IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Unfortunately the dry season is just around the corner... we were promised a wet week, but so far not so wet... So, I think bye bye wet season... and welcome the dry season (let's hope I am wrong though). I hope it won't be another long one!! Otherwise my bore will be working overtime....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's a picture of a storm lastnight at Murrin mine in inland WA. These were storms on the outer arm of the low off the west coast. This arm missed us on the west coast but went inland and formed some impressive storms.

Best regards

Tyrone

DSC_1514.JPG.zip

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The rain's there, but it's further inland. Jabiru's been copping a daily drenching of around 50+ mm each day. The Magela crossing has 2 metres of water over it. The West Alligator Rivers are lapping at the bridges. Adelaide River (Stuart Highway) and Batchelor are also getting a lot. It's just that this time Darwin is being bypassed. Where I work we got 65 mm one day, 29 mm the next, and 75 the day after that. The Fat Lady hasn't sung yet.

I like lightning photos. There was a great one in the papers last year at Noonamah. I scanned it but newsprint doesn't allow for reasonable resolution pictures.

You should try to get to our 'local' weather forum again, Zig. Some of the photographers post there... They took the most amazing lightning shots!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well it's been rainy here and now my Heliconia psittacorum cross decides to flower. Maybe it needed to cool off before it flowered.

So far we are above average in temp for April, but mainly at night. Back up to 26-28C during the day and up to about 16C at night. Not bad after a few days of consistent rain.

Forecast for Thursday evening

Shower or two. Moderate W'ly winds.

Precis: Shower or two.

Forecast for Friday

A morning shower or two. Light to moderate S/SW winds.

Precis: Morning shower or two.

City: Min 16 Max 24

Mandurah: Min 17 Max 23

UV Alert: 9:50 am to 2:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: LOW-MODERATE

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 12 Max 26

Sunday Sunny. Min 14 Max 28

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 15 Max 26

Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 15 Max 28

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 26

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I just heard about the iceland volcano??? Do you think it will affect summer in America. A few international flights to Europe has been cancelled due to the ash.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Great weather here for the next few days. Not bad for mid April. We've had a fair bit of rain and everything is damp. Time to grow again palms.

Forecast for Saturday

Mostly sunny. Light to moderate E/SE winds with an afternoon coastal sea breeze.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Max 26

Mandurah: Max 25

UV Alert: 10:00 am to 2:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: LOW-MODERATE

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Sunday Sunny. Min 14 Max 29

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 16 Max 27

Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 15 Max 25

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 25

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 27

Friday Shower or two. Min 16 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

I am currently in Boa Vista, Roraima, 2.5 degrees north. I have been in the northern hemisphere since Thursday night. The rainy season is starting to set in. Although today was sunny and hot.

Currently At 5:46PM

Partly Sunny

32°C

RealFeel®

36°C

Winds: ESE

at 8km/h

Partly Sunny

Humidity: 55%

Dew Point: 22° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 16 km

Tomorrow Showers

High: 33°C

RealFeel®: 49°C

Sunrise: 5:57 AM

Tonight T-Storms

Low: 24°C

RealFeel®: 32°C

Sunset: 6:08 PM

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

DK, when you crossed over into the northern hemisphere did you feel the coriolis effect spinning you off in the opposite direction? wink-1.gif

The weather's still being funny here. A large high pressure system over the southern parts of the continent blew all the cloud away the other day and left us with bright sunny skies. Next thing storm clouds developed and I ended up getting 41.7 mm. Then it clouded up heavily the next day, on the satellite image cloud covered the whole north of the continent and a monsoon trough was hovering not far off the coast. But no rain, until yesterday. It rained all around me but I only got 0.8 mm. And this morning the sun came out all bright and shiny again. Just can't work out what's going to happen.

At the moment there's no sign of rain (radar shows it off the coast) and the satellite image shows all the cloud to our east, very little here (although it's actually fairly cloudy now). Currently (12:55 hrs) at my place it's 31C, humidity 70%, heat index 38C, and an occasional slight breeze.

There might be one or two in the coming week, rain... that is. But, I think the dry is just around the corner now... The coolish wind has started...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

SO TYPICAL last few days of the week nice and sunny , and all weekend pouring rain .. :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I thought it was hot today. It nearly hit 33C. Sadly I don't think I'll see such a warm day again until Oct or Nov. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

It was 26C at 7pm tonight. I've got the lawn sprinklers on. It's a nice summers night tonight. :)

I thought it was hot today. It nearly hit 33C. Sadly I don't think I'll see such a warm day again until Oct or Nov. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Yeah, was cooling down here too until this weekend...was 28C yesterday, and hit 29C today. Like the last few drops out of a freshly squeezed orange...I think that's all we're gunna get (for 5-6 months). The mulch has been put down nice and thick, everything seems to have established well since being planted out in Spring...so let's see how a couple of 50/50 palms fare over the cool months.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

You guys in Melbourne have had a warm run this year. More than average anyway. How often do you get 29C in mid to late April?

Best regards

Tyrone

DK, when you crossed over into the northern hemisphere did you feel the coriolis effect spinning you off in the opposite direction? wink-1.gif

Zig,

Actually I did not feel much. I was on a night flight which left at 0220 going up and 0235 coming home. But, I have driven back and forth a lot by car. It is interesting to see the weather change as you approach the equator and cross over. I am about 350 kms from the equator and Boa Vista is about 425 kms north.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The U.S. West Coast remains unsettled with occasional storms spinning out of the Gulf of Alaska & dropping even into northern Baja. Another system is forecast to enter California this week & pull cold air & gusty winds into the lower elevations. The Sierra Nevada mountains are under a winter storm watch for snowfall down to 5000'\ 1524km. Pretty late in the year but not unheard of. The past few days have been delightful but not for long!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

You guys in Melbourne have had a warm run this year. More than average anyway. How often do you get 29C in mid to late April?

Best regards

Tyrone

G'day Tyrone,

Yes - this is unseasonal weather for us. It's 26C right now, and a little muggy....the garden should be loving that. Showers right through to Sunday starting tomorrow, with temps from 23C during day down to 16C at night....I will take that heading into late April. She's all over by the weekend though...back down to high teens - low 20's.

Regards

Michael.

Edited by Miccles

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Weather has been very pleasant here. The sun still has a lot of kick, even though the UV is down to 6. A few nice showers to wet the garden down, but a couple of days of good rain would be nice before winter sets in.

Forecast for Tuesday

A few showers. Moderate SE winds, fresh at times.

Precis: A few showers

City: Min 18 Max 26

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 2:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Wednesday A few showers Min 19 Max 26

Thursday Shower or two Min 19 Max 26

Friday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 27

Saturday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 28

Sunday Mostly fine Min 20 Max 30

Monday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 28

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Michael, I'm glad you're getting an extended growing season. Daryl, your weather is perfect.

Today we had not a cloud in the sky and 28C. It's quite warm now at 10.45pm at least inside. It's just under 20C outside now. We're only 5 weeks from winter and we have not had a night this year below 10C. We should be getting that by now. Sometimes March has a few, but not March just gone. It's rain again and low to mid twenties by the end of the week and mins in the mid teens. I predict all of Oz to have a mild and warm winter this year. The averages seem to be heading that way everywhere. If we have average rainfall and above average temps for winter here I'm very happy.

Best regards

Tyrone

Woke this morning to 16C and dew dripping off everything with 100% RH. It was like it had rained, but there was a blue sky. Lots of humidity in the air. Palms and Heliconia's are loving this mild weather. I expect my mountain palms to come into there own now, like my Ptychococcus lepidotus which should like the mid teen nights and mid twenties days and a bit of rain now and again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Its raining here at last - Huzzah!

Still very mild here.

I think over summer we had the hottest 100 day period ever recorded in Hobart.

Chin-chin,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

That's the high pressure system over the south east of the country doing that. And it's effect on us is to keep the monsoon trough, currently only a couple of hundred kilometres off our coast, out to sea and almost dry season conditions here. The sky today was a clear, blazing deep blue and humidity dropped to the 50% mark. The temperatures are now moving to the mid 30's but the UV index is down to 12.

Went down to 14.7C this morning with around 100%RH. Going for 26C today and a bit cloudy.

Best regards

Tyrone

24 deg this morning when we went to work.... Yeah, the dry season is here...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The Fat lady hasn't sung yet. With all that monsoonal activity off to the north it looks like a cyclone will form within that trough line. But the strong high pressure over the southeast of the continent might force it westwards. As it moves polewards there could be a chance of dragging the monsoon trough down, although still possibly not down to us. It'll be worth watching how it evolves over the next few days. Stand by to 'welcome' Sean onto the scene.

A few good showers yesterday, but today it rained steadily all day and well into the evening. I was going to have a swim today but it was only 25....way too cold for swimming, so I got my exercise sprawled out in the hot bubbling spa. It's been very humid for weeks and now we have had a decent drop of rain, hopefully the palms will get on the last growth spurt for the season. I still have to finish my mid autumn feeding and mulching, but somehow I think a few things will be missing out this time.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

The Fat lady hasn't sung yet. With all that monsoonal activity off to the north it looks like a cyclone will form within that trough line. But the strong high pressure over the southeast of the continent might force it westwards. As it moves polewards there could be a chance of dragging the monsoon trough down, although still possibly not down to us. It'll be worth watching how it evolves over the next few days. Stand by to 'welcome' Sean onto the scene.

Zig,

I think she has sung!! But then, I am glad to be proven wrong...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It was very humid yesterday. Around noon you could see a moisture haze everywhere and it wasn't pollution or a fire somewhere. Dewpoints have been in the mid teens which is unusual this time of year. There is a cyclone forming just south of Indo, and will travel down the west coast a long way off shore. If it continues that track it may effect Perth's weather in a few days, but I doubt it will cross the coast anywhere. Still it's a cyclone and they act like they are alive so who knows what it will do. We're mid twenties until Tues and Wed when we're back up to 28C. Although the nights feel cool now, we're a couple of degrees above average for this time of year. I hope this continues right through winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

I flew down to São Paulo today for a meeting in the morning. Today was a holiday so businesses were closed. The 3 hour 20 minute fligt took me to the latitude of 23° 34', South and an altitude of about 750 meters above sea level. São Paulo actually has a sub tropical climate even though it is just in the souther part of the tropics.

dk

Weather in São Paulo at the moment.

Currently At 12:22AM

Clear

24°C

RealFeel®

25°C

Winds: CLM

at 0km/h

Clear

Humidity: 68%

Dew Point: 18° C

Pressure: 102 KPA

Tonight Intermittent Clouds

Low: 17°C

RealFeel®: 16°C

Sunset: 5:47 PM

Today Mostly Sunny

High: 27°C

RealFeel®: 31°C

Sunrise: 6:23 AM

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Zig,

What you can hear me singing all the way from down here ??

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I flew down to São Paulo today for a meeting in the morning. Today was a holiday so businesses were closed. The 3 hour 20 minute fligt took me to the latitude of 23° 34', South and an altitude of about 750 meters above sea level. São Paulo actually has a sub tropical climate even though it is just in the souther part of the tropics.

dk

Weather in São Paulo at the moment.

Currently At 12:22AM

Clear

24°C

RealFeel®

25°C

Winds: CLM

at 0km/h

Clear

Humidity: 68%

Dew Point: 18° C

Pressure: 102 KPA

Tonight Intermittent Clouds

Low: 17°C

RealFeel®: 16°C

Sunset: 5:47 PM

Today Mostly Sunny

High: 27°C

RealFeel®: 31°C

Sunrise: 6:23 AM

Similar to what we've been having here the last couple of days, maybe a bit more humid. Today was cloudy and didn't get above 22C.

Best regards

Tyrone

The 3 month outlooks are in today.

Here's the rainfall outlook. A bit bleak for WA but it will keep my coconut happy I'm sure.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/rain_ahead.shtml

Here's the temp outlook. It looks like it will be a warm winter for my area. Again this should keep Cocie happy. :)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

SE QLD and NE NSW is going for a wetter and cooler winter at least when considering daytime temps. Nights will be warmer.

By the looks of it, the typical synoptic pattern to cause this scenario is a high that hangs in the Bight deflecting cold fronts away from the SW which it depends on for rain. This will cause easterlies over much of the continent, bringing dry conditions to the west and wetter conditions to the east due to the prevailing moisture laden winds hitting the land and then releasing heavy rain. It could be a dry windy winter for SW Oz. I will probably be watering a bit this winter. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Zig,

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

What you can hear me singing all the way from down here ??

Peachy, I think she's got the radio on wink-1.gif

Ari, there's a low up above Gove. It's been raining from Gove to Milingimbi, and even near Ngukurr and Mataranka. I'm not giving up until mid May. Not expecting much, but hoping for some. Sean-to-be is dragging moist air south, the high pressure system is pushing dry air up north.

As I said... I don't mind being wrong.... :winkie: . Any rain after this will be a bonus...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone, looks like we're having a bit of what you're having. But warmth is no stranger to us during winter. Nor is dry.

SE QLD and NE NSW is going for a wetter and cooler winter at least when considering daytime temps. Nights will be warmer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks to be the case here. 75mm since Saturday and nice warm temps currently in this neck of the woods. Hope it stays like this for winter!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Beautiful Autumn weather here, 70mm of rain since saturday & lovley warm days & very mild nights.

I'm with Daryl, winter weather like this would be great.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

The high pressure belts have now moved north and I'm now in that time of year when the high's sit directly overhead. Right now it's coolish and dead still with no clouds. Unlike a couple of nights ago it's a dryish cool. Not much humidity. A couple of nights ago the car was wet with dew. Not tonight. This might be the coolest night since last October, and maybe more of a typical April/May night. At least the days are sunny and warm with this synoptic pattern.

Very soon it will be winter. The first week in May is meant to have some wet and genuinely wintery days. I'll have the coconut wrapped up a bit by then.

If the winter didn't get much cooler than this I'd be very happy.

Tyrone

Man... it is hot today!!! 34 deg now... I was planning to do things around the garden today, but I think I have to wait for the afternoon.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"