IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

It is real hot and humid tonight. A bit more than normal.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

After a few days of high single digit mins, last night was lovely and mild, eventually getting down to 15C. It started raining again, and has been ever since, with really heavy showers in between a constant soft rain...palms would be loving it! 19mm so far...very soggy. I just hope the forecast cooler weather stays away long enough for the ground to dry out a little.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Latest in never-ending upper level troughs is moving northeast and out of California but today was still around 10 degrees fahrenheit below normal for a summer that is breaking all records for coolness. Warming into the weekend should give coastal\ valley areas near normal temps. Attached a video I found on U-Tube describing the year without summer in southern California.

Max: 80F\ 26.6C [normal: 89F\ 31.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

26.6 deg C in summer?? Wow!!! That is our winter temperature...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Decent rain forcast for Melbourne today and tomorrow... up to 40mm each day and then lesser amounts over the next few days. So it means we might exceed our average monthly total in 2-3 days....now that I can take. :)

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

That's great Michael. It may start raining again tomorrow here. So far we are at 0.2mm in the gauge. Only 129.8mm to go to get to average August levels. This isn't an average August over here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good for you, Michael... At least the garden will be nice & wet when you get back.

BTW, Tyrone, has Scott called you?? He can be slack sometimes... he doesn't even called me!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's great Michael. It may start raining again tomorrow here. So far we are at 0.2mm in the gauge. Only 129.8mm to go to get to average August levels. This isn't an average August over here.

We must be stealing your rain Tyrone!:lol:

44mm since last night and plenty more to come judging by the radar...

Our winter rainfall patterns are reversed

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Rang my 'caretaker' today who informed me its been pouring with lovely rain over my house all day. Just one brief shower here in central qld, really cold night and today has been cold by sth east qld standards. Kicked so many bums today that my legs hurt....seems to have been successful. Probably will be able to leave this week after all....not the much dreaded few weeks stay I had anticipated. This place is bursting with character and possibilities but damned if I could live in this town to take advantage of any opportunities. I keep seeing the balcony (100 metres long by 3 metres deep) filled with little tables and potted palms but it probably won't ever happen so no point pondering it.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Daryl

Totally. While we've come this far can we continue the swap? You can have our spring summer and we'll have yours. I wouldn't mind 200mm a month from about Nov to April. :D Is it a deal?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good for you, Michael... At least the garden will be nice & wet when you get back.

BTW, Tyrone, has Scott called you?? He can be slack sometimes... he doesn't even called me!!

Scott rang me last night from Adelaide. I'll pick him up from the Duxton on Thur arvo for his grand tour of a messy beaten up garden. I just looked at pictures of it back in May and it's actually quite depressing to look at the reality of it all now. Worst winter ever. If summer's a dud well..... :(

Best regards

Tyrone

WOW...........HEAVY RAIN

Just talked to the neighbors at Childers and we have had 132mm in the past 12 hours.

Rained heavy all night and still raining.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Daryl

Totally. While we've come this far can we continue the swap? You can have our spring summer and we'll have yours. I wouldn't mind 200mm a month from about Nov to April. :D Is it a deal?

We ended up with 77mm over the last 24 hours...that should last us for a few weeks. Sorry, Tyrone, but you can keep your desert summers...:mrlooney:

Daryl

Had a min of 12.5C lastnight with gusty NE's and dewpoint this morning of -5C. Weird. It's 8am and already 17C as the rain edges closer.

Daryl, they're tipping that we have a wetter than average spring summer here. I sure hope so. We've got to get our rain sometime.

Best regards

Tyrone

Scott rang me last night from Adelaide. I'll pick him up from the Duxton on Thur arvo for his grand tour of a messy beaten up garden. I just looked at pictures of it back in May and it's actually quite depressing to look at the reality of it all now. Worst winter ever. If summer's a dud well..... :(

Best regards

Tyrone

I am sure it will be fine!! He complained that the camera played up... so you'd better take photos instead...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's freezing here today today. Which isnt entirely a bad thing. I means I stay indoors. Being indoors means I dont have to look at the ugly smirking red inbred moronic bovine faces of the locals. When I dont look at them, I cant hear them and when I cant hear them, the urge to rampage through the streets slashing and cutting everyone in sight doesnt overwhelm me like it does the instant I go outdoors. My shrink is going to get a new BMW out of my sojourn in the glorious outback. Tidied up the beer garden this morning and finally managed to get a regular cleaner to go through the residential section. Yesterday's fantasy of moving out here and getting it all back into full swing (with my own personal touches) are dead and Gone..gone..gone. Not much rain here....who really cares....let them water their crops with their tears.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It's freezing here today today. Which isnt entirely a bad thing. I means I stay indoors. Being indoors means I dont have to look at the ugly smirking red inbred moronic bovine faces of the locals. When I dont look at them, I cant hear them and when I cant hear them, the urge to rampage through the streets slashing and cutting everyone in sight doesnt overwhelm me like it does the instant I go outdoors. My shrink is going to get a new BMW out of my sojourn in the glorious outback. Tidied up the beer garden this morning and finally managed to get a regular cleaner to go through the residential section. Yesterday's fantasy of moving out here and getting it all back into full swing (with my own personal touches) are dead and Gone..gone..gone. Not much rain here....who really cares....let them water their crops with their tears.

Peachy

So other than the above, sounds like you are having a great time Peachy.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

It's freezing here today today. Which isnt entirely a bad thing. I means I stay indoors. Being indoors means I dont have to look at the ugly smirking red inbred moronic bovine faces of the locals. When I dont look at them, I cant hear them and when I cant hear them, the urge to rampage through the streets slashing and cutting everyone in sight doesnt overwhelm me like it does the instant I go outdoors.

Peachy

Peachy where are you at by the way? It sounds like an intersting place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Peachy

LOL ahhaha :D Thats the funniest paragraph ive ever read on here ! Sounds like a scene from Evil dead m ixed with delieverence ! LOL im still laughing !!! :D

post-1252-12815090225021_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

That's what happens when you put Peachy in whoop whoop... lol.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well Troy, I am evil, they are dead (from the neck up) guess it's up to the chubby lad from Hobart to provide the piggy squeals.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It's raining now. Not heavy though. Everything is so bone dry. Not normal for this time of year. Normally you're trying to protect everything from too much rain. Not lately. I had to give all the pots are good drenching today. Hopefully the rain will do the rest.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well the rain is falling nice and solid. We had a min of 12.3C and 25mm overnight with it still falling at a gentle non windy pace. Everything needed it and this rain will probably mark an end to the long runs of very cold night temps we've endured from about mid June. We may get back to something more normal and then slip into spring in 2 weeks. 2 weeks!!!!!! Yeahh. It can only get better from here. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I have been looking at the La Niña information and for whatever it is worth, La Niña is here and consolidating. For me this should be more rain. Parts of Brazil will have less and other will have more. The prospects for the Northern Hemisphere is of a strong winter with low temperatures. I find it very intersting how the ocean temperatures impact our weather. Not that this should not be expected. It is just intersting to see it develop. Last years dry season was heavily impacted by El Niño in my area. It was very hot and dry for nearly 4 months. The rainy season was about normal though. The El Niño was a weak one as well and this may have added to the percipitation. Although most northern hemishpere residents do not give much input in their summer the southern winter has been interesting as far as I have been able to see.

When the next norther winter kicks in the input to this forum will get real active. And, if the outlook for California is right there will be a lot of frozen palms there. I hope not. But, that is what looks like is shaping up.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

La Nina is good news for the east coast of Australia, means plenty of rainfall. In the meantime, back here in the lovely, wonderful, glorious city, its a nippy day with a howling westerley wind. Very economical trip home, got blown most the way back.

Peachy

27.35 south.

La Nina will be good if it creates a strong blast to the Leeuwin current which is strengthened by the winds through the Torres Strait and Timor Sea blowing through into the Indian Ocean. This warm current then runs down the west coast bringing warmth and humidity and increased rainfall. However it isn't always consistent with a La Nina event. Anything could happen in the next few months.

The rains just picked up again and I've got to go out now and pick Scott up for his wet winter palm tour. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Well well. After spending much of the weekend in my stubbies, a cold front blew in on Sunday evening and changed our weather pattern. For weeks we have had mid to high 20's every day. Since Monday its been cold and windy. Monday max 17c, Tues got to 18C and yesterday 17c. 3 mornings in a row of 8c down in the valley, the coldest spell so far this winter. Today is expected to get to 22c.

The rain tanks have been dry for weeks and not a proper drop has fallen at my place since the beginning of May. :rage: There has been some drizzle inbetween but that just made the car dirty. :rage:

So La nina is around....means more summer rain! :drool:

Peach-Happy you back from the Outback?

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I'm hoping La Nina will bring more rain this summer so there is a bit more growth.

Tyrone, could get really dry for you this summer if you are not receiving your normal winter rain levels?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Well well. After spending much of the weekend in my stubbies, a cold front blew in on Sunday evening and changed our weather pattern. For weeks we have had mid to high 20's every day. Since Monday its been cold and windy. Monday max 17c, Tues got to 18C and yesterday 17c. 3 mornings in a row of 8c down in the valley, the coldest spell so far this winter. Today is expected to get to 22c.

