IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Juania australis today in Ireland

palmtreesforpleasure

this evening in the rain 17c, high temperature of the day, in a private Dublin Garden the amazing site of a Juania australis was seen. Only heard about it yesterday and was lucky to find it 10 klm from where we were. This is a palm worth seeing, very attractive and hopefully will have an increasing population around the world to ensure its survival.

They are also dioecious so multi planting would be a must create seed in the future.

It is about 4-5m tall with green leaves in offset all the way to the earth and is without a trunk. The microclimate has been created by using a dry stone wall about 1.8m tall. This wall appears to be preventing the soil from being wet. When scraping away about 3-5mm of topsoil the ground was dry. It very rarely gets above 20c, occasional 25c but is protected from that temperature by surrounding tree cover.

The growing of this palm was a methodically planned event by Professor David Robinson BSc(Hort), MS, PhD, VMM, FI(Hort) who was involved in plant research.

this helps understand how this palm grows in Ireland and gives us all a lesson on proper planning in creating mini climates.

the website for this garden is http://www.earlsclif...id_robinson.htm

The family continue to look after the garden when they get home from work and time permits.

enjoy the pictures, what a palm!!

regards

Colin

post-197-12797497017164_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497166545_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497349526_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797497768318_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797499225482_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Also heard there is some growing in San Francisco, if so, does any one have any pictures?

here are the last ones from Dublin

regards

Colin

post-197-12797503702667_thumb.jpg

post-197-1279750391463_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797504204766_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797504432217_thumb.jpg

post-197-12797504600936_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Colin,

Look for pictures of the Don Worth garden on the forum. They would have been posted around May last year. The Northern California Palm Society had a meeting there and there were several Juania in the garden. The tree you posted is much larger than the ones at the Worth residence (and they were probably 20 years old).

Also heard there is some growing in San Francisco, if so, does any one have any pictures?

here are the last ones from Dublin

regards

Colin

Edited by iwan

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

SCREAM

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Amazing.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

MAN! that is one cool looking palm. Rare here in the US, and just a little to tender for my garden.

Those are the best pictures I've seen. Very Cool.

Edited by Palm crazy

Yours look great, much better than our examples here in Northern California. This one is growing in the San Francisco Botanical Gardens:

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I have some pictures of the three plants at the Lakeside Palmetum in Oakland but theyve been moved and I cant find them. They are much smaller and not as robust as the plants in the post.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

That's amazing. I was just thinking back to the "most suitable climate/area to grow palms in" thread, and a few said rightly it depends what type of palm you want to grow. For Juania, Ireland is the best place by the looks of it. Amazing.

I haven't got a hope in hell to grow that here.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Glen

thanks for the pictures

Robert

will have to look up the thread

This palm is about 150m from a 150m cliff facing the ocean, Trees and shrubs protect it,the gulf stream hits the coast at this location.

The rainfall is 650mm per year. Much of it is a fine mist so humidity is fairly constant. Then it also has the sea moisture as well. It is in a unique location.It appears it would not like a lot of heat, especially dry heat.

It is now one of my favourite palms. The more you look at it in detail, the more it casts a spell.

needs to be in more botanical gardens as they are slow, many of us will not be around long enough in the same garden to see them fruit.The thought of the next owner of your property chainsawing down a 30 year old group planting is an ugly thought.

Hopefully some of you can replicate the conditions if you ever find some.

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi Colin, WOW...Thank you for sharing the excitement of seeing such a beautiful well grown palm outside its comfort zone.Its inspiring to know that there are growers out there willing to test the limits and to think outside the square to create a microclimate.I dont know if its a spell being cast by those photos or a virus over the internet but iam starting to drool already. :drool: regards Craig.

Very interesting palm Colin. A real rarity. Thanks for the post.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Double Wowza Col, what a bewdy..thanks for posting and thanks to the grower, to be sure, to be sure..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Magical. Never seen one so large & healthy. Worthy of a whole grove of Juanias alone.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for sharing un updated photo of this palm!!

The same palm (march 24 2009) with somebody for scale.

My seedlings have now the second leave.............

post-465-12798098715107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Obviously the climate there is very suitable. Many more should be planted in a grove as a repository for the species and in other locations in Ireland.

Anyway to get Bono or U2 to sponsor the project ??? :)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm kind of freaked out that it's growing with Dodonaea viscosa, a shrub that's native to Florida, the US southwest, Hawaii, Australia....

