Cold damage in North Brevard

Jimbean

I have different accounts to exactly how cold it got here. It seems that the temperature dropped to around 23F to 24F in Port St. John. I am sure GSN could add to this if he wishes to. Note: this cold damage is very unusual for the area; Port St. John is roughly the equivalent to either Sarasota or Ruskin for those of you on the west coast of Florida.

Pseudophoenix sargentii:

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Ravenea rivularis:

IMG_0004-2.jpg

Ficus aurea (defoliated):

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Ficus benjamina (defoliated):

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Brevard County, Fl

I would like to note that there were many more pictures that I would have liked to have taken, but hardly no one was home at the time an I did not want to take a picture of their property without their permission. However I will testify that the queen palms were any where from 20% to 100% defoliated, other royals 100% defoliated, coconuts 100% defoliated, foxtails 100% defoliated, and Bismarks 10% to 30% defoliated.

There was a surprise, that is my Thrinax morrissii went through this unscathed:

IMG_0008-2.jpg

I also had two Thrinax radiata nearby, one (not shown) is dead, here is the other:

IMG_0010-2.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

you can see that the bud is damaged, but the rest of it looks good. These palms were all growing underneath a slash pine, so they did have some protection.

Brevard County, Fl

i cant beleive the brazilian pepper, its so weird how smaller ones right under larger ones are brown, but the bigger ones are still green. theres a large coconut down the street that has a little green in the middle, i cant wait untill summer to see how many things surprise us and come back, in sebastian on riverfront drive theres a cocos that someone cut the top off and a new shoot came right out of the trunk. so if they can survive that than they will probably live through this.

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

The palms there sure took quite a blow . Looks like it was below 25 degrees to me . Did you get any snow or sleet? Cheers to spring.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

The palms there sure took quite a blow . Looks like it was below 25 degrees to me . Did you get any snow or sleet? Cheers to spring.

Yes, there was persistent sleet for hours there (unprecedented). Here were the worse temperatures: 23, 26, 27, 29, 28, 29, and many more nights in the low 30's. Port St. John was a cold hole this year.

I also saw Senegal date palms with 20% damage in that area.

Brevard County, Fl

my royal poinciana (though just a baby) died back to the ground but is resprouting. i notice alot of foxtails in parking lots dont look that bad, the concrete held alot of heat. and same here in palm bay.

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!