IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mardy Darian's Garden On Tour

Phil

What about Dick?

Douglas, Matt - make sure to mention his last name

Sorry, you are correct Danny, Dick Douglas.

A

oh my, what's gotten into me?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who'd going.

Come on, go on down, pay the membership fee and get into one of the best gardens on earth.

Seriously.

Doink!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Any rough estimates on amount of people that will be attending? Will there, or could there be a "limit" on the amount of people that can come through?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

For every current member, late renewal, or newcomer who didn't get a Journal - we'll have plenty on hand if you can wait until the meeting. I don't know the precise amount, but it costs the Society $$$ to individually mail out copies for members who enroll late (not to mention occasional glitches and folks slipping through the cracks).

I get by with a little help from my fronds

No way to know until everyone shows up -

i agree that there is no way of knowing attendance,but what about the second part of the question? is there a limit on how many can be in the garden at a time?

i need to know cuz i have a large family. :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have 14 wives.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

move to utah! :angry:

still "warning-free."

That's where they live. I keep Jen here.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Providing I can find a babysitter, my wife and I will be down there with our hot $40 to see the garden. Don't think our two year old son would be nearly as gracious in the Darian garden as he is at Goofy's Bounce House!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Wonder if cats can be admitted?

domestic or imported?

still "warning-free."

domestic or imported?

Dosen't matter, does it? The more cougars, the better. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

haha.

i am telling your wife.

still "warning-free."

Bring some extra $$. I have it on good authority Doc is pullin some stuff of his greenhouse collection out to sell too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No way to know until everyone shows up -

i agree that there is no way of knowing attendance,but what about the second part of the question? is there a limit on how many can be in the garden at a time?

i need to know cuz i have a large family. :mrlooney:

It's members only - plus spouses and kids over 15; don't try to pull a fast one and tell me your uncle Gomer is a long lost son

ok,i guess the question cannot be answered. :huh:

still "warning-free."

We'll have an up-to-date roster of everyone who has renewed via Pay Pal or whose application and check I've received by Friday; conceivably, folks may show up whose checks haven't yet cleared - all part of life's rich pageant...

I guess scalping out in front of the gates is out of the question. :blink:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I don't undertand this pool house location. Are the coconut and Dypsis white stem outdoors or indoors?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The coconut and one white stem are inside an enclosure attached to the house than encompasses the pool and some planting areas with many of the more tender palms and plants, several more interesting than the coconut, IMO.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I don't undertand this pool house location. Are the coconut and Dypsis white stem outdoors or indoors?

Kim is right but there is also one outside that just now is opening two spears and looks the best I have ever seen it. The good news is Doc is opening up his pool house. In there he has a large Cyrtostachys renda, Crytostachys lakka and a fruiting Pelagodoxa.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I hope that those in attendance will take lots of photos. Maybe Ryan of the fabulous Spring Garden Tours Photos will be there?? I know those were in Florida but I thought he might be a traveler, or some other CA palm garden photographer will take some for those many of us who can't be there?

Please please and thank you:rolleyes:,

Susan

I am gonna be there to pay homage to the "High Priest of Madagascan Palm freeks", after all I and everyone else who has most any Dypsis palms in our gardens can thank Mardy for opening the doors to all the others who followed his footsteps and and went deeper into the bush, and continue to this day to bring out new palms. I have been going to his amazing hilltop jungle since the late 70s and its been nearly 15 yrs since my last visit and I can't wait to see the changes! :drool: This is gonna be an unreal event and I am looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones...Bob

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I hope that those in attendance will take lots of photos. Maybe Ryan of the fabulous Spring Garden Tours Photos will be there?? I know those were in Florida but I thought he might be a traveler, or some other CA palm garden photographer will take some for those many of us who can't be there?

Please please and thank you:rolleyes:,

Susan

Ryan would love the opportunity not only to tour his garden amongst fellow palm friends, but probably take hundreds of great pictures. But Ryan will not be making this trip. I'm sure there will be others that will certainly take some interesting photos to share.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This will probably be the most photographed palm garden in Christendom . . . .

I can hardly wait! I wish I could be there; sounds like pinnacle of PRA's

Susan

Looking forward to saturday. Been drooling over the Palmpedia panorama of his place since Dean put it up. Actually being there is going to be awesome. Len and BS make sure I don't miss anything.

San Marcos CA

OK Group,

It's this Saturday. Remember, you must be a member to enter. If you've not joined or forgot to renew, pay at the gate: $40. Spouses can enter with a spouse or partner who is either a Member or pays at the gate. Kids 15 and older ok if with parents. Stay on the pathways and no seed collecting.

Bring a food item, preferably a hot item. The Society is bringing a limited amount of chicken and cold drinks. We're losing money on this event, so please bring something.

For those bringing plants to be auctioned, MAXIMUM OF THREE PLANTS! and ONLY GOOD STUFF! No Trachycarpus, Washingtonia, etc. please. Try to bring sizes that people can easily carry. Preferable size is 1g to 5g, not a 200 pounder.

Phil

ps: From the nursery and in keeping with the Madagascar/New Caledonian theme, I'm bringing a nice Ravenea species Giant (maybe like the one you'll be seeing), Veillonia alba, and Hawaiian Punch. I am not sure if Mardy will be auctioning any of his plants. He's still a bit undecided, but I think it would be cool for him to tell his stories with the plants.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hey party people, I unfortunately won't be able to attend (workers here all day, and I can't leave), but feel free to swing by my place either before or after to check out my place and say hello. Preferably before, since my place will look pretty lame in comparison if you come after. I can offer free beer, however. I'm about 5 minutes away, and you won't even need to get on the freeway.

Justin

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Hey party people, I unfortunately won't be able to attend (workers here all day, and I can't leave), but feel free to swing by my place either before or after to check out my place and say hello. Preferably before, since my place will look pretty lame in comparison if you come after. I can offer free beer, however. I'm about 5 minutes away, and you won't even need to get on the freeway.

Justin

BEER, someone say BEEEER! :drool::drool: I may stay all day! I been fixing air conditioning systems nonstop for 3 days and I'm partched like a hornytoad!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I'm charging my camera as we speak. I estimate that with a full charge I'll be able to take upwards of 20 pics. :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looking forward to saturday. Been drooling over the Palmpedia panorama of his place since Dean put it up. Actually being there is going to be awesome. Len and BS make sure I don't miss anything.

Go on my tour Shon. I know the where the goods are and have the history of stuff too. :winkie:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, are you gonna start pronouncing the latin names right for this tour, or just ballpark-it as usual?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

hey len speaks latin plenty good---i've seen him order at the taco shop more than once :winkie:

still "warning-free."

Fine. You two fools can go on Gary's tour. "ballpark-it"? I'll ballpark you.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

nice retort :lol: :lol: that's not a dessert

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

sounds a bit "3 stooges-esque." len goes for the classics.

still "warning-free."

Justin

BEER, someone say BEEEER! :drool: :drool: I may stay all day! I been fixing air conditioning systems nonstop for 3 days and I'm partched like a hornytoad!

Deja Vu. :bemused:

Except for the Beer part.

Oh yeah as for Mardy's, I'm only half anointed unlike Len and Gary, I'd follow them.

But at least I've been on the catwalk... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!