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

There is a nice one growing in Bangor "Norin Iron" too ;-)

Rgds Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

What is the little fan palm in front of the Juania?

Compared to the photo from march 2009 it suffered damage from frost probably.....?.....

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I don't know what temps this beauty has seen recently, but I think Dr. Robinson said it took around -7.5 C/18.5 F in 1997(?) when it had only been in the ground for a year or two -- with little or no damage!

I've killed five of these -- two from Phil in SD and three from Chile -- and I think it's 'cause I desperately kept them wet to "protect" them during hot spells, which seemed to cause their decline and death from rot.

On their native island they live in mostly shady moist high canyons and get a ton of summer mist and fog from the cold Pacific a mile or less away. You can see how the Irish coast or any other mild marine climate could support a carefully grown juania.

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

Thanks for the updated view of this fabulous palm Colin and it looks well considering the UK and Ireland had a most severe winter this year.

My own Juania was hit quite hard burning all but 2 leaves this year, our coldest winter for 31 years, bit it has come back quite well considering and with a strong spear........my Butia 15 feet tall has lost its spear though which you would have thought to be more cold hardy. :(

We have a few more smaller Juania growing on our south coast, here in England, hopefully they will come through the years to possibly seed and fruit.

Again all the photos I have are on our Growing on the Edge forum HERE

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the link,

nice to know they are growing somewhere else.

Some more information about this palm in Dublin

1/ It is the fastest growing palm in the gardens

2/ several species of phoenix are in trouble from the coldest winter in years, the spears have pulled out.

3/ the Washingtonia filfera looks as dead as some of the Phoenix species

4/Survivors are Jubea chilensis , Trachycarpus fortunei, a couple of Phoenix, not sure of the species

5/Saw about 5 species of trees dead and about 5 others look dead, but new shoots are forming at the bottom of those last 5, these trees have been there for years

6/ Some unprotected Australian snow gums died from the cold last winter

The Juania australis has no damage at all!

still hard to believe, comes under the comment.........' if i had not seen it, i wouldn't believe it'

If anyone can find a few , get them into a botanical garden, so in 3 generations from now, people can see them seeding and ensure their future.

regards

colin

There is no damage at all

• Like 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Photos of the Juania from the San Francisco Botanical Garden. I took these in February of this year. It shows a couple of feet of clear trunk. If I remember correctly, Darold told me that this is one of the very few trunking ones outside of the habitat.

post-3501-12798445517664_thumb.jpg

post-3501-12798445894352_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots and an article of one flowering in New Zealand.

La Chonta Palm... Flowering for the first time

That is impressive Michael. I hope he has a female in there amongst those six which will trunk and fruit soon. What an achievement.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow Colin what a visual treat, are you jetsetting again?

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

The Juania at Landsendt looks a lot healthier than the one growing in San Francisco....

Glad you managed to find it Colin, that was quick work! Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday.

Michael, SW Ireland, cool oceanic climate

16 yr absolute min -3c, 16 yr absolute max +28c

July av. max/min 20/14c, January av. max/min 10/6c

Hi Alberto;

You are correct, the Juania in San Francisco is severely deficient in potassium. Our city has a budget crisis, and many gardeners have been fired. I believe that the entire Botanic Garden of approximately 11 hectares has only 4 or 5 workers. I should go there and apply some potassium myself ! :mrlooney:

San Francisco, California

Hi Alberto;

You are correct, the Juania in San Francisco is severely deficient in potassium. Our city has a budget crisis, and many gardeners have been fired. I believe that the entire Botanic Garden of approximately 11 hectares has only 4 or 5 workers. I should go there and apply some potassium myself ! :mrlooney:

What a shame!!!

This rare palm suffering a K deficiency!! If I could I´d give it some food!:mrlooney::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You are kidding, that is crazy.....

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon

OMG Do they not realise how rare and expensive that palm was, over here in the Uk that would probably have sold for £1000, I am sure you guys would have put a good bid in for it to.

I am kind of hoping you are winding us up but if so its sure not funny. :(

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

OMG Do they not realise how rare and expensive that palm was, over here in the Uk that would probably have sold for £1000, I am sure you guys would have put a good bid in for it to.

I am kind of hoping you are winding us up but if so its sure not funny. :(

Yeah, of course he is winding you up. Dick Endt would never cut his only trunking Juania. Nice shot of a bamboo Michael. Was this one growing in your garden? :winkie:

Auckland, New Zealand

Glad it is bamboo!!

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon