IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

I went over to my place in the country yesterday afternoon. The dry season has swung into full force. And, the heat is here. I always like the view of the Astrocaryum jauari trees as the ferry arrives on the other side of the Negro River. The sky was a great deep blue color. The trip back across the river after sunset was a great end to the day. The 45 minute trip on the ferry was an opportunity to just feel the warm humid air pass by while looking over the water at the big full moon. To the west was the southern cross, always a reminder of where on the globe one is.

dk

post-188-12802195200533_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Talking about heat!!! I was tempted to turn the a/c on last night!! It was hot hot hot!! And tonight too... Now it is 7.05pm and it is still 30.2deg??? What the?? In July???

Anyway, the licuala bed loves it!!! Nothing is getting burnt except for a couple of leaves, so I think we should be sweet.... Yes, I know I have to get my act together to post the photos... :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Overnight temperatures took a little dive. Midnight was still 29.0C (84.2F) but hit the minimum of 23.8C (74.8F) at 6:30 am. Maximum reached 35.6C (96.1F) this afternoon, also down from yesterday.

Tyrone, the highest temperature for Darwin I think is 38.9C (102.0F), got from a website I think is pretty accurate. It lists extreme temperatures for places all over the world. Darwin is on a small peninsula jutting into the sea. It has water on 3 sides. Temperatures at Noonamah are lower and higher than Darwin, we're about 50 kms inland.

Generally, August the temperatures can go up and down a bit but come September they only go up, peaking in October/November. Then the monsoon (hopefully) arrives in December.

It's literally the middle of the night and just over 14 degrees. I dont even have the heating on, the house got warmed up in the day and has stayed that way. No rain today, it was quite windy too, but it very dark and overcast now. I managed to dig out about 1/3 of the area I am going to pave, plus did a lot of repotting that I have been putting off for months. Supposed to be wet tomorrow so I either have to find chores in the carport nursery or do housework...perish the thought.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Same here Peachy. It's 11.30pm and 14.2C with a bit of rain just falling now. The heater is on but it's blimmin hot in here. Probably 26C in here at the moment, just the way I like it.

Here is the forecast. The mins have taken a dive but look at the maximums on the weekend.

Forecast for Tuesday evening

A shower or two. Moderate W'ly winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

Forecast for Wednesday

A shower or two, with some lengthy breaks in the afternoon. Moderate W/SW winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Min 9 Max 18

Mandurah: Min 9 Max 17

UV Alert: 11:20 am to 1:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Thursday Few showers, easing later. Min 10 Max 17

Friday Chance of a shower. Min 3 Max 17

Saturday Morning shower chance. Min 5 Max 19

Sunday Sunny. Min 5 Max 21

Monday Sunny. Min 5 Max 22

Tuesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 22

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

65mm of rain overnight, and still pouring down now, with more of the same forecast for the day...the garden is loving it! Min temp down to 15C so all is good!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We had a min of 12.7C and 2.6mm of rain overnight. Enough to keep the cold away. The next few nights are going to be cold once that high pressure thing moves in.

Daryl, is that amount of rain normal for you this time of year? I think that's our rain you've got there. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

yep, it happens every year. Our monthly July Average is about 70mm and the majority usually falls in one or two days. The wettest days I've ever recorded (over 500mm) were June/July

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

You don't have dry winters then Daryl. We've only just exceeded SE QLD rainfall by 40mm this July and this is our wet season. It is a very dry wet season though. It's interesting that your wettest day was in winter whereas Perth's wettest day ever was in Feb from a decaying cyclone.

We've got a 23C day coming up in a few days. The nights are too cold though. I hope some cloud magically appears at night and leaves in the day.

Going for a min of 12C and heavy showers overnight. Then the bottom falls out of the mins and back to single digits. Yuck.

Lucky buggers! What I wouldnt give for some rain! Either that or to be sitting on a boat on the Amazon fishing. Thanks for that pic Don!

Its been warm mid to high 20's the past week or so but hellish dry! Seems the mozzies and red spider mites are enjoying the weather too.....not good!

The forecast is for 6mm tomorrow....I hope they are correct.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

You don't have dry winters then Daryl. We've only just exceeded SE QLD rainfall by 40mm this July and this is our wet season. It is a very dry wet season though. It's interesting that your wettest day was in winter whereas Perth's wettest day ever was in Feb from a decaying cyclone.

We've got a 23C day coming up in a few days. The nights are too cold though. I hope some cloud magically appears at night and leaves in the day.

