IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where's Summer

happ

So do i still pack shorts in my case for September ? :unsure:

Troy I don't think you should pack shorts regardless of the weather - just kidding

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Happ, We get overhead sun 4th November so from September to November (spring) is the hottest because there's only isolated storms then. December is also hot but usually the monsoon kicks in with more rain and cloud cover. When the sun comes back overhead , about 10th February, the monsoon is usually still on, there's more cloud cover, and what was bare sun baked ground is then under 2 to 3 metre tall dense grass. The vegetation seems to absorb a lot of the sun's energy. When the monsoon ends, usually after April, the temperature goes up again then drops off a little in winter.

It's extremely rare for a maximum temperature to be below 30C (86F) any time of year (mostly only when there's a cyclone hovering nearby). On average we have over 350 days above 30C.

Summer finally arrives in Walnut Creek CA. Today will be the 3rd day in a row with a max temp. above 100 F. (38C). At 3 AM, the temp is still 70F (21.1C), very unusual to be this warm at night. Normal would be around 60F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Fresno finally hit the 100's yesterday for the first time this year. Almost made it through the month of June without a 100F temp. My plants are finally starting to wake up!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

This morning coastal clouds extended well inland and did not clear until noon at my location. It was down right cold and uncomfortable until 1PM when the temp finally reached into the 70's [max today: 78F\ 25.5C]. I can not recall ever having persistent coolness like we have been experiencing for the past 3 months especially in coastal Southern California. Ocean temps have been close to normal to slightly below normal [68F\ 20C] but night temps have been barely 60F\ 15.5C or cooler.

Long range indicates warming but models have not been particularly accurate this summer. I'm attempting to attach an Adobe graph without success that shows next week's forecast. I'll keep trying.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Just the tiniest drizzle here this morning....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This morning coastal clouds extended well inland and did not clear until noon at my location. It was down right cold and uncomfortable until 1PM when the temp finally reached into the 70's [max today: 78F\ 25.5C]. I can not recall ever having persistent coolness like we have been experiencing for the past 3 months especially in coastal Southern California. Ocean temps have been close to normal to slightly below normal [68F\ 20C] but night temps have been barely 60F\ 15.5C or cooler.

Long range indicates warming but models have not been particularly accurate this summer. I'm attempting to attach an Adobe graph without success that shows next week's forecast. I'll keep trying.

Yes. This is winter redux.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

We are having summerlike temps but getting a bit of the delta breeze around midnite. Saturday was 106, Sunday 103, today should be in the 90s, but how high looks to be much cooler, probably 93 or so. The plants are finally growing.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

<sigh> It drizzled last night...

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Yesterday broke several records for coolest temps and 70's were widespread across the valleys [approximately 20 degrees fahrenheit below normal]. Here's an interesting comment by the NWS_LA:

CLIMATE...THIS HAS BEEN A VERY COOL START TO JULY. IN FACT...HIGH TEMPERATURE ON THE THE FIRST 6 DAYS OF THIS PAST JANUARY AVERAGED WARMER IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES BY ABOUT 0.5 DEGREES (76.3 DEGREES FROM JANUARY 1ST THROUGH 6TH AS COMPARED TO 75.8 FROM JULY 1ST THROUGH 6TH)...AND BY 5.5 DEGREES AT LAX (74.8 DEGREES FROM JANUARY 1ST THROUGH 6TH COMPARED TO 69.2 DEGREES FROM JULY 1ST THROUGH 6TH). AND...MANY DAILY RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES WERE SET YESTERDAY INCLUDING 66 DEGREES AT LAX WHICH TIED A RECORD AS THE COOLEST HIGH TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED DURING THE MONTH OF JULY.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

SAN DIEGO went back to winter and the palms have stopped growing

:(

Very true.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Mine are still growing at the same speed they did during the winter... Never did see any real warm temps this year on the coast yet.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Appears the change is in as the upper low shifts northeast and out of Southern California this weekend. The jet stream has been way out of it's usual position by about 1000 miles. In-fact, it would be phenomenal if the jet stream acted like this in winter and sat over California basically for 3 months. Can not imagine how much rain we would have received if this were to happen during winter. But in spring into summer it didn't translate into much rainfall especially in Southern California although Northern California enjoyed a very prolonged rain season and really helped boost the water levels in the reservoirs.

