IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Juania australis today in Ireland

palmtreesforpleasure

I was up there to take a pic of the Juania seeing as I couldn't find one on my comp with the trunk showing... I saw a piece of bamboo laying near by and thought; "I wonder how many Palmtalkers I can wind up with this?".

I did think about doing it on the European palm society, but I didn't want anyones suicide on my conscience. :D

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

I was up there to take a pic of the Juania seeing as I couldn't find one on my comp with the trunk showing... I saw a piece of bamboo laying near by and thought; "I wonder how many Palmtalkers I can wind up with this?".

I did think about doing it on the European palm society, but I didn't want anyones suicide on my conscience. :D

You're terrible Muriel.

Growing palms in the warm temperate zone at 35°S latitude. Not much frost (or heat either), but plenty of wind and rain. Ave temp about 15.5°C (60°F), Rainfall about 1400mm (55 inches).

Too late...........can't stop the ble e d i n.............................

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

OK..... just Kiddin too.

Here is the"Other" Nice one in Ireland.

Regards Andy.

post-184-12807464320058_thumb.jpg

post-184-1280746443986_thumb.jpg

post-184-12807464554419_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

after a few years will grow a few more in Spain...I hope :drool:

Nice seedlings,Allex!:drool:

I also have some that I germinated from seeds sent from Chile by Juba. Mine are the same size as yours. Were you obtained your seeds?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

after a few years will grow a few more in Spain...I hope :drool:

Nice seedlings,Allex!:drool:

I also have some that I germinated from seeds sent from Chile by Juba. Mine are the same size as yours. Were you obtained your seeds?

I think we have the same and good friends... :D

regards

Sure got me for about 23 seconds. LOL! I think I almost had heart palpitations.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin,

Thanks for showing us these photos and for the words on culture. You are right, I don't think it's a plant for Southern California. But, for the right location (Bay Area in Nor Cal, Ireland, the right UK location, NZ, etc), what a beautiful species they might be able to grow. Your comments on the mist in the air and soil moisture are also important. Very cool.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

• 4 weeks later...

This is an amazing but temperamental palm!

I think i have excelent conditions to grow this one, but i cant find seeds or seedlings.

Anyone has tips about where to find it?

Video is good!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is an amazing but temperamental palm!

I think i have excelent conditions to grow this one, but i cant find seeds or seedlings.

Anyone has tips about where to find it?

I am not sure whether they ship Raphael but Amulree, here in the UK, have Juania small size and larger.

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately you "Missed the Boat" there Rafael, I think I got one of the last ones from Simon last August ( 2010)

Regards Andy.

post-184-096470400 1316691429_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJQ

post-184-098891200 1316786580_thumb.jpgpost-184-057344800 1316786569_thumb.jpg

Here it is planted in the spot where the Butyagrus used to be.

Regards Andy.

Edited by AJQ

Not sure what's going on with uploading these photos and then trying to edit the gremmlins..........:bemused::hmm:

really confused now as the photos are back to the original positions which is where I wanted them..............???

Mods, feel free to delete duplicate post.

Regards Andy.

post-184-035488000 1316786893_thumb.jpg

post-184-006064400 1316786908_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJQ

post-184-006064400 1316786908_thumb.jpgpost-184-035488000 1316786893_thumb.jpg

A couple more

Regards Andy.

WOW Andy!!! Thats a big and nice Juania!

I also could use a palm like this here......:mrlooney::rolleyes::D

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

That looks fab Andy I hope you/we get a mild one this year.

The one I had in the ground for 5 years I dug up this year, as it looked dead, after -11c and 2 weeks of day and night sub zero freezes its now back with 2 more leaves. :D

Juania australis is a surpringly hardy palm and my normal -6c winters it seemed to cope with.

Zone 8b

Central UK

Kev, I am also very surprised how hardy they are. Much better than Butyagrus which are very slow here.,where the Juanaia continues to plod along giving 3 to 4 leaves a year.

Regards Andy.

Here is mine after -11c

IMG_6473.jpg%20juania.jpg

This being the replacement of which I am still a little uncertain or not as to whether I leave it out this winter.

IMG_6472.jpg%20juania.jpg

Zone 8b

Central UK

Why you don´t make a little tent with heating inside for the worsest cold....

I´d never dig up a palm like this. It will set it back again....

-11C, Wow, that is impressive Kev, who'd have thought these were going to be so tough.

I think the larger the specimen the better chance of recovery on these. It was a shame that my smaller one had not been in the ground a wee bit longer, still may have been around ortherwise.

Regards Andy.

• 9 years later...
On 7/21/2010 at 6:07 PM, palmtreesforpleasure said:

this evening in the rain 17c, high temperature of the day, in a private Dublin Garden the amazing site of a Juania australis was seen. Only heard about it yesterday and was lucky to find it 10 klm from where we were. This is a palm worth seeing, very attractive and hopefully will have an increasing population around the world to ensure its survival.

They are also dioecious so multi planting would be a must create seed in the future.

It is about 4-5m tall with green leaves in offset all the way to the earth and is without a trunk. The microclimate has been created by using a dry stone wall about 1.8m tall. This wall appears to be preventing the soil from being wet. When scraping away about 3-5mm of topsoil the ground was dry. It very rarely gets above 20c, occasional 25c but is protected from that temperature by surrounding tree cover.

The growing of this palm was a methodically planned event by Professor David Robinson BSc(Hort), MS, PhD, VMM, FI(Hort) who was involved in plant research.

this helps understand how this palm grows in Ireland and gives us all a lesson on proper planning in creating mini climates.

the website for this garden is http://www.earlsclif...id_robinson.htm

The family continue to look after the garden when they get home from work and time permits.

enjoy the pictures, what a palm!!

regards

Colin

post-197-12797497017164_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497166545_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497349526_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497768318_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797499225482_thumb.jpg

Wow.

Nothing to say here. 

Impressive for Dublin! I thought they only grew in the south coast of Ireland.

Nothing to say here. 

Update?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We tried to visit exactly a year ago sadly the owners of the now private garden turned our request down to check it out

Zone 8b

Central UK

That’s impressive! Most of the specimens I’ve seen haven’t been all that attractive, but given the right circumstance, it’s an attractive palm.

Tim 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice looking palm and that pic was 5 years ago I wonder if they ever tried to pollinate it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8b

Central UK

This is a beautiful species to grow in the right circumstances. As it won’t grow in traditional palmy locations seeing one at all, let alone one that is thriving is very rare. I think it gets a bad rap purely because of that not because it’s a butt ugly palm. I’ve seen many butt ugly Ravenea rivularis treated badly too, but the species is beautiful.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2021 at 6:35 PM, Tyrone said:

This is a beautiful species to grow in the right circumstances. As it won’t grow in traditional palmy locations seeing one at all, let alone one that is thriving is very rare. I think it gets a bad rap purely because of that not because it’s a butt ugly palm. I’ve seen many butt ugly Ravenea rivularis treated badly too, but the species is beautiful.

Agreed, even the individuals with nutrient deficiencies and whatnot have flawless smooth green trunks that rival those rare Dypsis.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 9 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, Kev Spence said:

We tried to visit exactly a year ago sadly the owners of the now private garden turned our request down to check it out

Hi Kev, firstly, although the garden has always been private,  we can't remember turning down any request from an enthusiast to come and see our wonderful palm. Therefore, you are more than welcome to come and visit next time you are in the area. 

Regards

David Foley, Earlscliffe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atellyer said:

Hi Kev, firstly, although the garden has always been private,  we can't remember turning down any request from an enthusiast to come and see our wonderful palm. Therefore, you are more than welcome to come and visit next time you are in the area. 

Regards

David Foley, Earlscliffe.

Good to see you here David and thanks for updating us with your magnificent Juania. 

I visited you back in late November 2019 I think it was, when I was working in Dublin and remember spending a couple of hours with you visiting the garden. 

I hope you and the garden are in good health. 

Kind regards 

Vic

ps: how are those seedlings doing I posted to you?

2 minutes ago, Vic said:

ps: how are those seedlings doing I posted to you?

Hi Vic, they are all surviving. They are on a south facing bank, doing that typical palm slow start, but alive! You are welcome to come back and visit them!

4 minutes ago, Atellyer said:

Hi Vic, they are all surviving. They are on a south facing bank, doing that typical palm slow start, but alive! You are welcome to come back and visit them!

Great! My days of working in Ireland are over post Covid sadly. But one day I’ll return for sure and pay you another visit. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 4:04 PM, Atellyer said:

The plant at Earlscliffe is going strong.  It is now over 10 metres tall and still growing!

David
Earlscliffe

image001.jpg

Where else are there any Juania around Dublin? Or Ireland? There’s an increasing number of decent sized Phoenix now but you just don’t see any pinnate palms aside from them and a few Butia. Maybe I am not noticing.

• Like 2