IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Is the rain in Australia related to the La Niña? Our forecast is for above average rains this rainy season. It did rain over night which is a nice relief from the dry hot weather we have been experiencing. I am ready to see the seasons transition over to rain again. We have had about a month now with everyday from 38 to 42 C in the city. This is not really anything unusual for this time of year. But, it does make the rains even more welcome.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, the rain in the East of Oz is La Nina related.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We have been getting early wet too.... although not the big number like people in SEQ. But hey... early wet... better than nothing :) :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We're having a nice sunny dry spell. :D

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

We've had 6mm of rain this month vs the avg of 43mm. No real rain is forecast in the foreseeable future. At least it's not the driest Oct ever at 5.2mm.

Sunny and windy with 24C max today. Nights have been cool thanks to a high that won't go east of us. The easterlies have been coming off a cold interior that has been getting rain. Dry as a chip by the time they reach the west coast though.

30C by the weekend and night temps rising as well as dewpoints.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good solid rain in Melbourne over last few days...not Qld-style by any means, but noteworthy nonetheless, as it all helps.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Monsoonal rain in October!!! Now I have seen everything.... :mrlooney: . Yes, the monsoon has arrived 2 months early, some of the Kakadu waterholes have been closed. Not so good for the tourism & the mango farmers, but great for us gardeners....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We actually had 2 days without any rain! Unfortunately it is raining yet again...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Monsoonal rain in October!!! Now I have seen everything.... :mrlooney: . Yes, the monsoon has arrived 2 months early, some of the Kakadu waterholes have been closed. Not so good for the tourism & the mango farmers, but great for us gardeners....

I'd probably turn into a Mango if I lived in a suitable climate to grow them. One of my favourite fruits.

Ari, what stage are Mangos at this time of year?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Fruiting, Mike... Fruits on the trees everywhere... But it is not a good season, as they need the dry season to really flower & set fruits. The dry season has been humid & raining. The grower on the corner usually sell their mangos for $5- $6 a bag, and this year they are selling them for $8 a bag. They don't look as 'perfect' as the ones from Woolies, but they taste just the same...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What a difference a day makes: today 25c max and NW winds; tomorrow 17c and SW winds. But I'll be up at Katoomba where it will be 10c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Well, I went on a bushwalk in the Blue Mountains and it was a bit like Antarctica. The wind was howling across the ridgetops, making it difficult to stand in one spot at times, and the snow flurries kept rolling in. Although no snow settled on the ground, it was still like being in a blizzard when the wind got behind the flakes.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Sounds colder than 10C. I was there back in mid August and had a similar experience. Absolutely freezing.

27C today, 29C tomorrow, and 32C Monday. Not a drop of rain. Some coming mid week though.

Everything has really sprung into life including the coconut.

Best regards

Tyrone

What a beautiful monsoonal day!!! Didn't get anything done, but hey... everything is wet. I think we should get around 30-40mm tonight, I haven't checked since it is still raining. Maybe 50mm if we are lucky...

Maybe planting tomorrow.... worked out the best place to plant a grove for Mauritias :).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Fruiting, Mike... Fruits on the trees everywhere... But it is not a good season, as they need the dry season to really flower & set fruits. The dry season has been humid & raining. The grower on the corner usually sell their mangos for $5- $6 a bag, and this year they are selling them for $8 a bag. They don't look as 'perfect' as the ones from Woolies, but they taste just the same...

Much cheaper to buy than here. You pay $2 for a single fruit so I don't buy them very often but occasionally they are on special for $1 so that's when I load up with them. Most of the Mangos here seem to come from Peru or Mexico. Don't think I've ever seen an Aussie one.

I assume the best quality fruit goes off shore?

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Not sure... I know they go to Sydney first. I am not too fussed about how the look anyway. They still taste the same to me. My tree only has 4 mangos this year, after getting 6 last year. Hopefully more next year...

BTW, we don't buy them from Woolies, otherwise you would pay Sydney prices... yes, like $2 ea. We go to the market or growers for them :).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I've got some photos here of the gale force winds and snow flurries.

