IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red Palm weevils found in Laguna Beach, CA

Tom S

Any thoughts on this one?

Bill, in the other thread you said, "Brown leaves on the bottom half.. ."

That would lead me to think Fusarium rather than RPW.

Can you get a better look at the crown and emerging fronds?

I've watched a lot of CIDP's die - at least 300 in two years. Yellow leaves - sometimes. But dead ones - no way. RPW takes out the crown far before the yellow leaves get a chance to turn dead.

Ron has the right idea - CIDP's looking like those within the immidiate area of the original two should be monitored coninuasly for a period of time and dealt with promptly.

Our initial infection was quite localized and was not difficult for a palm enthusiast to spot. I knew somthing was killing about 30 CIDP's in one square mile a full year before I even heard about RPW. Really wish they hit those ones hard and we wouldn't be in our current situation.

Regards

Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

You guys are doing a good job keeping your eyes open for signs of a problem. The attack The attack from weevils on my CIDP (Sept 2008) was noticed early on with new growth showing a slight lean. I removed all the affected leaves and started my treatment method.

• Upvote 1

Any thoughts on this one?

Bill, in the other thread you said, "Brown leaves on the bottom half.. ."

That would lead me to think Fusarium rather than RPW.

Can you get a better look at the crown and emerging fronds?

Sadly its in a back yard, 150' from the closest street and probably 30' trunk. That shot was zoomed in a bit.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good morning

I am presently in East Africa for an expertise on date palm culture development but I try to follow the exchanges on Palmtalk. I am very pleased to see the active mobilization for early detection. That is exactly what must be done, intensified and maintained for several months to stop the pest dispersal and succeed its eradication.

Congratulation to Ron and others for encouraging this fundamental activity.

Public meeting and training should be organized as soon as possible to mobilize as many people as possible on early detection and immediate sanitation.

Regards.

Michel

• Upvote 1

guys if you go to this thread ( http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=26052 )you will find my previous pictures... I'm not sure if its the mot or the weevil attacking my palms

today i poked in a hole that i discovered after pruning my palms and that's what i found inside ... (it was dead as you can see ... after a almost 2 months of soaking my palms with the following chemicals (i dont like chemicals but i really didnt want to see my palms die)

chemicals used (dosages for 5 liters)

chloropyrofos 20ml

xellona 50ml

warrant 10ml

actellic 10ml

do you guys know if this is a red palm weevil or Paysandisia archon ?

post-5120-095934300 1290420076_thumb.jpg

post-5120-051963300 1290420156_thumb.jpg

post-5120-045587300 1290420218_thumb.jpg

post-5120-099384600 1290420285_thumb.jpg

post-5120-009272100 1290420378_thumb.jpg

post-5120-009798300 1290420446_thumb.jpg

post-5120-078730400 1290420509_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

From Italy look at this old jubaea attacked by RPW:

5194173525_09b14c2926_b.jpg

EGAD, exactly what I wa afraid of!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It seems where the winter will not kill those palms those little devils way!

You do not want that bloody weevil running wild in the NewWorld with its rich palm diversity!

Alexander

Which other palms were used as host by the RPW? I read that the queen and african oil palm are pottential hosts....Both are cocosoids...Is there in Europe any Jubaea infected with RPW?:unsure:

:blink::( :( :huh:

That´s why i asked ....................

That´s not good!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

for the mediterranean region palms, it is Butia, Brahea, Jubaea, Washingtonia, Caryota and also Chamaerops and of course the date palm and other Phoenix species that are reported to have been killed. Trachycarpus too.

Tomas

i was somewhat tranquilized by Tomas..................but now.........:(

Imagine a palm that takes forever to grow killed in a few months....................:rage:and if it will arrive in Chile..............................

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Alberto,

for the mediterranean region palms, it is Butia, Brahea, Jubaea, Washingtonia, Caryota and also Chamaerops and of course the date palm and other Phoenix species that are reported to have been killed. Trachycarpus too.

Tomas

Imagine a palm that takes forever to grow killed in a few months....................:rage:and if it will arrive in Chile..............................

Alberto,

how could I tranquilize you? The Jubaea was listed there.

Tomas

I spotted a very suspicious looking CIDP in San Clemente this afternoon.

This is the palm that first caught my attention. Notice the dropping crown of leaves on the plant on the left and the lack of new emerging leaves. Looks similar to RPW symptoms and a bit like the second infested Laguna Beach palm, though not as advanced:

post-5063-023246000 1290147267_thumb.jpg

Here's a closer view of the crown of the same tree:

post-5063-018177700 1290146847_thumb.jpg

Here's the same tree looking up the trunk to the crown. No, I did not see any pupal casings or damage to the trunk:

post-5063-050919900 1290147743_thumb.jpg

If I magnify the last picture I can see what MIGHT be feeding damage at the base of one of the leaves:

post-5063-072683200 1290147727_thumb.jpg

There are many, many CIDP's in the immediate area, at various ages and stages of health. Here is one directly across the street with a pretty severe case of fusarium:post-5063-095676400 1290146795_thumb.jpg

A hundred feet in the other direction is this palm. The crown looks a little odd, but maybe I'm just seeing things:

post-5063-019011900 1290146809_thumb.jpg

If I magnify the same photo, it looks like a couple of the new emerging leaves might be distressed. Hard to tell:

post-5063-073273000 1290146821_thumb.jpg

Here's another palm, a few more feet away. Is the crown ok?

post-5063-066588800 1290148276_thumb.jpg

Magnified, it also looks like there could be some distress of the new leaves:

post-5063-049883000 1290146831_thumb.jpg

I reported these plants this afternoon to the county entomologist and a couple of UC people working on the issue. Nick Nisson, our emtomologist has already responded to me and said he would have them checked out.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but better to be safe.

Ron

Ron,

the double palm looks 90% positive on the RPW for me. Let us know the result.

This also shows some signs, also look at the new chewed leaves coming out damaged and a piece of a dead spear attached to the leaf.

post-738-062866300 1290538082_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alberto,

Tomas

Alberto,

how could I tranquilize you? The Jubaea was listed there.

Tomas

Sorry for the slip...but I didn´t read ´´Jubaea´´ (Freud can explain...:mrlooney::))

I think I didn´t want to read this........:(

A co-worker of mine just showed me this image of a CIDP in Huntington Beach, about 13 miles NW of the Laguna Beach palms. I haven't seen it myself yet, but I'm going to stop by tomorrow morning.

It certainly looks suspicious to me. I just reported it to the county entomologist and a couple of UC researchers.

Here's the image of the tree taken yesterday:

post-5063-005348700 1290547598_thumb.jpg

Here's the same palm in an undated Google Earth streetview image. The palm looks healthy here:

post-5063-013486700 1290547594_thumb.jpg

Here are two an aerial images from GoogleEarth dated November 15, 2009.

post-5063-092484400 1290547605_thumb.jpg post-5063-077056800 1290547589_thumb.jpg

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Ron

• Upvote 1

A co-worker of mine just showed me this image of a CIDP in Huntington Beach, about 13 miles NW of the Laguna Beach palms. I haven't seen it myself yet, but I'm going to stop by tomorrow morning.

It certainly looks suspicious to me. I just reported it to the county entomologist and a couple of UC researchers.

Here's the same palm in an undated Google Earth streetview image. The palm looks healthy here:

post-5063-013486700 1290547594_thumb.jpg

Here are two an aerial images from GoogleEarth dated November 15, 2009.

post-5063-092484400 1290547605_thumb.jpg post-5063-077056800 1290547589_thumb.jpg

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Ron

We all do! :(

Let us know what you find . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

yes red palm 100% :(

GIUSEPPE

Here are some pictures of the same Phoenix canariensis in Huntington Beach. I took these early this morning. This palm is growing in a backyard on private property and somewhat under some powerlines/utility poles. The fronds have clearly been trimmed at the tips some time back, so they would not interfere with the lines. I suspect that this pruning practice might actually be an encouragement to RPW.

I am not seeing much new growth, but I don't see any leaning of the crown or any feeding damage either. From what I have read, it would seem like a crown inspection is needed, with an inspection window cut. I wonder what technique CDFA will use to make a determination on a palm like this. I would think that a ground inspection would be insufficient.

Here is the palm from two different angles:

post-5063-059821000 1290615278_thumb.jpg post-5063-047346200 1290615284_thumb.jpg

Looking up the trunk:

post-5063-013703300 1290615267_thumb.jpg

Closer view up the trunk, toward the crown. I don't see any obvious feeding damage, but it's pretty inconclusive:

post-5063-099710100 1290615272_thumb.jpg

Keep looking.

Ron

• Upvote 1

That's so hard to tell when they've hacked that thing up to stay out of the power lines.

Ron, did you get the PM I sent you?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here is a CIDP that Matt Bradford (Matty) found, also in San Clemente, CA. This one is about two miles further SE from the one I found, also in San Clemente. Sure looks suspicious. I reported it to my contacts at CDFA and UC, so we'll see what they say.

Nice job Matt!

Here it is from a distance. It looks like it may also be showing the symptoms of Fusarium, but the flat crown and lack of new growth is a symptom of RPW, not usually Fusarium:

post-5063-094704500 1290732910_thumb.jpg post-5063-018941200 1290732928_thumb.jpg

Looking up the trunk:

post-5063-070895200 1290732950_thumb.jpg

post-5063-070141600 1290732971_thumb.jpg post-5063-030954200 1290732893_thumb.jpg

Keep looking.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Here is a CIDP that Matt Bradford (Matty) found, also in San Clemente, CA. This one is about two miles further SE from the one I found, also in San Clemente. Sure looks suspicious. I reported it to my contacts at CDFA and UC, so we'll see what they say.

Nice job Matt!

Here it is from a distance. It looks like it may also be showing the symptoms of Fusarium, but the flat crown and lack of new growth is a symptom of RPW, not usually Fusarium: post-5063-018941200 1290732928_thumb.jpg

Ron

yes Ron ,appears dead for red palm :(

GIUSEPPE

Nice job Matt!

Here it is from a distance. It looks like it may also be showing the symptoms of Fusarium, but the flat crown and lack of new growth is a symptom of RPW, not usually Fusarium...

Keep looking.

Ron

It is really great to see the attempts to identify RPW infested trees! You Californians are also very lucky to have a government body to access these ( we really don't )!

These trees really look identical to ones I've seen dying here. However, it would be likely a CIDP that dies from any cause would look very simular ( we have no FW - only RPW, so I wouldn't really know ).

The fact that no RPW have yet been trapped is a very indication so far - it would tell me the effect is still very local ( like our original outbreak ) and probably not the 14 miles away this tree is located. Once these things start gaining numbers and flying, CIDP's outside the original infection area would be more at risk.

Bearing that in mind, it may make the most sense to concentrate heavily on CIDP's in the immediate area ( less than 5 miles away ) of the first two infected ones. Identifying the original source of the infection would be highly useful also.

Regards

Maurice

Thanks for taking pics and alerting the proper authorities Ron.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thank you Kris for the video ! Very good !

In most weeks i dont work in tijuana where i live but in other 2 citys of baja california, mexicali and ensenada.

I look for this red palm weevil here also when i drive in the diferent parts of the state, i dont see palms with may be this problem in mexicali and ensenada but i see this palm yesterday in tijuana, when i come back from mexicali for the work. I stop and take fotos.

It is in the downtown of tijuana.

What do you think ?

These 3 fotos i take from the south.

post-285-049067700 1291012581_thumb.jpg

post-285-090604700 1291012633_thumb.jpg

post-285-033774900 1291012663_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

2 fotos i take from the north.

post-285-043675100 1291012950_thumb.jpg

post-285-072853700 1291012976_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

1 foto i take from south and east.

Last foto.

post-285-027560800 1291013123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Upvote 1

Dear Cristobal,

If you are interested in more visuals....kindly visit the direct link by just clicking on the video's,it will take you to that page...

And one thing that is most painful is that if the CIDP dies in young age,the pain will be less but seeing them put hard trunk and seeing that beauty for a long time and then finding one day its Crown all battered & tattered by a small pest...is very irritating & heart rendering plight.And i do not know where this epidemic is leading us to ? :huh:

Love,

kris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLtDvUYoXk

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cristóbal I have seen many phoenix canariensis death because of the red palm,and your photos certainly appear red palm.

GIUSEPPE

Cristóbal, would you post the address of that palm in Tijuana? The guys from the CDFA tracking down this RPW infestation might need to widen their scope.

And thanks for being so observant. It's valuable to have you on the lookout in Baja California.

Cristobals palm has so little leaves that it seems that palm has been suffering for quite some time. Probably Fusarium.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Location of palm - Sanchez Taboada and Manuel Marquez de León, by the Costco.

I can take more fotos in this week and look for some things of the weevils if necesary.

post-285-047869200 1291057120_thumb.jpg

post-285-076782900 1291057144_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

It's too bad Google Street View doesn't display the date their pictures were taken.

Here's Cristóbal's palm when it was seeing better days.

Well, at least we know it was getting regular water.

Cristobals palm has so little leaves that it seems that palm has been suffering for quite some time. Probably Fusarium.

I hope you're right Matt.

In describing RPW, Dr. Kabashima said (at the Laguna Beach meeting), "...one of the things to look at is the ring of fronds, like a Friar Tuck haircut. The center's dead, the older fronds are green."

Here's Cristóbal's palm now.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Kris for the video ! Very good !

In most weeks i dont work in tijuana where i live but in other 2 citys of baja california, mexicali and ensenada.

I look for this red palm weevil here also when i drive in the diferent parts of the state, i dont see palms with may be this problem in mexicali and ensenada but i see this palm yesterday in tijuana, when i come back from mexicali for the work. I stop and take fotos.

It is in the downtown of tijuana.

What do you think ?

These 3 fotos i take from the south.

post-285-049067700 1291012581_thumb.jpg

post-285-090604700 1291012633_thumb.jpg

post-285-033774900 1291012663_thumb.jpg

This palm should be reported to Mexico's Ministry of Agriculture right away. Cristobal, I sent your pictures and information to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, but I don't suspect they will do much with the information or relay it to Mexican officials.

I am very, very glad you are looking down south. We don't really know where the entry point was on this pest, so we need to be looking all along the west coast. If US authorities focus all their time, money and energy in Laguna Beach and then find out a year later that there is a much larger infestion somewhere many miles away, we have wasted a lot of time and are in much bigger trouble.

This has been the case in some past California pest introductions, so let's all keep looking. Nice job.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Location of palm - Sanchez Taboada and Manuel Marquez de León, by the Costco.

I can take more fotos in this week and look for some things of the weevils if necesary.

post-285-047869200 1291057120_thumb.jpg

post-285-076782900 1291057144_thumb.jpg

Cristobal, please keep looking.

It is so important!

Some of you may be interested in hearing a brief interview with Dr. Mark Hoddle of The Center for Invasive Species Research (CISR), a division of the entomology department at UC Riverside. Dr. Hoddle is one of the key researchers heading the campaign against this pest. The interview is about eight minutes long.

My link

When you get to the website, click the word "Download" near the top and the podcast will load.

Ron

Matty,

The RPW typicaly feeds on the heart of the palm, so the central leaves will simply fall out, where the outer ones will remain. The bed where the palm is located seems to be well kept, so somebody could have collected the dead leaves.

Cristobal,

the easiest detection of the RPW is from the leaf bases full of holes, so look for these. There may be some of the leaves dropping right now.

BTW,

most of the palms posted here seem to have been trimmed recently (one year, some months?).

Tomas

I've seen a lot of Fusarium on coconuts in the Carribean but have not seen a dying CIDP from it.

As Gyuseppe stated, a dying RPW CIDP looks exactly like this - lower leaves green and intact with a decimated crown. I expect yellow lower leaves on a Fusarium infected palm.

A ladder would confirm this quite quickly - once you witness that smell you will always remember it.

The thing that convinces me on this particular speciman is the apparant existance of the brown mushy substance - this will always be present and easily identifiable:

post-213-037305900 1291136876_thumb.jpg

Edited by mlovecan
  • Upvote 1

It's too bad Google Street View doesn't display the date their pictures were taken.

According to Wikipedia, the photos are earlier than April 2009:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

Edited by mlovecan