IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Storm for California

happ

A deep trough of Arctic air is pushing southward down the West Coast this weekend. Showers & mountain snowfall is forecast. The air mass is quite cold and would be considered chilly even for January with snow levels dropping to 5000 ft or lower in southern California and down to 2500' in northern California. In-fact snowfall could be observed near sea level in the Pacific Northwest. With such a cold system moving into California there must be concern about minimum temperatures once the storm shifts east early next week and nights clear. Frost has to be a real possibility in the usual calm low-lying regions of the interior valleys, desert and coastal areas of northern San Diego county.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Damm ...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bring the rain, bring the cold, I'll pass on the wind. I always suspet that a lot of my palms are relieved to see the cool Winter come: "Alas, some water!!!!!!, ahhhhhhhh!!!!!"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bring the rain, bring the cold, I'll pass on the wind. I always suspet that a lot of my palms are relieved to see the cool Winter come: "Alas, some water!!!!!!, ahhhhhhhh!!!!!"

I'm with you, Matty on the rainfall and hope we continue to get in on every storm out in the north Pacific. But what follows, once the skies clear, is the concern. There should be several nights in the 30's for the usual "cold spots" [Corona, Temecula, Oceanside, etc.] until it begins to warm up again around Thanksgiving Day. The NWS is not predicting anything below freezing just yet but they tend to be conservative in medium-range forecasts. Plus the models are showing a pretty nice warm up mid-week.

Right now, my palms are still in the growing phase and the unusual rainfall during October has turned the hillsides prematurely green by 2 months. But a prolonged period of minimums in the 40's along with wet soil would put a halt to palm growth.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

AccuWeather shows my overnight lows Wednesday and Thursday as 37 and 36F. Ugh.

My lows for the past two winters has been 34F and 35F, and I was hoping it was a trend.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

No concern if you live anywhere near the coast. But, good news about the rain.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

except Oceanside... :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Or Matt in SD. I think he now has "bragging rights".

Accuweather is never accurate for my area (same goes for NOAA). Both are predicting 31-34F for tuesday night in my area. Local meteorologists say 41F. It better not freeze in November! I haven't even begun to winterize some of my palms with christmas lights :(

Adam 

Yes, or Oceanside. :rolleyes:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The second of 3 storms moved thru California today but the last storm looks too weak to produce much if any rainfall south of Pt Conception tomorrow. The cold trough, however, should sit over the entire Western U.S. for several more days. National Weather Service is predicting minimum above 40F\ 4.4C in all areas except mid-upper 30's in the usual cold spots. So frost looks unlikely in southern California except the highest valleys and, of-course the mountains where snow levels were down to 5000'.

I recorded almost one inch\ 25.4mm of rainfall at my place.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Its looking Like I'll stay in the low 40's I hope..

Good luck guys.

And Paul, you have me rolling on the floor with the 'pass wind' comment.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Brr.

Nice fire in the fireplace, cats on lap, liquid in hand, bring it on!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just stay tuned to SCWXA at http://www.SouthernCaliforniaWeatherAuthority.com ... e-mailed custom micro-climate weather alerts and storm updates ...

We do have a cold night as per the SCWXA Frost Advisory issued earlier this evening and then even colder air by Thursday morning under a cold santa ana wind ... wouldn't be a bit surprised if I issued a wind chill warning for the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys, possibly below the Cajon Pass should these arctic like north winds develop and rush down the pass and canyon zones -

Never-the-less ... this front will make for very cold temperatures for November standards ... La Nina is in full force!

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

The second of 3 storms moved thru California today but the last storm looks too weak to produce much if any rainfall south of Pt Conception tomorrow. The cold trough, however, should sit over the entire Western U.S. for several more days. National Weather Service is predicting minimum above 40F\ 4.4C in all areas except mid-upper 30's in the usual cold spots. So frost looks unlikely in southern California except the highest valleys and, of-course the mountains where snow levels were down to 5000'.

NWS never gets it right for lows during these setups. One must calculate temperatures by themselves using the dewpoint as well for a reference to how fast they'll drop ... hence why NWS' graphical would bust Monday morning's temperatures even in the Inland Empire with a low of 41 projected and in reality we will be well into the mid 30s hence my Frost Advisory for growers in this region at the SCWXA

--------------------

I got 1.5" over the weekend. The creek is flowing and the palms are happy. The gophers are active too! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

it was pretty frosty last night since the cloud cover was not complete,i could see my breath for the 1st time this year.

it was a beautiful night with the moon on the clouds,though.

wow,that wasnt very scientific. :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Especially since you used the word "frosty" when you actually should have said "condensationy" :blink:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It was 42F outside at 11pm at my place last night. It never got any lower. I'm bracing for Thursday morning as my forecast has dropped from 36F to 33F.

Especially since you used the word "frosty" when you actually should have said "condensationy" :blink:

You two really should get married.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

NWS never gets it right for lows during these setups. One must calculate temperatures by themselves using the dewpoint as well for a reference to how fast they'll drop ... hence why NWS' graphical would bust Monday morning's temperatures even in the Inland Empire with a low of 41 projected and in reality we will be well into the mid 30s hence my Frost Advisory for growers in this region at the SCWXA

I tend to agree. NWS was way off on this morning's minimums and sheepishly readjusted projections for tonight into the holiday when bombarded with emails from members of the American Meteorological Society. For example it bottomed out at 33F\ 0.5C at Pierce College this morning and minimums below freezing are possible in several low-lying areas well into the week. NWS are still forecasting above freezing temps for most regions but 30's should be fairly widespread.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

why does oceanside get so cold on the coast ?

or are we talking 7 miles inland ?

I think its as much mountain "drainage" as anything else. Sanluis river valley goes WAY BACK.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/41962/freeze-coming-to-california-or-1.asp

Accuweather is calling for a serious hit to the citrus industry in the San Joaquin Valley; this air mass is dangerously close to Southern Californi :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

From yesterday -

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-los-angeles/abnormal-freezing-temperatures-set-to-hit-southern-california

The Southern California Weather Authority is predicting the arctic air mass responsible for the snow in the Pacific Northwest lowlands to make for dangerous conditions in the mountain, desert, and some valley locations of Southern California.

A Freeze Watch has been issued by the Southern California Weather Authority for the area, including a dangerous wind chill warning from a Santa Ana Wind Pattern.

--------------------

Am I misinformed or is it unusual for areas of CA outside the mountains to get so cold so early (Nov 22-23)? I mean, 33 degrees, maybe colder? What does that portend?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, I think they're refering to cold, far inland valley areas like Temecula, San Fernando, etc. In the city, even inland areas, 10 to 20 miles inland I don't see any sites forcasting any lower than 39F or 40F for only one night.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Meg, I think they're refering to cold, far inland valley areas like Temecula, San Fernando, etc. In the city, even inland areas, 10 to 20 miles inland I don't see any sites forcasting any lower than 39F or 40F for only one night.

San Diego County Valley and Northern Coasts will be in the 30s, regardless ... a frost advisory criteria is likely -

On top of this ... I will be putting out a Wind Chill Warning for the Santa Ana Wind prone zones for Thursday morning as this is a very cold air mass and combined with the santa ana winds ... wind chills in some valley locations of LA and the Inland Empire would be in the teens.

--------------------

weather.com has me at 34F Friday morning...

post-662-048979800 1290541978_thumb.jpg

Poop.

There's only one way to stay warm on nights like these: Human Centipede

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"