IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Happ I hope you get a season of nice warmth and good rainfall with it. Those seasons produce much better growth than extreme heat.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Called "Hector".

The weather here could become a little more interesting soon. There was something developing over PNG the past few days. It's moved over the Torres Straits now but still not showing significantly. With the steering from the strong ridge to the south this could drift our way. Wind sheer is low again across the north and the MJO is going to be here soon.

A tropical low formed west of the Cocos Islands but whilst it's developed into a cyclone it's heading more south west and is expected to dissipate out at sea. Just east of the Philippines there's another one developed but apparently weaker. The significance of that one is that it's diverting some of the tropical flow away from us. That we don't need just now. But hopefully we'll shortly have a return to better wet season conditions. If not soon, then probably in about 8 or 9 months time.

Tried to post a panaroma pic that Scott took from our backyard... but it didn't work... :(. It hasn't quite the same effect without the long panaroma... Just want to show you how our storm cloud looks like. I might try again later...

Anyway, Zig... there is also a model that predict cyclone on Monday just north of Darwin... I guess we shall see. I am quite happy not having one, although all the weather nuts are getting excited over here...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'd love to see that pic Ari. Maybe it's over 1.95M. Can you reduce it's size?

They're saying the monsoon is coming back so that's great for you guys.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ari,

That is a great picture. I love those kinds of clouds.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Yes... it was a great afternoon storm... I didn't do anything to the colour... it was the colour of the sky. All I did was stiching 4 photos together using photoshop.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Actually March has been below normal as far as percipitation. This probably is linked to the current El Niño. While looking around for Brazilian climate data I found this on the national weather and climate site, CPTEC. It is an interesting forecast model of the upcoming days. You can see the daily ups and downs. The temperature pretty much never changes from this pattern throughout the year.

Tyrone, I do have very good weather if one is into palm growing. But, irrigation is still important to avoid problems in the dry season. But, then again I do not think I would want year around rainy season. It is nice to have some variation.

dk

ClimatedataMarcc24Mao.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

When I got home tonight (dusk) it was 31C and RH 81%. But a couple of hours later a storm moved in. Only 8 mm rain so far and RH is up to 91%. Will be lucky to get another mm out of it.

Downloaded the data from my weather station for March up until now. Still about 7 days to the end of the month.

Rain so far 132.5 mm, about one third March average.

Average daily max RH 100%

Average daily min RH 57%

Average daily (10 min intervals) RH 86%

Average daily max temp 34.3C

Average daily min temp 23.5C

Average daily temp (10 min intervals) 27.6C

Average daily max Heat Index 43.6C

Average daily min Heat Index 25.5C

Average daily (10 min intervals) Heat Index 32.2C

Hopefully the next 7 days there'll be more of a "real" wet season. The weather that was over PNG and moved to the Torres Strait is now showing up on the BOM charts as a low of 1004 and has moved to just north of Gove. There's a lot of vapour in that area, low wind shear and high sea surface temperatures. I'd be surprised if the low became anything more than a tropical low. But then, I'd be more surprised if I was right more often than I was wrong.

I ventured (well slashed and rammed my way) into the back part of the garden today. After all that rain that never seemed to stop, I found things wilted, dead or just very very thirsty. The ground had actually cracked open again....where did all that water go to ? I put the sprinkler on for an hour which usually floods it but this time the ground took up every drop. My place didn't get the earlier rains that most of this part of the state had so nothing has had a major growth spurt, just the usual plodding old palm pace with a couple here and there making a slightly better than normal effort. This is time of year when I am usually in a mad rush feeding and mulching in preparation for winter. I think a lot of them will just have to take their chances this time.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

When I got home tonight (dusk) it was 31C and RH 81%. But a couple of hours later a storm moved in. Only 8 mm rain so far and RH is up to 91%. Will be lucky to get another mm out of it.

Downloaded the data from my weather station for March up until now. Still about 7 days to the end of the month.

