IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

I love the weather this time of year, which just complements the summer greenery in the landscape. I hope autumn stays away for a while longer yet.

Daryl

Forecast for Monday

Mostly fine, just the chance of a brief shower. Light to moderate SW to SE

winds.

Precis: Mostly fine

City: Max 27

Bayside: Max 26

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 2:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Tuesday Mostly fine. Chance of a brief shower. Min 17 Max 27

Wednesday Fine. Min 18 Max 28

Thursday Fine. Min 18 Max 30

Friday Mostly fine. Brief shower. Min 19 Max 30

Saturday Fine. Min 20 Max 30

Sunday Fine. Min 21 Max 31

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Kurt, that's our rain! No wonder we can't get a decent wet season, you're hogging it all! rage.gifwink-1.gif

Your rain :hmm:

Here's some photo action from yesterday & today in the Daintree - amazing, almost half a metre of rain has fallen!

Just before Milky Pine Road

DSC04888.jpg

Cape Kimberly Road intersection.

DSC04889.jpg

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Just past the look out...

DSC04890.jpg

Water everywhere!

DSC04901.jpg

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Awesome!

DSC04893.jpg

Cooper Creek (this morning, a good 24 hours after the peak). A bus and 2 small cars were swamped yesterday.

DSC04922.jpg

Enjoy, Kurt

Kurt

That is a lot of water Kurt. Have you had any major landslides there with casualities?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That is a lot of water Kurt. Have you had any major landslides there with casualities?

dk

Hi dk.

Fortunately, no human casualties.

Kurt

Kurt,

That is good. There were a lot of people killed in Southeastern Brazil during the summer rainy season 09/010.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Nice palms in that last pic Kurt. The colours are wonderful.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Got to 30 here today and the forecast is for 33 tomorrow !!! Will someone tell mother nature its autumn....and that some rain on my place would be appreciated about now too.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Speaking of rain, there has been major flooding problems in Rio de Janeiro. Yesterday was the worst disaster in 40 years and city came to a stop. That is a city of about 10 million people totally paralized.

This is the weather there today.

AccuWeather.com Quick Look

Currently At 7:50AM

Rain

20°C

RealFeel®

19°C

Winds: WNW

at 11km/h

Rain

Humidity: 93%

Dew Point: 19° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 3 km

Tonight Rain

Low: 18°C

RealFeel®: 18°C

Sunset: 5:47 PM

Today Showers

High: 24°C

RealFeel®: 26°C

Sunrise: 6:03 AM

And here are some scences from the Rio on line paper, O Dia, from yesterday. What a mess. And so far 101 people have died in the flood.

Riorain1.jpg

Riorain2.jpg

Riorain3.jpg

Riorain4.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More from Rio de Janeiro yesterday.

Riorain5.jpg

Riorain6.jpg

Riorain7.jpg

Riorain8.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

DK, I saw on the news about the rains in Rio, it's a pretty bad situation. It seems most of the damage was in poorer areas built on steep hillsides.

Bit surprised at your weather, especially your maximum temperature. At 3 degrees south and at this time of year I'd have thought it would have still been warm. An altitude 92 metres couldn't be making that much difference. Is that unusual for this time of year?

Thanks for posting the flooding in Rio, Don! Is the flash flooding over? Also enjoy the photos of floods in Australia, Kurt.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

DK, I saw on the news about the rains in Rio, it's a pretty bad situation. It seems most of the damage was in poorer areas built on steep hillsides.

Bit surprised at your weather, especially your maximum temperature. At 3 degrees south and at this time of year I'd have thought it would have still been warm. An altitude 92 metres couldn't be making that much difference. Is that unusual for this time of year?

Zig,

The poorer areas were the ones with the most damage from landslides. But, a lot of the best parts of town were flooded and the damage to businesses must be enormous. Undoubtedly I will see a lot more on the evening news tonight.

As to my temperature here which is 25 C right now this is what happens on a day it rains all day. The temperature does not get above the night time temperature much because there is no sun. It really does not have much to do with the time of the year as the sun is always the same. It is the clouds and the rain. In the southern hemisphere winter we do get the very end of some cold fronts. And, this is in some of the hottest months of the year.

Happ,

The downpour was yesterday and today it is still raining, which makes things worse. There is a lot of danger on slopes of the mountains and hills in the area for mudslides with saturated soil over granitic rock. At a certain point it just slides downhill. And, since the city is full of mountains the rain just pours of the slopes into the city. And, the storm sewer system can not handle the load.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

[As to my temperature here which is 25 C right now this is what happens on a day it rains all day. The temperature does not get above the night time temperature much because there is no sun. It really does not have much to do with the time of the year as the sun is always the same. It is the clouds and the rain. In the southern hemisphere winter we do get the very end of some cold fronts. And, this is in some of the hottest months of the year.

Even at the equator the sun still moves throughout the year. Where you are it gets to about 26 degrees north of you in the northern hemisphere summer, and about 20 degrees south of you in the southern hemisphere summer. For us the corresponding figures are around 35 degrees north and 11 degrees south

Just as where you are, when there's heavy rain here the temperature doesn't vary between day and night, usually sits around 26C. But mostly our rain lasts through the afternoon and/or into the night, so the day gets above 30C anyway. Otherwise it's rare for a maximum temperature to be below 30C. We're in Heat Zone 14, having the average daily maximum temperatures equal to or greater than 30C for over 350 days per year.

The other thing you mentioned was cold fronts. They never reach here. The furthest they get is to about Tennant Creek, about 1000 kms south of Darwin. Are what you get actually cold fronts, or trough lines which can occur just about anywhere at any time? A cold front is associated with baroclinic conditions where you get big temperature differences behind and forward of the front. Barotropic conditions are where the temperatures are more even and is the normal condition in the tropics.

Zig,

Yes we get the very tail end of the cold fronts that are strong enough. They move up from Antarctica into southwestern Amazonia, the states of Rondonia and Acre which are about 900 kms south of us in the winter months. And, from what I understand they are what influences the cooler weather we have in this season. As the winter is the hottest season of the year here a sudden drop of temperature is very noticable. These are accoumpanied by thunderstorms. In local language this phenomenem is called Friagem, or I guess you would say cooling. There are even fish kills associated with these events. That does not mean that it gets cold though. The nights may hit a low of 20 C or maybe even a little less here. And, the days may be around 30 C instead of the normal 35 to 38 C. Down south in Acre and Rondonia the lows may hit 13 C or so.

Here the actual winter is called the summer and the summer is called the winter. We are still in the winter months in Manaus, which is the rainy season. It rained all day yesterday.

As to the sun I do watch the shadows move in my back yard during the year as the sun moves north to south. There is a difference, but it is not a big one. Now where I was raised at 45 degrees north the difference in shadows is overwhelming. My house is sitting east to west so it is easy to notice. But, that makes no difference with the temperatures. As the shortest days are the hottest ones due to less rain.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Although its officially midway through autumn, I am sitting here at nearly midnight with the airconditioner running and fans blowing cooled air all over the house. Its just like a hot summer night. Got to 32 today in my backyard, I just hope this is a portent for a mild winter again this year. A frost has it uses...it kills off a lot of the morning glory and syngonium infestation but its the collateral damage they do to my palms that makes me dread them. Forecasters say we are in for a wet week, I hope so !! Been very dry here lately inspite of rain falling all around me. Another big earthquake in Indonesia this time. It is certainly a period geological and climatic instability. Hopefully my palms will be big and tall when the end of the world arrives. :lol:

Peachy

27.35 south.

Transitioning to another trough & good chance of rainfall by early next week if all goes well. Recent warm temps [87F\ 30.5C yesterday] could easily drop 20 degree F by Sunday.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well it's been a beautiful week with days in the mid to high twenties and one at 30C. Next week the change comes in earnest with rain all week from Monday. Mins will be in the mid teens, and max's in the mid twenties despite the rain, so nice and humid. 28C to 30C (depends where you are) tomorrow before the rain. Palms are still growing strong.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Very hot here again today and tonight is one of those weird warm nights with lots of heavy fog. The palms seem to love this weather, even though we badly need some rain. I have been flooding the place with the sprinklers, doing the pre winter feeding and mulching, but only early mornings and late evenings when its not too hot to work outside. I think I am going to do a bit more planting this week, get the carport back if possible. Supposed to be rain next week, here's hoping some of it lands on my place.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The first cold front of the season looks like it will bring some rain for us, and the coldest weather we've felt since last October. :( Still we need the rain badly.

Forecast for Sunday

Sunny for most of the day, with some high cloud developing later in the

afternoon. Moderate NE winds tending W/NW during the afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Max 28

Mandurah: Max 27

UV Alert: 9:20 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Monday Shower or two. Min 14 Max 21

Tuesday Chance of a shower. Min 13 Max 24

Wednesday Showers. Min 14 Max 22

Thursday Shower or two. Min 14 Max 23

Friday Possible morning shower. Min 15 Max 24

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 26

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Home again today.... the grass is about my height... yikes!! It seems like the humidity is staying around a bit longer this year... Our friend has kindly recorded our rainfall while we were away. Time to inspect the damage of the trip...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This is becoming monotonous but it was very hot and humid again today and another steamy night is now in full swing. The weeds are thriving !!! Still no sign of rain impending unfortunately. :angry:

Peachy

27.35 south.

The first cold front of the season looks like it will bring some rain for us, and the coldest weather we've felt since last October. :( Still we need the rain badly.

Forecast for Sunday

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Regarding the UV alert what scale does Australia use? I just happened to notice. Here in Brazil they use a scale from 1 to 14. And, in Manaus it is 13 or 14 most days. Here is the scale and a map of today´s UV forecast from the Brazilian national weather service, CPTEC.

UVindexApril11.jpg

UVIndex.jpg

It looks like it is going to rain, so the UV may not get as high. So far what March lacked for rain April has made up for.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

World weather is a very interesting subject. While looking around for weather data for my place on the globe I have discovered that Brazil actually has some interesting technology on the internet. The NASA of Brazil is called INPE and the NOAA is called CPTEC. They have a colored cloud cover image in real time of South America. This is what it is like now on a Sunday morning. The clouds here look like it will rain in a while.

Current Weather.

Currently At 9:09AM

Cloudy

26°C

RealFeel®

33°C

Winds: WNW

at 8km/h

Cloudy

Humidity: 94%

Dew Point: 25° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 16 km

Cloud Cover SA April 11.

CloudcoverSAAprl11.jpg

Legend - the cloud cover is in Portuguese, but the names are about the same as English

CloudcoverSAApril11legend.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Forecast for Sunday

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Regarding the UV alert what scale does Australia use? I just happened to notice. Here in Brazil they use a scale from 1 to 14. And, in Manaus it is 13 or 14 most days. Here is the scale and a map of today´s UV forecast from the Brazilian national weather service, CPTEC.

UVindexApril11.jpg

UVIndex.jpg

It looks like it is going to rain, so the UV may not get as high. So far what March lacked for rain April has made up for.

dk

It looks like the exact same system Don.

Best regards

Tyrone

Woke up to clouds and a bit of light rain this morning. The min was higher than expected at 17.7C. Going for a top of 22C and rain all week. I've turned the irrigation off for the first time since October last year. I've brought in my seed com pots and tender seedlings from the tunnel and they are now sitting back in the heated aquarium until November.

"Here comes another winter of long shadows and high hopes" :(

Gotta sort out the coconut protection in a few weeks.

Best regards

Tyrone

Oh no... .Tyrone... it is still raining here & quite humid.... so I hope that it would be a short & wet dry season (touch wood!!).

Good luck with winter.... I hope there will be no more casualties...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

DK, the UV index was set up by the World Health Organisation so it's the same standard around the world. (Pity they haven't done that with all the other measurements.) UV readings shown are actually predictions for what the index would reach at midday in a clear sky. The highest predictions in Australia are 17 for areas around Cairns and 16 for most of the rest of the northern part of the country. For most of the summer it's 15 and drops as low as about 8 or 9 during the winter. Of course, as you get further south in the country these figures get much lower.

This is today's prediction

post-4226-12710400009773_thumb.gif

My area varies from a UV rating of 2 around June 21 to 14 in the height of summer and when the Ozone layer is missing.

Tyrone

Oh no... .Tyrone... it is still raining here & quite humid.... so I hope that it would be a short & wet dry season (touch wood!!).

Good luck with winter.... I hope there will be no more casualties...

Luckily this is just a taste of winter. It's warming back up to high twenties maybe even low thirties next week. The maximum today was 19.9C at 4.30am and by midday it was 16 or 17C, so the sun hasn't helped a fig today. :angry:

There's a cutoff low just off the west coast and it will sit offshore for a few more days. It's slowing warming from today and Wednesday is meant to be the wettest, before a high pressure ridge forms and pushes the rain east.

Best regards

Tyrone

DK, the UV index was set up by the World Health Organisation so it's the same standard around the world. (Pity they haven't done that with all the other measurements.) UV readings shown are actually predictions for what the index would reach at midday in a clear sky. The highest predictions in Australia are 17 for areas around Cairns and 16 for most of the rest of the northern part of the country. For most of the summer it's 15 and drops as low as about 8 or 9 during the winter. Of course, as you get further south in the country these figures get much lower.

