IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

I was inspired by Tyrone and Ari´s weather pictures so I took my camera out this afternoon while on errands. I went over to the airport to get some money from the ATM and use the post office. By the time I got to the post office there it was 1600 hrs and the post office was closed. But, the outing was fine for a Friday afternoon. Actually I love our weather here. Many would say it boring never getting cold. But, after being raised in Montana I have had enough cold.

This is a picture of the cargo area at the Manaus airport looking east at what will probably be incoming rain.

post-188-12696396675786_thumb.jpg

Looking south at the clouds behind the airport. These are typical rainy season clouds.

post-188-12696396767432_thumb.jpg

Then I decided to drive over to the Ponta Negra to the Tropical hotel grounds to look for some Uxi seeds, a beautiful local forest fruit tree. I found a few seeds. And, it was a beautiful afternoon.

Looking up the Negro River. My country place is at the point on the left side of the picture where the river narrows.

post-188-12696396871233_thumb.jpg

There were some young women posing by the Mauritia tree. I could not help but capture the moment.

post-188-12696397005255_thumb.jpg

The sky behind the bridge across the Negro River under construction looked great.

post-188-12696397085887_thumb.jpg

And, the clouds behind the buildings on the Ponta Negra Blvd. looked great.

post-188-12696397171041_thumb.jpg

Driving down Estrada do Turismo, Tourism Blvd. back toward my office.

post-188-12696397279137_thumb.jpg

As I got closer to my office I could not help but stop and capture these clouds.

post-188-12696397386064_thumb.jpg

They're some beautiful pictures of some great equatorial weather Don. Thanks for posting.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's a pic of all cyclones in the southern hemisphere from 1969-2006. You can't even see Madagascar.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-12696626124155_thumb.gif

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's been a funny sort of day here today. A min of 19.5C and a maximum of 23.2C at 9.30am. It's been humid around 70-80% humidity all day and a bit breezy. Haven't seen the sun all day. Not bad growing weather.

Tyrone

Strange weather here too. Periods of absolutely clear sky with blazing sun and then mostly overcast, bit of wind and high humidity. The tropical low is edging down south eastwards and isn't sending any rain my way. The rain bands are moving north of me. On the other hand Gove is getting an absolute drenching. On the radar the rain activity is circling around Gove, although BOM places the centre of the low well away to the north west. If it crosses the coast at Gove hopefully it might head west as a rain depression.

post-4226-12696772464139_thumb.jpg

Tyone,

It was a beautiful end of the afternoon yesterday. I love the color of the blue sky against the clouds this time of the year here. The sky is such an instense blue against the white and silver clourds. Regarding the cyclones am I right to assume that the birth place for cyclones in the area north of Australia? And, then they track either east or west?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tyone,

It was a beautiful end of the afternoon yesterday. I love the color of the blue sky against the clouds this time of the year here. The sky is such an instense blue against the white and silver clourds. Regarding the cyclones am I right to assume that the birth place for cyclones in the area north of Australia? And, then they track either east or west?

dk

I can picture the image you're portraying Don. Beautiful.

As far as cyclones are concerned tropical lows tend to drift into the northern Australian region (or form there in the monsoonal trough) and as they travel further south around the 12-16S mark if they move over hot water generally form into cyclones. That being said anywhere along that 10-16S line has the potential to form cyclones from Madagascar into the central Pacific. The most commonly hit area for cyclones in the world is NW Australia. But few people live there. It's been kind of quiet up there lately. Big cyclones can still form up there in April and even May. The general thought is late cyclones are often the worst. If a cyclone is going to travel a long way south and make it down to Perth it generally has to happen in the March to May time period. We are long overdue for one. Although maybe what we got on Monday was the equivalent. 100's of millions of dollars damage from that one storm alone.

Best regards

Tyrone

Excellent weather for garden activity today though perhaps a little too warm at 85F\ 29.4C. More of the same for a few more days then a rather radical turn-around mid-week as a strong cold storm is forecast to move into the state & stick around for a few days.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

.......... Regarding the cyclones am I right to assume that the birth place for cyclones in the area north of Australia? And, then they track either east or west?

dk

Over the wet season a lot of lows will form over the Top End (Northern Territory) or move in from the Indian or Pacific Oceans. They can spend a fair time over land just drifting around causing flooding, or as the precursor to TC George did, producing tornados.