Average daily min RH 57%

Hopefully the next 7 days there'll be more of a "real" wet season. The weather that was over PNG and moved to the Torres Strait is now showing up on the BOM charts as a low of 1004 and has moved to just north of Gove. There's a lot of vapour in that area, low wind shear and high sea surface temperatures. I'd be surprised if the low became anything more than a tropical low. But then, I'd be more surprised if I was right more often than I was wrong.

Zig, you most definitely live in the tropics! B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It looked like it was going to dump a lot rain this afternoon. But nothing major happened. It was just a few drops. It is still cloudy and may rain tonight.

It is really sort of cool right now as the sun is not out. And, it will be dark in 45 minutes.

The current weather.

Currently At 5:17PM

Mostly Cloudy

29°C

RealFeel®

37°C

Winds: SSE

at 4km/h

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 78%

Dew Point: 25° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 16 km

And, here is what it looked from space where I am today. As you can see there is a lot of green. I am somewhere under the yellow star.

Sat24mar.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Trying again...

post-512-12694237727049_thumb.jpg

post-512-12694238379195_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Ari. Keep posting cloud pictures. You get nice ones up there.

That's sort of what the storm down here looked like when it came through, only it was jet black and angrier looking with no orangey colouring anywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

I ventured (well slashed and rammed my way) into the back part of the garden today. After all that rain that never seemed to stop, I found things wilted, dead or just very very thirsty. The ground had actually cracked open again....where did all that water go to ? I put the sprinkler on for an hour which usually floods it but this time the ground took up every drop. My place didn't get the earlier rains that most of this part of the state had so nothing has had a major growth spurt, just the usual plodding old palm pace with a couple here and there making a slightly better than normal effort. This is time of year when I am usually in a mad rush feeding and mulching in preparation for winter. I think a lot of them will just have to take their chances this time.

Peachy

Peachy I hope you get some rain. The run up to winter can still be quite wet in SE QLD, right?????

With your clay, have you ever applied gypsum to help it break up a bit. Or is it one of those clays which don't respond to gypsum?

Do you have any irrigation set up that slowly applies moisture to the soil? Normally clay soils and high output sprinklers don't work, as the water just runs off to the lowest point. If you had drip irrigation that you leave on for a few hours, you're more likely to get it down to the roots than with sprinklers. Also, noone knows it's on. :rolleyes:

Just me thinking out loud. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Average daily min RH 57%

Your weather is definitely tropical, no doubt about that. It sounds like my hothouse on a warm day here. You walk into it and within seconds you're drenched with sweat. When you go back out again, the warm day, suddenly feels pleasantly cool.

Best regards

Tyrone

It looked like it was going to dump a lot rain this afternoon. But nothing major happened. It was just a few drops. It is still cloudy and may rain tonight.

It is really sort of cool right now as the sun is not out. And, it will be dark in 45 minutes.

The current weather.

Currently At 5:17PM

Mostly Cloudy

29°C

RealFeel®

37°C

Winds: SSE

at 4km/h

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 78%

Dew Point: 25° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 16 km

And, here is what it looked from space where I am today. As you can see there is a lot of green. I am somewhere under the yellow star.

Sat24mar.jpg

Look at all that greenery. That must do a lot to keep the humidity high.

Today I woke up to a 19.7C min, way above average for here at the end of March, and clouds with 84% humidity. It's meant to get to 30C today which will be nice. I've just had some Dictyocaryum seeds come up, and they'll be loving this mild humid weather. I've actually been looking forward to nights around 15C and days around 27C (our April) for the sake of my mountain and cool loving species (Chambeyronia lepidota, Ptychococcus lepidotus, Ceroxylon amazonicum, Dypsis baronii, D ambositrae, Hedyscepe and Rhopalostylis species) which have not been the happiest this summer. However if present trends continue, April will be more like a usual March (17C-29C).