The normal high pressure system of summer will finally assert itself and move westward into the Southwest. This is the beginning of the monsoon for Arizona. Hopefully we will have a good monsoon but nothing has been normal this year.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

You are correct saying "nothing has been normal this year." The past 3 months in N. Calif. have been cooler than normal, in fact the last 3 years have below normal. I've been experiencing mid 70's to low 80's during the day, and mid 50's for a nightly low. Actually, it's been very comfortable for palms and people too with very few days near 100F. I'm looking froward to some higher night time temps.

Dick

Richard Douglas

First day in a week that the temperature reached above 80F\ 26.6C and it felt warm even though it is still below normal [normal max: 88F\ 31.1C]. Dew points\ relative humidity from tropical moisture streaming northward out of Mexico is making it feel warmer than it actually is. None-the-less the weather pattern is finally taking on more typical summertime conditions and coastal valleys could exceed 100F\ 37.7C later in the week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's 101F at 10pm here :( The low in the next 7 days shouldn't get below 85F

How do you deal with the effects on your palm trees? Those hot days and very warm nights must suck out the moisture from plant life. In the autumn we have similar conditions in LA and hot dry winds burn fronds on exposed palms.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's 101F at 10pm here :( The low in the next 7 days shouldn't get below 85F

How do you deal with the effects on your palm trees? Those hot days and very warm nights must suck out the moisture from plant life. In the autumn we have similar conditions in LA and hot dry winds burn fronds on exposed palms.

I'm either forced to grow palms that can take the dry heat (Butia, Brahea, Phoenix, Washies etc) or plant in a location that only receives morning sun.

According to NOAA, my area will hit 116F this week. :(

Adam 

Finally a nice day today. More to come.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Highs of 80+ by the weekend on the coast.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

its in the 80s now inland san diego and there is explosive plam growth at my house.

winter is over

houston, we have lift-off

Edited by trioderob

its in the 80s now inland san diego and there is explosive plam growth at my house.

winter is over

houston, we have lift-off

....too the moon Alice.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Still warm out this evening.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Hard to believe it but today was the first day this year that I recorded at least 90F\ 32.2C. That has never happened in the 30 yrs I have been keeping records at my house. Normally the first 90F+ day occurs in March or April and always 90's in June.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm glad it's warmed up for you guys. It's depressing when you've been looking forward to summer, to eventually have to wait ages for a cool summer. Enjoy the warmth guys.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hard to believe it but today was the first day this year that I recorded at least 90F\ 32.2C. That has never happened in the 30 yrs I have been keeping records at my house. Normally the first 90F+ day occurs in March or April and always 90's in June.

It concerns me that you have been collecting records for 30 years and you're not with the NWS. :mrlooney:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It concerns me that you have been collecting records for 30 years and you're not with the NWS. :mrlooney:

Actually I do contribute data to the NWS as a weather observer. But I'm no meteorologist by any means; just a weather nut! :lol:

It seemed almost strange having the air conditioning on until 9PM this evening for a change.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Actually I do contribute data to the NWS as a weather observer. But I'm no meteorologist by any means; just a weather nut! :lol:

It seemed almost strange having the air conditioning on until 9PM this evening for a change.

It is nice, isn't it?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It is nice, isn't it?

I never thought I'd be happy over having to use AC but this summer has been one for the record books.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I topped 30C (85F) for the first time in 2010 yesterday. Actually made it to just over 32C (90F)!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Got to 80F at my house with a low of 64F. Soil temp is now 66F. Soil temp has actually gone up by 2 degrees in the last 3 days.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Summer slapped us today. NWS_LA has issued an excessive heat watch due to increasing dew points.

Hi: 96.4F\ 35.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Summer has finally arrived in N. Calif. A low this morning at daylight of 64F. Not to shabby for inland N. Calif. Today will be another sizzler with a high near 100F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Ahem.

Summer is at coastal Oceanside also. 78F yesterday, due to be 80F today.

105F at my place yesterday, brrrrrrrr.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Ahem.

Summer is at coastal Oceanside also. 78F yesterday, due to be 80F today.

87 at my house at 9:00 am

7 miles inland san diego

(yesterdays high was 97)

Edited by trioderob