IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Humid as anything today with no sun, just thick clouds. Only made 22C but very sticky after a min of 18C. Got a bit of rain early this evening. 20C tomorrow and early rain then gradually reaching mid thirties next week. Nice gentle weather today. Summer next week.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I wish I had your cloud, Tyrone... HOT HOT HOT today... very typical humid build up days. Very localised rain, usually not at my place :rolleyes: .

But things are still growing, unfortunately things are burning too. Can't wait till the monsoon arrives...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

28C tomorrow, then rising to 35C on Wed, then rain and mid twenties after that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Got 51mm from 1pm yesterday to 8am this morning.... :rolleyes:

That's probably not a lot to the northern Aussies on the board, but here that's pretty much Melbourne's October's average monthly rainfall amount. We'd already had good rainfall this month already, so we're up over 140mm for the month now :)

My tanks are all overflowing, which is something I always "wish for" coming into November.

While I love to see the tanks overflowing, part of me wishes the rain would stop when this happens. I will be screaming for this wasted water in a month or so..... as you can see, even now I still want to catch it.

post-953-019167600 1288475117_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Everything from inside the pergola has had a great drink.

Regards

Michael.

post-953-071833600 1288475227_thumb.jpg

Michael, you had more than me this month!!! Very frustrating month!! I would rather have a 'normal' year than this supposedly La Nina year any day!!

Anyway, you still have room inside that pergola!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's excellent Michael. Watch your garden explode this year.

There's a cat 1 TC in the Indian Ocean at the moment. Looks like an early cyclone season this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

36C today. Yesterday was 34C. Tomorrow is a humid 26C with a bit of rain. Yippeee. :)

Starting to get a little bit dry here. haven't had any decent rainfall for a while. :(

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Was 37C yesterday. A real taste of summer. Today was cloudy and 26C with a bit of rain. Cool southerlies now. A real contrast between today and yesterday.

Dry season day yesterday and another dry season day today from the look of it. As long as the temperature stay lowish, it shouldn't be a problem. It has been a weird year indeed. Apparently moisture will return on Monday... I guess it is time to do some building stuff around the place & spray for weeds...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just looked at the Accuweather forecast for the next two weeks and it looks like we have 4 days of rain and 28C with 16C nights. If this is true this will be a weird sort of summer. But it's Accuweather so who knows what will happen. I hope we get a wet subtropical summer.

Our weird spring continues here...no hot weather yet and it is only just over two weeks from the start of summer. Still, all of the rain and humidity has been great for the garden.

Forecast for Friday

Mostly fine, just a possible shower. Light to moderate NE winds.

Precis: Mostly fine, a possible shower

City: Max 27

UV Alert: 7:20 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 16 [Extreme]

Saturday Shower or two Min 19 Max 27

Sunday Shower or two Min 20 Max 28

Monday Fine Min 20 Max 28

Tuesday Possible shower Min 19 Max 29

Wednesday Shower or two Min 20 Max 29

Thursday Shower or two Min 19 Max 28

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Our first 'real' storm in November!!!! Woo hoo!!! It was great with lightning show and everything. I have enough of this La Nina, thank you and please just give us our 'normal' weather. La Nina never delivers for us, so far we missed out on our usual organised storm, gulf lines and replaced them with isolated storms/showers.... So, hopefully this is a good sign of what is to come....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They're forecasting 32C and thunderstorms for Sunday. I hope so. I hope it's a sign of things to come. I'd be happy with a thunderstorm a week with maybe 10-25mm a time even if it fell in one hour. I'm asking a bit much though.rolleyes.gif

35C and thunderstorms forecast for Sunday. Then 30C and thunderstorms on Mon. Heaven. :D

High 20's here. No sign of rain. Already talking water restrictions.....

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

A nice run of 30C-34C next week, culminating with a storm on Friday. Will take that. :)

Regards

Michael.

Still waiting for it to hit 30 this season. Heavily overcast all week, looked like it was about to bucket down at any time, but it didnt bother to do so. Still need to use the sprinkler and handhose daily. Getting the air conditioner duct cleaned could possibly be a waste of money. It should be running full blast 24/7 by now but so far no need. In fact still got the doona on the bed and a flannelette nightie on standby.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Been down in Albany on the south coast, and it was mid twenties to around 31C on Saturday with very high humidity. We went into the forest around Nornalup to the tree top walk in the Valley of the Giants where I thought it would be pleasant and cool, but it was hot and very humid with black thunder clouds all around with the odd rumble of thunder. It felt like being in the Daintree rainforest. On Friday night we drove through a ripper of a lightening storm on the road back from Mt Barker to Albany. On some of the flashes I'm sure I saw my own skeleton. :D

Back in Perth my garden saw nearly 41C on Sat, with mins around 20-23C. Driving back to Perth lastnight we came through two small thunder storm systems, and it was warm and very humid. Even though Perth officially received no rain, the mail in my letterbox was all wet so we must have got something. Today after a min around 21C it's all grey and overcast and dead still with dewpoints around 19-20C going for a top of 26C. It may go past that.

Going to assess the garden this morning to see what the 41C did to it. I've already noticed a Pinanga that has dropped the middle spear. It looked fine last week. The base of the spear is black and mushy. Maybe it was a reaction to the heat, or delayed damage from the cold winter we had.

