IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Okay, I won't mention that 4 letter word. Dunno about elsewhere but here we had a quite civilised winters night. Minimum dropped down to 22.8C (73.0F) after a maximum of 33.7C (92.7F) yesterday. The big fly in the ointment, however, is the humidity. Last night it only got up to 68%, most of the rest of the time it's been sitting in the 40's %. And then yesterday, it bottomed out at 25%. Apart from right at the start, winter's been reasonably gentle with us. But I'm tough, I can take being spoilt. laugh.gif

Hey... it was raining in Nightcliff and the show yesterday.... apparently 6 drops :mrlooney:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Okay, I won't mention that 4 letter word. Dunno about elsewhere but here we had a quite civilised winters night. Minimum dropped down to 22.8C (73.0F) after a maximum of 33.7C (92.7F) yesterday. The big fly in the ointment, however, is the humidity. Last night it only got up to 68%, most of the rest of the time it's been sitting in the 40's %. And then yesterday, it bottomed out at 25%. Apart from right at the start, winter's been reasonably gentle with us. But I'm tough, I can take being spoilt. laugh.gif

That's a typical Perth summers day. I'll take it. :D

The only difference is in our summers the UV index is around 12-14.

Zig could you imagine those sort of temps and RH with a UV Index of 14 and no afternoon thunderstorms just blue sky from dawn to dusk. Great for sun drying tomatoes.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Maximum today got to 33.6C (92.5F), humidity dropped to 36%. Noonamah AWS recorded a maximum of 34.9C (94.8F). But they did get a minimum about 1C lower than me this morning.

Pretty clear skies most of the day and not a lot of cloud this evening. Wonder, after last night's gentle caress, whether Mother Nature will give us a slap instead tonight.

Ari, I refuse to believe it rained in Nightcliff or Berrimah, even only 6 drops, this time of year. I'll need documentary evidence countersigned by at least 6 meteorologists. laugh.gif

Tyrone, one of the down sides to our weather is we still get a lot of clear sky days with UV index to 16 during the wet. Then sometimes, to make it more interesting, a storm moves in early in the day, does its business, and moves on leaving us with clear sunny skies and steaming roads. They're the storms I dislike. The good storms do their business and make their departure with the setting sun, or later. Unfortunately for us, mango season we have the sun, the heat, but also very high humidity. Need electric dryers to dry mangos. At least tomatoes are sensible, they won't grow in the wet when they can't be sun dried.

Tyrone, one of the down sides to our weather is we still get a lot of clear sky days with UV index to 16 during the wet. Then sometimes, to make it more interesting, a storm moves in early in the day, does its business, and moves on leaving us with clear sunny skies and steaming roads. They're the storms I dislike. The good storms do their business and make their departure with the setting sun, or later. Unfortunately for us, mango season we have the sun, the heat, but also very high humidity. Need electric dryers to dry mangos. At least tomatoes are sensible, they won't grow in the wet when they can't be sun dried.

Yes, but you still have high humidity then. This has a direct effect on evaporation rates and how plants cope with it. We have higher evap rates and clearer skies in summer than any Australian capital city. We actually have more sunshine and clear skies than Brissie, which is in the "Sunshine State". :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Warm and sunny today after hitting the big 0 last night. Nothing harmed however, I think my palms have learnt the options...toughen up or be compost. The one remaining Drymophloeus oliviformis is doing fine, must have decided to cope with the temperature fluctuations after it saw what happened to its non obliging brothers. All the palms have been putting up spears and even new leaves opening so I guess they must think winter here is amenable to growth. Ari until I moved to qld, I ice skated every day. It's not cold once you get moving and its great fun with the added benefit of being good exercise. We often went roller skating too, or strapped on the roller blades and whizzed along the beachfront paths. My need for speed has got me 2 warnings from the police for going too fast in my power wheelchair in the last 12 months !!

Not supposed to be so cold tonight...I poked my nose out earlier and a light jumper should be adequate. I have to go to the supermarket soon and grab some bird food. The feathered fiends are eating like horses. So much for the saying having an appetite like a bird.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Ari, I had the same experience ice skating, it just wasn't me. Why are we talking ice and snow in the weather thread ? Brrrr...I'm SICK OF THE COLD ALREADY....one thing I really really hate is people in the city (Brisbane) saying how they prefer/like the winter cold over the hot and humid, wish they'd all go and live down south (that's where most of these whingers come from anyway ). don't mean to offend anyone, it's this weather you see, I'm not myself in cold weather...brrrr...could be worse, could be living in Ipswich or Gympie...

Wal,

They complained all the time up here!!!! I wonder why they are up here at all??? Dry season only last about 4 months, and the rest is hot and humid.... just the way we like it :winkie:

I've also noticed that many more people complain about humidity than dry heat. Personally, I prefer humidity rather than dry air which always seems to make my skin irritable.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Ari, I refuse to believe it rained in Nightcliff or Berrimah, even only 6 drops, this time of year. I'll need documentary evidence countersigned by at least 6 meteorologists. laugh.gif

It was.... I was driving home from town that night...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Last night was another night snuggled comfortably in Mother Nature's warm bosom caressed by a gentle breeze. After a period of calm the temperature dropped to the minimum of 23.8C (74.8F) at 3:30 am. Shortly after, another breeze sprang up and the temperature was back up to 25.7C (78.3F) by 5:30 am.

Well, it's making up for early winter when it got below average on some days. I wonder if we're in for an early Build-up? As long as there's above average rain with it I don't mind. My dam's still got a fair bit of water, usually this time of year it's empty. The waterbirds have been giving the fish a real caning.

Tyrone, I was talking about human comfort levels. For plants the high humidity makes all the difference, almost regardless of how high the temperatures. That's what I loved about Madang in PNG. They had things out in full sun that here in the dry season would shrivel in the sun. I don't think they know humidity below 80% at any time.

Peachy, Drymophloeus oliviformis is what I think I bought as Hydriastele oliviformis. Do you have any photos of it?

Ari, are you sure they weren't just a few extra juicy insects interacting with your windscreen? rolleyes.gif

Forgot to add the photo I took this morning of the dawn. Looking a little more north of east, that's where most of the colour was.

post-4226-12799358485907_thumb.jpg

Zig, I saw D. oliviformis on the pacsoa website, ordered a few seedlings and that was the extent of it. I have no idea if they changed names or not. As for photos....forget it. Too much time, effort and bother. I have done my piccie bit for this year.

Mike, my new a/c system has a dehumidyfing cycle and it kept me alive last summer. In this part of the state its like trying to breathe underwater. I think the locals are born with poached brains.

Ari, at least bugs only have enough guts to hit the windscreen once.

Cold again last night but stayed above freezing. A nice cool cloudy day today so I was able to get out and do some work in the yard. Even got my new Licuala aurentiaca in the ground.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I think I have one... Zig. I have to check.... and no, they aren't bugs... :)

Peachy,

Some of the bugs are huge up here... I remember a few years ago we have an explosion giant water beetles (they are absolutely massive) and it sounded like very heavy rain on my roof!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Min of 4C and a max of 20C. Sunny day too. Tommorow 4C forecast again with 21C max and late rain. Then warmer nights and high teens with the odd shower or two. About time. We've had a week and a half of not a drop. Unheard of for July.

Best regards

Tyrone

Almost finished my licuala beds... Does anyone have any licuala they want to donate to me?? LOL...

Zig, I planted the D. oliviformis today.... Very pretty palm... the leaves are entire when young...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The day started out rainy here. That is nice as yesterday was a real hot one.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Quite windy today, maximum temperature got to 34.8C (94.6F). Noonamah AWS (only about 5 kms away) got to 35.7C (96.3F). This is more like early to mid August temperatures. Forecast is for similar to continue to mid week (the limit of the forecast period).

Ari, all my Licualas are tucked away in their beds already.

Don, a bit of rain would be nice, but not likely any time soon, ....... maybe September.

Rub it in Ari...my D. oliviformis wont be big enough to plant for at least 12 months. Today I got a few things in the ground including a licuala. They seem to do well here in the heavier soil, than in the sandpits in the cheap blocks a bit further north up the coast. Minimum tonight of 7 and 23 again tomorrow. Still wish it would rain.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Be nice peachy... lol.

Warm night tonight... 24.4 at the moment, and I doubt it will go below 20 tonight... It is ok though, better for my newly planted palms...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

4 point something this morning. Very dry NNE's today. Dewpoints around 1C. The air has done a full circuit of the continent and is crispy and dry. Going for 21C today. Feel's like a Brisbane winters day with blue skies. Chance of rain tonight when a cold front can finally get through to us as this high shifts it's way towards New Zealand.

UV index is shifting south now. I got sunburnt yesterday and I don't burn easily.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's still quite windy but the nights are still reasonable. Although they must have been cross-bred with a yo-yo.

Last night 11:00 pm the temperature dropped to the nights minimum of 24.2C (75.6F). But by just after midnight it was back to 27.6C (81.7F). Then by 5:00 am it bottomed out again at 24.7C (76.5F). It's just the humidity that's not cooperating. Night before last it got up to 84% but last night 65% was all it could manage.

Seems as though we're in for more of the same until the high pressure moves off the scene. Tyrone, no lows forming off Sumatra of late. Seems like we're stuck with dry air welling up from the Antarctic regions. I wouldn't mind a NN Easter - not an Eastertime Easter! laugh.gif

Another overcast day. This winter has been more like a temperate zone winter than subtropical. None of the usual blue skies and sunny days. Am I complaining ? Not really, when its cloudy the nights arent so cold. The palms might appreciate a day of sunshine however to warm their little innards. Dug up the big bottle palm today, what a chore....took me hours. Damn thing weighed a ton. The old butia is next on my to go list but I might have to get help with that horror. Pulled up a lot of the Chamaedorea metallicas too. They really dont do much for me appearance wise and they multiply too quickly for my liking. Got to be careful when I go on my clearing out rampages, sometimes I get rid of something then wish I had left it alone. At least its nice cool weather for working.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Windy Northerlies today and we nearly reached 23C. Dewpoints dropped down to around -1C. Weird for here. Blue skies.

Zig there's a big cutoff low off the SW coast now. It may make the weather interesting and the nights warmer.

Tyrone

The revised forecast for here looks great! Maybe winter is losing its sting? We can only hope! I'll be able to leave all of my tender stuff outside...yay! It looks good for later in the week.

Forecast for Monday

Cloudy with a few showers. Light to moderate SW to SE winds.

Precis: A few showers.

City: Min 13 Max 20

Bayside: Min 12 Max 19

UV Alert: 10:10 am to 1:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 4 [Moderate]

Tuesday A few showers. Min 13 Max 20

Wednesday Showers. Min 14 Max 20

Thursday A few showers. Min 14 Max 22

Friday Mostly fine. Min 15 Max 25

Saturday Mostly fine. Min 15 Max 26

Sunday Mostly fine. Min 13 Max 24

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The revised forecast for here looks great! Maybe winter is losing its sting? We can only hope! I'll be able to leave all of my tender stuff outside...yay! It looks good for later in the week.

Forecast for Monday

I've been watching the Brisbane forecast and saw that 25, 26C forecast at the end of the week, and thought the QLD guys will be loving that.

We got to 23.1C today and it's very dry, but the cut off low is moving in with rain later tonight. If we get clouds and NW's and a bit of rain it might actually be a warm night. I've forgotten what that's like. So far for July we've averaged 4.9C min 18.1C max vs the average of 8C -18.4C. I think that's the coldest July ever. Forecast for the next few days is rain and mins around 8,9C and days around 18,19C. I think winter may be loosening it's grip a bit. Hopefully August will be wet and warmer than average to make up for all the non average stuff we've been having for the last two months.

Best regards

Tyrone

Forecast for Monday

I've been watching the Brisbane forecast and saw that 25, 26C forecast at the end of the week, and thought the QLD guys will be loving that.

We got to 23.1C today and it's very dry, but the cut off low is moving in with rain later tonight. If we get clouds and NW's and a bit of rain it might actually be a warm night. I've forgotten what that's like. So far for July we've averaged 4.9C min 18.1C max vs the average of 8C -18.4C. I think that's the coldest July ever. Forecast for the next few days is rain and mins around 8,9C and days around 18,19C. I think winter may be loosening it's grip a bit. Hopefully August will be wet and warmer than average to make up for all the non average stuff we've been having for the last two months.

Best regards

Tyrone

Those 14-15C minimums also got me excited!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Had a nice pleasant afternoon... Zig came and visit!! It was nice to put a face to a name :) :). We were talking about palms, showing him our palms & having fun in his busy schedule.... and yes.... it has been a warm one today.... it is still 29.9 deg at 7.15pm...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another overcast day. This winter has been more like a temperate zone winter than subtropical. None of the usual blue skies and sunny days. Am I complaining ? Not really, when its cloudy the nights arent so cold. The palms might appreciate a day of sunshine however to warm their little innards. Dug up the big bottle palm today, what a chore....took me hours. Damn thing weighed a ton. The old butia is next on my to go list but I might have to get help with that horror. Pulled up a lot of the Chamaedorea metallicas too. They really dont do much for me appearance wise and they multiply too quickly for my liking. Got to be careful when I go on my clearing out rampages, sometimes I get rid of something then wish I had left it alone. At least its nice cool weather for working.

Peachy

Why did you dig up the bottle Peachy? Wasn't performing?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Forecast for Monday

Best regards

Tyrone

Those 14-15C minimums also got me excited!

Daryl

:D Agree. I'd get real excited by those min temps too.

It's about 7.30pm and above 17C and dewpoint is rising quickly. It's just below 12C dewpoint now. Rain is coming in from the NW.

Tyrone

9.35 in the evening and still 15 outside. Things are looking up. Also 5mm of lovely much needed rain in the last 5 hours. (insert image of peachy dancing the highland fling here). Mike the bottle was fine, big fat and healthy and a fair taller than me. I just didnt want it where it was and as I know they are the very devil to transplant, it had to go. I still have a smaller one in the ground, in a better spot and a couple more in pots. They are very common garden palms around town so its not a blow to the ecology or anything like that.

Peachy

27.35 south.

More wind today. There'd be wild gusts and then it'd be calm for a while, during which it would summon up all its strength for the next blow. But bright sunny skies most of the day. Maximum got to 35.2C (95.4F). Noonamah AWS recorded 36.0C (96.8F). Winter should be over in a few weeks. Then we can look forward to it warming up a bit. rock.gif

Tyrone, saw that low on your door step. Looks more intense on the cloud image than on the charts. Here's wishing for warm wet weather.

We're finally reaching the sort of temperatures winter should be. Overnight minimum recorded at Noonamah AWS (I'm away from home at the moment) was 25.9C (78.6F).

Ari, the Pelagodoxa isn't planted yet. Next fortnight. smilie.gif

Good on you, Zig.... It is good that you can resist the temptation... I know it is hard to do :) :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had a min of 11.4C and 10mm of rain early this morning. Most of the night it sat around 12-14C. That's more like it. Totally tropical compared to the average min of 4.9C we've had this month. I wish all of winter was like this.

The UV Index has marched about 1000km south from it's peak northerly winter equinox point. Things are starting to happen and I'm getting a bit excited. Before we know it, it will be spring and I'll be so flat out trying to pot things up and fertilise and plant and work I'll probably forget my own name. So much I wanted to do in my "off-time" in winter I just haven't touched. Possibly because I've been flat out in winter. Which is ominous as spring/summer is my flatout time and winter is my dead time. :unsure:

Tyrone

It was about the same here last night Tyrone. Sat between 11 and 13.5 all night, with steady rain until about 4 am. Forecast highs of 27 later this week. That should give the palms a much needed boot up the khyber !! Every drop of rain has soaked in, not a puddle or muddy spot to be seen. So tempting to get out plant a few things but it is still only July so in the pots they have to stay.

Peachy

27.35 south.

9.35 in the evening and still 15 outside. Things are looking up. Also 5mm of lovely much needed rain in the last 5 hours. (insert image of peachy dancing the highland fling here). Mike the bottle was fine, big fat and healthy and a fair taller than me. I just didnt want it where it was and as I know they are the very devil to transplant, it had to go. I still have a smaller one in the ground, in a better spot and a couple more in pots. They are very common garden palms around town so its not a blow to the ecology or anything like that.

Peachy

Wish I had a bottle palm but not enough year round heat here unfortunately.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Just took the dogs for a walk and it was actually very pleasant. About 14C and the odd cloud about. Nothing like the deep freeze we've been having previously. Got to around 20C today. 21C by the weekend. Not too shabby.

Tyrone

The temperatures keep edging up. 10:00PM was still 30.2C (86.4F). The maximum today was up to 36.5C (97.7F). Be interesting to see whether maximums will break the 38C level, the old 100F mark, before the end of July. Normally that happens in the last month of winter, August, not the middle.

Very interesting Zig. What's the max that Darwin has ever hit?

36.5C in winter. Incredible.

If you warm up quickly maybe winter will be over early.

The temperatures keep edging up. 10:00PM was still 30.2C (86.4F). The maximum today was up to 36.5C (97.7F). Be interesting to see whether maximums will break the 38C level, the old 100F mark, before the end of July. Normally that happens in the last month of winter, August, not the middle.

Really? That hot? I am sure it was only 35.1 C at my place.... Yes, last night was hot though... tempted to put the a/c on, but I didn't.... Hhhmm, need to clean the filters, I think we might need it sooner than we think...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

11.5C min down here last night and nearly 7mm of rain overnight. Nice blue skies at the moment. Going for 19C but it may make it to 20C again. Not bad for July. If this is what August is going to be bring it on.

I was just looking at my garden yesterday and although I've had cold damage on the bottles and Heliconias, I don't seem to have anywhere near the normal amount of ripped leaves and shredded fronds from high winds and strong storms. We just haven't had the strong cold fronts hitting here much this year, hence our below average rainfall which has got me worried actually. The lakes and rivers etc are all full and that indicates that the ground water is also quite high, but the government may look at the bleak rainfall figures we've had and start making harsh water restriction decisions. That's a very big worry this year, especially if it's a hot and dry summer again. It's not such a problem if it's a mild wet summer, which I'd actually prefer.

Best regards

Tyrone