IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 19-20 2006

STEVE IN SO CAL

This could get worse than expected...it's 8 PM Tue night, and already 31f in my lower field. If this holds up, I'll be below freezing for 11-12 hours...It looks like I'm gonna be the CRDB poster child this year.

In this field I have, in ascending order(lowest/coldest first) Yucca Rostrata(they should be ok) Cham Hum Cerifera, Jubaea, Butia x Jubaea, Sabal Uresana, Dyp Decipiens, Parajubaea Torallyi Torallyi, Ravanea Xerophila, and at the top, Rav Glauca and Sabal Mauritiaformis. Over 2,000 plants at risk...yikes...help me Mr. Wizard !!!!

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

I'd be totally freaking out if I had exposed palms to those temps... Heck, I freak out when my greenhouse temps go below 50f.. I go in there and turn up the heat.... It's 38f here in my yard right now at 11:43pm and I have my heaters cranking....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Dave

Your jungle is at risk   :(   Only areas currently reporting freezing are upper Mojave desert.  Are you located in an upper valley like Ojai/Santa Clarita?  Only safe for avocado.

Wish you well   :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I think it maybe cold in very body’s jungle in Southern Cal. Here in Vista at 9:00pm the yard is 32 degrees and shade house 38 degrees. Just hope for some breeze.  :(

Plant a palm....

945pm here in Oside and the same points mentioned this morning are...mailbox38F, back low in yard 40F and greenhouse at 45F

I think I'll power up the lite tonite...

When was this global warming supposed to kick in!!!!! ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1010 (WINS News time-Bobby will get that one)PM and it's 43.7 degrees in my garden. Very chilly and I predict about 37 again tonight. Good news it that tomorrow night should be warmer and then warmer again Thursday.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Yeah, an early cold air mass hit here too.  I got down to 39.7F at 7:00pm.  It's 10:00 now and back up to 42.3F.  I feel a slight breeze.  Hopefully that keeps up.  It's a very cold one Mr. Grinch.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(BobbyinNY @ Dec. 20 2006,04:33)

Steve,

I'd be totally freaking out if I had exposed palms to those temps... Heck, I freak out when my greenhouse temps go below 50f.. I go in there and turn up the heat.... It's 38f here in my yard right now at 11:43pm and I have my heaters cranking....

Bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Dec. 19 2006,23:38)

(BobbyinNY @ Dec. 20 2006,04:33)

Steve,

Bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

Corey- I thought I was the only nut with a cold house...its about 56F in here right now...5:30 am

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

0630 Wed a/m...35f by the pool, 28f in the front yard lawn, 23f in the lower field. Tonight will be 2-3 degrees warmer, which will still mean four nights in a row with sustained freezing temps in my field.

So far I see little damage, but that could be because of the low humidity...we'll see how they look in a few weeks.

Praying for mild weather...I think the weather Gods got San Diego mixed up with San Antonio.

Amen to that Steve...

Out in the open here in San Marcos, it's been 34F....under my patio close to the house it's pretty much stayed right around 38-40F....this is one of those times where i'm glad i have more cycads than palms.

However...the stuff i keep at my Dad's house is a different story...i KNOW it's been getting down into the low low 30's over there, but the only palm i think i have to worry about is the small 5 gal Brahea nitida's i have there..not so much for the cold factor (they should be okay even if it hits 30F), but for the fact that they are so small. Everything else I have over there is 15 gal size for the most part (C. gigas, L. australis and chinensis, D. decaryi, H. fosteriana, A. cunninghamiana, B. nobilis etc.), so hopefully they will withstand the cold....I'm going over there to check it out pretty soon.

0630 Wed a/m...35f by the pool, 28f in the front yard lawn, 23f in the lower field. Tonight will be 2-3 degrees warmer, which will still mean four nights in a row with sustained freezing temps in my field.

So far I see little damage, but that could be because of the low humidity...we'll see how they look in a few weeks.

Praying for mild weather...I think the weather Gods got San Diego mixed up with San Antonio.

Wow Steve.... you guys are colder than us...... We got down to 28.5f here this morning, our coldest night since that arctic blast we had last week. It's supposed to warm up starting tomorrow...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

1010 (WINS News time-Bobby will get that one)

"You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world" ....lol.. I listen to it everyday...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Dec. 20 2006,10:02)

Hey...San Antonio doesn't even get down to 23F (at least the last 5 years it hasn't).  We haven't gotten below 29 or 30F this year, with no below freezing temps in the forecast.  We get a bad rap.

Well, not as bad as I thought it would be. 39 and change was the low on both thermometers.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,02:38)

[bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

LOL, Corey, you should move your study into your polytunnel!  That's a true Dad, giving your palm babies more comfort than yourself!

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 20 2006,13:23)

Corey- I thought I was the only nut with a cold house...its about 56F in here right now...5:30 am

OK, you work with air conditioning systems and as a plumber I used to work with and install heating systems, what is wrong with us?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Kathy @ Dec. 20 2006,12:08)

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,02:38)

[bobby you share my tendency towards being over protective.  It's currently -3°C/27°F outside, but in my polytunnel it is currently 29.2°C/84.6°F and that reading is from near the front door, so I dare say it's too hot as usual near the middle.  The really stupid thing is that in my study, where I am currently typing this message, it is 7.2°C/45°F, I'm glad I have four jumpers on.

LOL, Corey, you should move your study into your polytunnel!  That's a true Dad, giving your palm babies more comfort than yourself!

Ill bet if his wife knew the temp in his polytunnel compared to the house, she might start to wonder about him!

"You are spending how much to heat your plants while we freeze in here!?!?!?"

LOL!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Well, after my early reading of 39.7F last night it warmed up into the 40's for most of the night.  My ultimate low this morning was 36F.  No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.  I noticed my Dypsis pembana has some minor cold spotting on it.  It saw 31.5 and 33 the last few weeks w/ no protection (no frost).

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Dec. 20 2006,12:12)

No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.

You lucky devil!

Temps in even the middle (sometimes upper) 30's with semi-still air will usually result in frost here depending on the dewpoint :(

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 20 2006,12:18)

(MattyB @ Dec. 20 2006,12:12)

No frost or dew anywhere....too dry.

You lucky devil!

I'll second that!  32F for a low and plenty of frost here.  Things look OK now, but we'll see longterm.  All palms left unprotected, except for some brought under porch overhang if potted.  Sabal mauritiiformis looks OK so far this morning, planted in the far rear of the backyard with slight overhead canopy from neighbor plants.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

For the second night in a row it bottomed out just under 2C (35F) in Altadena....

By the way, quite a few record lows were set yesterday morning, including Los Angeles (39F), Long Beach (36F), and Santa Barbara (28F).  The 39F in Los Angeles tied the record from 1924.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Ill bet if his wife knew the temp in his polytunnel compared to the house, she might start to wonder about him!

"You are spending how much to heat your plants while we freeze in here!?!?!?"

Yeah, Corey..... you really keep it hot in there.... I don't keep mine that hot because I want it to seem more natural... I don't really want the stuff growing out of control in the middle of the winter..... I keep my PalmScraper and Domehouse just above 45f most of the time - during the day the sun warms it up to around 70f anyway and they are just used for overwintering..

in my other Polytunnel where I have stuff actively growing, I have the thermostat to never go below 60f (which it stays at night), and during the day it warms up to about 78-82f (my cocos like it warm)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

So you are all worried about the cold weather huh?  Maybe you'll feel better when you hear my situation.  I live in the Sierra Foothills at 2000' el. (Rough and Ready,CA) but I am back in Michigan for the holidays.  The minimums have been lower in CA than MI.  Most years 27-28'F min. but has already been 26 before I left on 17th.  My hillside is 9a but 8b conditions only 1/4 mile down the hill. (slope + reliable gentle wind exposure ).  Most marginal palms were brought in before I left but there are still 1 gallons and many community pots of 1000s of seedlings on the patio.  Nothing old and grand but many babies at risk.   Small Braheas, Liv. chin., Liv. nitidas, Arenga micranthas, Car. himalayas everywhere.  Some only seedling leaves. Some tender bananas and citrus varieties (Eureka, Moro, Lisbon, Orinoco, E. vent.) outside too.  I got a neighbor watering every 2 days but he is not a certified plant-lunatic/caregiver.  I ran out of time and couldn't get my new coldframe up before leaving.  Its all out of my hands now.  So you feel better yet?  Let me invite you into my boat.  The jet stream map (at least at the weather.com site) is showing a similar scenario as the Dec. 1990 freeze. Big looming 2nd cold air mass around artic and a stong south pulling stream from Alaska.  Will it come south?  If it matters at all weather.com has gotten crappy over the last few years, no internet weather source is very good at forecast predictions and I find local TV news weather more in tune.  However, Wunderground.com is excellent for its personal weather stations' current and past readings.  More palm nuts should have stations.  Incidentally does anyone know what has happened to the CRDB site?  NetFirms reports they have exceeded daily use limits for 3 months now.

2300  28.6F

LOW  25.0F

0830  29.3F

Yet another 12+ hour night at/below freezing.  Outside of the fully exposed shade house 22.7F.  Not as much frost this morning due to some passing cloud cover during the night.  There was some period of warming overnight/this morning, as I found a couple of small ice drips on my truck.

Bizmarkia covered by a 15g pot and blankets in the shade house showing a bit more foliar damage than yesterday.  Phoenix  roebelenii × reclinata in a 2g tall pot in the shade house is showing the first signs of some foliar damage.  Small Phoenix roebelenii in a large terracotta pot (~30g) next to the south side of the house (lowest ~25F) showing tip burn, but I noticed the soil is very dry, so it could be dehydration.

Enough already!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(monkeyranch @ Dec. 20 2006,12:21)

Incidentally does anyone know what has happened to the CRDB site?  NetFirms reports they have exceeded daily use limits for 3 months now.

I haven't been able to access the CRDB datatbase for what seems like 6+ months.  The main site loads, but no searches.

Robert

9A

(Neofolis @ Dec. 20 2006,09:09)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 20 2006,13:23)

OK, you work with air conditioning systems and as a plumber I used to work with and install heating systems, what is wrong with us?

Well, I fix heaters and A/C systems, but the house I'm renovating was built in 1946 and has NO insulation and a wall heater. I get tired of hearing it run and only getting the 10' area near it warm....

2 Nice new full heat and A/C systems sitting in the garage just waiting for me to install them!!

Bill, we need an intervention to get you going on your house.  123 not it.

Jack, was the LA 39F taken at the Airport in Santa Monica or Downtown?  Well, I guess that's cold for either location, huh?

As far as frost goes:  What I've noticed over the past 4 years is that it usually only gets into the frost zone (about 37F or lower) here if the humidity is low.  That's why it gets so cold because of massive radiational cooling.  The good thing is that it's usually too dry to form condensation/frost on anything except grass and cars and roof tops...hopefully not my plants....know what I'm sayin'!  Ahhh it's cold...I'm losing my brain....save yourselves....go on without me...

Hello?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Whew, Its going to rain tonight. It was 32F earlier tonight but then it warmed up in approach of the warm front. I was scared, for a minute I though it may snow.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(MattyB @ Dec. 21 2006,00:17)

Bill, we need an intervention to get you going on your house.  123 not it.

Jack, was the LA 39F taken at the Airport in Santa Monica or Downtown?  Well, I guess that's cold for either location, huh?

As far as frost goes:  What I've noticed over the past 4 years is that it usually only gets into the frost zone (about 37F or lower) here if the humidity is low.  That's why it gets so cold because of massive radiational cooling.  The good thing is that it's usually too dry to form condensation/frost on anything except grass and cars and roof tops...hopefully not my plants....know what I'm sayin'!  Ahhh it's cold...I'm losing my brain....save yourselves....go on without me...

Hello?

Hey! I got a call this morning that my stucco guy will get underway next Thursday.  Hooray!!  :D

No as bad last night. 40 degrees was the low in my garden.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Bill I have a similar problem.  My house was built in 1895 and is uninsulated and whilst I have full gas central heating, it takes two days to warm the house up and even then, if it is really cold outisde it's still cold inside.  The temperature in my study bottomed out at 5.4°C/41.7°F at 05:45 this morning.  I am in the process of addressing the insulation issue, but I have been working on my front room for 11 years now, so the whole house is currently looking about another 110 years from completion.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Dec. 21 2006,11:38)

Bill I have a similar problem.  My house was built in 1895 and is uninsulated and whilst I have full gas central heating, it takes two days to warm the house up and even then, if it is really cold outisde it's still cold inside.  The temperature in my study bottomed out at 5.4°C/41.7°F at 05:45 this morning.  I am in the process of addressing the insulation issue, but I have been working on my front room for 11 years now, so the whole house is currently looking about another 110 years from completion.

Wow..1895...no wonder it's so cold inside, it hasn't warmed up since the last ice age  :P

(just kidding Corey..I like old-timey...when I remodeled my kitchen, I spent lots of money making it LOOK like it was built in 1895)

Same o same o this a/m...too depressed to go look, though. Stayed in and drank coffee. Monday it starts warming up...we'll see.

Thurs. 12-21-06 Low of 39F in the L.G.  That's not too bad.  Since it's warming up, maybe I can grow Cyrtostachys renda.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

LOW  26.1F, sometime between 0200-0400.  Wind and cloud cover in and out starting around 0200.  Weather service showed lowest temps around 0200 and 0500, but the temp at sunrise was 31.1F here.

Hope we are done for for the winter.

Robert

9A

40's at night never sounded so good.  Fortunately 35 was the coldest I experienced during this spell and still no frosts for 2 straight years.  Last year it got down to 33 once so if this is as cold as it gets then I'll feel ok.  Good news everyone, today is officialy the shortest day of the year and I believe the first day of winter, so that means longer days, closer to spring and warmer temps around the corner or so I hope.  Highs for much of the week will be 70's and lows in the mid to upper 40's.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Don - I couldn't resist because I know some folks that give ME grief.....  The days WILL NOT be longer, they will still be 24 hours long, but there will be more minutes of DAYLIGHT.   :D

PS- can I order up some early global warming?

(MattyB @ Dec. 21 2006,03:17)

The recording was taken at LAX but both Santa Monica [not the pier] & downtown LA normally observe a few nights each winter below 40F.  I recorded 38F last March that did a number on a michelia. :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW