IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where's Summer

happ

Tropical downpour here early this evening. Very, very nice. :mrlooney:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

No downpour here John, but we had a steady light rain for a solid 30 minutes. I thought it was gonna stop after a few minutes but it just kept going. All the talcum powder like dust at my place got knocked down. It was so nice.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

it was very enjoyable. i was working in the yard at the time & didnt mind getting rained on.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

that wasn't rain

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

stop typing like me. :angry:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

No rain up in metro LA yet though the San Gabriel valley had a thunderstorm and heavy rainfall in Mojave desert\ Palmdale. Maybe some showers overnight as the moisture continues to move northwest. Muggy night.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

100.6 today in Lemon Grove. 99.5 in Spring Valley. I drove to El Cajon to run an errand and it said 103 on the car thermometer even while I was going 70 MPH

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's Back! :lol: The marine layer that is. Actually there hasn't been much stratus the last couple days but the temperature has stayed quite cool after one week of heat. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/us/25laheat.html?_r=1&hp

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's Back! :lol: The marine layer that is. Actually there hasn't been much stratus the last couple days but the temperature has stayed quite cool after one week of heat. Here's an interesting article:

Read the article. That's actually depressing and I hope doesn't happen down here in Oz in 6 months. But then we've had a record cold winter vs So Cal's mild winter, so maybe we'll get Floridian heat this summer, as they had record cold last winter too.

21C and blue skies today. One of the better Perth winter days.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Read the article. That's actually depressing and I hope doesn't happen down here in Oz in 6 months. But then we've had a record cold winter vs So Cal's mild winter, so maybe we'll get Floridian heat this summer, as they had record cold last winter too.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think I asked you once if Perth has ever had a cool summer but defining cool isn't easy. Worldwide June was the warmest ever which is strange considering that it certainly wasn't very warm along the California coast. It's funny that people living inland from the ocean by 10 or 20 miles are raving about summer because instead of 90's [32-37C] it has been in the 80's [26-31C]. But those living quite close to the Pacific have not really experienced anything resembling summer; mostly upper 60's-mid 70's [20-23C] and lots of clouds.

Sorry to hear about the cold weather in Western Australia. Looks like a La Nina pattern is setting up which means a dry winter for California :( How does a La Nina usually effect Australia, Tyrone?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I won't mention my mid-winter temperatures, I'll just "suffer" in silence biggrin.gif ...... oops, or should that be sad.gif ? No, I'll stick with biggrin.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

I think I asked you once if Perth has ever had a cool summer but defining cool isn't easy. Worldwide June was the warmest ever which is strange considering that it certainly wasn't very warm along the California coast. It's funny that people living inland from the ocean by 10 or 20 miles are raving about summer because instead of 90's [32-37C] it has been in the 80's [26-31C]. But those living quite close to the Pacific have not really experienced anything resembling summer; mostly upper 60's-mid 70's [20-23C] and lots of clouds.

Sorry to hear about the cold weather in Western Australia. Looks like a La Nina pattern is setting up which means a dry winter for California :( How does a La Nina usually effect Australia, Tyrone?

A cool summer in Perth is one that doesn't get past 100F 38C. That hasn't happened since 1997.

La Nina in eastern Australia makes NSW and QLD wetter than average. It makes little difference to Victoria or SA. It has some effect on the Northern Territory and some effect on WA. WA can go either way in a LA Nina year as it's more effected by the Indian Ocean than the Pacific.

Talking about cold weather, I went out to a Palm Nursery south of Perth and they saw -5C!!!!!!!. Well that's what he said. He at least saw -3C. Many Archontophoenix have damage and even a Zamia furfuracea was badly fried. The Golden Canes looked torched. Amazingly the Ravenea rivularis were virtually untouched.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I won't mention my mid-winter temperatures, I'll just "suffer" in silence biggrin.gif ...... oops, or should that be sad.gif ? No, I'll stick with biggrin.gif

You don't get winter mate. You're all soft and molly coddled like a Cyrtostachys in a heated hothouse up there. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

A cool summer in Perth is one that doesn't get past 100F 38C. That hasn't happened since 1997.

La Nina in eastern Australia makes NSW and QLD wetter than average. It makes little difference to Victoria or SA. It has some effect on the Northern Territory and some effect on WA. WA can go either way in a LA Nina year as it's more effected by the Indian Ocean than the Pacific.

Talking about cold weather, I went out to a Palm Nursery south of Perth and they saw -5C!!!!!!!. Well that's what he said. He at least saw -3C. Many Archontophoenix have damage and even a Zamia furfuracea was badly fried. The Golden Canes looked torched. Amazingly the Ravenea rivularis were virtually untouched.

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, those are really cold temps that remind me of what happened in parts of California in 2007. I think ravenea seem to hold up a little better than archontophoenix during sub-freezing temps. I did not experience frost in 2007 so both these palms were fine at my house but down in the canyon below me these palm species burned badly yet came back nicely.

Yesterday's maximum was 81F\ 27.2C [normal: 88F\ 31.1C]. Over the past 6 days temps have been in the low 80's and today should be more of the same.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, I know that the plants I'm going to buy off him that are unscathed are the tough ones. :D Admittedly his nursery is on the flats with no protection at all. That freeze or freezes that he had were all totally clear windless nights, so all radiational. The area 40-140km south of Perth on the flats can get incredibly cold on nights like that for some reason. Go further south and there is generally cloud cover and rain so they don't get as cold.

I hope August is nice and hot and steamy for your palms Happ, and that it stays warm right up into October, November and beyond. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Happ, I know that the plants I'm going to buy off him that are unscathed are the tough ones. :D Admittedly his nursery is on the flats with no protection at all. That freeze or freezes that he had were all totally clear windless nights, so all radiational. The area 40-140km south of Perth on the flats can get incredibly cold on nights like that for some reason. Go further south and there is generally cloud cover and rain so they don't get as cold.

I hope August is nice and hot and steamy for your palms Happ, and that it stays warm right up into October, November and beyond. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I've never quite understood the notion that if a palm survives one freeze that it makes them "tough" to handle a subsequent freeze. Is there a genetic factor, Tyrone?

It's anyone guess what August will bring. If past history is a guide then we will warm up but it seems that overall weather patterns are stubbornly set and I would not be at all surprised if next month is as cool as June and July have been. The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration monthly models haven't been very accurate this summer at least for the California coast. There's some monsoon moisture moving toward SoCal but appears to be weak so this week should be a repeat of last week: dry and 5-10 degree fahrenheit below normal. Oh well.

Maximum: 81F\ 27.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, I just thought that if a bunch of plants are all subjected to the same conditions, and in a freezing event some burnt and other's didn't, it would highlight that the less damaged ones are genetically stronger. Anyway where these plants will go will be extremely well protected and they won't see anything below 2C for the rest of their lives.

Best regards

Tyrone

The temps in N. Calif are holding true to what's happening in S. Calif. I heard on the news that inland valleys around SF are 10 to 12 degrees below normal for this time of the year. That's fine with me as "normal" would be in the 90's. 80 to mid 80's is very comfortable for humans and palms, but my night temps are dropping to the mid 50's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

So, can anyone tell me when we are going to have more than a couple of days of normal temps. I am getting way over this summer as winter gets closer every day. It is almost too late to have any sort of normal growth this season with all the cold weather around. Ice age is setting in. The good news for everyone else is that it's only here.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

So, can anyone tell me when we are going to have more than a couple of days of normal temps. I am getting way over this summer as winter gets closer every day. It is almost too late to have any sort of normal growth this season with all the cold weather around. Ice age is setting in. The good news for everyone else is that it's only here.

I feel really sad for you coast-side gardeners. If it is 10 degrees below normal inland it still is in the 80's but that translates to barely 70's for near-ocean gardens. This July was the coolest I have ever recorded in the 30 yrs I've been keeping records. Looking over the data of past summers, cool Junes were rarely followed by cool Julys and never followed by cool Augusts [cool meaning 5+ degrees below normal]. But I don't see anything on the horizon that suggests a change in the current pattern. Weak upper level troughs right along the coastline have suppressed both day & night temperatures and even the ocean temps are now running at least 5 degrees below normal. :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

small news story link

Coldest July in San Diego in nearly 100 years! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

its been kind of crazy in san diego this summer.

I work right on the coast and it has been in the 60s to mid 70s tops - all the way into August.

there were only 3 days in the month of July that were sunny at the beach.

at my house near lemon grove it has been in the upper 70s most of summer and sunny from 10 am - 7 pm

even at my house 7 miles inland I did not see early morning sun all of July.

to give you an idea how much cooler it is this year from last, this year I have used my air conditioner 3 times

at this point last year it would have been 40 times !

Edited by trioderob

I just drove from Coronado to Lemon Grove and it went from 70F to 80F in a span of 9 miles.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The high today in Walnut Creek is 91F and the weather people say this will be the warmest day for THE NEXT 10 DAYS. The persistent trough hangs off the west coast. Actually, for me, it's perfect palm growing weather, but the night time lows are still dipping to the mid 50's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Unbelievably, the few days of near normal temps will soon end as a vigorous trough moves ashore and drops temps 10-15 degrees below normal by this weekend. Richard Dickert, the meteorologist at KCAL\ Channel 9 explained that the pattern keeps rejuvenating; kind of feeding on itself. The coastal clouds have suppressed ocean temps which have lowered dew points and cooled temps [both night & day temps].

Today was still in the 80's but the minimum was 59F\ 15C and maximums in the 70's are likely later in the week! :o

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 3 weeks later...

Forecast here is 100 today, 108 tomorrow, then cooling through the rest of the week....I'm OK with 100, but 108 seems a bit excessive.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Forecast here is 100 today, 108 tomorrow, then cooling through the rest of the week....I'm OK with 100, but 108 seems a bit excessive.....

yea 108 is pretty warm.

Didn't reach 100F\ 37.7C at my house but it did at the nearby weather station. Looks like tomorrow will break 100F as it did today in many valley locations.

98F\ 36.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Supposed to be high 80's here on Weds. I better water my Lepidorachis well!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I was in LA yesterday and it was 100F on Melrose and Windsor :winkie: .

Today in Lemon Grove, 100F currently @ 3pm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Just returned from the market.......102 in beautiful downtown Brentwood....

John Case

Brentwood CA

it was so hot in san diego today that I saw a dog chasing a cat

they were both walking !

(I know that was fowl - hope you got the yolk)

Edited by trioderob

The temp. at my place topped out at 108F (42.2C) yesterday, the hottest day of the year so far. Cooler today at 102 F (38.9) My low last night was 65F (18.3C) I only get about 5 lows a year at or above 65F. Normal summer time lows would be upper 50's to low 60's. I moved some aloes out of the sun to shade and the glazed pots were so hot, they almost burned my hands.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It's interesting that as hot as it has been this week [actually the last 10 days] it will switch to below normal temps in just a few more days as a deep trough moves down the coast. Some areas will see a drop of over 30 degrees fahenheit before the cool airmass lifts out next week. Maximums at my location have been 98F\ 36.6C for the past several days while the readings at the state-operated weather station 2 blocks away are over 100F\ 37.7C. One of my thermometers has also been registering 100F or higher but I just don't think it is as accurate as my Oregon Instruments thermometer [who knows]. Elevated dew points have been keeping night temps above 70F\ 21.1C since Monday.

I guess the chances of a record cool August have been wiped out by the warmer readings over the second half of the month.

Yesterday's high: 98F

This morning's low: 73F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

As of this moment it is 94.6 in the booming metropolis of Brentwood.

John Case

Brentwood CA

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't believe, but some heat is on its way.. Supposed to hit high 80's on monday on the coast.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Maybe my plumeria will bloom afterall. Sad showing this year with 2, count them, 2 plumeria flowers.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"