IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Well it was 21C today but I've got the flu and it feels freezing. I had to pull my washing machine down to replace the tub bearings and it's all in bits on the floor. It's a great thing to do when you've got the flu. (Note to self - don't do that again.)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Forecast for Sunday evening

A shower or two in far southern suburbs, extending through the remainder of the

metropolitan area during the evening. Light to moderate W'ly winds.

Precis: Shower or two developing.

Forecast for Monday

Cloudy with a light shower or two. Moderate W'ly winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Min 9 Max 19

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 19

UV Alert: 9:50 am to 2:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Tuesday Few showers, clearing later. Min 8 Max 17

Wednesday Cloudy periods. Min 5 Max 17

Thursday Cloudy periods. Min 5 Max 17

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 18

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 19

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 19

Blahhhhh. :sick:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

5 deg?? in August/Sept?? I hope it warms up for you soon, Tyrone....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone,

It sure seems like it has been cool there for a long time. Here it is just another hot dry season day. I am off to Sao Paulo for the week. The problem there is the low humidity and dryness. This is the dry season normally anyway so that is not normal. When I used to live there the smoke and smog got unbearable at times. It is better now, but this time of year can be a problem. There has been a dry air mass sitting over the middle of South America for a while.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I think the general weather patterns across the world have more or less stalled and what has been the case a couple of months ago is what everybody still has. Maybe as we approach the spring/fall zone, the weather patterns will unstick.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like Spring is just just about to start!

Forecast for Tuesday

Fine. Light SW winds becoming light to moderate SE to NE during the day.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 12 Max 24

Bayside: Min 11 Max 22

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 2:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Wednesday Fine. Min 13 Max 25

Thursday Fine. Min 14 Max 28

Friday Mostly fine, shower or two. Min 15 Max 25

Saturday A few showers. Min 16 Max 23

Sunday A few showers. Min 17 Max 25

Monday Fine. Min 15 Max 26

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Spring tomorrow !! Yee-haw...and about time too !

From Weatherzone:

Melbourne has endured its coldest winter in 12 years and wettest winter in 11 years, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Despite it being colder and wetter than any winter in the last decade, it has actually been warmer and only slightly wetter than normal.

Daytime temperatures averaged 14.6 degrees, half-a-degree above the long-term winter average. Nights averaged 7.5 degrees, one degree warmer than the long-term norm.

When both daytime and overnight temperatures were combined, Melbourne's average temperature came in at 11 degrees, above the long-term norm of 10.3, but still the coldest winter since 1998.

"Days were generally colder than in recent winters due to extra cloud and also a few strong cold southerly changes late in the season. Some of this cloud came in from the northwest and some came in the cold southerlies," Weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said.

"The extra northwest cloud bands in August brought significant rain to Melbourne and much of the state, which gave rivers, creeks and catchments a boost," Dutschke said.

After a dry start to the season 156 millimetres of rain fell in the city, only nine millimetres more than the long-term winter average, but it was the most winter rain since 1999.

It's been a significantly wet August and winter for western, central and northern parts of the state.

Ballarat gained 161mm in August, its wettest month in 33 years and wettest August in 101 years.

Bendigo had its wettest month and wettest winter in more than 18 years, accumulating 139mm this August and 288mm this winter.

Wangaratta picked up 201mm this winter, the wettest in five years, despite only just exceeding the long-term norm of 198mm.

Only parts of the Mallee and East Gippsland have been below par and not as wet as winter 2008.

"The spring outlook for Melbourne and the rest of Victoria is for further good rain events with the aid of relatively frequent northwest cloud bands. These cloud bands should persist due to a warmer than normal Indian Ocean," Dutschke said.

"One as soon as this weekend should bring widespread 30 to 60mm to inland parts of the state, which may lead to flooding. There's potential for close to 100mm in the northeast."

"The likelihood of near-or-above median rainfall will favour a season of warmer than normal nights and fewer frosts."

I lost a few things over winter, palms I was a bit daring with. They just couldn't cope with the long drawn-out damp coolness. My D.pembana, R.borinquena, C.barbadensis....(all over 1.5m tall)...all toast. My 1m tall Foxylady looks very ratty, but I think it will pull through and be stronger for the experience.

Here's to a wet, warm Spring ! :)

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

What a miserable day today. Winter for sure. It didn't even make 15C but the night was warm just under 12C. We got a few mm of rain though. Spring tomorrow. If only the weather followed the calendar, but at least winter is now technically behind us. Well almost. The worst winter ever in my experience. A real dud of duds, with winter being a dud season.

"Winter ends as Perth's second driest on record

Press Release, Tuesday August 31, 2010 - 17:19 EST

It is now officially Perth's second driest winter on record, even despite some good rainfall in July, according to weatherzone.com.au. It's also the coldest in at least 14 years.

Perth has only received 63 millimetres for the whole of August, under half the long-term average for the month. Rain days were also half of the average; the city only recorded eight rain days this year in contrast to the average of 16. Across the whole of winter, the rainfall total was 256 millimetres, almost 160 millimetres below average.

The rest of the Lower West district has joined Perth in experiencing a significant rainfall deficit, with most locations below 60 percent of their average winter total.

“The southwest corner of Western Australia has been fairly dry this winter,” said Weatherzone meteorologist Samuel Terry. “This is most likely due to the lack of strong cold fronts pushing in from the south. Normally in winter, fronts will force in the warm, humid air over the west, causing rain, but obviously with less fronts, there'll be less rain.”

The persistent dryness over Perth hasn't been the only notable characteristic of winter 2010: it's also been colder than usual.

Minimum temperatures in the city only reached 6.4 degrees, the coldest on record.

Maximum temperatures averaged 18.8 degrees, which is much less unusual. However, by combining the average minimum and maximum temperature this makes it Perth's coldest winter in at least 14 years.

“The main factor in the overall coldness of the season was the average winter minimum,” Terry explained. “Dry air and clear skies allow the mercury to plummet faster during the night. This is what we've seen in Perth this year, closely linked with the lack of rain events.”

“We should pick up a shower or two during Wednesday morning, but the outlook for the rest of the week is still a dry one, unlike for eastern Australia, which is set to receive some heavy falls over the weekend.” "

It can only get better from here. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like Spring is just just about to start!

Forecast for Tuesday

Fine. Light SW winds becoming light to moderate SE to NE during the day.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 12 Max 24

Bayside: Min 11 Max 22

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 2:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Wednesday Fine. Min 13 Max 25

Thursday Fine. Min 14 Max 28

Friday Mostly fine, shower or two. Min 15 Max 25

Saturday A few showers. Min 16 Max 23

Sunday A few showers. Min 17 Max 25

Monday Fine. Min 15 Max 26

Enjoy. I know I would. :)

Crazy weather all round - crazy days!

It's been raining here now for 3 days, and we got over 100mm in the Daintree last night alone.

Everything is growing well but still so much mulching to do...

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

You can mulch in the rain... I do :mrlooney:

Hhhmm... this dry surge is still persisting... Annoying!! Was looking forward to the rain...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You can mulch in the rain... I do :mrlooney:

Indeed. I was more so meaning I wanted to get it done before the rain as the grass becomes a full time job. I don't know weather I risk it again (because of all this rain), and plant out now! :blink:

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

The southern winter of 2010 is OVER. Good Riddance. Someone start a new weather topic for the new season.

Over and out. :D