• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Yeah... Michael... I know where I would rather be... BTW, don't forget to go to seed banks at Bogor!!!! If you need a contact person, let me know... I will find out his number. I know if you bring some exotics stuff, Tyrone wouldn't say no.. :mrlooney: ... well, that case... neither would I :)

Regards, Ari :)

You guys really want to see me on an episode of "Border security" don't you ???? :lol:

Regards

Michael.

LOL. It's not illegal Michael, but yes that would be funny. :D Remember to never kick or punch the sniffer dog either. Someone did that at Perth airport and he was arrested and dealt with very severely. :D

I checked my thermometers this morning and under my patio it bottomed out at 9C, and there was a bit of a breeze, unlike Perth where it was dead still and 3.3C, so I reckon my min this morning was around 5-6C. At the moment it's blue skies without a cloud and clear. Much like a Brissie July day actually. Beautiful. So far winter here is proving to be a strong sub tropical winter. Dry as a chip. We're going for a max of 19C and the weekend is clear and 23C. The dry will end next week though and we may get more normal winter weather, with warmer wetter nights and cooler cloudier days.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yeah... Michael... I know where I would rather be... BTW, don't forget to go to seed banks at Bogor!!!! If you need a contact person, let me know... I will find out his number. I know if you bring some exotics stuff, Tyrone wouldn't say no.. :mrlooney: ... well, that case... neither would I :)

You guys really want to see me on an episode of "Border security" don't you ???? :lol:

Regards

Michael.

Michael,

All mine are declared and above board. I just have to make sure they are on AQIS list and cleaned well (by me) and they kept it for 1 day and the next day... they were out.

Tyrone,

They are fresh.... fresh of the tree (remember the photo I sent you??). You can ask Scott who did the cleaning :rolleyes:

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well, we're almost back to "civilised" temperatures now. The minimum at my place this morning was 18.9C (66.0F). Humidity peaked at 90% overnight but this was mainly early evening, then it stayed below 70% most of the rest of the night. Yesterday it got up to 32.2C (90.0F) with humidity bottoming at 43%.

Had to go into Darwin yesterday. When you look, there's an amazing number of palms around with a lot of different species. Dominant, of course, were the Carpies, but Royals and Golden Canes are quite common as well.

Ari, I called in to Allora on the way but was quite shocked by their high prices. Helmut, just up the road, had better prices as well as a sale on. I didn't get anything.

Zig,

Really?? Did you talk to Dominique??? What did you get from Helmut? I haven't been Ironstone for ages....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A nippy 5 last night...and only 20 today. I am wearing my big fur coat to work tonight, this frigid weather is getting to me. I had a bunch of pots away in a corner I had forgotten about....found my one and only areca catechu alba a shrivelled stump in the middle of them. Very muggy and overcast today, just the kind of weather that I dont like. Have to buy a snorkel soon so I can sleep with my head in a bucket of moisturiser and still breathe.

Jon frost forms in the park opposite about 2 degrees but doesnt climb up the hill to my house until minus 3.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Oh no... peachy... They are beautiful palms... We shall see how many will germinate for me, I might be able to spare you some..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Down to 4c here this morning and the coldest yet.

You must have a nice warm microclimate Mike.

I was looking at the long term averages for the Nelson Aerodrome and the temperature for each month was colder than Hobart....the nights in winter were a couple of degrees colder.

I'm assuming that the aerodrome (as you would expect) is out in the open and flat and so therefore more exposed?

I guess if I lived on the hill behind my house frost wouldn't be much of an issue!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Yes I'm in a microclimate - an elevated site (approx 90m)in a valley so we get less wind exposure and the frost drains down to the bottom of the valley. Hopefully, I will be the first person in the South Island (as far as I know) to grow Hyphorbe indica and Dypsis lutescens in the ground.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

You can always post a photo or two... Mike. We won't mind...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Going down to 4C tonight. Dewpoints are down at 5C at the moment. Going to be another cold one. Bunbury on the coast went down to zero last night. Up to 21C tomorrow, then 22 on Sat and 23C on Sunday then rain and nights around 9-11C and days around 18C. To be honest I will be glad when it rains so I can stop hand watering. Even though it's been cool, the plants are soaking the water up so quickly.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It is warmer again at night... in the 20's. The kids are back wearing nighties... although they still sleep under the doona at night...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gotta love Darwin. You're back to a Perth summer Ari. That's when we have the air con going and fans going at night. No doonas then I tell you. Mind you it can still be 30C at midnight in mid summer here.

Best regards

Tyrone

At 9.24pm it's 7.1C and falling outside. Unless the wind picks up, this could be a very cold night and maybe the coldest night in a few years. :(

Tyrone

Ouch, Tyrone... I hope it warms up for you.... It is 19.3deg at 00.41 am. Why am I awake?? I am not too sure....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Was 8deg here at around 8pm ,then the rain came in and the temp rose to 12.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

17.4 deg when I woke up this morning.... Can't complain... at least it is not below 10!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The rainy season is coming to an end, but not a fast one. There have been scattered heavy showers around the area. But, no steady rain. The sun was real hot around mid day and then it clouded up and rained in places around town cooling things off in general. So, we are not at a comfortable 30 C. In southern Brazil the forecast cold temperatures continue cold. Well not below zero in many places, but still cold for Brazil.

Manaus, Brazil

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Current Conditions

30° 5:47 PM PARTLY SUNNY

RealFeel® 33°

Winds E 13 kph

Relative Humidity 65%

Dew Point 23°

Barometric Pressure 101.1

Pressure Tendency Rising

Visibility 16

Sunrise 6/10/2010 6:01:09 AM

Sunset 6/10/2010 5:57:54 PM

post-188-12762054468569_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Perth went down to a min of 3.2C with no breeze. However the airport had a breeze and only dropped to 8C. Perth reportedly has no breeze now around 8am and is 5C whereas the breezy airport is 9.5C. I look out the window and my bamboo leaves are moving so I think we didn't get as cold as the "still" city. It's funny how that happens. You'd think being closer to the coast would make it warmer at night, but it doesn't always. I suppose Perth is too far inland to get a good warmup form the ocean like Fremantle is, but is also in the region where the winds can drop right out. Further inland the hills keep the wind going a bit longer and so it stays warmer, if you can call 8C warmer. :)

Only around 10 days to go to winter solstice and the days will be getting longer again. I've already forgotten what summer was like.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still reaching almost up to civilised temperatures. My place got down to 19.2C (66.6F) this morning. 69% was the peak of humidity early in the evening but then it swung back and forth as low as 54%. The maximum temp yesterday was 31.2C (88.2F) with humidity bottoming at 41%.

Skies are bright and sunny, no sign of any clouds. UV index is 8 now, that's about as low as it gets here as a predicted daily maximum. As Tyrone mentioned, not long to go before the shortest day. Then we'll start getting a bit more warmth in the sun.

Had to go into Darwin again today, thankfully that's it for a while. Hate city driving. Bought two palms to make up for it, both Arenga hookeriana. Fair sized clumps for only $12.50 each. There was a trunking Licuala grandis also for $12.50, but I resisted that temptation. (Ari, that was at Helmut's).

Called in at another nursery that had some Chamaedorea glaucifolia, between a metre and a metre and a half tall. It was marked down to $10. Don't know anything about that palm so thought I'd better not try it.

Ari, Allora had the same sized Corypha I bought for $10 for sale at $59.95. Their Prichardia was also $59.95 for a size about 10 cms more than what I paid $10 for. Their other plants were also pretty highly priced. They have a very attracive display and set up but I'm a bit of a cheap-skate buyer. Funnily enough aside from the palms, they had some plants labelled Hoya macgillivrayi which were clearly Hoya australia. Never got a chance to speak to any of them, they were too busy.

Tyrone, wind and lack of wind affect us like that as well. Still air seems to chill quite well.

Zig,

Yeah... the palms I got was from their shadehouse... not on the floor. And I deal with Dominique, nobody else. And I only buy unusual stuff, full stop. Otherwise, yes.. it is way too expensive for me too.

With Chamaedorea glaucifolia, they should do well in the shade and very easy to grow. If you want to grow Chamaedorea, get ernesti-augustii. Helen should still have some in town (have you been to Helen's place?). And tepejilote, which I have a few spares in the shade house... and of course the potato chip palm (tuerckheimi) but that is a bit more of a challenge to find.

Lucky you... that you don't have to drive to town very often. I have to do it 3-4 times a week since I work in town.

Tyrone,

Summer won't be long!!! My weather forum friends today notified us that is it 14 weeks to wet season :mrlooney:

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Zig, they're cheap palms. I'd have bought 10 of each. :D You don't get anything down here for $10, let alone a palm. I don't know how the nurseries up there survive at those prices. C glaucifolia is the most sun tolerant Chamie going. I had one doing well in fullsun through a summer that saw 44C. It just slightly yellowed. I planted it in shade and it looks much more lush, but I couldn't imagine any Chamie that sun tolerant before.

Ari, you're right. It's only 14 more weeks. By Sep 17th winter is over for us. We may get the odd cool wet day, but the plants pick up by then. Even by mid August winter is losing it's grip here, which would make it 10 weeks. Maybe I'm getting too optimistic. Here's our forecast. So far the rainfall for June our wettest month is a big fat Zero mm's. But that will change on Sun night.

Forecast for Saturday

Mostly sunny after a cold morning. Moderate NE'ly winds.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Min 5 Max 22

Mandurah: Min 10 Max 20

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Sunny. Min 5 Max 23

Monday Showers, easing. Min 11 Max 18

Tuesday Few showers. Min 9 Max 18

Wednesday Morning shower or two. Min 8 Max 18

Thursday Shower or two developing. Min 6 Max 19

Friday Shower or two. Min 7 Max 20

Best regards

Tyrone

I will do my rain dance for you, Tyrone... :winkie:. It has been working very well for me last wet season :) :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Perth went down to a min of 3.2C with no breeze. However the airport had a breeze and only dropped to 8C. Perth reportedly has no breeze now around 8am and is 5C whereas the breezy airport is 9.5C. I look out the window and my bamboo leaves are moving so I think we didn't get as cold as the "still" city. It's funny how that happens. You'd think being closer to the coast would make it warmer at night, but it doesn't always. I suppose Perth is too far inland to get a good warmup form the ocean like Fremantle is, but is also in the region where the winds can drop right out. Further inland the hills keep the wind going a bit longer and so it stays warmer, if you can call 8C warmer. :)

Only around 10 days to go to winter solstice and the days will be getting longer again. I've already forgotten what summer was like.

Best regards

Tyrone

My 7am temps are back up again (for now) with 7c this morning and 10c yesterday morning.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Pretty mold so far in Auckland this winter, Perth has gone lower than us on several occasions I see. Lowest so far at my cold Auckland property was 4.5°C about a week ago. Last few nights 11-13°C. No frosts yet... hope it lasts...

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Have you had much rain yet Michael? We've been stuck under high pressure systems which gives you beautiful clear days, but leaves the nights frigid with no blankets on the atmosphere. All will change on Monday when our rains start. Once the high pressure systems move a bit more north or keep going east, we get into a westerly stream and the nights warm up. Last week we had some 13,14C nights as we were in a cloudy NW air stream. But yes it's been cold at night. The microclimates work a treat though, and my frangipani still has all it's leaves on, but will probably start losing them soon. This time of year, as the days get shorter and when it's still dry can be our coldest time of the year.

Best regards

Tyrone

We had such a dry summer and autumn until about 10 days ago when it really started to bucket down over most of the country with a lot of flooding in the South. Auckland has had rain almost every day in the last 10. Mostly short heavy rain followed by sun and cloud at night so the temps haven't dropped to low. Personally I prefer the rain to the fine days in Winter... because ther isn't any frost on a cloudy night :)

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

My place was a victim of failing breezes last night. In the earlier part of the night the temperature dropped to a low of 17.2C (63.0F). Just after midnight a breeze came up and the temp went to over 20C and stayed there until just before dawn when the wind dropped and the temp went back down to a low of 17.7C (63.9C). Humidity got up to 91% early in the evening but went back down as low as the low 60's. Maximum yesterday only got to 30.7C (87.3F) with humidity bottoming out at 39%.

I might try a few C. glaucifolia, if I get back there and the price is still good. I don't know Helen's place, not by her first name at least.

The sky is blue, the sun is shining...so why is it so bloody cold. Its now mid afternoon and only 18.5. The heating is on and I am rugged up in bed. I should get out and put the sprinklers on, the ground is so dry (so whats new there ?) but I just cant leave my warm pooches and doona. Went down to 3 last night but will be a nice temperate 4 tonight !! A minor mishap yesterday has put me out of action for anything physical ( I fell 1.5 metres, straight down the lift well) so anything not yet mulched is going to have to take its chances if it freezes here. Many of the palms have spears coming up or opening....I think they confuse sunlight with summer, although it has been very high humidity here.

Peachy

27.35 south.

My place was a victim of failing breezes last night. In the earlier part of the night the temperature dropped to a low of 17.2C (63.0F). Just after midnight a breeze came up and the temp went to over 20C and stayed there until just before dawn when the wind dropped and the temp went back down to a low of 17.7C (63.9C). Humidity got up to 91% early in the evening but went back down as low as the low 60's. Maximum yesterday only got to 30.7C (87.3F) with humidity bottoming out at 39%.

I might try a few C. glaucifolia, if I get back there and the price is still good. I don't know Helen's place, not by her first name at least.

She is usually got an add in the paper if she is open, as she just sells from home. I haven't been there for ages myself as I have almost everything that she sells... although I wouldn't mind picking up another Bentickia from her. When you are off to town, let me know and I will pm you her contact details.

Peachy,

What did you do??? Are you ok?

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

ARI, I bent a few bones, got a ton of big black bruises and more cracked vertabrae. I feel better today but will be taking things very quietly till the spinal swelling settles. Between getting home from work about 5 am, and half an hour later when I went to let the poochie boys out for tinkles the motor failed on the lift and I went straight in, it was still dark, and the floor had dropped to the ground so down went mama. Been trying to find a Chammy glaucifolia for years....now I know they are all in Darwin.

Pilled up Peachy

27.35 south.

The website go it wrong. Last night went down to minus 1 !!!! According to the telly it is going to be the same again tonight. And me with about 3 dozen plants in pots sitting out in the driveway too. Guess it will either toughen them up or knock em rotten.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It looks like winter has set in over there in Australia. It continues pretty cool in southern Brazil. Here the dry season still has not really arrived.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Winter certainly has set in here. Last night got down to 6C in my gully...brrr! Today was picture perfect though, 20C and no cloud, no breeze, so nice and warm in the sun. The forecast looks much more promising as far as cold nights go...

Forecast for Sunday

Fine. Mostly moderate SW to SE winds.

Precis: Fine

City: Min 9 Max 21

Bayside: Min 8 Max 21

UV Alert: 10:50 am to 12:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Monday Shower or two Min 13 Max 20

Tuesday Shower or two Min 14 Max 21

Wednesday Shower or two Min 14 Max 21

Thursday Shower or two Min 14 Max 22

Friday Shower or two Min 13 Max 22

Saturday Fine Min 13 Max 21

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

ARI, I bent a few bones, got a ton of big black bruises and more cracked vertabrae. I feel better today but will be taking things very quietly till the spinal swelling settles. Between getting home from work about 5 am, and half an hour later when I went to let the poochie boys out for tinkles the motor failed on the lift and I went straight in, it was still dark, and the floor had dropped to the ground so down went mama. Been trying to find a Chammy glaucifolia for years....now I know they are all in Darwin.

Pilled up Peachy

Ouch, Peachy.... get well soon... Are you on pain medication now? It must be hard knowing your plants out there shivering and you are powerless to do anything about it.

I don't even know where Zig found C. glaucifolia... I guess I never look hard enough...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I hope you get better and mend up well soon Peachy.

We had a sunny 23C today after a 6.4C min. Tomorrow is a balmy 24C, then nothing but rain and high teens after that with warmer nights. Some cloud and moisture in the air will make a change.

Best regards

Tyrone

Last night the temp dropped steadily to 17.2C by midnight but within an hour jumped up to 22.2C. Then gradually it dropped back to 18.5C just after 7:00 am. This was the result of breezes coming and going. Humidity went up to 95% in the first half of the night but during the rest it dropped back and hovered in the 60's percentage. Yesterdays maximum was 32.2C with humidity bottoming at 40%.

The satellite image shows a massive cloud build up just barely to out north and a cloud band below us through the Pilbara/Great Sandy Desert area. In between where we are is absolutely clear.

Peachy, all I can say is "OUCH!!!!" But I just can't seem to work out the visual image of you stepping into a lift with no floor. I think I'm a bit confused. But get well soon, palms won't look after themselves.

DK, it's definitely got that winter feel, but it can still get worse before it gets better. July can be quite cold. August warms up but can deliver a surprise blast. Once September arrives the temps only go up.

Tyrone, I can see that cloud moving up towards you, it looks relatively warm. Although a fair way behind that there's a lot of cold air moving in.

Ari, the C. glaucifolia was at Allora.

Yeah Zig, It's going to be a beautiful day today then winter proper. Oh well, let's get it over and done with, and it's not all bad. I actually lose more stuff in summer than winter, and even then I lose very little. But if I got frost or severe hail, that would be different. Once it starts raining I'll start potting up my Rhopalostylis, and other cool loving palms.

24 today, 24 today!!!! I'm going out in the garden now. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Well it was warm for June today. Just shy of 25C which makes it not far off the record for June here. Rain tonight with a min of 13C and a max of 20C tomorrow.

Tyrone

Met service here is forecasting highs of 18 later in the week. Either we are in for a mild winter or I should be very afraid.....

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

A nice temperate 2 degrees last night and only reached a nippy 20 today. Tonight is a lot warmer, not supposed to go below 8....time will tell. I went outside for a few minutes today and everything has survived the minus 1.5 we had the other night.

Peachy

27.35 south.