• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

I'd set up some of those gas heaters out in the garden! Airport temp still dropping at the same rate...1.5C in last hour..down to 4.5...3 hours to freezing at the airport? You need a north westerly breeze to kick in now...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I'd set up some of those gas heaters out in the garden! Airport temp still dropping at the same rate...1.5C in last hour..down to 4.5...3 hours to freezing at the airport? You need a north westerly breeze to kick in now...

Daryl

It aint going to happen Daryl. Only NE forecast. Just had a look at Perth down to 5.1C, Jandakot, 3.9C and Geraldton at 28S approx (similar to Brissie) at 5.9C at 9.30pm. Geraldton is strong subtropics right on the coast.!!!!!! We're all going to have a tough night I think. My microclimate will hold a number of degrees, so I'm not too worried about what's in my garden, but I wish it would warm up. The rate of temp drop is very scary at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yeah, scary temps..plummeting! It has dropped 6C in the last 4 hours, and still falling. Reminiscent of that horrible night we had back in winter 07, except your temps are about 4 hours earlier.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Ty I really hope you dont get a frost but the low temps at night shouldnt worry your palms too much. It's probably just an unusually cold night. Even my seedlings dont seem too bothered by the occasional 0 or thereabouts. best of british.

Zig I have seen Gove once and that quite enough for me. They can use it for a nuclear test site for all I care. Same goes for Bundaberg, Rockhampton and most points west of the Great Dividing Range. I am quite willing to freeze to death in Manhattan, Melbourne, Chicago or Paris !! But being cooked alive in a steamer is not my choice of a way to go.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Yeah, scary temps..plummeting! It has dropped 6C in the last 4 hours, and still falling. Reminiscent of that horrible night we had back in winter 07, except your temps are about 4 hours earlier.

Daryl

This could be a new record that beats the rubbish cold we had in 2006. Perth went down to neg 0.7C the first time below zero in recorded history and the airport hit minus 1.1C. I think Jandakot hit minus 3C that night. That night I went down to 2C in the most exposed part of my yard.

I'm going to bed. I'll see how we are in the morning. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ty I really hope you dont get a frost but the low temps at night shouldnt worry your palms too much. It's probably just an unusually cold night. Even my seedlings dont seem too bothered by the occasional 0 or thereabouts. best of british.

Zig I have seen Gove once and that quite enough for me. They can use it for a nuclear test site for all I care. Same goes for Bundaberg, Rockhampton and most points west of the Great Dividing Range. I am quite willing to freeze to death in Manhattan, Melbourne, Chicago or Paris !! But being cooked alive in a steamer is not my choice of a way to go.

Peachy

I hope you're right Peachy. :)

Not cooler then 14.6C last night, and 27C at the moment, lovely... :)

Southwest

Had a calm night last night so I was expecting the chill to move in. Temperature did drop but only down to 19.8C (67.6F) at my place with humidity up to 96%. Funnily enough Noonamah AWS recorded a low of 20.3C (68.5F) when usually it's been the other way around. Maybe the tower got a slight breeze not strong enough to register. Predicted to get to 34C (93.2F) today.

The suns just coming up now, and we dropped down to 0.2C. Not unheard of here, but rare nonetheless. I've just been outside to assess things and nothing has ice on it except my verge lawn that has no street tree, and the light crispy lawn ends at my property boundary like some force field has halted it. No ice on my car either. I can do without these sort of temps. Last year we didn't get below 3.1C. There's a lawn across the road a few houses down from me that has no trees in the garden and it's all ice. The thermometer under my back patio is reading 3.5C. When the sun comes up a bit more I'll see what the coconut bottomed out at.

I left the computer on all night and got up from time to time to see what it had dropped too. Needless to say I didn't sleep well. Luckily the rate of temp drop that we saw earlier in the night didn't continue all night. The brakes came on somehow and we didn't go below zero except for Jandakot that hit minus 1.8C, and Pearce airforce base which hit minus 0.4C. It's not over yet of course, the sun is only just coming up so we could drop fractionally as the sun rises. Also tomorrows min isn't giving me much comfort. 2C. :(

Tyrone

Mate - that's cold...especially for Perth !! And some cold minimums coming up I see.

