IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where's Summer

happ

92 today, 96 tomorrow, 98 on Sun, Mon, Tues....with more heat to come.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

92 today, 96 tomorrow, 98 on Sun, Mon, Tues....with more heat to come.....

High 90fs here too for the next few days. Its good to see warm weather since our spring and summer has been unusually cool. Hopefully next year will be warmer.

Forecast from NAOO. This summer just won't quit :( A lot of plants here stop growing in the summer because of the heat. Once the highs are in the 90s the plants come alive :D Can't wait!!

Saturday 101F

Sunday 102F

Monday 103F

Tuesday 104F

Wednesday 102F

Thursday 102F

Friday 100F

http://forecast.weat...n&FcstType=text

Edited by velutina

Adam 

Recorded the warmest day of the year today at 101F \ 38.3C but tomorrow into early next week may be even warmer. Normally September brings the hottest temps so it is not unusual even in a year that has been the coolest on record for much of coastal California.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

We hit 99.9F yesterday with no breeze.

At 9:30am we're already at 91F and the dry air is heating up quickly. I think it'll be hotter today if the air stays still.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

99.2F, 11:00am. If this wind doesn't start to just blow a tiny bit we're gonna be in for dangerous heat by this afternoon.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

102F, 11:22am. RH is at 18%

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

87 in HB @ 11:43...Today might turn out to be the hottest day of the year for us.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

OK a billion degrees!

Actual temp, from a thermometer, currently 12:10pm

Lemon Grove, 102F, 18% RH

Spring Valley, 103F, 9% RH (the dirt and brush canyon make a big difference in the dryness)

SW breeze just kicked in so hopefully we've topped out and won't get any hotter.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

OK a billion degrees!

Actual temp, from a thermometer, currently 12:10pm

Lemon Grove, 102F, 18% RH

Spring Valley, 103F, 9% RH (the dirt and brush canyon make a big difference in the dryness)

SW breeze just kicked in so hopefully we've topped out and won't get any hotter.

Both my thermometers read 98F at noon. Instead of handwatering I went around since early this am with a sprinkler. I was sitting on a path smoking a cigar while the sprinkler was going under a pepper tree. There was a whole flock of these little finches in the trees behind me and musta been around a 100 hummingbirds buzzing through the sprinkler and relaxing in the pepper tree. I ain't gonna work on the path today.

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

No work outside today Ron, I don't blame ya. I'm gonna have some ice cream.

Lemon Grove now 97F. Just 30 minutes of a breeze and it's dropped 5F. Amazing what that stirring of the air does.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

How are the palms taking that heat Matty ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Apparently Trioderobs palms are "exploding"!

Mine are doing great and growing steadily. As long as I water during the heat, and it stays under 105F, everything seems to do just fine.

Normally the temp rises throughout the day but it's still going down. It's 95F now @ 1:00pm. Weird.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

94F now @ 1:22pm. I'm trippin' home sizzlets. I don't think I've ever seen such a dramatic mid-day cool down.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ungodly heat today. Downtown Los Angeles is 113F\ 45C w/ similar temperatures up and down the coast of southern California. This type of heat can definitely cause burning. It is so hot that I am too much of a wuss to even go outside to water down the palms but will do it soon. The morning minimum was 80F\ 26.6C.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yeah, it was around 80F this morning which I've never seen it that hot in the morning.

We're back up to 101F again @ 2:30pm as the wind has died down.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Mine are doing great and growing steadily. As long as I water during the heat, and it stays under 105F, everything seems to do just fine.

Normally the temp rises throughout the day but it's still going down. It's 95F now @ 1:00pm. Weird.

bismarkia is going nuts.

decipiens too.

the frickin Dypsis madagascariensis and teddy bear are not doing anything

Patience grasshoppah; one day summer does not a palm make.

Lemon Grove, 3:40pm and we're back up to 105F. Wackadoodle temp dip today. :blink:

EDIT!!!!

Ooops,

The sun angle was just right that a beam was coming through a gap in the patio cover and hitting the wood that the sensor is mounted on. I used a hand held in the shade and it's 96F. So it did cool down in the middle of the day but the heat back up wasn't as dramatic as I thought. Next thing ya know I'll be using a wheelbarrow as a rain gauge. Ghetto weather station.

post-126-070231100 1285625622_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

After hitting 105.3F at 1pm, it's still quite hot at 102.7F at 4pm. I think my winter nemesis, the San Luis Rey River, is channeling Temecula heat to the ocean and I'm right in it's path.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

At 4:10 PM it's 95.1 F in San Francisco, and the "official" temp in Walnut Creek is 103.5. My temp probe in the shade is reading 108F. A brown out or black out would not surprise me this afternoon.

Dick

Richard Douglas

top temp right on the beach today ?

107 F

here is why:

Balfour said today's unusual heat at the coast was caused by a series of events that began last week when high pressure began to build over California. At the same time that was happening, a low pressure system was starting to form offshore. Usually, the low pressure forms in the Imperial Valley. But Balfour said the low moved to San Clemente, Santa Catalina and Santa Rose Islands.

