IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Very cold air mass this week in SoCal

KMartin

Looks like we dodged the bullet this morning with nearly all stations reporting minimums above 40F and only Corona registered a low below freezing at 31F. The wind helped to warm the air. Tonight could very well be colder, especially in the calm areas due to very low dew points [below 0F in some areas] and clear skies. I think we will be able to relax after Friday morning as a weak storm moves into California.

Nonetheless, minimums this cold in November are very unusual and makes me wonder what we may be encountering this winter! :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

40F at 10pm. The garage is full and the greenhouse/shadehouse empty.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Up bright and early at 3:00 when it was 36° with a one degree drop-off now at 4:00. I expect 33° will be my low around 6:00. No biggy.

Edited by Gonzer

I am new at this. I bought a high/low mercury thermometer and I am not sure how close it is. What dose everyone else use? Looks like some have some high tech stuff. 34F @ 0630, 38F @ 0750, frost on the roof and lawn today (only on roof yesterday). The local weather station a couple miles away gave a low of 31F.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Low of 32.5°. 37.4° at 8am with frost on the lawn.

Odd bounce Gonzer. I slept through the details.

37F at 6am, 42.8 now. I slept in between....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I am new at this. I bought a high/low mercury thermometer and I am not sure how close it is. What dose everyone else use? Looks like some have some high tech stuff. 34F @ 0630, 38F @ 0750, frost on the roof and lawn today (only on roof yesterday). The local weather station a couple miles away gave a low of 31F.

Hi Nick,

i think most people have those little remote sensors that report back to a station that you can read inside your house. I have three stations, 1 greenhouse, 2, under canopy, 3 out in the open. I've seen some peoples who have it hooked up to their computer and it logs the trends in line graphs by the hour. Pretty cool.

Lows this morning: 40F out in the open, 44F under the Jacaranda.

Funny, yesterday was 40 and 42 respectively. The humidity was lower last night so the "out in the open" sensor always reads colder when we have a very dry atmosphere.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I don't know how cold it was here but I noticed some cold damage on my Pritchardia hillebrandii and ALL the leaves on eight potted plumeria. I hope that's it until spring. CRAP!

Edited by Surf Guy

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

This morning was colder overall and dropped to near freezing or below in many areas that historically are prone to frost. Otherwise it is cold but mostly in the upper 30's & 40's again over most areas. Tonight could be another cold one since the wind is expected to die down.

Low: 44F\ 6.6C.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm happy to say that it stayed above freezing both nights here but came close. I was ready to cover heliconias, gingers, etc. but didn't have to. Rain returns Saturday here and no freezing temps. are forecast through at least Dec. 10. :)

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I came across some frost on some flattened native grass at the top of the hill. I've seen frost in the bottom of the canyon, but never at the top of the hill. It was only on the grass that had been flattened by footprints or cayote tracks. That dry air really made for some radiative freezing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No problems up here in the Hills. We were between 44 and 46°F. No spotting. New stuff is fine. Ti plants love the temp swing and have great colors. Still have plumeria and hibiscus blossoms.

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

That's a good aspect of bananas...they're the first plants to show frost damage. I keep the burned leaves on so as to protect whatever's underneath. Luckily no scorch on anything. Watching the digital temp receiver inside the house can be an excruciating experience.

No problems up here in the Hills. We were between 44 and 46°F. No spotting. New stuff is fine. Ti plants love the temp swing and have great colors. Still have plumeria and hibiscus blossoms.

Good news David. Your hill rocks!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here in the great cold sink of San Diego, I have blackened Heliconia, burned bananas, spotted Veitchias, Chambeyronias, Pritchardias & a Heterospathe glauca. I could get depressed, but I've been at it long enough that I just shrug my shoulders. It's Winter. Unfortunately earlier than normal, who can I complain to? I'm just afraid that cold Summers begat cold Winters. That would s__k.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Here in the great cold sink of San Diego, I have blackened Heliconia, burned bananas, spotted Veitchias, Chambeyronias, Pritchardias & a Heterospathe glauca. I could get depressed, but I've been at it long enough that I just shrug my shoulders. It's Winter. Unfortunately earlier than normal, who can I complain to? I'm just afraid that cold Summers begat cold Winters. That would s__k.

Bret

i have also adopted the shoulder shrug Bret, especially for the cold tender palms in the ground....tired of the worrisome nights and early mornings. as far as the potted plants go, i put the heater on in the greenhouse out back and hope for the best! :)

i'll just rip out the dead ones and plant more in the spring should the worst happen.

most of my bannas, canna, and plumerias burned. I guess time will tell with my palms.

nkbish:

the plumerias will not make it out in the open like that....for them to have a chance at all, they need to be planted close to the house ( to be able to take advantage of the radiant heat your home provides) and / or under canopy.

no matter where they are planted, they usually lose all their leaves in the winter, with very few exceptions.

Saturday morning, 42F out in the open, 44F under the Jacaranda.

The Hyophorbe vershafeltii look like crap already. I was hoping they'd gain some cold tolerance now that it's been 3 years in the ground, but low 40's really yellow them up and put spots all over the leaves. They look like trash. Since I see low 40's quite often over the Winter, and since they're planted right at my entryway, I'm thinking of replacing them with something that will look better throughout the year. :huh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

wonder what late January will be like this coming year? :mrlooney:

kentias got blasted by the sun at the beginning of the month, then cold blasted last night.....