I am in Surabaya, Indonesia's 2nd largest city. Surabaya is on the eastern tip of Java, very close to Bali. I think it dropped down to a shivering 25C last night. :lol:

Back home it's raining, and set to rain tomorrow too. Keep filling those tanks Huey.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Hi Michael, the final low temp once the sun rose was 0.1C. I tell you what, I couldn't live with this nonsense every winter. Jandakot went down to minus 2C. That's why you don't try golden canes or foxtails there. Pointless.

Lucky you up in Surabaya. 25C and humid at night. Nothing like it. :)

I'm glad it's raining in Melbourne as it keeps the real cold events away, and fills your tanks. The rainy season has tried kicking in here, but has come and gone. If it doesn't start in a couple of weeks properly we're in real trouble over here. Not just from the lack of rainfall but from this cold weather. At least every day this week is going to have decent sunshine. All I have to do is capture as much heat as possible and release it slowly at night.

Enjoy the tropics mate. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Too cold Tyrone...looks like you dodged a bullet there though! It's a relatively balmy 19C here, but wouldn't you give your left one to live in the tropics!

Daryl

Absolutely. I agree with everything you said there Daryl. :D

Tyrone, did you notice that low developing off Sumatra? On a bit lower lat than before but with a bit of luck might transport a pool of warmer humid air down your way. Of course, that won't happen soon enough for the weather you're having now. That low near NZ is blocking the high over the east and helping maintain our easterly flow. But by end of weekend we might be back to the south easterlies.

Damn that's cold Tyrone!

We're having quite a warm winter here... hasn't gone below 20 degrees yet. Surely it will soon...

Nice and sunny today (has been overcast and raining the last few days).

Everything is still growing like crazy, although I don't have to mow the lawn weekly now.

Perfect really - wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Welcome to my world Tyrone. I dont get much sleep on the nights that go below freezing. Although there's absolutely nothing I can do about it with all the bigger palms. If stuff gets burnt, so be it. Most of them seem to come back okay. There is an old coconut in a garden not far from here and it has been through all kinds of extremes. As for that mean old Miccles boasting away, remember he is a lot closer to Krakatoa and things might get hotter than he would like. :rolleyes: Last word...my foxtails all only just over a metre high at the time, survived -5 and a black frost and the bananas, though burnt on the outside came back in no time. So dont get too frazzled.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Crap crap crap crap. :unsure:

Forecast for Friday evening

Clear. Light E/NE winds.

Precis: Clear.

Forecast for Saturday

A cold morning followed by a cool and sunny day. Light NE/NW winds.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Min 1 Max 17

Mandurah: Min 5 Max 16

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Chance of a light shower. Min 4 Max 17

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 4 Max 16

Tuesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 16

Wednesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 17

Thursday Sunny. Min 5 Max 17

Friday Sunny. Min 5 Max 18

Zig, there is meant to be a mid level disturbance move over the west coast late next week. That may connect to the low near Sumatra somehow, or it may be one and the same. That will mean higher night temps.

Nothing got damaged from last nights extremes. The coconut only went down to 4C in it's little plastic world, and I think it actually grew overnight!!!!!! I think because it's sunny through the day, the negative effects of the night may be minimized

I will be down at Busselton tonight and I won't be near a computer so I won't be watching the BOM through the night. What can I do anyway. I'm quite pleased that my microclimates held 3-4C over the ambient temp. Even my frangipani looks OK and it's closest to the outside world. I'm looking forward to Sunday morning when we have a warm minimum of 4C!!!!! :D

Best regards

Tyrone

It's 5.30pm and 10.1C!!!!!!!! It's dropped 2C in half an hour. There is zip wind, and no clouds. Welcome to the new Canberra of the west coast. I don't want to say this, but we may see record cold tonight. Maybe minus 1C for the Perth CBD. That means 2-3C in my garden which is not going to damage anything I'm growing, but way too cold for here. I'm only 18km from a warm ocean, what's going on?????? :(

Tyrone and Peachy, do you guys grow Carica papaya where you live? I'm experimenting with them at the moment (in pots only). With your sometimes chilly over night lows, makes me wonder how they would cope in your areas?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Mike I dont even know what that is. I pulled out the avocado and mango trees when I realised how big they get, but both survive very well in my area. Papayas are similar to paw paw n'cest pas ? I can grow paw paw here. Need a bit of protection when young but otherwise they live. I guess you just have to wait till spring, chip a hole in the permafrost and see how it goes. I grow a lot of stuff here that people say had no chance but they are okay.

