IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Loran Whitelock

freakypalmguy

Oh yes, any pics of a Mac. Mcdonellii (sp) ?

Like Matt said it was off the path tucked back in behind large plants, and I didn't think I could get a decent shot. Its to bad its not out in a prominent spot ! but... To wet your appetite here are some pics of one I frequent... :D

Dave, do you (or anyone else here) know how cold-hardy this species is?

Jody

Oh yes, any pics of a Mac. Mcdonellii (sp) ?

Like Matt said it was off the path tucked back in behind large plants, and I didn't think I could get a decent shot. Its to bad its not out in a prominent spot ! but... To wet your appetite here are some pics of one I frequent... :D

Dave, do you (or anyone else here) know how cold-hardy this species is?

Jody

Hi Jody,

I think your asking about the Macrozamia Macdonnellii. We got down to 27F in the 2007 freeze and there were no signs of any effect. You should consider that night time lows are brief-the last hour or two before sun up, and our day time temps come up very quickly once the sun rises. So it may not be the same for areas with very low temps that remain for longer periods ( night and day ). There is apparently some of these plants in Lake Elsinore and they would have seen even lower temps out there. I know someone in Lake elsinore that registered 23F in the 07 Freeze.

Hope that helps.

Dave

What a beautiful, spectacular garden! Both of you are very lucky to get that tour. I think I wore the wheel out on my mouse.

WOW, THIS GARDEN IS LIK WALKING IN HEAVEN, IM SURE! IM ATTATCHING A FOTO OF TRANSVENOSUS, SOUTPANSBERG FORM IN HABITAT, ENJOY!

WOW, THIS GARDEN IS LIK WALKING IN HEAVEN, IM SURE! IM ATTATCHING A FOTO OF TRANSVENOSUS, SOUTPANSBERG FORM IN HABITAT, ENJOY!

Nothing attached to your note.

Gene

Great photos of the greatest cycad garden and its owner! I've been there and still can't believe my eyes. Thanks for shareing. :drool:

I'd have to ditto the words of Robert (above). Loren Whitelock's cycad collection can't be beat! I'm due for another visit next time I hit the Los Angeles area. Thanks for your great pics and sharing with everyone here on Palmtalk.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about my pictures being down for a while, I posted them to photobucket and my monthly bandwidth ran out, but now it should be good to go.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Good Lord!!!! :blink::o

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow, what an incredible garden. You really captured the aesthetics of the place.

Matt, I spoke with Dean about a week or so ago and I wanted to see these photos. As you know, they were not up at that time. He told me to send Matt a PM. Well being pretty new here and not asking Bo-Göran (BGL) everything, I thought it was the other Matt! I did not send him a PM :) because, I did not remember where the thread was and could not find the thread under MattyB.

I'm glad I found the thread and the photos are now visible again.

Great work!

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Was that pictures of the same six plants over and over again?

Just kidding ha ha

Nice place.

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

Wow, what an incredible garden. You really captured the aesthetics of the place.

Matt, I spoke with Dean about a week or so ago and I wanted to see these photos. As you know, they were not up at that time. He told me to send Matt a PM. Well being pretty new here and not asking Bo-Göran (BGL) everything, I thought it was the other Matt! I did not send him a PM :) because, I did not remember where the thread was and could not find the thread under MattyB.

I'm glad I found the thread and the photos are now visible again.

Great work!

Karolyn

Hi Karolyn,

Sorry the pictures were down for a bit, its one of the drawbacks to using Photobucket. They should be up for good now. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...

Loran has created one of the finest private gardens in the world.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Wow Matt - a wonderful presentation of the Cycad Guru's garden. I am speechless! wub.gif

Dave's swoon was terminal Ken. ohmy.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 7 months later...

Bump! Wow, just saw this thread for the first time. Speechless............thanks Matt,& Dave!

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 year later...

I'm sure this garden is frost-free most years, although it could potentially suffer a very rare frost in low spots.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks. I show on web that it is located in Glendale, north suburb of Los Angeles. Some frost has been received this winter in this area. Right? Anymay. Any information is welcome.

JM

Thanks. I show on web that it is located in Glendale, north suburb of Los Angeles. Some frost has been received this winter in this area. Right? Anymay. Any information is welcome.

JM

I don't think that he gets frost. He's up on a hillside and I believe he is above the frost line (Remember heat rises). So he is in a sort of microclimate. However most cycads are pretty hardy. I've lost a few because of lack of drainage and too much moisture.

I live around 5 minutes from Whitelock and it got down to 32F a few weeks ago. My friend lives only a few blocks away from Whitelock and he got down to at least freezing as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if Whitelock also experienced some cold damage.

I had a dream (but I ignored it...)

Loran experiences frost every year in his garden... some years worse than others of course, but I have yet to visit his garden during a winter when he has NOT had frost. Gets pretty darn cold sometimes, too.. his monstrose Z furfuracea is frequently badly damaged and nearly defoliated at times. And that is at the TOP of his property... still, it's in a great microclimate as frost rarely sits long.

OK, many thanks for your detail. I was thinking that Loran use rain cover during the winter.

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel