• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Minimum reached 20.6C (69.1F) at 12:50am. Then it did its usual up, to 24.7C (76.5F), and back down to 20.6C (69.1F) at 4:40am. Humidity got up to 89%. Forecast maximum today 34C (93.2F) with wind from the east.

Stange for this time of year but there's a low pressure trying to form over the Kimberley region. Can't imagine it succeeding with these highs around.

3.1C again this morning. Clear skies. 17C max. At least the sun is out and will warm the soil even though the air won't.

Zig, a low over the Kimberley is there a forming? Don't worry, it will make its way to New Zealand, and miss us all. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still the same here in Jakarta..overnight low of 25C.. max of 31C...but they may be expecting showers this week, which is quite unusual for this time of year.

Meanwhile...back in Melbourne....lows of 6C...max's of 13C...showery squalls....

Hmmm...decisions.... :hmm:

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

3.1C again this morning. Clear skies. 17C max. At least the sun is out and will warm the soil even though the air won't.

Zig, a low over the Kimberley is there a forming? Don't worry, it will make its way to New Zealand, and miss us all. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

You seem to be getting some cold nights Tyrone - I've noticed your lows have been lower than ours a few times in the last week or so....but thats not too common unfortunately. It was a balmy 16C here today, clear skies though, so could be trouble tonight!

9 frosts and counting.....if it keeps up at this rate, we'll do 30 for the winter - which would be a horrible record to achieve....we need rain badly now in South East Tasmania.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Looks like we are in for a cold one tonight...forecast was for min of 9C, but it is already 11C at 6pm...roll on spring! Spent the day up in Brisbane and it was very chilly up there...a comparatively balmy 19C at home. Felt like the coldest day in a few years. Thought about getting a sweater out!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I saw a bit of frost this morning at Bankstown, and it was only 4.7c at Observatory Hill, which could be the coldest of this winter.

It's tough living in a harsh 10a climate, but luckily we are Aussies and can take it on the chin.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

I just read it was the coldest June temperatur since 1983.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Actually quite humid today... There were talk about rain in July. I will believe it when I see it. It would be nice though.. The garden is dry and the bore has been going...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Filthy cold day here. Max of 16, I had to stay indoors and leave the heating on. Down to 1 degree last night, only a slight improvement over yesterdays min. of 0. By 10 this evening it was down to 5, but the cloud cover has thickened and its now 8 degrees. I think I can sleep tonight without the worry of a frost appearing. I have noticed the park opposite has no green grass left after the freezing night on sunday. All okay here still.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I noticed SE QLD has warmed up in the last few hours thank goodness. I thought it was going down the Perth route. Almost identical situation only we kept plummeting in temp. Since the last cold front, the weather is stuffed. It can't warm up again. The high won't let it. Surprisingly my coconut is still growing, but it has slowed in the last week. Only about 2mm per night compared to about 5mm about a week ago.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

5.1C at midnight and pressure of 1031.9hPa and were not under the centre of the high. It's a big high this one. I wish it would rain.

Robbin, that's warmer than what I experienced in the Netherlands when I was there. When it got over 20C for a maximum they thought it was a heat wave. Your palms will be loving it.

Deiftnely enjoy my heat.

@ Tropicalbreeze. When where you over here? Maximums from 20C is not rare for here or something. Most of the time I see my first 20C Maximum somwhere in early spring like March or April. In summermonths, June, July and August you normally see every day 20C or higher. Specially the last couple years we also see many 20C days in September or October.

Last year was also a good summer with almost 36C as highest temperature of the year, and night temperatures that swing mostly between the 13-17C during the summer months.

This June is good so far, almost every day above the 20C, 10 of them where above the 25C and 2 with 30C. Forecast is not bad either with "only" 26C tomorrow but a 30C on thursday and 32/33C on friday. Still above the 20C right now at 23.00 hour. :winkie:

Living in The Netherlands isn't bad all the time... :drool:

Southwest

Since the winter summer threads have started the southern hemisphere group certainly have been the main contributors. And, it is interesting, but not unusual, that cold weather gets a lot more action than hot weather.

Here in my part of the world it is just another boring day on the equator. I am north of the equator in Boa Vista, Roraima right now. So, I am in the summer, or the northern equatorial winter.

Boa Vista, Brazil

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Current Conditions

82° 5:09 PM PARTLY SUNNY

RealFeel® 88°

Winds W 6 mph

Relative Humidity 69%

Dew Point 72°

Barometric Pressure 29.9

Pressure Tendency Unavailable

Visibility 10

Sunrise 6/29/2010 5:57:44 AM

Sunset 6/29/2010 6:14:53 PM

Three-Day Forecast

Tuesday Clouds and sunshine with a couple of brief showers beginning at midday

High Temperature: 87

Low Temperature: 75

Wednesday Cloudy; occasional rain and drizzle in the morning followed by a shower in spots in the afternoon

High Temperature: 89

Thursday A morning shower in spots followed by a couple of thunderstorms around in the afternoon

High Temperature: 89

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

2.2C min and 1032.9hPa. Going for 18C. No clouds.

Don, I'd take your "boring" weather any day. My last E precatoria is hanging in there in my tunnel, and seems to be fine. It must have had some strong genetics because all the others fell over all at once mid last winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Only 4.3c at Observatory Hill this morning - the coldest June temperature since 1949!

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Phillip, how far is Observatory Hill from the harbour. Inner Sydney seems to stay warm due to the harbour influence. I wouldn't call 4.3C that startlingly cold.

Best regards

Tyrone

Do you like bone chilling frost do you? Yes, let's do a swap. You can have our freezing nights and we can have your blankets in the sky. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Don't get frosts at my place so I'd rather have the warmth of the sun during the day at the expense of colder nights. Don't mind the rain but we've had our fair share for a while. More rain forecast for the weekend - probably that low in the Kimberly.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Tyrone frost doesnt form on the snow over there. You silly old sausage.

Peachy

27.35 south.

dry again today... after humid yesterday. Hurry up wet season, so I can plant my licuala bed.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Phillip, how far is Observatory Hill from the harbour. Inner Sydney seems to stay warm due to the harbour influence. I wouldn't call 4.3C that startlingly cold.

Best regards

Tyrone

Right next to the Harbour Bridge... a good microclimate like the botanical Gardens.

It was -4C further west

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Best regards

Tyrone

Right next to the Harbour Bridge... a good microclimate like the botanical Gardens.

It was -4C further west

Daryl

Well that explains everything then. That's like taking the temp from Fremantle Harbour. Entirely comparable I reckon.

Not cooler then 17.4C last night and got finally 27.5C today and a nice warm evening is going on with still 25C and some nice sunshine, we going for a 31C/87.7F tomorrow :lol:

Because it haven't raining very well for a while, I give the garden loads of water this evening, so they can enjoy the 30C days even more ;) Have been working in someone else his garden the last few days, they don't use exotics but there grass where almost brown. Almost every grassfield over here in the southwest is turning brown now and saw some trees few days ago for the first time with leafes hanging down.

post-171-12779186765426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

June was remarkably bland. It normally doesn't rain during summer but the coastal clouds were very prevalent this month and kept the temperatures below normal.

June 2010 Data

Average Max: 79.1F\ 26.1C - Norm: 83F

Average Min: 60.4F\ 15.7C - Norm: 63F

Average Mean: 69.7F\ 20.9C - Norm: 73F

Highest Max: 85F\ 29.4C

Lowest Max: 70F\ 21.1C

Highest Min: 64F\ 17.7C

Lowest Min: 58F\ 14.4C

Heating degree days: 1

Cooling degree days: 149

Maximums

80's: 17

70’s: 13

Minimums

60's: 22

50’s: 8

Rainfall: .00

Rain days:

Rainyear: 22.13 [jul-jun]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

June was remarkably bland. It normally doesn't rain during summer but the coastal clouds were very prevalent this month and kept the temperatures below normal.

June 2010 Data

Maximums

Minimums

Rain days:

I'd be very dissapointed if they were my December figures which is the equivalent month for us.

Well history appears to be repeating for us down here in West Oz. I'm sick of high pressure zones.

Forecast for Thursday

Sunny. Light N/NW winds, freshening later.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 17

Mandurah: Max 16

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Forecast for Friday

Shower or two mainly morning. Moderate N/NW winds, ahead of a fresh S'ly change

early morning.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Min 5 Max 16

Mandurah: Min 9 Max 15

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 3 Max 16

Sunday Mostly sunny. Min 2 Max 16

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 1 Max 17

Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 2 Max 17

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 3 Max 18

Best regards

Tyrone

I was doing some work in Mosman Park near Fremantle today. Even though it's been cool the days have been beautiful. I took this shot of some P dactylifera's near the Indian Ocean with my phone so the res is a bit low. They were at the entrance to the estate.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-12779770543271_thumb.jpg

Overnight temperature dropped to a minimum of 21.9C (71.4F) at 2:30am then rose a few degrees before dawn. High humidity 90%.

Maximum today 33.2C (91.8F), lowest humidity 38%.

Robbin, I was there in the early 80's, mainly Amsterdam, Haarlem and Enschede. Amsterdam was a "main base" for me in Europe (Paris was another). I had friends there to stay with. They didn't really like the heat, like anything over 20C. I know it did get over 20, I remember them complaining.

Ari, we'll be lucky to get any rain in September. And even if we do your Licualas will be saying "We want more!" Not even October rain wets the ground enough.

That looks like a snazzy little development Tyrone. For once the old Phoenix palms dont look too bad. Last night had a warm minimum of 9, and tonight feels about the same. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow but as I always say.....I'll believe it when I see it. Found a spear coming up on the Calyptrogyne today !! Only a couple of my palms are showing signs of cold, the rest dont seem to have realised its winter.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Made it to July with only 1 very mild frost. Might get a mild frost tonight too according to metservice, but not to bad after that.

Saturday Min 7 Max 14

Sunday Min 9 Max 14

Monday Min 8 Max 14

Tuesday Min 10 Max 14

Wednesday Min 10 Max 16

Thursday Min 10 Max 15

Friday Min 10 Max 16

Saturday Min 11 Max 16

However... I do not know why they bother predicting so far in advance when they can't get it right from day to day.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Reached to 29.0C here, because there was to much wind from the west it haven't reach to the forecasted 30C. At the moment it sooo nice outside, just got below the 25 around 22.15 hour, 24.9C at the moment.

Don't sure if i'm going to be below the 20C tonight. Tomorrow is going to be hot and nice! 34C forecasted for here, in the southeast even a bit higher with 35-36C. I guess we are going to see a map like 20 august 2009 in the afternoon again.

Here is the map from that day, from official weather stations from our national weather service.

207201015226.png

Southwest

Robbin, I was there in the early 80's, mainly Amsterdam, Haarlem and Enschede. Amsterdam was a "main base" for me in Europe (Paris was another). I had friends there to stay with. They didn't really like the heat, like anything over 20C. I know it did get over 20, I remember them complaining.

Do you still have those friends? Can't imagen that they don't enjoy 20C days.

However in the early 80's is a long time ago, climate change has defitnely push up the temperatures since then. I'm born in 1987, and I can only remember that 20C days is quite normal specially in summer in the most of the days it's 20C or higher. Our normal average in July is 22C but most of the time it's warmer. Specially the last few years since 2003, we seen more and more heat in the for us more extreme form. 2003 was very hot, 2006 was hot with temperatures till 35-37C and loads of 30C days. Last summer was also warm with loads of sunshine and warm temperatures but not to many 30C days but also seen 35C again, and now it looks like it will be there again on large scale in the country.

But we do see bad summers like 2007 and 2008 with loads of rain, but most of the times temperatures still reach the 20C. I like summers like 2003,2006,2009 and also this year so far much more with the nice heat.

So maybe it's time to visit our beautifull small country again :D

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

June 2010 Data

Maximums

Minimums

Rain days:

I'd be very dissapointed if they were my December figures which is the equivalent month for us.

Well history appears to be repeating for us down here in West Oz. I'm sick of high pressure zones.

Forecast for Thursday

Forecast for Friday

early morning.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, for a California palm gardener having cool summer weather means slow growth during a time of the year we count on for heat. Interestingly, June 2009 was even cooler but it is the cumulative cool this year that is troublesome. For example the coldest monthly maximum for 2010 thus far has been February at 68.8F\ 20.4C but the warmest month, June, was only 11 degrees Fahrenheit warmer at 79.1F\ 26.1C and since April temps have been running 3-5 degrees below normal. Some have suggested that the world-wide volcanic activity this year may be disrupting the sun's rays but it is warmer than normal over the eastern half of America so that theory isn't correct. The onset of La Nina can produce persistent troughs over the West Coast so perhaps that is the explanation. Near-shore ocean water temps have been normal yet night temps are running up to 5 degrees below normal.

Everything is of-course relative and people inland from the ocean are praising this summer for not having to hardly use air conditioning. I mentioned my disappointment over the cool weather this June at a block party last weekend and everyone looked at me like I was nuts. :lol: At least I have not had to irrigate much.

Today's maximum: 82F\ 27.7C [normal for July: 88F\ 31.1C]

Tyrone, have you ever experienced cool summers in Perth?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Made it to July with only 1 very mild frost. Might get a mild frost tonight too according to metservice, but not to bad after that.

Saturday Min 7 Max 14

Sunday Min 9 Max 14

Monday Min 8 Max 14

Tuesday Min 10 Max 14

Wednesday Min 10 Max 16

Thursday Min 10 Max 15

Friday Min 10 Max 16

Saturday Min 11 Max 16

However... I do not know why they bother predicting so far in advance when they can't get it right from day to day.

Seems to be a climate inversion Michael...you're having the winter we had last year and we're having yours!

Frosty, dry, cold....at least its sunny. Bloody freezing outside now though - about 4C at 6.00pm. Big frost looms.

However, Bangalows, Livistona's, CIDP, Parajubaeas, Butias and LHI palms are all still happily pushing leaves out.

Even my 3 R. rivularis', which have been mangled by frost, are still pushing their (still green) spears out....

I dont think our frost is heavy enough to kill most subtropicals - just to annoy them - its all gone by 9.00am usually.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Love this weather!

Not cooler then 21.7C/71.6F here last night and the minimum we saw in the early night. Around 02.30 hour the temperatures started to rise already, with means when the sun was shining in the morning temperatures where up to 24-25C already. At the moment it's 30C/86F here, curious how warm it will be today...

But first going to watch Hollandico against Brazil this afternoon :drool:

Southwest

Saturday Min 7 Max 14

Sunday Min 9 Max 14

Monday Min 8 Max 14

Tuesday Min 10 Max 14

Wednesday Min 10 Max 16

Thursday Min 10 Max 15

Friday Min 10 Max 16

Saturday Min 11 Max 16

Seems to be a climate inversion Michael...you're having the winter we had last year and we're having yours!

Frosty, dry, cold....at least its sunny. Bloody freezing outside now though - about 4C at 6.00pm. Big frost looms.

However, Bangalows, Livistona's, CIDP, Parajubaeas, Butias and LHI palms are all still happily pushing leaves out.

Even my 3 R. rivularis', which have been mangled by frost, are still pushing their (still green) spears out....

I dont think our frost is heavy enough to kill most subtropicals - just to annoy them - its all gone by 9.00am usually.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Yes Jonathan the 6 frosts i have had here have been very mild low of 0.6c . The chambeyronia seedling (from Pogo) that i have in the open & frostiest part of the garden looks exactly the same as it did in Febuary -a good sign ! Same for the Chatham Island Rhopy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

June 2010 Data

Maximums

Minimums

Rain days:

Forecast for Thursday

Forecast for Friday

early morning.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, for a California palm gardener having cool summer weather means slow growth during a time of the year we count on for heat. Interestingly, June 2009 was even cooler but it is the cumulative cool this year that is troublesome. For example the coldest monthly maximum for 2010 thus far has been February at 68.8F\ 20.4C but the warmest month, June, was only 11 degrees Fahrenheit warmer at 79.1F\ 26.1C and since April temps have been running 3-5 degrees below normal. Some have suggested that the world-wide volcanic activity this year may be disrupting the sun's rays but it is warmer than normal over the eastern half of America so that theory isn't correct. The onset of La Nina can produce persistent troughs over the West Coast so perhaps that is the explanation. Near-shore ocean water temps have been normal yet night temps are running up to 5 degrees below normal.

Everything is of-course relative and people inland from the ocean are praising this summer for not having to hardly use air conditioning. I mentioned my disappointment over the cool weather this June at a block party last weekend and everyone looked at me like I was nuts. :lol: At least I have not had to irrigate much.

Today's maximum: 82F\ 27.7C [normal for July: 88F\ 31.1C]

Tyrone, have you ever experienced cool summers in Perth?

Yes. Jan 07 after our coldest winter ever in 2006 was very cool. We averaged 28C that month. Then back in 1997 we didn't even make 100F once. I think our absolute max was 37C (98F). Our summers are almost guaranteed to be hot, so if we don't make 38C once it's been cool.

Interestingly, even though we had some very cold weather in June, the last 12 moths were the hottest when averaged out on record. Records go back to the 1880's.

But the forecasts keep getting worse.

Forecast for Friday evening

Partly cloudy. Light to moderate S/SE winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

Forecast for Saturday

Partly cloudy. Light to moderate S/SE winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Min 2 Max 15

Mandurah: Min 6 Max 15

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 1 Max 16

Monday Cloud increasing. Min 1 Max 17

Tuesday Morning shower. Min 4 Max 17

Thursday Few showers developing later. Min 3 Max 19

Friday Showers. Min 8 Max 19

I can't wait for next Friday for that toasty 8C min. :D

Tyrone

Saturday Min 7 Max 14

Sunday Min 9 Max 14

Monday Min 8 Max 14

Tuesday Min 10 Max 14

Wednesday Min 10 Max 16

Thursday Min 10 Max 15

Friday Min 10 Max 16

Saturday Min 11 Max 16

Cheers,

Jonathan

4C at 6pm. That sounds almost like what we had a week ago.

A friend of mine about 45km away in a frost hollow was telling me how his tropical palms are all going. He said he dropped down to -1C and that his lawn is brown because it was covered in solid ice like a plate. I said to him that sounds much colder than -1C. Then he said to me that his thermometer was under his back patio. I then said you probably saw -3 or -4C. Amazingly his spindle palms didn't spot up, and quite a few palms look fine, except for his Carpoxylon that sounds like it melted. His Foxy Ladies have just turned yellow, and considering the temp he likely went down too, isn't too bad. The amazing thing is he has 3 huge Dypsis pink crownshafts that didn't yellow at all and are opening new spears. Those things are incredible.

I hope they don't get knocked on the head this weekend. He may go down that cold again. It makes me feel lucky to live in an area that the worst it will get is a little bit of crunchy grass way out on the verge.

Best regards

Tyrone

Love this weather!

Not cooler then 21.7C/71.6F here last night and the minimum we saw in the early night. Around 02.30 hour the temperatures started to rise already, with means when the sun was shining in the morning temperatures where up to 24-25C already. At the moment it's 30C/86F here, curious how warm it will be today...

But first going to watch Hollandico against Brazil this afternoon :drool:

Enjoy the heat. It must feel good. I've already forgotten what that feels like. Imagine what it would feel like if it was still 32C at midnight. That's an Oz summer. :)

Best regards

Tyrone