Going for a min of 12C and heavy showers overnight. Then the bottom falls out of the mins and back to single digits. Yuck.

Shoot Ty, you going to have to edit your signature after this winter! We almost out of this....

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Yeah... Scott told me that the rainfall is way down for you in Perth this year, Tyrone... So why are you still there again?? :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

now now Ari! :lol:

Tyrone, our winters are dry compared to summer, the problem we have is it is very dry in between rain periods. August and September are our driest months, and this is bad because the temps increase during this period and we usually get a few 30C+ days, on top of cool, dry soil etc it stresses palms pretty badly.

Our driest month still has about 25% the rainfall of our wettest month, although it does vary from year to year.

The really wet rain events we get here are usually the result of winter 'East Coast Lows', which are like little mid latitude cyclones that track down the coast, without the wind intensity, but definitely with the rain intensity.

East Coast Lows

Daryl

Lovely lovely rain today and tonight, an overnight minimum of 15, more rain on the way, so mama isnt complaining about anything. The fur faced babies are sound asleep, stuffed full of their roast chicken dinners, I attacked a packet of timtams (and won) peace and harmony reigns supreme and my palms are growing too.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Shoot Ty, you going to have to edit your signature after this winter! We almost out of this....

It's been a harsh winter Dennis. I went looking at a couple of nurseries in the last few days and there are damaged plants everywhere. Single digit minimums are common here in Perth in winter but we've had big long record stretches over 2 weeks of nothing above 5C, purely because the highs are controlling the weather here, and they centre themselves right over the 32nd parallel for some reason. Go 2 hrs south and it will be raining and warm. Go 2 hrs north and it will just be warmer. You should see peoples lawns. Most are just yellow. I can't remember a winter with so many terrible lawns. I hope summer compensates or we enter spring mid August. The weather we have been experiencing is more in common with inland wheatbelt towns which are over 160km inland. The ocean doesn't appear to be helping much. That being said the wheatbelt has been frozen solid. Friends in Narrogin (160km inland) have had to pour warm water over their cars just so they can open the car doors from all the thick ice. They've had frost nearly every night and mins way below zero. I hope I never see the likes of this winter again. My microclimates have helped a lot though. The only damage I've had is to my bottle palms, and Heliconia's. My bananas are still flowering and fruiting. My Carpoxylon is opening a new spear and is totally undamaged, and my Foxy Ladies and Rednecks are all still deep green, but my area is protected.

Come quickly spring.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yeah... Scott told me that the rainfall is way down for you in Perth this year, Tyrone... So why are you still there again?? :mrlooney:

I know I know.

now now Ari! :lol:

Tyrone, our winters are dry compared to summer, the problem we have is it is very dry in between rain periods. August and September are our driest months, and this is bad because the temps increase during this period and we usually get a few 30C+ days, on top of cool, dry soil etc it stresses palms pretty badly.

Our driest month still has about 25% the rainfall of our wettest month, although it does vary from year to year.

The really wet rain events we get here are usually the result of winter 'East Coast Lows', which are like little mid latitude cyclones that track down the coast, without the wind intensity, but definitely with the rain intensity.

East Coast Lows

Daryl

Thanks for that Daryl. I've read about the East Coast Lows and how they effect Sydney quite strongly. Didn't know they effected SE QLD, so there you go. That's probably one reason why the east coast gets monster hail storms and generally the west coast is quite stable without huge hail storms except for March 22 this year. We get hail, mainly in winter on occasion, but it's small pea hail, not stuff that would kill you if you weren't under cover. We get cutoff lows on the west coast and these do produce strong steady rain usually without much strong wind. Normally these form by a cold front that swings through but leaves most of it's moisture in a more northerly area and keeps going into the Bight. The bit that breaks off on the west coast starts to spin and hangs around and it's generally warm and humid when that happens, especially if it combines with a mid level disturbance that draws moisture from the tropics. I love those rain events. Strong steady warm rain results and the palms love it. I don't think that the west coast cut off lows would be as intense as the East Coast Low situation though. Maybe the mountains along the east coast amplify the effect a bit. Without any real mountains on the west coast we lose a lot of the moisture as it heads east overland.

In light of what you detailed above, no wonder NSW and SE QLD have rainforests.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lovely lovely rain today and tonight, an overnight minimum of 15, more rain on the way, so mama isnt complaining about anything. The fur faced babies are sound asleep, stuffed full of their roast chicken dinners, I attacked a packet of timtams (and won) peace and harmony reigns supreme and my palms are growing too.

Peachy

All is well.

Peachy is happy. :lol:

The overnight minimum continues to drop, although the maximum's staying up.

This morning's minimum was 21.7C (71.1F) with a maximum this afternoon of 35.8C (96.4F).

Had a min of 13.2C and 10.4mm of rain overnight.

The forecast min for tonight is 2C. :( I hope they're really wrong with that and it's higher.

Best regards

Tyrone

Minimums and maximums are moving in opposite directions. This morning the low dropped to 18.2C (F), then it went up to a maximum 35.6C (F) this afternoon.

Had an interesting day today, spent 5 hours out in a chopper. Saw some great country. Got to some of the northern most Livistona rigida. Saw forests of Hydriastele ramsayi above some spectacular gorges. Most common palm was Livistona humilis, no exaggeration, by the millions. Next would have been Livistona inermis, in the tens of thousands only. Interesting was what I think were Carpentaria acuminata but tall with very small canopies. They were in a valley with springs and swampy ground. Then there seemed to be a cut off point and from there (down stream) were the ordinary type of Carpies. Thought at first the small canopied ones might have been Hydriastele wendlandiana. They didn't seem clumpy enough though.

Another place we landed in had extensive growths of Cycas conferta. Would be the biggest population of C. conferta that I know of. Saw stacks of brumbies as well. I need to get out like this more often.

One of the landing sites.

post-4226-12804052327486_thumb.jpg

Did you take pictures of all of these palms Zig?

Going for a min of 3C. It's better than 2C. It's around 11C at 9.18pm with a 6C dewpoint which has stayed quite stable, so maybe we'll only get to 5or 6C tonight. I hope so.

I'm looking forward to 4 days in a row of 20C or above this weekend. 23C will feel hot.

Yesterday Wyndham in the far north Kimberley had a record July maximum of 37C. There could be an early warm up in the north of the country. I hope it moves down south and brings the wet season with it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Zig,

That sounds like a great day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Yes... that would be fun, Zig!!! I hope you do take lots of photos.

Anyway, the minimum has gone down to low 20's. I don't think we will see single digit at my place this year, which is fine anyway. I wonder what will happen to the build up being La Nina year and all... The trend hasn't been consistent and it is so hard to read as the data starts from January to December like the rest of Australia. Our wet season is from Sept - May, so we really need financial year data to be able to compare wet season in La Nina years. It is actually hard being so different to the rest of Australia.... try to buy kids' rain coat in December!! You wouldn't find it anywhere... :blink:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The minimum didn't manage to stay up over the 'civilised threshold', dropping down to 19.9C (67.8F). But it is up from the night before. So far this winter it hasn't dropped to single digits (which for us would be below the threshold of brutality) and as Ari said it's now not likely to. From memory, my lowest was a 10.3C (50.5F) in early June.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get photos of the interesting sites/palms, etc., yesterday. Generally work doesn't revolve around my personal interests, funny thing about that.angry.gif We had a lot to fit in for the time the chopper was available, and the pilot had another job following on later. He had to get back to his base which was a fair distance away.

Yesterday's job was the best type for looking around. unsure.gif You fly very low altitude skimming tree tops, there were 16 landings and take-offs. One spot he wouldn't land, and I didn't push him, although I'd done a landing there last year. We already go in and out of incredibly tight spots and I rely on the pilot's confidence. Dropping in isn't so bad. It's getting back up. I've been in situations where we've had to have several goes at trying to get back up out of a clearing.blink.gif

With the minimum edging up last night, today the maximum also edged up, as recorded at Noonamah AWS, to 36.2C (97.2F) . With only one day of July left it doesn't look like we'll make it to 38C.

Humidity is now above what it had been over the past couple of weeks. Last night it peaked at 96% and today it bottomed out at 33%. This afternoon at work we got some dark heavy cloud, a bit reminiscent of the Build-up. Can only hope it leads to an early wet (a wet wet season that is).

The average for this July has been 5.8C min to 18.2C max vs the long term average of 7.8Cmin to 18.4C max. It's been a cold July. Not sure if it's a record though with those averages. Too cold for me though. 140mm of rain vs the average of 170mm approx. The max's this weekend look very exciting. Still single digits at night, but I'll take the max's. Spring like weather in August.

