• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

A min of 14C and 5mm of rain. The palms are opening spears everywhere.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

nice.. Tyrone. I miss the rain already!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's not nearly enough Ari. We've got another 175mm to go for an average June and I don't think we're going to make anywhere near that. The bad news is July is meant to be in the 20th percentile for rainfall. Maybe this year the rainfall is shifting to be more of a spring early summer thing. It seems to be doing that every year more and more. But the overall yearly rainfall drops when that happens. Maybe the arid zone is shifting from 28S down to 32S. :( The good news is the warmth from 28S will follow, just we'll be living in a desert.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I hope you will get more Tyrone...

My trees are showing dry season damage... some are dropping their leaves already... I was hoping they will retain their leaves a bit longer this year.... Scott had to install more lawn sprinklers to keep the only grassy part around the house green... Hhmm, I am ready for the build up now.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yeah, more rain tomorrow and for all of the week. It got to 20C today. 12C tonight and more rain for a cool max of 17C tomorrow. The coconut grew 5 mm overnight. That seems to be his winter growth rate. I'm glad he grows at all through winter. When the sun came out today his rocks were all nice and toasty in there around 30C. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

14mm of rain overnight with a min of 14C. Only going for 17C today. We won't see the sun. A big cloud mass has moved over us from way out in the Indian Ocean. Some decent gentle rain is falling, and it's keeping everything moist and mild. I should put my C lepidota's out in it.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's dreary and 16C at the moment. Very calm though. So far the temp has moved 2C from the minimum. Dewpoint is 13.6C. More rain is on the way. Back up to 22C on the weekend though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Another reasonable night, went down to 10. Even had a whole millimetre of rain....its a wonder we never drowned in our beds. A cool but average day of 22, and no frost predicted for the next 7 days. Now if they could just improve on the rain.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Nothing "dreary" about our weather. Bright clear blue skies by day, bright stary skies by night. Overnight Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 19.2C (66.6F) with a maximum humidity of 66%. Today there was a maximum 31.7C (89.1F) with humidity bottoming at 31%.

Looks like we might get a few days of wind tending from the east or north east meaning better overnight temperatures. Middle Point, about 30 kilometres north east of me is still getting minimums down to just above 15C (59F). Further away, Gove on the east coast had a minimum of 23.2C (73.8F). It's only a week to the shortest day. Not that the possibility of cold weather will end then but there's something psychologically reassuring about it.

Nothing "dreary" about our weather. Bright clear blue skies by day, bright stary skies by night. Overnight Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 19.2C (66.6F) with a maximum humidity of 66%. Today there was a maximum 31.7C (89.1F) with humidity bottoming at 31%.

Looks like we might get a few days of wind tending from the east or north east meaning better overnight temperatures. Middle Point, about 30 kilometres north east of me is still getting minimums down to just above 15C (59F). Further away, Gove on the east coast had a minimum of 23.2C (73.8F). It's only a week to the shortest day. Not that the possibility of cold weather will end then but there's something psychologically reassuring about it.

So what are the sunrise and sunset times for your part of the world on the shortest day?

Mine are approx. 7.30am sunrise and 5.00pm sunset

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Temp dropping fast here at the moment, down to 2.8°C on the deck at 9pm... gonna be a bad frost if it keeps dropping at the current rate.

YIKES :unsure:

So what are the sunrise and sunset times for your part of the world on the shortest day?

Mine are approx. 7.30am sunrise and 5.00pm sunset

Here's 7.17am to 5.20pm approx. It didn't get above 16C today. Min of 10C tonight and 18C tomorrow.

Best regards

Tyrone

I got this off the internet but don't really know how accurate it is. Shortest and longest days:

21 Jun 2010 7:07 AM 6:30 PM 11h 23m 33s

22 Dec 2010 6:19 AM 7:11 PM 12h 51m 42s

Dec22 here is 5.07am sunrise 7.22pm sunset. What was interesting was that at Dec 1 the sun comes up at 5.03am but goes down at 7.08pm.

Tyrone

Another 5mm overnight. Down to 11.5C and up to 18C. The sun is out now and everything is wet and beautiful. I put my Chambeyronia lepidota's out in the rain for the winter and spring, and see if they bound forth. This is going to be a dry June for us. I think we haven't even made 30mm so far which is dismal. Still it feels nice to see the water glistening in the sun on all the leaves. Back up to to the low twenties by the weekend which will keep the coconut happy. I checked it's growth mark yesterday and in a 48hr period it had grown 1.5cm!!!!!!! I think it's getting stronger every year.

Here's the forecast which is actually pretty good for the winter solstice period. We will go downhill from June 22 in all likelihood though.

Forecast for Wednesday

A morning shower or two then partly cloudy. Moderate SW/S'ly winds.

Precis: Morning shower.

City: Max 18

Mandurah: Max 18

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Thursday Late shower. Min 7 Max 18

Friday Possible morning shower. Min 8 Max 19

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 8 Max 20

Sunday Sunny. Min 7 Max 22

Monday Cloud increasing later. Min 6 Max 22

Tuesday Showers. Min 8 Max 19

Best regards

Tyrone

Fairly uneventful weather here w/ seasonal temps. Yet another in an unending series of troughs will move down the Pacific coastline into next week meaning cooler than normal temps and coastal clouds. Oh well! :wacko:

Hi: 82F\ 27.7C

Lo: 61F\ 16.1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I got this off the internet but don't really know how accurate it is. Shortest and longest days:

21 Jun 2010 7:07 AM 6:30 PM 11h 23m 33s

22 Dec 2010 6:19 AM 7:11 PM 12h 51m 42s

Being so close to the equator you don't get alot of variation in the length of your days. Only around 9 hours of daylight here at this time of year.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

First frost of the year today. Not too bad, Down to -0.1°C.

Looks like another one tonight, (what shall I tortue:rage::D) then warming up a little for the next few days.

Hey - thats exactly what my minimum was this morning Michael !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Melbourne people.... you'd better batten down the hatches... strong wind is coming your way...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Melbourne people.... you'd better batten down the hatches... strong wind is coming your way...

Yep...gusts to 120km/hr predicted overnight...wowzers !! :blink:

I wonder if my plane to Jakarta will be able to take off tomorrow ??

Hope so..I need some warm weather....still getting thunderstorms over there at this time of yr...unusual.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Shortest Day of the Year: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:50am to 5:12pm (622 minutes)

Longest Day of the Year: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:58am to 6:53pm (835 minutes)

Apparently yesterday was the shortest day of the year for us even though it is not the 21st...there must only be a few seconds in it however!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I took a drive over to my place in the country this evening to take my mother in law home. The clouds were nice. And, there is picture of the bridge across the Negro River which is coming up to the final steps. It will be open in November they say.

dk

post-188-12767384398765_thumb.jpg

post-188-12767384574667_thumb.jpg

post-188-1276738475433_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Shortest Day of the Year: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:50am to 5:12pm (622 minutes)

Longest Day of the Year: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:58am to 6:53pm (835 minutes)

Apparently yesterday was the shortest day of the year for us even though it is not the 21st...there must only be a few seconds in it however!

Daryl

Hey Daryl, as I understand it, we get the shortest day this week on the coastline/seaway/islands only, for your place and mine it rolls around next week, yes it goes in seconds. Either way, it is always a celebration for me to see the shortest day behind us and we begin heading towards more sun in the day.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I forgot to post the daylight hours here yesterday on our shortest day. But, on the second shortest day, I guess would right, they are below. We are just about at 12 days now.

dk

Manaus, Brazil

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Current Conditions

77° 6:53 AM MOSTLY CLOUDY

More Information

RealFeel® 88°

Winds Calm

Relative Humidity 94%

Dew Point 75°

Barometric Pressure 29.9

Pressure Tendency Steady

Visibility 10

Sunrise 6/17/2010 6:02:42 AM

Sunset 6/17/2010 5:59:18 PM

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

That's got me confused. I knew the shortest day didn't necessarily fall on the 21st but didn't realise the difference could be that much.

Noonamah AWs recorded a minimum of 16.2C (61.2F). The wind was mainly from the east to north east but it dropped during the night. Humidity got up to 97%. Today's maximum was 33.0C (91.4F) and humidity bottomed out at 35%.

That's got me confused. I knew the shortest day didn't necessarily fall on the 21st but didn't realise the difference could be that much.

Noonamah AWs recorded a minimum of 16.2C (61.2F). The wind was mainly from the east to north east but it dropped during the night. Humidity got up to 97%. Today's maximum was 33.0C (91.4F) and humidity bottomed out at 35%.

I didn't know that either. Man I understand nothing about this universe we live in. :D

The shortest day here in Perth is June 22 with sunrise at 7.17am and sunset at 5.20pm or 637 minutes. I wouldn't have thought that the date of the shortest day within a hemisphere would vary according to latitude.

