IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

113 F (45 C!!!) along the Cote d'La La

DoomsDave

Dang, the summer ended with a wimper and fall goes in with a bang.

After a night of hot hot hot, it hit 113 F in Downtown Los Angeles about noon today, and it's not clear that's going to be as hot as it gets.

Ouch!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's pretty much as hot as it has ever gotten, right?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The daddy (or mommy) of all the records was 118 FF in April of 1988, when it was that hot, or close, for two straight weeks.

That was back when I worked outside all day . . . .

ITAI!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

WOW thats some heatwave, anyone for dashboard eggs and bacon. :sick::o

Nice 78F and muggy 84% humidity with no sun today, sunshine later this week.

Stay cool if you have to be outside.

Roger.

Edited by Palm crazy

Yes, today was the all-time hottest temperature in downtown LA; the previous record was 112F in June 1990. But within the city limits of Los Angeles is Woodland Hills in the San Fernando valley and that area recorded 119F in July 2006. Anyone remember that summer? :wacko:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Git up to 96F here at my house by the coast.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

105.3° at my place, 111.4° in the greenhouse with the door open.

According to Accueweather, Oceanside's low Sunday was 49° and the high was 101°. Anyone else ever experience temps in the 40s and 100s on the same day?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

According to Accueweather, Oceanside's low Sunday was 49° and the high was 101°. Anyone else ever experience temps in the 40s and 100s on the same day?

That was extreme, though we didn't get that much of a spread.

Yes, today was the all-time hottest temperature in downtown LA; the previous record was 112F in June 1990. But within the city limits of Los Angeles is Woodland Hills in the San Fernando valley and that area recorded 119F in July 2006. Anyone remember that summer? :wacko:

Oh, yeah, the Summer of Infamy!

No low temps that bizarre. Only bottomed out last night at 65F.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Minimums well above 80F\ 26.6C were widely recorded this morning including a low of 89F\ 31.6C at Getty Center in West LA with a maximum of 110F [the Getty is only a few miles from the ocean]. But the minimum of 91F\ 32.7C in Thousand Oaks is unbelievable [they also recorded 110F this afternoon].

It was only 80F at my house this morning with a maximum of 111F\ 43.8C

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow!!! That's hotter than here! It only got to 105F today! What was the humidity like? When it reaches 113F here, humidity is pretty low (~5-10%). How do the plants handle that kind of heat? When it reached 117F this summer, my bananas fried.

Adam 

It got up to 110 here at my house in Fallbrook today. Lots of fried palms because of it. Stuff that was doing great in full sun like archontophoenix burnt pretty bad. Mostly on the stuff that hasn't been in the ground all that long. The roots were probably just not big and strong enough to pull up enough water to keep the plant from overheating. Also, the lowest I had this morning was 80.

The crazy weather there is complicating the wine grape harvest in Santa Barbara County. Because of the cold summer, the grapes are ripening a couple of weeks late...right now, when the crazy heat wave is hitting.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

I worked until 9:30 PM tonite fixing A/C units. I'll have to wait for daybreak to see what burned... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That was extreme, though we didn't get that much of a spread.

Happens here (Brentwood NorCal) almost every year.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Supposed to be 20F cooler here today.. its definately cooler than it was here yesterday at this same time. When it was 88F at my house at 9am, I knew it was gonna be a scorcher.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My low this morning was 70°.

I got my previous information from Accuweather. Here is what the past week has looked like by their data.

Date/Day Low High Spread

9/21 Tue 58 69 11

9/22 Wed 50 70 10

9/23 Thu 45 75 30

9/24 Fri 46 83 37

9/25 Sat 47 91 44

9/26 Sun 49 101 52

9/27 Mon 60 105 45

As usual, the info for Oceanside is always measured at the airport, which is a wacky microclimate. The lowest temp I've seen for the past week was 50°.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)