In the case of George it caused a lot of flooding, between 600 and 800 mm rain. There were at least 3 tornados in our area, the one where I work was categorised an F5 by the weather bureau. It missed the main buildings but brought down trees on the house I live in at work. One caravan went inside the funnel and came out like confetti, another caravan got side-swiped and had bits scattered over half a kilometre. The low then went out to sea and (becoming TC George) ramped rapidly up to category 5 cyclone. It swung out around the Kimberley coast and made landfall on the Pilbara coast above Port Hedland. Went through a mining camp killing a couple of people and then crossed into the Gibson desert causing a lot of flooding.

The most powerful cyclone recorded in Australia (2nd most powerful recorded in the world) was TC Monica. Started in the Coral Sea just off the end of Papua New Guinea in April. Crossed Cape York as a cat. 3 but once it came our way the warm seas ramped it up to a cat. 5. Goulburn Island was evacuated to Jabiru but Monica turned down and crossed the coast in central Arnhem Land and headed for Jabiru. So the evacuees were re-evacuated further west to Pine Creek, Jabiru just sat it out as Monica was weakening over land. That brought 600 mm rain with it around 26 or 27 April.

Cyclones here can travel any direction. Laurence earlier this season did a 360 degree loop just off our coast and then headed off to western Australia. TC Helen a couple of years ago was just off the coast heading away from us then suddenly did a 120 degree turn and hit us. Like Paul now, a bit difficult to know where it's going to end up.

.......... Regarding the cyclones am I right to assume that the birth place for cyclones in the area north of Australia? And, then they track either east or west?

dk

Over the wet season a lot of lows will form over the Top End (Northern Territory) or move in from the Indian or Pacific Oceans. They can spend a fair time over land just drifting around causing flooding, or as the precursor to TC George did, producing tornados.

In the case of George it caused a lot of flooding, between 600 and 800 mm rain. There were at least 3 tornados in our area, the one where I work was categorised an F5 by the weather bureau. It missed the main buildings but brought down trees on the house I live in at work. One caravan went inside the funnel and came out like confetti, another caravan got side-swiped and had bits scattered over half a kilometre. The low then went out to sea and (becoming TC George) ramped rapidly up to category 5 cyclone. It swung out around the Kimberley coast and made landfall on the Pilbara coast above Port Hedland. Went through a mining camp killing a couple of people and then crossed into the Gibson desert causing a lot of flooding.

The most powerful cyclone recorded in Australia (2nd most powerful recorded in the world) was TC Monica. Started in the Coral Sea just off the end of Papua New Guinea in April. Crossed Cape York as a cat. 3 but once it came our way the warm seas ramped it up to a cat. 5. Goulburn Island was evacuated to Jabiru but Monica turned down and crossed the coast in central Arnhem Land and headed for Jabiru. So the evacuees were re-evacuated further west to Pine Creek, Jabiru just sat it out as Monica was weakening over land. That brought 600 mm rain with it around 26 or 27 April.

Cyclones here can travel any direction. Laurence earlier this season did a 360 degree loop just off our coast and then headed off to western Australia. TC Helen a couple of years ago was just off the coast heading away from us then suddenly did a 120 degree turn and hit us. Like Paul now, a bit difficult to know where it's going to end up.

Zig, named tropical cyclones out of the south-west Pacific retain the same name if\ when they cross the date line & become hurricanes, right? I believe the Atlantic ocean will become active this summer unless ENSO continues.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Cyclones, hurricanes, typhoons are different names for the same thing. But there's different systems for classifying them. Names are, however, supposed to be carried across different regions without change once they've been allotted. There's set regions around the world, we have 3 - west (Perth), north (Darwin) and east (Brisbane). We used to run three separate name lists although once named the system would retain that name for the rest of its life, even if it degenerated and then regenerated again. A few years back they changed it to one list for the whole of Australia.

Next east is Fiji, they have their own list and use our system of classification. TC Ului was named by Fiji and ended up in Queensland under the same name. There's no cyclone warning centre east of Fiji so no cyclone in the south west Pacific can go into an area using the Saffir-Simpson (hurricane) system.

Recently Port Moresby became a tropical cyclone warning centre. It's area of responsibility is basically the Gulf of Papua. In the west, after Perth, is La Reunion which uses the same system as us.

In the northern hemisphere there's New Delhi, Tokyo, Honolulu and Miami. The latter two use the Saffir-Simpson system (hurricane). Tokyo I think parallels our system but calls them typhoons. New Delhi uses same system as us. The only overlap you could get is between typhoons and hurricanes.

The US navy monitoring station in Hawaii is called Joint Typhoon Warning Centre, so maybe they consider the central Pacific comes under the system used for typhoons.

Bit of a sad story with the rain, it just doesn't seem to want to happen. TC Paul is holding it in close so it's all happening on the east coast and not here. As Paul moves inland it's expected to become a low again but unsure how far west it will come. We can virtually say goodbye to our wet season if nothing comes of this. So no rain today, at 8:30 PM it was 28C, 94% humidity and no wind. UV index is still 13, the sun still has a decent kick to it.

It's a bit like autumn here now. The last couple of nights have been down to 14C and the days are in the twenties. 29C today, with not much humidity. We now begin the couple of months descent into winter. However it's a pleasant time of the year in the main. It's much easier to sleep at night too. I've noticed that over the weekend.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had to get up early to go to work this morning. 3:30 AM it was 26C with 98% humidity, no wind. UV reading then was 0 wink-1.gif

Looks like TC Paul can't make up its mind where to go so is staying put. The rain bands are only over the sea with nothing coming our way. If this doesn't change soon it's going to be a very long dry spell before we get any decent rain.

You may get rain in your dry. Won't that be weird.

Tyrone

Its been bloomin hot down here, everyday. Havent had proper rain in a month and the garden is starting to suffer, I just cant keep everything moist!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Had a min of 17C lastnight. Boy that feels cool. I'm going to hate winter if I'm finding 17C at night cool. Up to 32C today. Dark blue sky out there already at 7.30am. Should be a beautiful March day not unlike December weather we get here early in Dec. Then it's mid to high twenties all next week and nights down to low teens and one single digit night. Must be a high sitting over us then. That will feel freezing. :(

Tyrone

Had a min of 17C lastnight. Boy that feels cool. I'm going to hate winter if I'm finding 17C at night cool. Up to 32C today. Dark blue sky out there already at 7.30am. Should be a beautiful March day not unlike December weather we get here early in Dec. Then it's mid to high twenties all next week and nights down to low teens and one single digit night. Must be a high sitting over us then. That will feel freezing. :(

Tyrone

It's interesting to see when our 2 regions [Western Australia & California] w/ similar climates sort of come together at the equinox points [autumn & spring]. Maximum was 83F\ 28.3C w/ minimum: 59F\ 15C today but could easily drop 20 degrees Fahrenheit when an upper-level trough moves down the coast tomorrow night. Wondering if I should alert gardeners about the possibility of frost by Thursday & Friday mornings. :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Tyrone

It's interesting to see when our 2 regions [Western Australia & California] w/ similar climates sort of come together at the equinox points [autumn & spring]. Maximum was 83F\ 28.3C w/ minimum: 59F\ 15C today but could easily drop 20 degrees Fahrenheit when an upper-level trough moves down the coast tomorrow night. Wondering if I should alert gardeners about the possibility of frost by Thursday & Friday mornings. :o

Yes, our weather should be just about identical now. You will have slightly longer days than us now, but the suns angle would be about the same from vertical at noon.

It's 32C at the moment and you can feel a change is happening. Right as I type this the black cockatoos are all calling to each other. That says that rain isn't far away now. A cold front is coming through after this high moves east but it won't reach this far north. The next one might just touch us.

Here's our forecast.

Forecast for Tuesday

A little high cloud at times, but remaining mostly sunny. Moderate NE'ly winds,

tending light to moderate NW/SW'ly during the afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Max 32

Mandurah: Max 30

UV Alert: 9:30 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Forecast for Wednesday

Some early morning cloud followed by a mostly sunny day. Moderate SE'ly winds

shifting S/SW'ly in the afternoon. Winds becoming fresh and gusty E/SE'ly during

the evening.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Min 16 Max 28

Mandurah: Min 18 Max 26

Thursday Sunny. Min 15 Max 29

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 28

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 23

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 24

Monday Sunny. Min 12 Max 26

best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

How far is Mandurah from your neighborhood of Perth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandurah,_Western_Australia identifies some interesting climatic characteristics like "Mandurah's climate is remarkable for producing one of the highest densities of tornadoes in the world" :mrlooney: surprised me since tornadoes are not that common in Mediterranean climates. Texas & Florida experience tornadoes but unlike Mandurah, less so during winter.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ MAndurah is about 65km south of me, about 40 miles. It's right on the coast and it basically sits on a bay area with Halls Head, one of it's suburbs having one of the few north facing beaches on the entire south west coastline. When cold fronts come through they whack Mandurah hard. They hit full steam onto this area, and there is also a big body of water (The Peel Inlet) behind them which is shallow and can hold heat. The area from Rockingham (south of Perth) to Mandurah is locally called tornado alley. When big storm fronts come through almost always roofs come off. Away from the coast a few kms and you're OK. It's a very expensive area as well, with huge waterside developments and canals going ahead everywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

Happ I love the bit in Wikipedia where it said

"Mandurah was significantly affected by a severe thunderstorm on the 21 & 22 March 2010, where 15.8mm fell and the city withstood sustained winds of 70km/h (unlike Perth, the city received no hail). Power was cut to over a 1000 homes due to pole top fires."

Mandurah basically missed that storm. 15.8mm is scary...............??????? :lol:

Best regards

Tyrone

Here's the forecast for the next few days. 31C by next Tuesday. March has turned out to be statistically more like Feb, so will April turn out more like a normal March (16C min -29C max)????????

Forecast for Wednesday

A sunny day. Light to moderate SE'ly winds shifting fresh S/SW'ly in the

afternoon. Winds becoming fresh and gusty E/SE'ly during the evening.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 28

Mandurah: Max 26

Forecast for Thursday

A sunny day. Fresh and gusty E/SE'ly winds, easing during the afternoon and

tending fresh S/SE near the coast.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Min 15 Max 29

Mandurah: Min 16 Max 28

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 17 Max 28

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 23

Sunday Cloudy morning. Min 14 Max 24

Monday Sunny. Min 12 Max 26

Tuesday Sunny. Min 14 Max 31

Best regards

Tyrone

Well we got to 30C here today. March averaged 17.4C min to 31.1C max which is 1.5C above average. I hope that trend continues right through winter.

Tyrone

Although the tropical low (ex-Paul) doesn't look like coming near us, not for a while at least if ever, its southward movement seems to be dragging the monsoon trough from Indonesia/Timor down to us. At the rate it's moving we should have it over the western Top End within a day or two. At the moment it's virtually across central Arnhem Land. We could be in for a wet weekend. Easter's always a good time for rain.

What I mentioned on the other thread (TC Paul), there's something developing off the south east end of Papua New Guinea. The only data I can access doesn't show anything on the charts yet. This was the same with what I noticed over PNG which eventually became Paul. I think it'll be worth keeping an eye on that area.

It's been very humid here but very little if any rainfall, although other parts of the city seem to be getting drenched. The ground has dried right out and I am back to watering again. The rain early last month finally got things growing then stopped. I have a few sick looking palms as a result. Also losing a few potted palms too. They seem fine one day then topple over the next. It has knocked the ferns about badly too. Low 20s some nights then down to 14 or 15 others. The species that are coping seem to be thriving while others just give up and croak. A lot more cloud cover than is usual so maybe that is the culprit.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Still waiting on the rain. A system moved down the California coast & ashore in Baja [just like the last storm a while back]. San Diego received showers overnight but nothing much in Orange county northward. Once past Point Conception systems sometimes stay offshore in the rain shadow of the Tehachapi Mts. The airmass today is cold & unstable so thunderstorms could occur. Sacramento valley has observed hail over past few days.

Recorded 47F\ 8.3C this morning [coldest reading since March 9th]. Should stay cool & slight chance of rain into next week.

March was fairly normal but rainfall was disappointing. :(

March 2010 Data

Average Max: 74.4\ 23.5C Norm: 73F

Average Min: 53.0\ 11.6 Norm: 53F

Average Mean: 63.7\ 17.6 Norm: 63F

Highest Max: 88F\ 31.1C

Lowest Max: 56F\ 13.3C

Highest Min: 61F\ 16.6C

Lowest Min: 45F\ 7.2C

Heating degree days: 100

Cooling degree days: 61

Maximums

80's: 10

70’s: 11

60’s: 9

50’s: 1

Minimums

60's: 3

50’s: 21

40’s: 7

Rainfall: 1.26"\ 20.6cm

Rain days: 3

Rainyear: 19.92"\ 326cm [jul-jun]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

April is here now. It looks like we skipped the type of weather we generally get in March.

Forecast for Friday

The risk of an afternoon thunderstorm, most likely about the hills. Moderate

NE/SE winds shifting moderate to fresh S/SW'ly in the afternoon.

Precis: Afternoon thunderstorm risk.

City: Max 28

Mandurah: Max 27

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 23

Sunday Chance of a shower. Min 14 Max 24

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 26

Tuesday Shower or two developing. Min 14 Max 26

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 14 Max 25

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 25

Best regards

Tyrone

Still waiting on the rain. A system moved down the California coast & ashore in Baja [just like the last storm a while back]. San Diego received showers overnight but nothing much in Orange county northward. Once past Point Conception systems sometimes stay offshore in the rain shadow of the Tehachapi Mts. The airmass today is cold & unstable so thunderstorms could occur. Sacramento valley has observed hail over past few days.

Recorded 47F\ 8.3C this morning [coldest reading since March 9th]. Should stay cool & slight chance of rain into next week.

March was fairly normal but rainfall was disappointing. sad.gif

March 2010 Data

Maximums

70's: 11

60's: 9

50's: 1

Minimums

50's: 21

40's: 7

Rainfall: 1.26"\ 20.6cm

Rainyear: 19.92"\ 326cm [jul-jun]

Happ, my weather station shows "Heating degree days" and "Cooling degree days", but I cant work out what that actually means.

I think your "Rainyear: 19.92"\ 326cm [jul-jun]" should be 506 mm. 326 cms is one hell of a lot of rain anyway.

Won't be getting my weather station data for March until tonight when I get back home from work.

March was fairly normal but rainfall was disappointing. sad.gif

March 2010 Data

Maximums

70's: 11

60's: 9

50's: 1

Minimums

50's: 21

40's: 7

Rainfall: 1.26"\ 32mm

Rainyear: 19.92"\ 506mm [jul-jun]

Happ, my weather station shows "Heating degree days" and "Cooling degree days", but I cant work out what that actually means.

I think your "Rainyear: 19.92"\ 326cm [jul-jun]" should be 506 mm. 326 cms is one hell of a lot of rain anyway.

Won't be getting my weather station data for March until tonight when I get back home from work.

Zig, thanks for correcting an "Imperial Standard"-dependent person. When will the U.S. join the world and convert to metric system? :rolleyes: Heating\ cooling degree days are easily calculated. Find mean of daily max & minimum; anything above 65F\ 18.3C is a cooling unit\ below 18.3C is a heating degree day. Degree days are based on the assumption that 65F is the ideal temperature regarding heating or cooling a house. Not necessarily applicable to the outdoors other than to identify temperature mildness.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Here is what things look like from space in my part of the southern hemisphere today. As you can see there are a lot of clouds over central Amazonia where I am. Yesterday it rained all day. I hope it does not do the same today. At least I don´t have to be out driving around town in it if it does as it is a holiday.

Sat2aprilsa.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I only get black and white cloud photos here, although there's probably some in colour on the internet somewhere. But I won't bother looking, it'd only remind me of how little cloud is here and how little rain we're getting. angry.gif

Got home 7:30 PM, it was 26C, 90% humidity and not a breath of wind. Seems the temperature is dropping a bit. Today's maximum only got to 33.7C, the minimum was 23.2C.

For the month Heat Degree Days was zero, Cool Degree Days was 295.6. Sorry Happ, I still don't really understand. There aren't 295 days in March, so what does the 295 mean?

Rain for the month was 173.7 mm, rather sad for a main wet season month. Mean temperature was 27.9C, highest 36.4C, lowest 21.7C. Number of days maximum was 32C or over was 28, ie 3 days didn't reach 32C.

Although I've been reading rain for us into every way the weather evolves, I'm still seeing a chance for something before the wet season closes up for the year. Ex TC Paul is crossing the coast again near the NT/Qld border. Steering influences are likely bring it back to us over the next few days. Just unsure how much rain might be left in it. But once it got nearer it'd draw rain in from the Indian Ocean, perhaps even a monsoon trough. Fly in the ointment is a low developing on the north side of the equator above New Guinea which might "steal" our tropical air stream again.

A cyclone is developing well out in the Indian Ocean, likely to be TC Robyn within a day. Projected track is more southwards so could bring rain to the southern part of the continent but not us.

The little "something" I detected off the end of Papua New Guinea that moved off east towards Vanuatu has now moved back again but still isn't showing up on the pressure charts. It's significant because that's where TC Monica started off a few years back late in April.

Anyway, that's some of my data readings, as well as my reading of what's happening with the weather.

March was a bit drier than it usually is. There was only less than 150 mms of rain compared to a normal 300 mms for the month of March. The forcast is for 70 mms of rain today. So, maybe the difference will be made up in April.

Here is what Brazil precipitation was for March. Manaus is just at the end of the tan area in the eastern part of Amazonas which is the state on the left side running across the equator.

PercipMARBrazil.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Zig,

The term "days" to calculate averages above or below 65F\ 18.3C is confusing. It does not mean an actual 24-hour day but rather a unit to measure comfort. Here's a site that should help explain it better:

http://www.degreedays.net/

Very cool overnight temps again: 48F\ 8.8C for the second morning in a row. Should stay cooler than normal for several more days while weakening Gulf of Alaska storms rotate down the U.S. coastline. Maybe the next system Sunday night will actually produce rain. Long range outlook may include another period of cold storms in about a week but April isn't normally very wet.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

DK, a bit surprised at that figure for your March rain total. That's less than my March total that I've been whinging about. The trouble here is that there's not much chance of any "make up" rain until about November/December.

Thanks for that Happ, it's all clear now. That calculation is done by the weather station program so I don't know what value they base it around, or whether it's based on degrees C or F.

Got rain yesterday, all of 1.4 mm. Max temp was 33.8C (about 93F) with a simultaneous humidity of 65%. UV index has dropped to 12. Overnight temp dropped to 24.8C (about 76.5F) with a simultaneous humidity of 98%. A little bit of cloud around this morning but according to the satellite cloud images it's virtually clear skies all the way up to Java/Timor.

We've just had 318 mm in the 24 hours up to 9 am this morning in the Daintree... finally some decent rain (mostly fell over night)! I'm off to check it out.

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

DK, a bit surprised at that figure for your March rain total. That's less than my March total that I've been whinging about. The trouble here is that there's not much chance of any "make up" rain until about November/December.

Yes, March was a lot drier than normal. But, so far April is making up for it. Even though March is tradionally the wettest month of the year. This does not mean it will be one year to the next. What is also intersting is that areas not too far from Manaus had a lot of rain. This will impact the level of the rivers feeding the Amazon river.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks for that Happ, it's all clear now. That calculation is done by the weather station program so I don't know what value they base it around, or whether it's based on degrees C or F.

Got rain yesterday, all of 1.4 mm. Max temp was 33.8C (about 93F) with a simultaneous humidity of 65%. UV index has dropped to 12. Overnight temp dropped to 24.8C (about 76.5F) with a simultaneous humidity of 98%. A little bit of cloud around this morning but according to the satellite cloud images it's virtually clear skies all the way up to Java/Timor.

Zig, your location likely has very high cooling degree days & maybe little if any heating degree days. Humidity levels play no part in these calculations yet we know it has a significant role in determining human comfort & effects plant growth.

Much of the U.S. east of the Rocky Mts is experiencing very warm temps [even record-breaking values]. In the West it is cooler than normal with a fairly deep trough overhead. Tomorrow evening into Monday could very well rain in SoCal. Chilly minimums again though coastal clouds should keep night temps a little warmer. Today was 70F\ 21.1C & the minimum: 49F\ 9.4C [normal for April is 76F\ 24.4C & 56F\ 13.3C].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We've just had 318 mm in the 24 hours up to 9 am this morning in the Daintree... finally some decent rain (mostly fell over night)! I'm off to check it out.

Yes, March was a lot drier than normal. But, so far April is making up for it. Even though March is tradionally the wettest month of the year. This does not mean it will be one year to the next. What is also intersting is that areas not too far from Manaus had a lot of rain. This will impact the level of the rivers feeding the Amazon river.

dk

Kurt, that's our rain! No wonder we can't get a decent wet season, you're hogging it all! rage.gifwink-1.gif

DK, usually we seem to have one month of the wet season that gets very much more than average rainfall. Can be December, January, February, March or April. This season it was January.

Zig,

Where exactly do you live in the Top End? I did not really know that that is what the northern tip of Australia. That is a part of your country I have always wanted to visit. Who knows maybe some day.

Here are a few nice clouds I noticed from the back of my house this morning. There is a lot of moisture in the air and I am pretty sure it will rain later today. The morning is beautiful. I thought the clouds were very unique with they way they are being shaved off at the tops. They are not extremely high so the winds must not be too far up.

dk

post-188-12703877314834_thumb.jpg

post-188-12703877434256_thumb.jpg

post-188-12703877590776_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Nice cloud photos, Don. There appears to be lenticular formation.

Scattered clouds here also. A somewhat weak storm is forecast to move over the region tonight on fast jet stream winds. Clear and warmer later in the week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23