This is today's prediction

post-4226-12710400009773_thumb.gif

Thanks for the info. I figured it should be international. Here they cap it at 14 from what it appears.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Finally a coolish day...28 the max. I woke up later than usual...okay 6 pm is very late to surface but I was tired...and saw that we had some reasonable rain, the whole place was wet but not soaking. I remembered the bins have to go out at 11pm tonight, but one of the pooches hadnt come back inside after his bedtime tinkles, so while I was out searching with the torch, it started to pour down. I finally found the little stinker hiding in the carport, but by that time I was drenched. Came back inside got both of us dried off ...then remembered the bins again. :rage: I am still grateful (or trying very hard to be) for the rain.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well yesterday we had a max of 19.9C at 4.30pm but since the official figures don't recognize maximums before 9am the max was barely above 17C. They also revised the min down to 15.9C even though it didn't show less than 17.7C on their half hourly updates (something weird there-maybe the computer protests when a min is higher than a max). So we had a min of around 16C and a max around 17C officially and no sun. Yuck.

Today I can see some blue sky out the window so maybe we'll reach 24C before the storms arrive this arvo from the same low system sitting stationary off the coast and deepening. We're sort of in between the arms of the storm system at the moment. The last time I looked there were three thick storm bands rotating so we may get them all if it hangs around long enough. The rain is nice.

They've revised the temps down a tad this weekend, but it may still be bright and sunny with temps from 26-28C which will be nice after 25-35mm of rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like a mini cyclone off the coast at the moment. Central pressure 999 hPa. Rain just crossing the coast now. It looks good on animated Infrared.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

Here's the severe weather warning. It could get bumpy tonight.

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Damaging Winds with Locally Destructive Gusts and Abnormally High Tides

For people in the Lower West and Southwest districts, including the Perth

Metropolitan area, Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton.

Issued at 2:25 pm on Tuesday 13 April 2010

A deep low that lies off the southwest coast is expected to cause damaging winds

to 100 kilometres per hour with possible locally destructive gusts in excess of

125 kilometres per hour. Severe winds and possible thunderstorms have developed

in the Southwest district and are expected to extend to the Lower West district

later this afternoon and evening. Cape Naturaliste recorded a wind gust of 98

kilometres per hour at 1:45pm.

Heavy rainfall may result in flash flooding in the Southwest district. Local

heavy falls are possible in the Lower West district, however large hail is not

expected.

Higher than normal tides may result in inundation of low-lying coastal areas in

the Geographe Bay area, including Busselton and Dunsborough, on Wednesday

morning.

FESA State Emergency Service [sES] advises people to secure loose objects, move

vehicles under cover and stay inside away from windows. If caught outside find

shelter away from trees, powerlines, storm water drains and streams. Boat

owners should make sure their boats are securely moored. Take extra care on the

roads as flooding is possible. If driving through heavy rain slow down and turn

your lights on or if visibility becomes low pull over and park until it passes.

For SES assistance call 132 500. For more safety tips visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au

The next warning will be issued by 5:00 pm Tuesday

Best regards

Tyrone

Sounds nasty Tyrone, hope you get through unscathed. Turned cold here last night, had to get up and grab the doona and warmer nightie about 3am. Cool day too, got to 25 but felt colder. Just a couple of showers, no real rain but better than the heat we have been having.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The pressure systems have taken some quite good positions that keep us sunny and dry for a few days already and if we have to believe the forecast for the next 2 weeks. Only thing is, the winds came from the northeast now so temperatures are not really high with daytemperatures from 14-16C and between the 3-6 during the nights. Otherwise it's better then 12C by day and 8C during the night with a cloudy sky and raining the whole day.

Robbin

Southwest

Deep blue sky for days like the picture and what's also going to be the coming days. Sun is getting more and more power, so when you are out of the wind you can even get the color on the skin again. UV's where getting to the 4 again.. Few days ago I read an long term forecast for the summer for the UK that the expect a really hot summer, if that hot summer would also visit us then this year can go wrong anymore. :)

post-171-12711770055484_thumb.jpg

Someone who lives in the north made this nice pic from the flowers again... spring is great specially when it's really sunny.

17420101050491.jpg

Southwest

Nice photos, Robbin esp the flowers! :mrlooney:

It is staying quite cool along the U.S. West Coast w/ a storm moving down the coastline about once a week. The rainfall is gratefully received but the temps are chilly for April.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Got about 12mm up to about 1.30am this morning when it stopped. Not as windy as they forecast although along the coast it can get real strong gusts. Alternating sun and clouds but now the wind has picked up as the low edges ever so slowly towards the west coast. It got to around 23C after a night down to 14C with 100%RH. Maybe the wind will drop when the low moves directly on top of us. I've got a large Abysinnian banana that is in a pot too small for it and at the moment it wants to blow over. Boy those things grow fast.

Still going for at least 4 days of 26-28C on the weekend and into next week. Should be awesome and get the coconut happy again.

Best regards

Tyrone