Sunday Sunny. Min 5 Max 22

Monday Sunny. Min 6 Max 23

Tuesday Sunny. Min 6 Max 23

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 6 Max 22

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 6 Max 21

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 19

Best regards

Tyrone

9.4C overnight and 2.4mm of rain. 19 today then 22 and 23C for a while. Heatwave. :)

Hector is back today!! At the end of July????? This will be interesting!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bring on Summer, can't wait...

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

It was actually warm enough to be sweaty today, with temps around 26-27C and dewpoints around 16-17C for most of the day. The forecast is for more wintery weather, but at least we got a taste of spring! The palms are loving it after 100mm of rain during the week.

Daryl

Last day of the coldest month is a hair breadth away from having passed. It never got to the 38C (100F) mark during the month but it did get reasonably close. Noonamah AWS recorded this mornings minimum as a neat 22.0C (71.6F). This afternoons maximum was a neat 37.0C (98.6F). Guess now we'll have to wait til next year to see if July can break the 38C barrier.

Ari, I was amazed to see Hector ramping up. About 2 months early. Looking at the radar there's scattered showers right across the Top End. There's a large cell developing to the east north east which looks like it's lining up with yours and my place. Be great if it makes it, just hope it's going to be over 10mm at least. At this stage it's still about 55 kms away from my place. Won't be good for the mangos though. Lots of them are still flowering.

28 yesterday and 27.5 today. Too hot to do anything so I went palm shopping.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Ari, I was amazed to see Hector ramping up. About 2 months early. Looking at the radar there's scattered showers right across the Top End. There's a large cell developing to the east north east which looks like it's lining up with yours and my place. Be great if it makes it, just hope it's going to be over 10mm at least. At this stage it's still about 55 kms away from my place. Won't be good for the mangos though. Lots of them are still flowering.

Nah... didn't make to our place tonight, Zig. We were at a mate's place pass acacia and it was spitting there. Good lightning show at Darwin River dam & Batchelor though. I am not complaining!! Bring on the wet!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I agree Ari. Bring on the rain!!! Please....

Weather is lovely here (temp wise) and no change for the foreseeable future.

You know its dry when the Pachypodiums start dropping leaves!

Edited by PalmsZA

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

22C tomorrow after a day just shy of 20C today. Then 24C Monday and two days of 23C then a 22C then 20C then back to 19C.

Very bad news for gardens here. The Gov is thinking of continuing the winter sprinkler ban to the end of October due to the lack of winter rainfall. The rivers and lakes are up though. Typical. Rather than plan for the future and fix an infrastructure issue they impose bans. Peoples lawns are already dying now from excessive cold and lack of rainfall. Don't water anything until Oct 31 and watch everything die that was stressed from the rotten winter. We can get to 37C in October. No water with those temps and you can forget a garden. Still the politicians in their fancy houses will have a lush garden regardless. I wonder how they do it with no irrigation???????????

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, welcome to what we have had to live through for the last 10 years...fortunately we do get rain from time to time. We now have full dams, our local dam is being upgraded to increase its capacity, we have a rusty, new desal plant at Tugun, Brisbane can take all of our water if they please, and now they are going to jack up the water prices so it will be so expensive we dare not use it on the garden, or we will go broke...if the govt had their way, they would charge us for how much rain falls from the sky...:angry:

Daryl

Why did you think they banned the use of rainwater tanks for years here in Darwin?? Because they can't charge for water that way!!!! I think time to put in some rain water tank, guys...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

That seems like a strange thing to ban, rain water tanks. What was the reason for that? Brazil has a real un balanced water situation. Where I live the rivers have 15 percent of all the fresh water in the world. Yet, many areas of the cities, including where I live have no city water. The northeast of the country is a semi desert. And, the southeast, especially São Paulo gets a fair amount of rain. But, with 35 million plus living in the state and 23 million alone in the São Paulo metro area water shortages are common. In areas where they ration water, like São Paulo from time to time, they do not ban watering. They just turn the water off to the areas being rationed. So, you have no choice at all.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Just in town, Don. I think it has something to do with cyclone coding. I guess they can be a hazard, unless they keep it top up, although... usually it will get top up with rain if there is cyclone around anyway.

I think they have recently changed the regulation, since now they have government rebate on rainwater tank. Out here in the rural area, we have rainwater tank. But we only have 1 tank, so we top up with bore water in the dry and use rainwater in the wet. When we can afford it, we want to get those 50,000L rhino tank and have more rainwater. Then we can just use my bore for irrigation and use my tank water for drinking, etc.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"