IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyosperma album v. conjugatum

John in Andalucia

Seeds were purchased a couple of months ago from RPS. Surprisingly slow, none germinated yet out of 200 seeds. I'm used to buying regular D. album direct from Reunion which sprout in just a couple of weeks. Has anyone had any luck with these yet? Is this variation notoriously slow? I de-lidded one last week which produced a tiny button, so perhaps this is a much slower palm.

I have two small ones in my garden and I would say they grow at about 1/2 the rate of the other varieties. They are well worth the wait though. They are one of my favorites. BTW, Mike Harris FM(Caribbean Palms) grows these so maybe he can give you some further insight.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I've had one come up from that batch, but it looked a lot different to the standard D album. I hope it doesn't have a problem. Where it came out of the seed it was red, and the spear and ligule etc was a brown colour like a red indica. It seemed solid, so I doubt it's a fungal thing. That was a week ago, so I'll check it again today and see if it's progressed. If it's all gooey I'll know it wasn't OK. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for the updates Daryl and Rafael. I hope this isn't going to be another refund situation. Whilst I compliment the RPS readiness to replace seeds, I find it a gross waste of time. Somewhat improper too, when their website states, All seeds are completely fresh and viable. Although that statement is quickly contradicted in the same paragraph, to highlight the variation in germination rates. Hence, "completely fresh and viable" takes on a meaning all of its own.rolleyes.gif

Thanks Ron, for your input. I'll be interested to hear more if Mike Harris reads this.

I've had good luck with germination on fresh seed that I've picked myself. The shortest time for germination was FIVE WEEKS and this was in mid-summer hothouse heat.

The average time I've had is about 4 months for germination on D.album conjugatum/furfuracea. After the first germination I've had some 'pop' months later from seed I thought were spent.

Yes, they are slower than the 'regular' Hurricane but they are worth it!

Good luck.

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

I've had good luck with germination on fresh seed that I've picked myself. The shortest time for germination was FIVE WEEKS and this was in mid-summer hothouse heat.

The average time I've had is about 4 months for germination on D.album conjugatum/furfuracea. After the first germination I've had some 'pop' months later from seed I thought were spent.

Yes, they are slower than the 'regular' Hurricane but they are worth it!

Good luck.

That's encouraging, Mike. With 200 seeds in summer you expect at least one or two to open early. Needless to say, I'll probably find a few germinating the next time I look!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just checked, and i have three sprouted seeds!

Not bad, so far, John!

I found today I have 3 as well Rafael. Maybe these are slow like K. olivifromis, which plod along sprouting in ones and two's all year long!

Yes, maybe they are really slow, who can understand those timings?? :lol:

I hope we will be able to type, in a few weeks, more new sproutings... :)

My one little one is opening it's first leaf. I bought 20 seeds. Maybe more will follow. I'm glad it wasn't going mouldy. Beautiful little seedling which I will nurture. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

four months yesterday and still no sign of growth. i collected mine from under a mature parent tree. patience patience patiencerolleyes.gif

• 3 months later...

I've been collecting D.Album for a while here. The best results I get is from fresh seeds, with a three day soak and completely removing the tight husk. The seeds look "marbled" when I have finished cleaning them.

I then place these in a small pot and place it over my Wireless modem (I've taken the temp. a consistent 95F). Germination starts at 3 weeks.

Here are some photos from this past weekend's preparation and planting.

Fresh seeds: post-0-080711900 1292371353_thumb.jpg After 3 day soak and fruit removed: post-0-040862200 1292371413_thumb.jpg Removal of the husk: post-0-033985800 1292371461_thumb.jpg

Seeding in a 3x3 pot: post-0-095988400 1292371694_thumb.jpg Labeled/Dated/soil mix: post-0-075742400 1292371738_thumb.jpg

A seedling planted in July: post-0-004913300 1292371789_thumb.jpg

Bermuda (32N 64W)

Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Humidity (77% ave.)

Warm Season: (May-Nov): Max/Min 88F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Wet season Dec-April.

"What happens to you does not matter; what you become through those experiences is all that is significant. This is the true meaning of life."

I love Dictyosperma album palms. :)

Good luck to you folk propagating and growing. :greenthumb:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks BermudaPalm - an appropriate topic bump. I finally have 22 out of 200 seeds germinated of v. conjugatum. Something tells me that's not a bad result for this variant.

I ended up with 9 from 20 seeds from the RPS batch. I'm happy with that.

Best regards

Tyrone

my seeds were just starting to sprout before i went overseas for 3 weeks, they were misted too much by our house sitter and they surcumbed to fungus :(

A conjugatum, here in La Reunion Island, for the pleasure :D

GBPIX_photo_436282.jpg

NICE wub.gif

My D. album var. conjugatum did fine throuight this weeks 29 F degrees, but the Satakentia liukiunesis didn't. These had a little overhead protection from the other trees and have been in the ground for three years. However....

000_0199.jpg

these three year old plants are in 3 gallon pots in the nursery with no overhead protection and didn't fare as well. Some were scorched and others nearby weren't touched.

000_0203.jpg

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA