IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

It's a beautiful sunny 20,21C day today. Cocie will be happy.

Zig you're very right. You wouldn't want to keep a human as a pet. We're never happy are we. Palms are much better. Although Peachy mulches Calyptrocalyx!!!!! Imagine what she'd do if it talked back and winged all the time. :D

Brissie and Durban aren't too much different although Brissie has warmer summers according to that graph. I thought Brissie peaked at 28C during summer. I'm about 2C cooler in winter than those figures and that's all it takes to not be able to grow things like Pigafetta and Verschafeltia down here. I'm looking forward to global warming. Bring it on. Bring on the summer monsoons. :D

Peachy, you have beehives opening flowers now? Mine have gone all mouldy and whitish now, with black bits. Interestingly I must have had an old flower fall on the ground with a seed because I had a little beehive come up right at the distance that an old flower would fall too. Very surprised.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 degrees predicted for tonight but from the very clear sky and rapid drop in temperature since sunset, I think it might be colder. Another sleepless night coming up. Cold west wind all day again too. After not needing the heating on for a few nights, last night it went on fairly early and this evening its going full blast. I am over winter.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Brissie and Durban aren't too much different although Brissie has warmer summers according to that graph. I thought Brissie peaked at 28C during summer. I'm about 2C cooler in winter than those figures and that's all it takes to not be able to grow things like Pigafetta and Verschafeltia down here. I'm looking forward to global warming. Bring it on. Bring on the summer monsoons. :D

Brisbane gets hotter than 28deg in summer, Tyrone, for sure. BTW, talked to Scott this morning about your wife's job, not sure about legal secretary, but I know the legal firms are complaining about not being able to retain their staff from down south... So, yes, in Darwin, if you want to work, you WILL find work...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Any jobs for crippled dancers, stars of stage and screen ? I know you definately have a shortage of fashion icons in the deep north !! I am over being cold and I want a yard full of Licuala cordatas.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I thought it would be interesting to put up a weather comparison around the southern hemishpere from the Accuweather maps. The results are interesting. Today and tomorrow are forecast as the lowest temperatures so far this winter in southern Brazil. Here on the equator the days are hot and the dry season is here.

FridaylowsSouthAmerica.jpg

FridaylowsAus-1.jpg

Fridayslowsafrica.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Peachy,

Not sure with that.... we are the 'outback' after all.

Don,

We are in the dry season too, but because of our geographical location, the days are beautiful and dry & the night is cool... I think Zig explained why a few months ago. Also, being so close to the equator... I remember hating the dry season when I was growing up too (it was so unbearably hot)... Hhmm, maybe I always like the rain, even as a young one....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Indeed, some strong weather and in only a few hours. Like yesterday temperatures reached to 29 over here and 33C in the east where everybody was enjoying the sun till 18.00 hour and around 20.00 hour your house was damaged or you have seen flying parts of trees etc. This kind of weather have something to do with our climate changing, specially the last few years we know more and more extremes like drier periods and when the rain is coming we see short storms like this and it almost looks like they get havier every year. Also whirlwinds or small look a like tornado's we do see more and more.. :blink: Like 10 years ago we know summer days where it was raining all the day, and now in the most times we do got or rain massive in a very short time and then the sun is shining again. It's not really tropical, but sometimes it's very similair the last few years like the USA but then in a smaller way.

More and more damage pictures are coming in, the last news stay with two deads yesterday and wounded people. The closed the area around the camping because they are doing some research what happend over there, signs give a very strong downburst, but it have to been very strong because even the electric steal towers snapped off. They also start a research around the place in the north where big whirlwind was obeservated by many people and also there lots of damage.

Bye bye forest...

paul_roosendaal17.jpg

One of the many damaged buildings and houses.

vethuizen_wilmadekort01.jpg

warm_dicktevoorwis02.jpg

winterswijk_bertiewillemsen01.jpg

Here is a movie, that show the damage around the camping from above.

http://www.rtl.nl/components/actueel/rtlnieuws/miMedia/2010/week28/Thu14.stormschade_vethuizen_helikopter2.xml

Movie where a tree is cutting proffesional by the wind..

This a movie just over the German border, where you see a "treedomino" snapping off at 0.30.

If I see those pictures and movies, I'm very happy that the most active parts missed me and got only some rain here or wind speeds without the strongness to bring damage. And the forecasts looking good again with higher temperatures in the end of this week again :) So I stop posting pictures and movies, time to get positive messages again :D

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Overnight minimum temperature dropped to 20.0C (68.0F) and humidity peaked at only 77%. Interestingly enough, the temperature was still 27C (80.6F) at 1:00 am, then from 3:00 am the breeze died right back.

Yesterday's maximum only reached 32.3C (90.1F) with a low humidity of 43%.

Brisbane gets hotter than 28deg in summer, Tyrone, for sure. BTW, talked to Scott this morning about your wife's job, not sure about legal secretary, but I know the legal firms are complaining about not being able to retain their staff from down south... So, yes, in Darwin, if you want to work, you WILL find work...

Tempting.

What I meant about Brisbane is I thought it's average peaked around 28C in summer. I went and had a look at the BOM figures and found that Coolangata is around 28C in summer, most of Brissie is around 29C and some places are in the 30's. That whole area is huge so you'll get variations. Basically in Brissie and the Gold Coast you can bet that you'll get max's in the twenties pretty much all year round and if it's not in the twenties it's in the thirties. Not bad.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Brisbane is ok, Tyrone... but I still can't grow my ultra tropicals heliconias... Yes, I do plant stuff besides palms (but then you already know that!!).

BTW, it must be dry again today... worked over an hour in the shadehouse weeding and didn't even sweat!! Hhmm... need to do some repotting, any volunteers??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I guess I can stop posting on the "Where's Summer?" thread since it most assuredly has been "summer" for several days with heat advisories and severe thunderstorm watches in surrounding area. Monsoonal showers advecting northwest out of Mexico have triggered many fires due to lightning strikes this afternoon mainly over San Diego and Orange counties and over the mountain & desert regions. The subtropical high pressure system should move east again next week as the Pacific trough reasserts itself.

Today the official monsoon forecast by the National Weather Service suggests that this will be a weak monsoon summer due to the strength of the troughs off the West Coast. Those low pressure systems are the reason the California coast has been unseasonably cool and cloudy this summer [except recently].

Hi: 97F\ 36.1C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

I wonder whether summer will be a bit longer for you that it has arrived late??? I was hoping for an early wet, but since we still had rain in May, I think my chance is pretty slim...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I saw a documentary the other day about tornadoes and england is the most tornado prone place in europe. That really surprised me. I guess being in such close proximity that the netherlands are bound to get the occasional one also.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Not that it makes much difference but I somehow put in the wrong figure for the minimum this morning. It was actually 21.0C (69.8F), and not 20.0C (68.0F). A typo that I didn't pick up.

Anyway, maximum today was 32.6C (90.7F), low humidity of 37%.

It's been real windy again. If it keeps running through the night then the minimum shouldn't go too low. If it does drop then yeah .... yuk! But everything is drying out. You can see the level in my dam dropping. Although, with the late ending wet season the dam is still higher than usual for this time of year. Cormorants and egrets are moving in and getting the fish. Probably a lot of other waterholes are dry already.

Just on the Brisbane/Durban comparison, some of the other figures I dug out indicated the absolute maximum temperature in Brisbane is a couple of degrees higher than Durban, the absolute minimum is about a degree lower. Could indicate, seeing Brisbane's weather station in the city is well back from the coast, that Durban's could be closer to the coast. The highest July temperature for Brisbane is 29 point something

Yep.. everything is dry, Zig... including the lawn (that is supposed to be drought resistant)... Thank goodness for my bore..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I took the train up to the Blue Mountains yestrday; on the way I passed through the western outskirts of Sydney around the St Marys/Penrith area, which is fairly low-lying.

There were some fried majesty palms and bangalow (or alexandra?) palms out there as a result of the frosts in June.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

I just noticed that I had deleted a duplicate of the South America graphic on photobucket and the comparison ended up short one image.

So, here is South America forecast for today. There was a small amount of snow that fell in the mountains of Santa Catarina state over night with temperatures around minus 5 C. Here in Manaus the day started with a strong thunder storm and downpour which happens this time of year.

dk

FridaylowsAus.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I took the train up to the Blue Mountains yestrday; on the way I passed through the western outskirts of Sydney around the St Marys/Penrith area, which is fairly low-lying.

There were some fried majesty palms and bangalow (or alexandra?) palms out there as a result of the frosts in June.

Wow. Aren't Bangas native out there. It's been a cold winter.

Here's the forecast for Perth.

Back to cold nights. Yuck.

Perth Forecast

Issued at 4:30 pm WST on Friday 16 July 2010

Warning summary

A haze alert has been issued.

Forecast for Friday evening

A few showers. Moderate NW winds shifting SW during the afternoon.

Precis: Few showers.

Forecast for Saturday

Partly cloudy with the chance of an afternoon shower. Light S/SE'ly winds

shifting S/SW in the afternoon.

Precis: Chance of a shower.

City: Min 5 Max 17

Mandurah: Min 8 Max 16

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Mostly sunny. Min 2 Max 16

Monday Sunny. Min 2 Max 17

Tuesday Sunny. Min 3 Max 18

Wednesday Sunny. Min 2 Max 18

Thursday Sunny. Min 3 Max 19

Friday Sunny. Min 4 Max 20

Today we got to 20.2C with strong sun and blue skies followed by dark clouds and soaking heavy rain. This pattern continued all day. It got quite humid too. It's getting darker later now. The difference from a few weeks ago is noticeable. I will be happy when August gets here, because the probability of extreme cold falls off dramatically then.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yep.. everything is dry, Zig... including the lawn (that is supposed to be drought resistant)... Thank goodness for my bore..

Oh is Scott watering for you now ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

Minus 1 last night, I knew it was too cold to be the predicted temperature. Supposed to be above freezing tonight but doesnt feel like it out there. 23 was the maximum and as the cold wind stayed away it felt reasonably warm outside. Mozzies were out and about today too, is that a good sign that spring is on the way ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

Oh is Scott watering for you now ?

Peachy

Scott had a laugh out of that one... :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mozzies were out and about today too, is that a good sign that spring is on the way ?

Peachy

No, I get them all year. Sorry.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like the highs are reestablishing back over southern Australia again, hopefully giving NZ a break from them. It's going to be a cold week over southern Oz. Canberra is forecast to drop to -4 one morning in the next week.

Tyrone

We're still getting a lot of wind but it's tending to drop right off overnight. Where it does keep going it makes a lot of difference. Last nights minimum was 18.7C (65.7F), at about 7:30am this morning. 10pm last night it got down to about 20C (68F) but around midnight it was back up over 25C (77F).

There's a huge cloud mass moving in from the Indian Ocean. It joins the low pressure west of Sumatra. But the furthest north it's going onto the continent is the Pilbara. Don't know why the Timorese can't develop a low off their west coast for a change. The Sumatrans are doing it all the time.

A new statistic I've put together. This is the time (and % of that time period) the temperature stays above a certain figure during the night. I've taken our sunset/sunrise times as the boundaries, 6:40am to 7:10pm.

>28C 00 hrs 20 mins, 2.6%

>27C 00 hrs 40 mins, 5.3%

>26C 00 hrs 50 mins, 6.6%

>25C 01 hrs 10 mins, 9.2%

>24C 03 hrs 00 mins, 23.7%

>23C 04 hrs 30 mins, 35.5%

>22C 06 hrs 40 mins, 52.6%

>21C 09 hrs 50 mins, 77.6%

>20C 12 hrs 00 mins, 94.7%

>19C 12 hrs 40 mins, 100%

Looking back at that, possibly doing it from 3pm to 9am would be better as the coldest time can often be up to 7:30am. And, would it be better to show length of time BELOW a certain temperature rather than above?

Boy it sure looks cold over in Australia. I feel for you. Well, I can´t really feel much, buy I do imagine it is getting old. Here in southern Brazil the cold is still around. Here are some pictures. The last one is of the streets downtown Sao Paulo. It is not as cold there, but still cool.

dk

Frio17Jul3.jpg

Frio17Jul2.jpg

friio17jul.jpg

Frio17JulSP.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ouch don't want to see icy pictures, I have seen that enough the last two horrible winters. :mrlooney: Defitnely cold over there and in australia. Very cool day so far here with 19.6C at the moment with some sunshine but a strong western breeze, don't think it will be much higher then 21-22C later this afternoon what's around average. The night's stay very mild also with the few cooler days now, last night not cooler then 15.6C.

Forecast at the moment is defitnely not bad with a new heat push from tomorrow.

Sunday 26C

Monday 29C

Tuesday 30C

Wednesday 33C

Thursday 26C

The last few times the maximum temperature was bit higher then forecasted so maybe 3 new 30C days are on the way. Not a good thing, specially for the eastern people the cards shown a similair situation at the moment for wednesday/thursday like last wednesday with supercells, heavy rain, heavy damage but we will see if that's going to happen again, if so then it would be the thirth time in 2 weeks.

Robbin

Southwest

Maximum today 33.6C (92.5F), humidity got down to 33%. Still windy up to the middle of the day and then calmer through the afternoon. Might be another cool night.

Looking at those photos it looks a lot colder in Brazil.

Way too cold in Brazil... aren't you lucky you are in the tropics, Don??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Down to 1c last night and felt cool today until I got nearly right into the city then I actually had to put the car's a/c on. The warmth has hung around and I am only about to put the heating on now. Supposed to be 3 tonight but hopefully it wont drop that far going by the feel of things tonight. I bought a nice Caryota ochlandra today, about a metre high, which should in time provide a fair bit of protection for some of the front yard stuff that is yet to have any canopy over it. Also bought a Syagrus sancona for quick cover. Now all I need is warm weather and a lot of rain.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Ari,

I do like my climate. Today is cloudy and cool. The satellite pictue attached shows clouds going from southern Brazil up to the Caribbean. The cold front from Argentina is the southern part. I do not know if the clouds have anything to do with this or not.

dk

post-188-1279371776312_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Min of 4.6C this morning which was warmer than the 3C forecast. It's sunny outside ( I'm being positive) with a max of 16C. SIggghhhhh.

Cocie is still growing. :) This coconut thinks it's a Parajubaea.

Here's the forecast. It has it's good bits and not so good bits.

Forecast for Sunday

A cold morning, followed by a partly cloudy day. Light to moderate S/SE winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Max 16

Mandurah: Max 16

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 4 Max 17

Tuesday Sunny. Min 4 Max 18

Wednesday Cold morning. Sunny. Min 2 Max 18

Thursday Sunny. Min 3 Max 19

Friday Sunny. Min 4 Max 20

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 4 Max 20

I'm grateful for small mercies this time of year. The maximums should keep things ticking along in gear. Even if it's first gear.

Best regards

Tyrone

Durban has highs of 26-27 all this week and lowest min of 10. Definitely warmer than Brisbane.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Still, that's pretty impressive. Even the warmest parts of Brisbane wouldn't have those temps at this time of year?

Dug up the climate averages for Durban and Brisbane because it difficult to get an accurate picture by comparing isolated day to day figures. There's not much difference really. The Brisbane data is to one decimal place but couldn't find Durban data the same. So the Durban figures could be up to 0.5 either side of the number shown.

Perhaps Durban is having an unusually mild winter?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Ari,

I do like my climate. Today is cloudy and cool. The satellite pictue attached shows clouds going from southern Brazil up to the Caribbean. The cold front from Argentina is the southern part. I do not know if the clouds have anything to do with this or not.

dk

Don, can you ever describe your weather as "cool"? Nice photos.

Still hot but not as humid in Southern California.

Max: 95F\ 35C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

I guess that was a relative statement. But, by local standards yesterday was cool. And, that is what the people here were calling it. Now in fact the only time it is really ever cool is inside with the AC on.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It is still overcast at around 8 AM and feels cool out, even if the temperature is really not much different than normal.

Here are the days low and high temperatures across Brazil.

Low temperatures for the day.

MintempJuly18.jpg

High temperatures for the day.

maxjuly18br.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Warm and sunny again today, didnt get cold till about 10pm. No rotten wind either, which is a blessing. Repotted some of the new palms today and was going to plant a couple of the tough species but got a case of the can't be bothereds and slept all afternoon. (and half the evening) The ground is incredibly dry, I will have to spend most of tomorrow watering. It soaks as fast as it hits the ground. A few very big cracks appearing out front too that will have to be flooded before they turn into a ravine.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Went down to 7C last night which is much better than the 4C they were predicting. It's cloudy out there now though, so a cold miserable day today. I hope we get to 21C on Sunday like they are forecasting.

Best regards

Tyrone

Cold night last night... not sure what it was as my weather station is doing funny tricks again.... But, the dry wind is back with a vengeance on the weekend and today. Bummer, because I just planted some palms in my licuala bed... Oh well, I guess I just keep watering and hope for the best... I can't wait any longer... the shadehouse needs to be cleaned out!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"