IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is the most equable climate?

displaced_floridian

Don't forget to look beyond temperature and humidity. What about "killer" winds, hurricanes/typhoons???

Now you find a great place for your palms, but can you live w/the political system there (out side of the USA if you are an American)??

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Don't forget to look beyond temperature and humidity. What about "killer" winds, hurricanes/typhoons???

Now you find a great place for your palms, but can you live w/the political system there (out side of the USA if you are an American)??

Steve,

I think most of the locations mentioned have cyclones. You need to be within 5 degrees of the equator to rule them out.

As to your second question I really do not have any problem with the political system where I live. In fact when I moved back to the States in the 90s I had a hard time adjusting there. So, I moved back here. Well it was a bit more complex than that. In reality aside from Best Buy and Home Depot there is not much I miss about the States. And, that I can solve with a 5 hour plane flight. And, that does not count my parents and kids, I do miss them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That is why I choose tropical highlands in Java (preferably West Java)... no cyclone. Only volcanoes... but in that case... so is Hawaii...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Close to the equator as a rule you don't get typhoons. There's insufficient Coriolis Effect. The Gilberts are almost right on the equator.

That is why I choose tropical highlands in Java (preferably West Java)... no cyclone. Only volcanoes... but in that case... so is Hawaii...

Regards, Ari :)

No active volcanos north of the Big Island.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Close to the equator as a rule you don't get typhoons. There's insufficient Coriolis Effect. The Gilberts are almost right on the equator.

Now we are talking about pretty small places. sure you won't get "rock" fever? or should I say "coral" fever?

Steve,

I think most of the locations mentioned have cyclones. You need to be within 5 degrees of the equator to rule them out.

As to your second question I really do not have any problem with the political system where I live. In fact when I moved back to the States in the 90s I had a hard time adjusting there. So, I moved back here. Well it was a bit more complex than that. In reality aside from Best Buy and Home Depot there is not much I miss about the States. And, that I can solve with a 5 hour plane flight. And, that does not count my parents and kids, I do miss them.

dk

Nothing against your adopted home, but i doubt most Americans would agree to live outside of this nation. I for one as I'd need to learn another language which I've never been able to do to this point in my life. I have enough trouble w/english.

Steve,

You are right that most people would not adapt, nor want to go somewhere they have to adapt to culturally. But, each to his own. The USA is made up of immgrants anyway. Personally I have become a multicultural person over the years. I actually use and think more in Portuguese than I do in English. My work is mostly done in Portuguese, and since my wife does not yet speak English the main language at home is Portuguese. I have been either living Brazil, married to a Brazilian, or dealing with Brazil now since 1974.

In relationship to this thread climate is only one factor when a person looks at the globe. The culture, economic conditions, etc. are major factors. Most people still have to work to make a living and working and doing business in a country other than one´s native home is a challange to say the least. And, it is not something that someone later on in life can do easily. Now retiring to another country like many do to Central America, the Caribbean, and other places is different thing. Personally the last thing I would want to do is to retire to a place full of other retired Americans, or even Brazilians for that matter. And, since I started a family again in my late 50´s and have two small boys I don´t think retirement is in the cards anyway.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I was looking at San Juan, Puerto Rico, where the absolute maximum is 98F and the absolute

minimum is 60F. Where in the world is there a more equable climate than this?

I've been to both places and would have to say Hawaii has the most equable climate.

Many places never see 90f

jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Cocos Island (Indian Ocean) is far more equable in climate than Hawaii. Also Christmas Island (Indian Ocean).

Christmas Island 16.2C (61.2F) to 31.8C (89.2F)

Cocos Island 18.3C (64.9F) to 32.8C (91.0F)

Official figures listed for Hawaii on the website

www.meteorologyclimate.com/US-records.htm

Hilo 10.6C to 34.4C

Honolulu 9.4C to 35C

Kahului 8.9C to 36.1C

Lihue 7.8C to 32.8C

Mauna Kea Obs. -11.1C to 28C

Pahala 10C to 37.8C

Papeekeo 10.6C to 33.9C

Couldn't find the official figures for San Juan, Puerto Rico. But taking the figures given "the absolute maximum is 98F and the absolute minimum is 60F" it also leaves San Juan out of the race.

I guess where I live is out of the race as well. The absolute minimum is listed as 16 C and the maximum is at 39 C. Although I do not believe that the maximum is 39 C. I have seen it over 40 C various times. And, yesterday the street temperature signs were at 39 C in the afternoon. It looks like summer is arriving.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

DK, I think Singapore is in the same boat as you, their upper extreme gets a bit high. We spread out a bit both sides. But Micronesia, parts of New Guinea and Indonesia have enough water around to keep the highs down.