DSCF2263.jpg

DSCF2264.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

treefern and snow

DSCF2277.jpg

a snow squall moving across the valley

DSCF2280.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

treefern and snow

DSCF2277.jpg

DSCF2280.jpg

Awesome pics of the weather. Looks much colder than when I was there. When I went there I remember thinking I haven't been so cold during the day in my life. Your pictures make it look frigid. About 1C maybe. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like we'll get a better season down here Ari. All the Mango trees are loaded with blossoms. Come March April there'll be heaps of mangoes ripening everywhere. I think the dry winter made them go crazy this year. Many years ago it would have been rare to find a Mango tree in Perth. Now everyones got them and some of the trees are massive, even planted out as verge trees. When I drive around I love spotting the mango trees. Reminds me of the tropics. Still, to buy a Darwin Mango at this time of the year costs $2 each. We just bought a small pack a couple of days ago. Couldn't resist.

Best regards

Tyrone

Why should you resist, Tyrone?? Just give in to the temptation :) :).

Mulching day today, as it is nice and cool.... sunny relatively after the whole afternoon/night monsoonal showers/storms yesterday. Just finished one garden bed and planted a pitchardia remota. About to move on to another one... Put my Satakentia on my hardening off table outside, hopefully going in this wet season. Found a good spot for Chamberoynia hookerii in the garden yesterday, so hopefully they can go in this afternoon.... Aaahhh.... just perfect!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

treefern and snow

DSCF2277.jpg

DSCF2280.jpg

Awesome pics of the weather. Looks much colder than when I was there. When I went there I remember thinking I haven't been so cold during the day in my life. Your pictures make it look frigid. About 1C maybe. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Best regards

Tyrone

I don't think it was quite that cold. The max at Mount Boyce not far away was 7.6c, so I think it would have ranged from about 3c to 8c during the walk. I believe snow flurries can occur at up to 10c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Last night it plummeted down to 5c...imagine needing the heating on in mid October. Today was clear skies, not too hot or cold but the moment the sun went down, so did the temperatures again. Supposed to going down to 6 tonight. Yes the heating is on already. My new Alcanterea imperialis rubra, fresh from Cairns must have shivered all night long. Mike, the supermarkets still charge $2 each for mangoes here, even though in a few weeks they will be dropping from trees, in the thousands all over the paths and roadways, from trees planted in front yards. They grow into such a massive tree, I would never bother with one here. Besides I dont like mango, too sickly for my delicate palate. Thanks for the photos Phil, brought back memories for me of spending most weekend winters at Dinner Plains romping in the snow. Nothing is prettier than watching it falling.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, Alacanterea can handle that sort of cold no worries.

Got to 29C today. 32C tomorrow and I'm creating my own wet season outside. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Last night it plummeted down to 5c...imagine needing the heating on in mid October. Today was clear skies, not too hot or cold but the moment the sun went down, so did the temperatures again. Supposed to going down to 6 tonight. Yes the heating is on already. My new Alcanterea imperialis rubra, fresh from Cairns must have shivered all night long. Mike, the supermarkets still charge $2 each for mangoes here, even though in a few weeks they will be dropping from trees, in the thousands all over the paths and roadways, from trees planted in front yards. They grow into such a massive tree, I would never bother with one here. Besides I dont like mango, too sickly for my delicate palate. Thanks for the photos Phil, brought back memories for me of spending most weekend winters at Dinner Plains romping in the snow. Nothing is prettier than watching it falling.

Peachy

We're having a chilly spell here too. Still getting snow on the mountain tops. I'm suprised at Mango prices in oz but it's the same here with our locally grown produce - you have to pay what they can sell it overseas for but often the quality is not the same which makes it a ripoff.

I had several Alcantarea winter outdoors here (even have one in the ground) and it didn't seem to bother them. Tough little things really.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Got to 32.6C today but with low humidity. 28C tomorrow. Enjoying this heat.

Best regards

Tyrone

RH jumped up to around 90% this morning with dewpoints around 14.5C. Sign of things to come. Going for 28C today.

The BOM has put out a seasonal cyclone warning for the NW of Oz predicting an early and savage cyclone season. If so, that moisture up north could translate to summer moisture down here. I certainly hope so. It's been a dry old year so far. The last big dumping of rain we had came in March when we had that super storm that caused 1 billion dollars damage. Since then everything has been a let down in the rain gauge.

Best regards

Tyrone

Are you worried about drought Tyrone?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Are you worried about drought Tyrone?

I am actually. The big D word kind of hypersensitizes the politicians and policy makers who react to situations rather than making actions to counteract future possibilities. It's like braking once you've run the redlight. Basically Perth and the West Coast have run the red light. Real counter measures should have happened 30 years ago. But who stays in office for that long.

However for my own garden, I'm OK. I'm allowed to water 3 times a week due to the bore vs everyone elses once a week on mains water. I have no issue with restricting use of high quality drinking water, but we should have a non potable water system for use on gardens and for flushing toilets etc. That would be the smart thing to do. It would prevent treated sewerage water being pumped out to sea in huge quantities like it is. If they can turn sewerage back into drinking water, why can't they treat it just a bit less and use it on the garden. It makes sense to me.

23C and overnight rain with a min of 14C. The frogs are singing now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had thunderstorms today and about 10mm of rain. Not much but 10mm more than what we had yesterday. It's great to see everything wet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Colder than normal , and much wetter :blink:

some stats from local Tully Times ..

highest rainfall 114mm last Thursday

year to date total 4004.2mm

with 217 days of rain this year ...

thats more than 2 out of every 3 days raining :angry:

29 consecutive days of rain :hmm:

and 365 mm so far already this month

and its been pouring all day

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It is about to piss down here. Came home early today!! We only get 3.5mm so far today, so any more is welcome...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Coolish day with clouds. 20.6C max. A couple of nights around 9C then up into double digits again and days in the mid to high twenties. Humidity looks like rising by the end of the week too.

Tyrone

Was a lovely 29C today and storms rolling in tonight. Took the day off to manure and mulch the garden. May as well work with poop at at home, rather than at work.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Was a lovely 29C today and storms rolling in tonight. Took the day off to manure and mulch the garden. May as well work with poop at at home, rather than at work.

Regards

Michael.

LOL. Your garden should take off with that sort of weather.

Sea breezes have been strong here lately and nippy. Going for a couple of 28's then a 32C, then cooler after that and mid twenties. A bit of rain on Thursday morning forecast.

Best regards

Tyrone

Today was the first day that looked like the rainy season. There was a lot of thunder over night. But,, in the moring the sky got real black and a nice rain poured down. The Negro river is at near record low water. But, it should start rising again in the next couple of weeks. One of the reasons is that the Amazon river is very low. And, it acts like a dam when it rises pushing up the water level of the Negro.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

HOT HOT & HOT here at the moment... 3 days without rain now and temperature & humidity are creeping up. Pity my cheap weather station is DEAD, so I can't tell you the maximum. But it was pretty close to 37-38, I think.... If rain doesn't return soon, mangoo madness will strike Darwin and it won't be pretty!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Going for 30C today. Then some morning showers tomorrow and Thursday, and cooler in the low twenties. Then gradually rising to a 33C on Monday.

This October is shaping up to be Perth's warmest October since 1969, with an average of 25C max vs the long term of 23C max temp. It's also turning out to be one of the driest. November is looking to be bone dry as well. November marks the beginning of what the local Aborigines call the "first summer" here. The "second summer" comes in Jan Feb when the cooker gets turned up a couple of notches. I think the "second summer" may come early this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think.... If rain doesn't return soon, mangoo madness will strike Darwin and it won't be pretty!!

LOL! We have grape and apple madness here if the summer doesn't go right. Must be the same everywhere, just different fruit.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Warm humid days now, about 28 average, then clouds late afternoon and early evening the rain pours down. Its a proper wet season, about the first one in 20 years, hope it keeps up the plants love it. Very bad tick season, I had never seen one until Ralf was bitten. He's been in hospital now just over a week. Vet bill is currently $4,500 and rising. 2 days after he was bitten the papers did a big article about the tick plague, too late for me of course.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.