We're right underneath a mass of cloud that is originating in Sumatra which is making an arc across the Indian ocean down to the southern west coast of Oz and then heading east across the continent. Weird. It's just over 11C at the moment with 97% RH. We probably won't drop much below this tonight.

Best regards

Tyrone

According to wikipedia the event is on June 21 this year. Isn´t the shortest day the same across an entire hemisphere? I thought it was. The daylight will last for 11 hours 56 minutes 36 seconds on this date. The longest day on Decebmer 21 will be,12hours 18minutes 16 seconds.

This site has a handy daylength cacluator for any location. daylight hours

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

According to wikipedia the event is on June 21 this year. Isn´t the shortest day the same across an entire hemisphere? I thought it was. The daylight will last for 11 hours 56 minutes 36 seconds on this date. The longest day on Decebmer 21 will be,12hours 18minutes 16 seconds.

This site has a handy daylength cacluator for any location. daylight hours

That's a great site Don. Very soon the solar noon will move above 34.6 degrees above the horizon. Yippeeee.

It seems accurate too. Some sites don't make allowances for the location's position within a time zone. Perth for example has about 18min of daylight saving constantly imposed upon it, because the reference point for the "WST" is out in the wheatbelt a few hundred kilometres. That's one reason why Daylight saving was a pain in the neck. That and the fact that the sun goes down over the sea, and there are no mountains or hills to give it an early sunset. With daylight saving the sun wasn't going down until well after 8pm. After you've had a 40C day it gets a bit much. But it was good to have time to go down to the beach after work and watch it go down. You could still see to walk around near 9pm. West coast summers are the best, I'm sure the Cali guys would agree. :D

Tyrone

Daylight saving is only good when you don't have kids. Try to tell your kids to catch the school bus in the dark and go to bed when it is still light!!! Good thing the subject wasn't even suggested in the NT, but feel sorry for FNQ because QLD government has been trying for years to get daylight saving on because of SEQ. Well, they simply forget that QLD is not just SEQ!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The closer you get to the equator the more stupid daylight saving becomes. In a place like England where in summer the sun comes up at 3.30am, who cares if with daylight saving it comes up at 4.30am. But here in Perth in Mar the sun was coming up at 7am!!!!!. That's almost like mid winter for us. That's OK if you start work at 9am, but I used to be at work at 7am and started travelling at 6.20am. It was torture because by Oct you were starting to travel to work when the sun was coming up and it felt good psychologically, only to be plunged back into darkness by late Oct again. Then by Nov Dec your travelling in sunlight again for a month or two then back into darkness again. By the time you change back to normal time you're still in darkness going to work. I felt like a shift worker. On the east coast like Sydney etc the sun comes up earlier than geographical time anyway, so daylight saving doesn't mess with you so much. The east coast seems to get light earlier than the west all year round.

As a kid I remember when WA trialled daylight saving. We lived in an non airconditioned house and we had to go to bed at 7.30pm when it was bright as anything outside in the summer and boiling hot mid 30's at sundown. Yuck.

Best regards

Tyrone

About 15 years ago they tried daylight savings time in Manaus. It did not work and people got all messed up. You never knew what time people were talking about unless they said Manaus time, which is the standard time, or daylight. The next year they gave up and never returned. In Brazil daylight time is only used at about 15 degrees south and higher. It makes no sense when all the days are 12 hour basically. A rancher in Montana who was a good friend of my dad never changed his watch, he maintained that the cows don´t know what daylight time is and they need to be milked at the same time regardless of what man says. I remember when I was in university in Montana in the early 70´s and due to the oil crisis President Nixon put the whole USA on daylight time in the middle of the winter. That meant that it got daylight where I was around 9 AM. That never made much sense to me. What difference did it make if the sun went down at 5 30 PM instead of 4 30?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Sun is coming up here the last few days between 05.15 and 05.30 and going under between 22.00 and 22.15 hour.

Yesterday was a great day with sun and 25C but coming weeking going to be very cool because that still strong northern winds. The high pressure systems are very strong and don't want to go away for a long time already where most of the time the winds coming from the north/northeast what means cool early summer weather, with sometimes a warmer day or a few warmer days. Means also very dry, this June I got only 13 mm of rain so far and it looks like there is not coming much anymore what means proberly this june would be the 5th month this year with below average rainfall. Cards showing possible some weather that's going to warm up and with dry and sun, so curious how longs it's going to take before the grass is getting yellow.