Best regards

Tyrone

27C here at midday, going for 32C. Not a cloud in the sky and just a hint of a breeze. Lovely.

Same all week till Thursday night, where up to 100mm is predicted over the next 3 days... here's hoping ! :D

Some of the spears on palms I have marked are growing 10mm overnight..... loving it.

Regards

Michael

Yesterday was very humid and just made 26C. Large thunder clouds loomed like huge balls of cotton but produced no rainfall. Instead they went inland and harrassed the wheatbelt with high winds and lightening but very little rainfall. Had a min around 18C and now its cloudy and going for a top of 26C.

My coconut grew about 12mm (1/2 inch) overnight so I'm really pleased it has forgotten about winter. if it survived last winter it will survive any winter. My Dypsis plumosa has flowers on it, the foxy ladies have hit over drive again, my Heliconia scheidiana's are flowering, spears are opening on everything. I love this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still no sun or rain and the southerly winds get stronger every day. Been staying up at night to keep moving the sprinkler before the place turns into a dessicated dustbowl again. 2 weeks now of 14 minimums and 27 to 29 max. Comfortable for me and the trachies but the tropical palms that survived winter are now dropping like flies without the heat. (and quite a lot of my rare anthuriums too)

Peachy

Edited by peachy

27.35 south.

Well my English rellies went home this morning (Took them to the airport at 3am ) to −1C mins and 4C max's after enjoying good old West Aussie weather from Shark Bay to Albany. It was 16C this morning and they were saying how they felt cold on the way to the airport. They got used to the warmth very quickly. Walking solar panels they were. What a shock they'll have when they go out into the carpark at Gatwick airport tonight.

Went through a coolish spell here the last couple of days. Mid twenties and cloud. Today is sunny, and time for me to get out of holiday mode. :(

Warming up from here. 29C today

Thursday Sunny. Min 14 Max 30Friday Mostly sunny. Min 15 Max 29Saturday Sunny, windy. Min 14 Max 32Sunday Sunny. Min 18 Max 33Monday Sunny. Min 19 Max 34Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 31

Palms are going well. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

A couple of days of soaking rains coming up....(starting right now actually) and temps around 23C-25C. Not too shabby.

Palms are roaring along.

:)

Regards

Michael

A couple of days of soaking rains coming up....(starting right now actually) and temps around 23C-25C. Not too shabby.

Palms are roaring along.

:)

Regards

Michael

That's great to hear. That's so much better than the summer a couple of years back, the one worth forgetting. It sounds like Melbourne may have returned to a more normal pattern.

Here the long range forecast is for above average summer rainfall and above average minimums. The rainfall bit is not much to get excited over though. Even though it will likely be above average the "75% likely" map has my area tipped to receive not much over 20mm of rain for 3 months, which is above average by maybe 2-5mm. That's hardly going to rot your succulents this year.

Warm minimums normally means clouds and increased humidity which means lower evaporation rates, so with a bit of reticulation it's going to be a nice season this year I think. The odd thunderstorm or two will just add to the steamy atmosphere. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

20mm of rain overnight and today....and a temp of about 22C. Humid all day too. The amount of new growth is fantastic.

The parajub that was flattened by a fallen branch 2 weeks ago chugs along without a whimper...(I am truly amazed by that).

I have just used 1000L out of one of the tanks to re-fill the spa, and now that tank is empty. I am banking on the 35mm of rain we are "95%" going to receive over the next 2 days. IF it arrives, that tank will refill back to it's 4000L capacity in a flash....and the spa will have been filled with no nett water loss to me :)

Don't you love calculated risks ??

So far this month we have had a grand total of 5mm of rain. Its the second driest November since 1944. The temps are still way down for this time of year, today is a sizzling 28 !!! The low, dark clouds are just misleading advertising. No glorious growth spurts so far, in fact no noticable growth on most palms here untless they are pampered pot pets.

Peachy

27.35 south.

For the next week forecast, 29C is the coolest day then nothing below 31C and then mid thirties to 37C max on Tuesday. After that nothing below about 31C for all the next week, mostly mid thirties. So far Nov has averaged Dec temps, about 2.5C hotter than average. Palms are going nuts, and really responding to NPK chemical ferts.

Best regards

Tyrone

Dunno what the actual humidity is today, but it warm, overcast and extremely muggy. Feels very much like Darwin. Just raking up leaves left me covered in sweat. Threatening to dump up to 40mm today with severe thunderstorm alerts issued.

Palms are in heaven...can almost sit back and watch them growing. Sensational. :winkie:

Regards

Michael.

Sounds great Michael. Your plants will be leaping for joy. Enjoy your thunderstorms.

Here it got to just under 34C and right now it's blowing a gusty easterly with very low humidity and 26C at 11pm. This is the low humidity that we get before the high humidity later on in the week.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's 2.20pm 35.9C with 9% RH or a dewpoint of −1.7C!!!!!!. The airport has a Dewpoint of −5.9C.!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd think with such low humidity this heat would feel mildly pleasant, but it's a biting heat. I think we'll go down the beach tonight and have dinner there. This dry heat just saps the moisture from everything.

Real monsoonal rain today!!! 45mm... woohooo!!! I hope it stays around for a few days....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It looks like yesterday will repeat. 8.20am 29C −0.1C Dewpoint 15% RH with a NE wind. It certainly is dry.

Best regards

Tyrone