IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Blue skies and a bit of a breeze around. 21C at the moment.

Peachy, the stubbies and nothing else look was the 1970's look here. We have more class now. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I am just curious, but what are stubbies?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Temperatures hit 40 C in some parts of the city yesterday. At the same time a strong cold front from Argentina hit southern Brazil. It will be interesting to see if it will impact my area. I was just reading that the extended forecast for the dry season for my part of Amazonas state is above average percipitation. Whereas parts further south will be below average.

Attached is what the minimum and maximum temperatures will look like for Thursday. The next two are of the weather for Thrusday and the current satellite photo of my part of the southern hemispere at 0300. You can see how the cold is extending around the west up towards Bolivia and southwestern Amazonia. According to the forecast it is supposed to rain on Thursday. That would be nice. It is time for me to go back to bed.

dk

post-188-1280991862769_thumb.jpg

post-188-12809918876475_thumb.jpg

post-188-12809922985625_thumb.jpg

post-188-12809923068267_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Last Monday night was really wild here; on the coast at Wattamolla they recorded a wind gust of 134 km/h.

Telstra/BigPond has been down since then; I presume the two things are related.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Mike, August it's still "yo-yo" weather, but September everything starts to go up, and only up - temperature, humidity, heat index, perspiration rate, stress levels, tempers, divorce rates, etc. sad.gif

Sounds like similar behaviour to here when we have Fohn winds. Everyone goes mad and almost beat each other up! Apparently, the road rage and domestic violence stats go up dramatically. :angry:

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Blue skies and a bit of a breeze around. 21C at the moment.

Peachy, the stubbies and nothing else look was the 1970's look here. We have more class now. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

We must have been a bit behind the times. Think it was mid 80s before the Stubbies and toweling hats began to fade.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

dk

Don, they are an inconic brand of shorts worn by Aussies and Kiwis during the 70s and 80s. They were absolutely terrible looking when I think about it now. Obviously some of Peachy's neighbours just can't seem to let them go....

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Oy wotchit. People who call pluggers, jandals shouldnt throw stones.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Wow... sexy... lol (NOT!!). Anyway, still dry again today... The minimum hasn't got to below 15, so everything is still sweet...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari we want to see a pic of scott in his budgie smugglers

27.35 south.

I think these are.

post-113-12810037601738_thumb.jpg

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Ari we want to see a pic of scott in his budgie smugglers

Sorry... he wears shorts... :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

dk

Don, they are an inconic brand of shorts worn by Aussies and Kiwis during the 70s and 80s. They were absolutely terrible looking when I think about it now. Obviously some of Peachy's neighbours just can't seem to let them go....

Thank you Mike. Now I know. In fact the first place outside of the USA that I ever visited was New Zealand in 1971. I spent the better part of a year in Whangarei. I do not remember those stubbies though. And, since I never made it Australia though there is a lot I do not know about local things there. One of the things that I found quite unique was putting the empty milk bottles out on the sidewalk with the money for the milk inside. Here in Latin America (which I still did not know at that time) you would be lucky to get the bottle back, let alone have the money stay in the bottle for the milk man.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Last night the air became icy as the sun went down. By 10:00 pm temperature was down to 16.2C (61.2F). But then it went up again, getting just over 21C (69.8F) through the middle of the night. After 3:30 am it was on a downward slide again, reaching the overnight minimum of 15.4C (59.7F) at 7:40 am. This afternoon the maximum reached 33.6C (92.5F).

Looking at the figures for Queensland it looks like the antarctic blast has virtually blown itself out. These are todays minimums and maximums:

Cairns 17.0C (62.6F) to 27.9C (82.2F)

Townsville 14.0C (57.2F) to 26.2C (79.2F)

Mackay (airport) 10.3C (50.5F) to 23.6C (74.5F)

So the air moving across has warmed up from yesterday. Tonight here it hasn't got that icy chill that last night had, but it still feels quite cool. 9:00 pm it was down to 20.6C (69.1F). So another cold morning ahead, but hopefully that'll be the last. I'm hoping that the next line up of highs and lows don't bring about a repetition.

Ari, the Pelagodoxa is now planted.

Zig, Are you home already? Has it been a couple of week?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think these are.

Philip is bang on the money. Those are perfect textbook stubbies.

Peachy :drool:

27.35 south.

I think these are.

Proudly I still have one pair left, getting a bit threadbare but still wearable, well almost.

Personally I can't stand wearing shorts that come down to your knees, I find them uncomfortable.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I think these are.

Proudly I still have one pair left, getting a bit threadbare but still wearable, well almost.

Personally I can't stand wearing shorts that come down to your knees, I find them uncomfortable.

Bruce

Perhaps you should put them on one more time and take a pic Bruce. Just for old times sake. :D

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Cold at night again here. Cold and dry. It looks good by the end of the week though. Back to double digits at night, a bit of rain and days in the 20's. If that keeps up for an extended period we are in spring about a month early as that's are mid Sep weather. Hopefully we'll pull out of winter soon. The long range forecast is tipping a slightly wetter than normal spring and a wetter summer. Let's hope so. I can handle days around 28-30C with the odd thunderstorm or two in spring. Everything will just launch.