The Hyophorbe vershafeltii look like crap already. I was hoping they'd gain some cold tolerance now that it's been 3 years in the ground, but low 40's really yellow them up and put spots all over the leaves. They look like trash. Since I see low 40's quite often over the Winter, and since they're planted right at my entryway, I'm thinking of replacing them with something that will look better throughout the year. :huh:

like queen palms matty? :D

This morning was very bad for some areas and almost warm for others. Record lows were observed in Ramona [27F\ -2.7C] and Ontario [38F\ 3.3C]. Looks like Corona & March Air Force Base dropped well into the 20's & Woodland Hills was 28F\ -2.2. On the other hand several foothill stations barely went below 50F\ 10C even though there wasn't much wind.

A weak storm moving over the state today\ tonight will eliminate any frost concerns but some very cold nights may occur once again Monday & Tuesday. :unsure:

Minimum: 49F\ 9.4C San Rafael Hills\ Los Angeles

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This morning I "only" hit 32.9F. The forecast was for 36-37F, but last night was tracking with the previous night, same time, same temp. I let Kenai out to do business at 3am and the sensor said 34F.

Matty - You can imagine what my spindle looks like this year. It's last 3 fronds look like something you'd put on a salad. It stays in a pot, and I might make it an ornamental indoor palm.

Happ - Oceanside Airport was 28F this morning.

I was looking around this morning and I may have some damage on my Hedyscepe. We'll see......

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I just got back from an early morning photo shoot in Rancho San Diego/El Cajon. There was widespread frost on tall shrubbery, fences, roofs, cars, and all grass.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Well I posted my info on the wrong thread first. Frost on the lawn for the second morning in a row. Low of 36F. So far all my palms do not seem to have any damage, with exception of my Kentias. I think most of it was from the blasting heat a few weeks back. Yesterday I got to tour a garden in my local area and found some perfect Kentias, I hope mine will adjust and some day look good. Matty thanks for the info I will have to put it on my wish list. Tropicalb I am a new home owner and just starting to learn about this stuff so thanks for the pointers on the plumerias. I did find it interesting there was not any problems with my single Heliconia, but canna and bannas got fried.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Anyone know what to do with the plumeria? Should I pull the frost bitten leaves or leave them on?

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I'd replace them too Matty, maybe Howeas, once they acclimatise full sun, they'll behave better than spindles.

Anyone know what to do with the plumeria? Should I pull the frost bitten leaves or leave them on?

They'll fall off anyway, same diff, pull him if you want.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

No concerns this morning thanks to the rain but the air behind the storm is very cold and minimums could drop to near freezing once again in the frost-prone areas on Monday & Tuesday. Wind will be factor in elevating minimums across much of southern California. NWS forecasts chilly weather with some warming into the week and has not issued frost advisories but, as we know, that does not mean that all areas will be frost-free.

Interesting comparison of geographic diversity is illustrated in Saturday's minimums. Within the city of Los Angeles [less than 10 miles apart] yesterday's minimums ranged from 29F\ -1.6C in Woodland Hills [a low-lying calm area in the San Fernando Valley] to 50F\ 10C at the Getty Center [a hilltop overlooking the Pacific Ocean in West LA]. "Location, location" B)

Sunday minimum: 46F\ 7.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This morning was very bad for some areas and almost warm for others. Record lows were observed in Ramona [27F\ -2.7C] and Ontario [38F\ 3.3C]. Looks like Corona & March Air Force Base dropped well into the 20's & Woodland Hills was 28F\ -2.2. On the other hand several foothill stations barely went below 50F\ 10C even though there wasn't much wind.

A weak storm moving over the state today\ tonight will eliminate any frost concerns but some very cold nights may occur once again Monday & Tuesday. :unsure:

Happ,

Yesterday here in west corona it got down to 40f. at my house at 6:00 am.

I don't know where they came up with the 20's

I had very light frost on the neighbors roof is all.

Randy

test

Happ,

Yesterday here in west corona it got down to 40f. at my house at 6:00 am.

I don't know where they came up with the 20's

I had very light frost on the neighbors roof is all.

Randy

The official temperature that the NWS uses is taken from Corona airport which, I believe, is in a low basin where cold air gets trapped. Corona, like many cities in southern California has hills and valleys\ canyons

that provide a multitude of micro-climates. That is why the weather services have such difficulty adequately pin-pointing minimum temperatures and hesitate to call for advisories unless the majority of an area is likely to experience frost.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Mike, leave the leaves on to serve as a shield against freeze/frost if you have anything planted beneath them. Otherwise heed Wal's advice.

I've put out advisories for frost once again fora large area of Southern California pending of course wind sheltered areas. Monday and Tuesday are as cold to equal to last weeks temperatures behind a similar front. I'm in a low area so this is affecting me.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-los-angeles/santa-ana-winds-and-cold-nights-through-tuesday

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Interesting to hear thet March ARB reported mid 20's. I live about 5 minutes from there and while my weather station took a dump, I checked in the morning and saw no frost, no damage to banana or colocasia leaves... usually anything below 29 will cause damage.....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Tonight is an exact replay of Thursday and Friday night. Tomorrow night is the one to really watch.

32.4F