with freezing nights and snow in Greece 2 days ago and still going further... Weird winters the last 2-3 years over here as well, much much colder then we all got used before.

Robbin

Southwest

if the present prediction is true all coconuts other then barrier island and far south coconuts will probably be killed off, as well as a multitude of other species. NWS has Jupiter at 26f tonight, my guess is it has not been that cold since Christmas 89. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I'm amazed how much colder the Fl east coast forecasts are for this event. My expected low is in the 30-32 F range which after last year, is a joke and nothing I don't see every few years.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Tonight's predicted low has fallen to 31, Tuesday's to 32. Definitely will be in 20s inland, which means winter vegetables will become mush. Cheese-o-flip!

Meg

Florida

Yeah the temps have changed for the worse in many areas. I have gone from 34 to 29 to 31 to 32 to 29. Just cover your plants.......

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

The Florida Automated Weather Network (FAWN, which monitors mainly inland rural/agricultural areas) has recently added a new forecast feature.

I live about 8 miles from the Sebring FAWN weather station. Sebring FAWN is calling for a low of 24 degrees tomorrow morning and 22 degrees Wednesday morning! 22 degrees will tie my all-time low. But if Sebring FAWN sees 22 I will probably be in the upper teens. Archbold Biological Station may well set a new all-time low record. ABS has already seen 18 and 19 degree lows last Monday and Tuesday.

The Ft. Lauderdale FAWN is calling for a low of 32 degrees tomorrow morning, Homestead 30, Ft. Pierce 28, the list goes!

Click on the below link to the FAWN website.

Then click on one of the weather stations (placing cursor over the temperature readings and it will identify that particular location, such as Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Pierce, etc).

When the graphic comes up showing a typical weather station tower, click on where is says New! Graphic Forecast Date For (that particular station).

Then you will see a line graph showing the predicted temperatures over the next few days. If, like I am, you are in proximity to these stations -- read it and weep!

http://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/s

Mad about palms

Weather Underground has tomorrow's low at 29, Wednesday 31. I'm starting to weep already.

Meg

Florida

Seriously?? Seriously?? Seriously?? Seriously??

[the continuous loop in my head as I read the forecasts]

Time to break out the smudgepots, if not for the wind

Eric, I used home made versions of smudgepots last year and they seemed to keep the temps up enough to avoid a total wipeout. We took every lantern and tiki torch we could get our hands on and put them in cinderblocks for stability, then built little brick chimneys around them so that the flames couldn't escape with the wind and the chimneys could radiate the heat outward rather than just losing it to the sky. We spent the few nice hours we had yesterday getting them all fueled up and ready for this event. It's dirty and the fuel gets expensive, but worth it IMO.

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Weather Underground has tomorrow's low at 29, Wednesday 31. I'm starting to weep already.

Same boat here Meg.

I just checked weatherunderground, weather channel and NWS and see the following for the next two nights for 34689---

weatherunderground - 29/29

weather channel - 29/30

NWS - 33/34

All of these forecasters are showing a very strong NW wind. So, I can only imagine how cold this air is if such a wicked NW wind (which has to blow right over the water) can drops temps like this.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Theres hardly any green on the above plots, and way too much blue!

Looks like the place to hang out if one cant get to Key West, is a raft in the middle of Lake Okeechobee.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hard Freeze warning for everybody in Florida except for Pinellas, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Dade, and Broward counties. For the counties that I have listed, they get freeze warnings.

Brevard County, Fl

This winter in North America is certainly shaping up to be an interesting one. I was talking to my parents in Montana and they are currenly being spared the bitter cold, but the snowfall in the mountains is at record levels. Which of course is good fro the skiing and the forest. Here in South America it is now moving into full fledged summer. And, also on the southern side of the equator the rainy seaon or our winter season. Here are the forecast lows for the Brazil today.

brazildec13.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Oh my. Hang in there guys. I hope it's not as bad as they've forcasted. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)