This year is almost the same like rainfall, temperatures, sunshine like 2009 what also started after a cold winter...

Robbin

Southwest

About 15 years ago they tried daylight savings time in Manaus. It did not work and people got all messed up. You never knew what time people were talking about unless they said Manaus time, which is the standard time, or daylight. The next year they gave up and never returned. In Brazil daylight time is only used at about 15 degrees south and higher. It makes no sense when all the days are 12 hour basically. A rancher in Montana who was a good friend of my dad never changed his watch, he maintained that the cows don´t know what daylight time is and they need to be milked at the same time regardless of what man says. I remember when I was in university in Montana in the early 70´s and due to the oil crisis President Nixon put the whole USA on daylight time in the middle of the winter. That meant that it got daylight where I was around 9 AM. That never made much sense to me. What difference did it make if the sun went down at 5 30 PM instead of 4 30?

dk

The idea of daylight saving where you live is just absurd when there very little change in the length of your days throughout the year. What were they thinking? :blink:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

DK, that's the same site I got my information from. Quite surprised they tried daylight saving where you are. It's never even been considered here.

Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 18.4C (65.1F), humidity peaked at 94%. Although the winds are still tending north east to east, during the night they're dropping and the clear skies are allowing the temperatures to drop. But humidity is boosted.

Today the maximum got to 33.6C (92.5F) and humidity bottomed at 23%. That low humidity could be from the developing high pressure starting to push the winds around to the south east. We'll see how it goes tonight.

We got a minimum just below 10C and a max around 20C. Humidity peaked around 97% this morning. Going for 21C for 3 days in a row then I think we get cooler and winter starts to peak. For about 6 weeks we'll be in the depths of winter until August comes and it loosens it's grip a bit. It's strange at the moment. It's 1026 hPa, 15.4C 92% RH and a dewpoint around 14.4C which is more of a summer dewpoint. There's probably mist outside now at 8.50pm.

Best regards

tyrone

Daylight saving is wonderful. Instead of sleeping through the hours of the day when its cool enough to do things, you are up and at it. Instead of cooking and eating dinner you can be outside in the garden. I think it should be 2 instead of 1 hour ahead. I lived with it for a long time and its so practical. Yes I have heard all the arguments about it fading the curtains and kids dying on the way home from school because its too hot when they finish for the day. Even the one about waiting until all the old people die before they change it over. Daylight saving...bring it on. People travelling here wouldnt have to set back their watches one hour and 30 years either.....just the 30 years !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Daylight saving is wonderful. Instead of sleeping through the hours of the day when its cool enough to do things, you are up and at it. Instead of cooking and eating dinner you can be outside in the garden. I think it should be 2 instead of 1 hour ahead. I lived with it for a long time and its so practical. Yes I have heard all the arguments about it fading the curtains and kids dying on the way home from school because its too hot when they finish for the day. Even the one about waiting until all the old people die before they change it over. Daylight saving...bring it on. People travelling here wouldnt have to set back their watches one hour and 30 years either.....just the 30 years !!

Peachy

It's no good in really hot climates. SE QLD geographically is about 20min ahead of EST anyway (the sun comes up earlier than it should if you know what I mean). So when you get daylight saving you only jump 40min ahead of your geographic time. So for example the sun is highest in the sky roughly at 11.40am in Brisbane, but with daylight saving it would shift to 12.40pm. Here in Perth the sun is highest at 12.20pm, so with daylight saving the sun is highest at 1.20pm. It may not sound that much but it does mess with your head after a while. I probably would tolerate it more now, as I don't start work as early any more. Because I do outdoor work, I can't start until the sun is well up anyway. (On that note- tradies usually start as the sun comes up. You get two types of commuters, tradies and office sales staff who often start around 9am. Usually early traffic is just tradies and by the time office staff are off to work, the tradies have started. Here you get massive traffic bank ups around March just before daylight saving finishes. Everyone is on the road together. Then we go back to standard time and the roads free up. For the 3 years we had it trialled here, it happened every year.) I must admit I did like the fact that you could come home and stay in the garden until 8.30pm after work. It was a bit of a trap. I was having dinner at 10pm and going to bed a midnight all the time. By the time mid autumn came I was a zombie.

Lastnight we had a min of 13C and the RH didn't drop below 97% all night, we even got a mm of rain. Going for 21C today. Really good Chambeyronia lepidota growing weather. Woohoo. If only winter was like this all the way through.

Best regards

Tyrone