Peachy

27.35 south.

If you mean Paw Paws, yes they grow here well. As well as mangoes and Avacado's etc

It's 5.30pm and 10.1C!!!!!!!! It's dropped 2C in half an hour. There is zip wind, and no clouds. Welcome to the new Canberra of the west coast. I don't want to say this, but we may see record cold tonight. Maybe minus 1C for the Perth CBD. That means 2-3C in my garden which is not going to damage anything I'm growing, but way too cold for here. I'm only 18km from a warm ocean, what's going on?????? :(

Tyrone, I know you're out of town tonight, but it is only 5C in Perth at 7:30pm! A very cold night ahead for your palms. Hopefully it will warm up through the night.

Daryl

We'll be thinking of you, Tyrone... I hope it doesn't get colder...

BTW, cloudy tonight and it is 23.6deg 81% humidity at 12.31 am.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yesterday saw clouds for the first time for a while. Only about 10 - 15% cover at most. Night time the cloud disappeared (I think you must have got it all Ari). The wind dropped completely which sent the temperature down. But around midnight a breeze came up and the temp sat around 25.8C (78.4F) for a while. Then around 1:00 am it was on its way down again when the breeze died.

Minimum of 17.4C (63.3F) this morning with humidity peaking at 97%. Yesterday's maximum was 33.2C (91.8F) and low humidity was 47%.

Predicted to get to 34C (93.2F) today with UV index of 8. Bright clear blue sky now with some wind.

Haven't heard from Tyrone yet but these are the BOM minimums recorded this morning:

Perth -0.6C (30.9F)

Perth Airport 0.2C (32.4F)

Jandakot -2.5C (27.5F)

Mandurah 8.5C (47.3F)

(I thought Perth airport was at Jandakot.)

15.5C last night, and 25C already again with a whole afternoon to go.. love this weather! Love the forecast with every day 26-29C and 13-15C for the nights for the next 7-10 days :)

Southwest

Mike I dont even know what that is. I pulled out the avocado and mango trees when I realised how big they get, but both survive very well in my area. Papayas are similar to paw paw n'cest pas ? I can grow paw paw here. Need a bit of protection when young but otherwise they live. I guess you just have to wait till spring, chip a hole in the permafrost and see how it goes. I grow a lot of stuff here that people say had no chance but they are okay.

Peachy

Already tried the hole in the permafrost approach and was unsuccessful. Will have to keep them in pots against my dark block wall to have any chance of producing any fruit. Yes they are Paw Paw which is the common name. I'm hoping they will become easier to look after once they are past the seedling stage. I had 11 seedlings going into winter but have lost a few with 4 now indoors and 2 still hanging on outside.

Just to stay on topic, had a high of 16c here today and haven't been below 4c so far this winter. Certainly has been mild up to this point.

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Yeah.. Mike, I have them... but it won't be relevant to you, I guess...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another mild winter night...still 11 degrees and its after midnight. 96% humidity, also fairly normal for here. Apart from a few brief 2 minute showers the forecast rain was nonexistant so tomorrow the sprinkler has to go on again. Palms are sending up spears and even some of them are opening. The anthuriums outside are still flowering, the begonias too so I really cant tell what the weather is going to do. Guess my microclimate must be starting to develop as these things dont usually happen at this time of year.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Temperature dropped to 17.7C (63.9F) by 1:00 am then with a breeze starting up it rose to 23.1C (73.6F) by 2:00 am. After that the breeze died and it slowly went down to the overnight minimum of 16.2C (61.2F) at 6:30 am. Don't know why there's wind all day every day but at night it dies. Humidity peaked at 86%. Yesterdays maximum was 34.4C (93.9F)with a low humidity of 32%.

