IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Black sugar cane

Walter John

I bought some of this yesterday, has anyone grown this plant ? Any tips/advice ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Never grown in but have been looking into it cause I like to eat evaporated cane juice in place of refined sugar. Since Florida is so heavily planted in cane as a cash crop the University of Florida's extension has a fairly descriptive article on culture...

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sc052

My guess is this stuff pretty much grows like a weed compared to the finicky things us palm lovers grow. B)

Got a picture Wal. This sounds very intriguing. I've never heard of it. I bet it looks awesome.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They are nice.. although can be a bit messy and out of control. You just have to clean it out every now and then. It is very fast growing and makes a good screen. I use it to screen my hills hoist...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They are nice.. although can be a bit messy and out of control. You just have to clean it out every now and then. It is very fast growing and makes a good screen. I use it to screen my hills hoist...

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

Wal, this is sugar cane farmland here too. When I was small, the sugar cane was a dark purple color, nearly black. Could that be what is called "black" there? Today, the cane farmers all use modern hybrids, which are shorter, green, with many more stalks, higher sugar content. But the older purple cane is sold occaisionally, usually at country stores, for folks who want a taste of the past. Taste being literal. You can chew the old purple cane. The new stuff is hard as a rock.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have 2 different types, Keith... one with darkish purple cane and normal green/yellow leaves... and one with darkish purple and reddish leaves.. Not my cup of tea... but Scott likes it...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I have 2 different types, Keith... one with darkish purple cane and normal green/yellow leaves... and one with darkish purple and reddish leaves.. Not my cup of tea... but Scott likes it...

The one I have is the first one you mentioned Ari, with dark cane and green leaves, that second one is known as Purple cane and ah, any sugars in your tea dear ? :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is planted at the end of the shed receiving winter sun and holding out till Spring.

post-51-12736998403002_thumb.jpg

post-51-12736998812773_thumb.jpg

post-51-12736999673523_thumb.jpg

post-51-12736998072201_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I found this on Dave's Garden: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/33217/

Now you guys got me looking for some of this stuff.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 9 months later...

And now look what the black sugar cane has turned into after only 9 months. Highly recommend this plant as an addition to a tropical palmy garden.

a few angles here

post-51-029639800 1297580804_thumb.jpg

post-51-011792400 1297580882_thumb.jpg

post-51-072132400 1297580829_thumb.jpg

post-51-022396600 1297580859_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, your sugarcane is the variety 'Badila' which is one of the noble varieties that built the Queensland sugar industry. It was first imported in 1896 and was grown right up until mechanical harvesting took over from the cane cutters. It has one of the highest sugar contents of any sugarcane but the problem is that it gets smashed by mechanical harvesters and therefore is no good commercially anymore.

Just a bit of useless trivia for you !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

And now look what the black sugar cane has turned into after only 9 months. Highly recommend this plant as an addition to a tropical palmy garden.

a few angles here

post-51-029639800 1297580804_thumb.jpg

post-51-011792400 1297580882_thumb.jpg

post-51-072132400 1297580829_thumb.jpg

post-51-022396600 1297580859_thumb.jpg

Wal,

This looks quite beautiful. But something tells me that when it grows up it will be quite "wildly." Are you going to eat it, or did you buy mostly for the aesthetics ?

Manny

Wal,

This looks quite beautiful. But something tells me that when it grows up it will be quite "wildly." Are you going to eat it, or did you buy mostly for the aesthetics ?

Manny

A bit of both Manny, I'll cut and maintain the clump just like I aim to with the bamboo.

I've also got a clump of purple sugar cane happening as well, see below:

post-51-074134100 1297623670_thumb.jpg

post-51-068950100 1297623694_thumb.jpg

post-51-073421500 1297623640_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, your sugarcane is the variety 'Badila' which is one of the noble varieties that built the Queensland sugar industry. It was first imported in 1896 and was grown right up until mechanical harvesting took over from the cane cutters. It has one of the highest sugar contents of any sugarcane but the problem is that it gets smashed by mechanical harvesters and therefore is no good commercially anymore.

No, that's not useless trivia, I love that kind of info, thanks. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

fantastic info Andrew seen a few lovely looking tall stands of this and it seems to stay very managable .

Appears to get propagules hanging off high up , for ease of propagattion , do you know if there are any 'rules'

against growing old cane varieties ? If you ask a Govt agencie they would make one up I am sure .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I have a few growing.... although they did serve well as good screening plants, they got quite messy after a while. I think I might remove them & plant heliconia instead. I planted 1 and now I have 4.... The cane just dropped and layed itself down, hence it grew new plants - choking everything else in between. So, I think you have to clean it all the time to keep it under control.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

fantastic info Andrew seen a few lovely looking tall stands of this and it seems to stay very managable .

Appears to get propagules hanging off high up , for ease of propagattion , do you know if there are any 'rules'

against growing old cane varieties ? If you ask a Govt agencie they would make one up I am sure .

Mick, yes apparently anybody living within the Queensland sugarcane catchment is not supposed to grow any of the old varieties. I actually grew 'Badila' in Cairns and when I moved to Bundy I took some there. I had a few comments from disgruntled canegrowers but I just ignored them but I also had some canegrowers ask me for some! It does develop plenty of propagules and is very easy to propagate that way, it also is really bad for 'Hairy Mary' and I always used when I cut it otherwise I would itch for ages! Apparently 'Badila' was first found growing wild in PNG before making it's way to Queensland. Great to know that people are still growing this variety.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

• 2 weeks later...

Wal, that 'Badila' is a real looker! I'm going to look into some of that myself...

I have the other one with the dark leaves- it's so tiny!- at my place now, but that Badila variety is very striking! :drool:

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.