The rain tanks have been dry for weeks and not a proper drop has fallen at my place since the beginning of May. :rage: There has been some drizzle inbetween but that just made the car dirty. :rage:

So La nina is around....means more summer rain! :drool:

Peach-Happy you back from the Outback?

Ja Dennis got home to find its been pouring rain here. About 60mm while I was away. Glad to be home....thought about tying a pair of my flannellette knickers to the car antenna ....use them as a spinnaker to get home even quicker.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Tyrone... send Scott home asap... LOL. I haven't seen the garden for over a week now... too busy feeding all the fury babies...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I'll send him home on a plane tomorrow OK. :D I just dropped him back off in the CBD. We had a nice stroll through the garden in the rain. Much different to yesterday when it was all bone dry. It actually felt like a rainforest at 2800m asl in the tropics. At least everything looked lush. It's bucketing down now.

Mike, yes it could be one of those dry years. The trend though in the last few years is for winter to start late and then spring is wet. This year has been a bit ridiculous though. If it doesn't rain much the infrastructure here will creak and groan with the strain. I may have to move to Darwin. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Good... I don't think he can stand the cold anymore... Poor thing!! And yes, Tyrone... move up anytime... Maybe a holiday first?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was a max of 17 something today. Definitely not a warm day. We'll make our way up to Darwin sometime in the not too distant future at least for a look see Ari.

Best regards

Tyrone

13.7deg this morning.... Freezing!!! I hope it doesn't stay below 15 for too long....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You're only 4.7C warmer than me Ari. We had a min of 9C and 11.4mm overnight. It's blue sky outside and the sun is out and everything is moist again. Thank goodness. It was dry as anything out there a couple of days ago. I'll be flying over the cold front on my way to Sydney this afternoon. I'll keep my seatbelt on over South Australia. I'm looking outside now and my Heliconia subulata's are pushing open new leaves. They're one tough Heliconia. They look perfect. Its more tropical cousins are papery brown and collapsed. That's just the way it goes.

Best regards

Tyrone

Boy Ari that is cold. If it got that cold here there would be dead bodies on the streets in the morning. The equatorial summer here is developing. There was a nice rain this afternoon though. I hope that the La Niña brings a wet dry season this year. It has still been cool in southern Brazil. But, we have not been touched by any more cold weather this far north. In the central west of the country, where the capital Brasilia is located the relative humidy has been running around 15 percent which is very low for Brazil and generates health alerts. The forecast for Brazil tomorrow is interesting. The high temperatures a pretty hot and widespread. And, so are the low temperatures for tomorrow night. Another relatively strong cold front is entering southern Brazil. By tomorrow night cool temperatures will even reach the southern para of Amazonas state where I live. The largest state in Brazil which in the northwest corner of the country is where Manaus is. Maybe we may even feel something by the weekend.

dk

post-188-12816557536982_thumb.jpg

post-188-12816557761339_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Well.... I had to put my long sleeves on this morning when I had to drop the kids off to school. Some people said they wanted more of this because they haven't had any dry season?? What??? How long have they been here? I would say, stuff this dry season thing.... bring on the wet!!!

Tyrone,

Make sure you don't land anywhere near SA. Ask Scott, it wasn't good.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was sleeting on the Darling Downs yesterday, where the westerly winds were coming from. I don't know what sleet is actually but it sounds nasty. SNOW was predicted for the Granite Belt, where our Sth westerly wind comes from, but the expected overnight falls didnt eventuate, just a frost thick enough to skate on. Down here at sea level, it was a nippy night with a rotten howling gale but today is lovely. Clear skies no wind and coolish but pleasant 22. For the first time in a long time, Ralf came back inside after his late night tinkle. He must have realised that his usual stunt (no coming back or responding to being called, meaning that I have to get the Dolphin spotlight torch and wander around the garden in my nightie in subzero temps until I find him) was not going to work, or maybe the freezing blasts of wind bugged him too. Today I was in the city at the beautician and blew my income for the next few months. It means hanging around cafes and begging for scraps but at least I will look fabulous while doing it.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Lucky bugger Peach! 70mm would go down like a home-sick mole here I tell you!

Coldest morning of the year this morn.....F F f ffreezing 7c! Piggie is looking a little like bacon! :huh:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Lucky bugger Peach! 70mm would go down like a home-sick mole here I tell you!

Coldest morning of the year this morn.....F F f ffreezing 7c! Piggie is looking a little like bacon! :huh:

Did Dennis forget his Ozslang Dictionary ? Or is the old devil just trying out some double entendres ? Hope your little piggy makes it. Both mine are toast.

Peachy

27.35 south.