Mike, you Kiwis seem to be having a love affair with that low pressure. It's been sitting over you for ages, like a broody chook on a clutch of eggs. Paw Paws grow in Sydney, but not everywhere. What will do them in is cold water on their roots, typically from winter rains.

Peachy, how far inland are you?

These are the BOM minimums for the Perth area this morning:

Perth 2.4C (36.3F)

Perth Airport 1.7C (35.1F)

Jandakot 1.4C (34.5F)

Mandurah 9.4C (48.9F)

Temperature dropped to 17.7C (63.9F) by 1:00 am then with a breeze starting up it rose to 23.1C (73.6F) by 2:00 am. After that the breeze died and it slowly went down to the overnight minimum of 16.2C (61.2F) at 6:30 am. Don't know why there's wind all day every day but at night it dies. Humidity peaked at 86%. Yesterdays maximum was 34.4C (93.9F)with a low humidity of 32%.

Mike, you Kiwis seem to be having a love affair with that low pressure. It's been sitting over you for ages, like a broody chook on a clutch of eggs. Paw Paws grow in Sydney, but not everywhere. What will do them in is cold water on their roots, typically from winter rains.

Peachy, how far inland are you?

These are the BOM minimums for the Perth area this morning:

Perth 2.4C (36.3F)

Perth Airport 1.7C (35.1F)

Jandakot 1.4C (34.5F)

Mandurah 9.4C (48.9F)

Yes that's right Zig. We've had a mild winter so far but that has come at the cost of less high pressure sunny days and more low pressure and rain. Classic La Nina.

Winter rain is exactly what hammered most of my Paw Paw. Should have kept them dry. Oh well, still have 6 left and loads of seeds.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Well Zig has been reporting on the Perth deep freeze really well. On Fri night, Sat morning I was watching the temp plummet on my mobile phone. We got so close to breaking the record cold for us set in 2006 of -0.7C at roughly the same time in June too. The previous record was 0C set years before that. So the record for Perth since the 1880's stands at -0.7C. Way too cold.

We left Perth on Friday night with not a cloud in the sky, and when we got down to Bunbury the cloud was in, but still no rain. A little further south to Busselton which is just north of Margaret River and it was pelting with rain and basically didn't clear up until this morning, but it was warm in comparison to Perth. The high that froze Perth was responsible for the lack of rain too. Perth should have had a wet weekend. We cruised down on the new Bunbury Freeway, and it was awesome. 2hrs and 20min from inner Perth to Busselton 230km away.

What did I find when i got home? The coconut looks fine and it didn't drop below 4C, just like the previous night where it went down to 0.1C, and under my patio it showed the same low reading as the night before at 3.5C. No palms are damaged or even yellowing. My verge grass is a mix of couch and buffalo and the couch spots closest to the kerb are dead and crispy, whereas the buffalo is green. Good riddance. My Frangipani not far from the burnt couch is looking normal with 90% green leaves and a few dead and dying leaves which is normal this time of year.

Coming back home we left the cloud down in Busselton and had blue skies all the way, until we got to around Mandurah where the cloud thickened up. It's cloudy now, but I just hope the cloud stays all night and doesn't decide to go away after sundown leaving us with another freezing night. We're going for a min of 5C which compared to the last few days actually sounds warm.

Zig Jandakot airport is the light aircraft airport. Perth airport is the Domestic/International Airport and is far enough away to not get tangled up in the hundreds of light planes that fly around Jandakot. Then there's Pearce airforce base NE of Perth on the way to Geraldton.

Mike, I think anyones Paw Paws growing here that were unprotected and saw minuses here would have collapsed in a big pile of green puke. They don't handle frost. But they normally grow well here, as our averages are OK and we very seldom see temps close to zero, although this seems to be a more regular occurrence in the last few years. Our last cold record event in 2006 followed a very mild and cool summer, whereas this one has followed a record hot summer. However both cold winter events are correlating with very low winter rainfall, which makes more sense due to lack of clouds and warm moisture.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well tonights forecast sounded scary and I was out in the cold dragging heavy pots to more sheltered places but its now after midnight and still 11 point something, so hopefully jack frost wont visit tonight. Some of the frangipanis still have leaves and many palms have spears opening still. Bought some more lucerne to throw about. Great stuff as mulch and really improves the black chewy that passes as soil here. It gets so warm underneath, I'm sure that is what saves half my plants from cold damage. Still very dry here, but humidity is high. Can never quite work that out. Zig I am 38 klms sth west of the Brisbane GPO. Still in the suburbs in fact. We are very low lying here, I am only 8 metres above sealevel and on the eastern side of a hill so frost is always a risk. I have noticed that only areas between the hills are prone to it. I had to move from Melbourne to Qld to experience real cold !!! Breaking news, my Chamaerops humilis sp vulcano seeds have germinated !!! Hot or cold those puppies should thrive here.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Summeeeerrrr!

Reached tot 30.5C/86.9F after a night not cooler then 16C/60.8F, and still 27C at the moment around 20.45 hour. Forecast is soo nice with the same temperatures tomorrow and the similair temperatures the rest of the weeks. Some models pushing even some more heat in the end of the week, and dry dry dry!

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin enjoy your heat.

Those clouds we had yesterday cleared away at sundown. :rage:

We dropped to just below 3C this morning. Still much too cold.

I could do with some NW winds and some warm ocean air filled with moisture and rain, and then afterwards a nice light westerly with no southerly component in it, and no clearing high. I hate high pressure zones. They just drop in here like an unwanted guest that just won't leave or take a hint.

Tyrone

There was a bit of cloud around again yesterday and into the evening. But the temperature dropped fairly quickly to 20.5C (68.9F) by 11:00pm. Then it went up and by midnight was 25.3C (77.5F). After that it slowly went down to 21.9C (71.4F) by morning. It's funny how it yo-yoes through the night but wind has a lot to do with it.

So minimum was 20.5C (69.9F) with a maximum humidity of 85%. Maximum was 33.9C (93.0F) today, low humidity 36%.

Noonamah AWS recorded a low of 20.6C and a high of 34.0C, 0.1 ahead of me all the way.

Robbin, that's warmer than what I experienced in the Netherlands when I was there. When it got over 20C for a maximum they thought it was a heat wave. Your palms will be loving it.

Tyrone, that low off Sumatra has been moving further west, maybe circling around behind that strong high coming across.

Look at that! The Kiwis have booted that low out of bed and have another one moving in with them. Talk about fickle! wink-1.gif

Another miserable winters day today. Very cold winds and a max of 15.3C. Some sun, but the wind made a mockery of its heating abilities. Like usual the clouds came in after a cloudless night and they'll probably leave at sundown. This isn't a typical Perth winter. Firstly it's dry and secondly much too cold.

Zig, I doubt we'll get that Sumatran low. The highs will block it, send it south under Australia and into New Zealand. At least someone loves New Zealand.

Best regards

Tyrone

Another miserable winters day today. Very cold winds and a max of 15.3C. Some sun, but the wind made a mockery of its heating abilities. Like usual the clouds came in after a cloudless night and they'll probably leave at sundown. This isn't a typical Perth winter. Firstly it's dry and secondly much too cold.

Zig, I doubt we'll get that Sumatran low. The highs will block it, send it south under Australia and into New Zealand. At least someone loves New Zealand.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, we'll do a swap, your highs for our lows.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Do you like bone chilling frost do you? Yes, let's do a swap. You can have our freezing nights and we can have your blankets in the sky. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

A nice temperate 0 this morning. Right now its 4 and falling fast. The forecast says another 0 so it will probably be colder. Did the rounds this morning checking for corpses, none so far, just a bit of bronzing on the Dypsis ambo shambo fineleaf thats in ground, the potted ones were fine. The planted Aiphanes minima is very spotty too but once again the potted ones are fine. What tomorrow morning holds in store remains a mystery. This is the time of year I want to pack up , find a nice high rise unit and not even look back over my shoulder.

Peachy

27.35 south.