IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Very cold air mass this week in SoCal

KMartin

More interesting observations...My backyard sensor, traditionally 2F colder than the front has weeds and is saturated from the last rains as it is a low spot also. The front yard is drier and no weeds and next to the street . Shows last night that the front hit 33f and the back was at 36F. Gives creedence to my supposition that as the surface/ground water evaporates to dry, it warms the surrounding a bit... only works for a night or two though... we'll see the difference tonight.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

39F out in the open, 41F under the Jacaranda. Coldest night yet, this Winter. My 3 year low is only 38F, so this is pretty much as cold as it gets man! :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

This was the coldest night so far in the cold pocket in Santa Barbara. 28 on the patio and 31 under the orange tree. So far we have had 4 days this month where night time temperatures have dipped below freezing. We normally don't get this cold until mid December if we even get this cold. I certainly hope this is not a precursor for what will happen later on in the winter.

by san diego state

light frost on the grass this morning in my back yard at 7:00 AM

no frost noted on the palms

hard frost (solid ice) from a puddle of water that was sitting on a plastic barbecue cover.

Edited by trioderob

39F out in the open, 41F under the Jacaranda. Coldest night yet, this Winter. My 3 year low is only 38F, so this is pretty much as cold as it gets man! :(

MattyB,

It's not this winter, it's this fall. Winter is still three weeks away.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Crap! Just walked around the backyard and noticed fronds damaged on my P. hillebrandii, Hyophorbe indica "red form", D. ambositrae, D. leptocheilos, and D. lanceolata. I hope that's all. The cold damage will show up more in a few weeks. I don't think it was cold enough to ultimately kill (knock on wood) my palms but it still sucks. All this cold damage and I live only three and a half miles from the coast. This is the first time I have had cold damage since 2007.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Very strong winds made it very uncomfortable but elevated minimums across metro Los Angeles\ Orange counties this morning. Couldn't find any sub-freezing temps w/ most stations from mid 30's to near 50F\ 10C. Looks like the same situation for metro San Diego w/ notable exceptions [Rancho San Pasqual, Oceanside]. Inland\ interior valleys that did not experience wind observed below freezing readings [including parts of the Santa Clarita, Ojai, Pomona, San Bernardino, Coachella valleys]. Tonight should be a repeat since skies are completely clear and dew point temps are well below 30F and even below 0 in some places with extremely low relative humidity. Should warm up for the rest of the week followed by another weak storm by the coming weekend.

The weather models continue to show warming across the West Coast but so far that has not occurred. November started out very warm\ hot and is ending very cold. Hope this pattern breaks soon.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I forgot to mention that I had ice on my windshield three mornings in a row now. I don't understand how that can be when the temps did not reach 32F. I believe my low was 37F this past weekend.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I forgot to mention that I had ice on my windshield three mornings in a row now. I don't understand how that can be when the temps did not reach 32F. I believe my low was 37F this past weekend.

I think it is because metal and glass conduct heat in very different way

try this:

put a flame under a pot of water- how long till it boils ?

put a flame under a block of iron how long till its very hot ?

how long till they cool down ?

Edited by trioderob

Here its very cold in some places! Arround -10 C so 15F. Its time your folks are gonna get some proper winter as well. A bit of real snow and ice for skating...

Alexander

by san diego state

light frost on the grass this morning in my back yard at 7:00 AM

no frost noted on the palms

hard frost (solid ice) from a puddle of water that was sitting on a plastic barbecue cover.

I live on a south-facing slope about a mile from SDSU...my temp was in the low 40's last night. Do you live in or near a canyon?

Saturday morning, 42F out in the open, 44F under the Jacaranda.

The Hyophorbe vershafeltii look like crap already. I was hoping they'd gain some cold tolerance now that it's been 3 years in the ground, but low 40's really yellow them up and put spots all over the leaves. They look like trash. Since I see low 40's quite often over the Winter, and since they're planted right at my entryway, I'm thinking of replacing them with something that will look better throughout the year. :huh:

Your Hyophorbe verschaffeltii palms are impressive specimens...from what I remember from your postings. Can you cover them up to prevent more cold damage?

Again this morning, 40F out in the open, 43F under the Jacaranda.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It was 37° at 11pm, 2° colder than any previous night. I got up at 4am to let the dog out and it was 34°. Somewhere between 4 and 6am it hit 33°, and was 35° by 6:30am.

Just glad this one is about over, and that none of my palms spent any time below freezing this past week.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

We are also getting zapped with cold weather albeit no frost here yet. Yesterday morning I took the kids to school and it was 4ºc at 9:00 and it was pouring rain. That's the first time I´ve seen that. It is supposed to get worse in the next couple of days. At least nothing has been burnt, even the nanas are looking great. This would be normal weather for January except the cold and rain part. We usually get either one or the other.

Cheers Jason

Edited by Jason Baker Portugal

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

36.1 for this morning's low. I didn't see any frost until I drove down into the canyon on the way to work, much colder in the canyon bottom.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

After looking at the weather channel's predition of 30 for Oceanside for several days and missing KUSI's John, I got paranoid and brought in some stuff.. It was 40 when I looked at 630am

post-27-087929700 1291133612_thumb.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

After looking at the weather channel's predition of 30 for Oceanside for several days and missing KUSI's John, I got paranoid and brought in some stuff.. It was 40 when I looked at 630am

post-27-087929700 1291133612_thumb.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

I've had 30 palms in the garage since Thanksgiving and can't wait to get them back outside again... tomorrow.

(My greenhouse is only 1-2° warmer than "outside" when it gets cold.)

I had major frost in my backyard.

not on the palms but covering 50% of the grass in my backyard.

water in hose on ground frozen solid.

all happened around 5:30 am

my backyard was WHITE !

F#$* i hope nothing died.

:(

added: ok this is weird - just checked the internet weather reports and they are

claiming low 40s - no way at my house. maybe because I am on a very steep hill ???

Edited by trioderob

Basically uneventful in hills with minimums mostly in the 40's though wind conditions kept temps above 50F\ 10C in some areas like Malibu. I drove down the road into the canyon this morning at 7am & noticed the car thermometer went from 46F\ 7.7C to 38F\ 3.3C illustrating pockets of cold air. Our terrain in southern California makes it extremely difficult for meteorologists to pin-point minimums.

Warmer for a few days and finally maximums above 70F\ 21.1C but then another north Pacific storm should move ashore by Monday with cooler day temps but warmer nights.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

After looking at the weather channel's predition of 30 for Oceanside for several days and missing KUSI's John, I got paranoid and brought in some stuff..

Bill, you can always catch Coleman's latest telecast here. It's in the top right hand corner.

I've been scraping windshields for a week, I'm glad I haven't spent a bunch of money on palms that are doomed at my place, yet.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

So am I the only one with cold damage? I live only three and a half miles from the coast and I obviously had frost in the backyard. I will post pix this weekend.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

No temp below 40F for me in the last week since this cold event happened. Though, 3 miles away, in a low cold pocket golf course, there was frost every morning. No damage but I guess the growth for the year (as little as there was) is over for now.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The first two weeks of Nov. in N. Calif were beautiful with daytime highs in the 70's and 80's. On Nov 15th the weather changed and it's been below normal ever since. I've had white frost for the past week with lows of 29F to 32F. Nothing really bad yet, but the daytime highs have only been in the 50's. Looks like very cold temps. with snow in Europe.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Looks like minimums here will be in the mid 40s through mid December according to Accuweather. They were the most accurate the last several weeks. The cold air mass affecting CA is moving out finally. My bananas are still nice and green and no damage on anything else. My yellow plumeria still have a few flowers on them!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

36F yesterday, and 39F today. The wind was whistling most of the night which is good. My bananas are a color hard to describe, halfway between green and brown.

41F this morning....still too cold for my liking..especially after a week of this...

Your not the only one Mike. I had some damage. I expect some though every winter just not in November. Very disheartening.

San Marcos CA

50F for me this morning. That was nice.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice recovery pretty much everywhere over the past few mornings though Woodland Hills recorded 36F\ 2.2C; elsewhere 40's\ 50's with some windy stations near 60F\ 15.5C. Days in 70's or higher [Riverside 82F\ 27.7 yesterday] for another day or two before a storm makes landfall sometime late this weekend; next week looks unsettled with possible rain and likely mild minimums.

Low: 56F\ 13.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

If you live in a climate where you can grow Jacarandas you have no reason to complain about winter! I wished we could grow them here as they are so beautifull! I have seen them ones in flower in Mexico in Februari. With the sun it cures every winterblues!

Greetings from the miserable frozen wastelands of the north!

Alexander