Scripps Pier cam

Generally speaking, air sinks, moving from a high to a low. So the dry winds created by the high pressure system flowed all the way to the coast, and beyond, instead of just to the desert. Those winds also heated the atmosphere. And the winds sank lower to the ground. Usually, the inversion layer -- an area where warm air sits on top of cooler air -- is at about 1,500 feet at this time of year. But the inversion was at 500 feet at 4 a.m. today. And the temperature at that altitude was 95 degrees. The temperature on the ground, at Lindbergh Field in San Diego, was 71 degrees. As the sun rose, the ground warmed up, causing the air the air to rise. And that warm air mixed with the hot air from the inversion.

"Wham-o, we had hot temperatures right away," said Balfour.

Edited by trioderob

After hitting 105.3F at 1pm, it's still quite hot at 102.7F at 4pm. I think my winter nemesis, the San Luis Rey River, is channeling Temecula heat to the ocean and I'm right in it's path.

It's alllllllways Temecula's fault :mrlooney::D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

We got so hot today, I think some of my cycads even melted

IMAG0302.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

bismarkia is going nuts.

decipiens too.

the frickin Dypsis madagascariensis and teddy bear are not doing anything

what do you mean by "going nuts?"

how are you measuring this? :hmm:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Weird. Los Angeles must have melted.

Must be a bit like western Oregon, usually once every summer. An east wind makes eastern Oregon have an Arizona-type monsoon, while the wind crossing the Cascades descends and dries out everything in western Oregon. 100 degrees or so.

Locally, the record high is 102.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Well, we cooled down to the mid-80s today but the humidity was almost Florida like. Palms must have liked it. Me, not so much.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It would be great if it rained; plenty of lightning this evening but no showers so far. Actually dry lightning is the last thing we need since the dry brush is just waiting to burst into flame. Better chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. Nice cooldown today.

Hi: 93F\ 33.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Woke up to massive thunderheads to the east, and it's been raining off and on all morning. Nice lightning too.

post-662-002145700 1285875554_thumb.jpg

post-662-060025500 1285875565_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I can't remember the last time we had this much thunderstorm activity in San Diego. We're getting rain and more than just a single downpour. It's rained off and on all day. .08" of measurable rain in Lemon Grove so far today. It feels like Florida. I drove across the Coronado Bay Bridge today and looking across the east county there was rain falling all over the place.

There is a roofing crew next door in the rain, and lightning, roofing the house.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Send some of that rain up our way . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ungodly heat today. Downtown Los Angeles is 113F\ 45C w/ similar temperatures up and down the coast of southern California. This type of heat can definitely cause burning. It is so hot that I am too much of a wuss to even go outside to water down the palms but will do it soon. The morning minimum was 80F\ 26.6C.

That sort of heat is painful. Impossible to keep everything moist in those temps. Everything drinks the water like mad in those temps. Also once you get above 40C all those things that you thought were sun hardened and looked pristine, are suddenly fading, some things maybe totally defoliated. It's one reason I have dense canopy here, but you still can't protect everything. Dry winds with those temps are fatal, so if it's still, you can say it could be worse.

Also if it's too hot to go out and water the palms, give yourself a good watering down, then go out and water your palms. :D Much more pleasant.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I can't remember the last time we had this much thunderstorm activity in San Diego. We're getting rain and more than just a single downpour. It's rained off and on all day. .08" of measurable rain in Lemon Grove so far today. It feels like Florida. I drove across the Coronado Bay Bridge today and looking across the east county there was rain falling all over the place.

There is a roofing crew next door in the rain, and lightning, roofing the house.

matt-

talking about lightning in san diego.

very rare to get this much.

but 20 years ago I was hit by a severe HAIL storm on 15 near mission valley.

that was the most wild weather I have seen in 35 years in san diego.

also years back there was a freak storm hit san ysidro and they got a inch of rain in

15 minutes, a once in thousand year storm !

I remember a hail storm that put so much hail down that it looked like snow. It stayed on the ground for 5 or 6 hours. Cars were making tracks in the street and we made a "snowman" out of hail. This was about 20 years ago.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That sort of heat is painful. Impossible to keep everything moist in those temps. Everything drinks the water like mad in those temps. Also once you get above 40C all those things that you thought were sun hardened and looked pristine, are suddenly fading, some things maybe totally defoliated. It's one reason I have dense canopy here, but you still can't protect everything. Dry winds with those temps are fatal, so if it's still, you can say it could be worse.

Also if it's too hot to go out and water the palms, give yourself a good watering down, then go out and water your palms. :D Much more pleasant.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

The extreme heat is over and there is some damage but so far it doesn't look too bad. It turned humid the following day after the 113F\ 45C and has stayed moist and warm but not hot [no readings over 100F\ 37.7C]. Some pretty violent thunderstorms continue to circulate w/ lots of lightning but only brief light showers each day. Maybe the lack of wind and a quick transition to humid conditions has helped keep the palm damage to a minimum.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

i had shrapnel damage from "growth explosions," otherwise everything is fine. B)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It's so weird that everything is wet but it's warm outside. The only time my entire yard and mulch is wet is usually when it's cold. I love it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 1 month later...

Summer is a rare thing here, always to short Before you know it the first signs of melancholic autumn apair again...

Alexander