Forecast for Saturday

Sunny. Light to moderate E/SE winds, tending S/SW near the coast for a period in

the afternoon.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 19

Mandurah: Max 17

UV Alert: 11:20 am to 1:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Sunny. Min 4 Max 19

Monday Sunny. Min 3 Max 20

Tuesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 22

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 6 Max 24

Thursday Showers. Min 10 Max 21

Friday Showers. Min 11 Max 20

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

Make sure you warm up Perth before next week, otherwise Scott will freeze!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Perhaps you should put them on one more time and take a pic Bruce. Just for old times sake. :D

27.35 south.

Going to be gin and sleeping pills tonight for certain. The forecast is for minus 2, the coldest night this year. Usually the temps are much lower than predicted so I have a dirty feeling its a goodbye to the garden tonight for certain. I have been running around with bales of hay and covering things but whats the point ? If they cant take a frost then why bother postponing the inevitable ? Bluddy winter....I hate it.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Going to be gin and sleeping pills tonight for certain. The forecast is for minus 2, the coldest night this year. Usually the temps are much lower than predicted so I have a dirty feeling its a goodbye to the garden tonight for certain. I have been running around with bales of hay and covering things but whats the point ? If they cant take a frost then why bother postponing the inevitable ? Bluddy winter....I hate it.

Peachy

Oh No Peachy. I'm so sorry to hear that. That's horrible. I didn't know you could get that cold in August!!!! I hope clouds move in and it doesn't get that cold. What's inner Brissie going down too. 1C?????? That's blimmin cold for August.

Hopefully they've got it wrong Peachy and it's warmer.

Best regards

Tyrone

How did you go Peachy? I see that Amberley went below 0C at 2am and at 7am was -2.3C. No data earlier from 4am until 7am though. That some seriously brutal cold for this time of year. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Didn't sleep very well last night but this morning I didnt want to go outside or even open the shutters to take a peek. The park got a bit of a frying but by a miracle the frost didnt get up to my place. It has to get to minus3 before I cop it. The house next door lost the front lawn, but I am a couple metres higher. Anyhow apart from a few things looking sick from cold damage the rest of the place is fine. Saved by 0.5 degrees. Tyrone, I wont be safe until the second week of September. My first year here there was no frost, and after my old place it seemed like paradise. On the 3rd sept we had a frost, only -3 but it was a black one and most of my new garden turned to mush. Anyhow the place is going to have to look after itself for a while. I have just packed the car, got to go out to stinking filthy Charleville for a few weeks to reopen the pub thanks to the lessee doing a bunk. I dread to think about the state of the place. Mainly going for the permanent residents in the upstairs rooms. Not going to do any meals and only opening the main bar and heaven help any of the local hicks who give me even the slightest grief.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Oh.... are you going? I didn't think you were going to, Peachy... Hopefully, there won't be anymore of those cold & horrible nights while you are away. BTW, who is watering the pot plants??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The blossoms are blossoming and the flowers blooming. Spring is here and warmer weather on the way. :D

Went to Bunnings today to buy a new cat door. Found the cat door.......and another 7 plants. There's no cure, we all have compulsive disorders. :mrlooney:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

What plants?? Tell us please.... I went to a wholesale nursery the other day too. I went in to get 2 tabebuia and ended up leaving with 3 cordylines & 1 alocasia too, no palms though... It is BAD!!

It is still dry here... although I can feel the humidity slightly on the rise. Scott is FREEZING wet and cold in Adelaide. Poor man!! He has been here way too long... he forgot what it was like to have rain in winter...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Freezing here too Ari. Going for 3C again tonight. But we've forgotten what winter rain is too. Maybe by the end of the week it will be back and the nights will warm up.

Peachy, that was a close call. I hope everything will turn out alright in Charleville.

Best regards

Tyrone

I like this map of Australia´s weather yesterday from a southern hemisphere perpsective. Who says north is up or south is down. That all depends on how the Earth is viewed.

AustraliatempsAug7.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I like this map of Australia´s weather yesterday from a southern hemisphere perpsective. Who says north is up or south is down. That all depends on how the Earth is viewed.

AustraliatempsAug7.jpg

I don't understand Don, this is the way the world is, isn't it??? :D

post-42-12813077811956_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

From where I am looking at it yes.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

What plants?? Tell us please.... I went to a wholesale nursery the other day too. I went in to get 2 tabebuia and ended up leaving with 3 cordylines & 1 alocasia too, no palms though... It is BAD!!

It is still dry here... although I can feel the humidity slightly on the rise. Scott is FREEZING wet and cold in Adelaide. Poor man!! He has been here way too long... he forgot what it was like to have rain in winter...

Zamia furfuracea

Macrozamia communis x2

Strelizia nicolai x2 (on top of the two I already have)

Chamaedorea elegans

Kaffir lime

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Sick of the cold nights. 1.4C lastnight which was 0.1C from an August record. Jandakot went below zero again. This has been one hell of a winter. Still we're averaging around 21C so far for August. 21C tomorrow after a toasty overnight min of 4C. Rain by the end of the week with mins around 9,10C and maxes from 19-21C, which is spring weather actually. The extended cold dry nights are taking there toll though. Certain things are not happy. It's been weird this winter. Not really sure what to expect in Spring. Maybe 40C by October. :D

I will make sure Scott bring some warmth with him, Tyrone... He needs it too after 2 days in Adelaide...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"