Best regards

Tyrone

ariscott' date='24 March 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1269463704' post='379196']

he is down the road from me.... :winkie:

Sweet! :greenthumb:

Not much humidity here today though there is an onshore flow of air and that raises moisture content in the air. Remote chance of even some drizzle tomorrow as the marine layer deepens and comes ashore. Today was about the same as yesterday: 78F\ 25.5C & 54f\ 12.2C

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, that's not bad weather for the beginning of spring. Have you just had a high pressure zone go through?

Tyrone

Happ, that's not bad weather for the beginning of spring. Have you just had a high pressure zone go through?

Tyrone

Yes the pattern is fairly typical for spring. Heights rise & pressure builds until a weather system moves onshore. Almost all the storms are to the north but winds change direction & an eddy of coastal clouds materialize. So today will be cloudy for a while until the stratus burns off. It will also be cooler. Behind the washed-out front a ridge develops and we start all over again. The north Pacific is still fairly active but the semi-permanent subtropical high gains strength right into summer. The marine climate of coastal California is referred to "May Gray" & "June Gloom." It begins to lose some of it's impact once the ocean warms by July.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Its still warm - gotta be the warmest March i can remember - was 30c here today and around 18c overnight it should be around 17c day and 9c overnight !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Big storm heaqding our way. I've just captured a frame from the radar and marked the approximate posiitions of Ari's and my places with blue arrows. Be interesting to see who gets the most rain from it. Temp is 27C and humidity is 96%. Trouble is, time it's taken to set this up the storm is much closer than shown on the image.

post-4226-12695137168844_thumb.jpg

DK, the other interesting thing in that corner of the globe is that you don't get cyclones, other than Catarina a few years back.

The storm has left Humpty Doo.... It had the most amazing lightning show I think for the season. The lights flickering and some close ones a few km's away. I have to check my manual rain gauge for the rain, my weather station is not too accurate.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Would you believe, at about 9:02 PM a severe weather warning was issued over the radio that a severe storm would hit Noonamah and other outlying areas at 9:00 PM.

A lot of lightning strikes were shaking the house but I think the main centre of activity was a bit more to my south. I lost my internet connection but the power only flickered from time to time. Darwin is coping it now, seems to have finished even drizzling here.

Only got 24 mm rain, wind gusts not as bad as warned.

I was sure a few lightning were only 4-5km's away. The kids were terrified... lol. Weather station says 23.4mm out of that one... I guess we shall see how much my manual one says...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

DK, the other interesting thing in that corner of the globe is that you don't get cyclones, other than Catarina a few years back.

Actually my area does not get hurricanes or cyclones. We are within 5 degrees of the equator which is the no tropical storm zone. And, in addition we are about 1,800 kms from the ocean. So, that is one less thing to worrry about. The only thing we get are violent thunderstorms occaisionally with very strong down draft winds. These sink river boats and at times knock down large areas of forest at once. If you can picture a 90 meter high tree falling tied to a large area with lianas tying them into the canopy one tree falling brings down a whole bunch. I have seen areas with maybe 10 hectares of forest knocked down at once this way. And, we get this ground burst lightening at times which is like a bomb going off. I don´t know if you get the same thing in Australia.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Its still warm - gotta be the warmest March i can remember - was 30c here today and around 18c overnight it should be around 17c day and 9c overnight !

That is warm Troy. Good old subtropical Tassie. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

DK, we're just within the cyclone zone here. Although it's rare, sometimes cyclones get to the equator here (north of us). Last year TC Kirrily got up close to the equator but, as with the others, it wasn't very strong.

We don't get large areas of monsoon or vine forest but storms do cause damage in them. An area of monsoon forest along the East Alligator River which had walking trails and a "canopy walk" was badly damaged by TC Monica. The area has been abandoned because it was too hard to clear the tangle of vegetation. Lightning strikes cause trees to explode here, standing within 10 to 15 metres of one of those trees you'd be killed. About a month ago lightning took out 5 of my Coconuts in my garden and some other nearby plants.

Just while I'm typing this I felt an earth tremor, but not as bad as last December. And we can get tornadoes and water spouts. But generally we have few really big problems due to low population density and infrastructure of a high standard.

Lovely weather here at the moment...nights down to about 20C and days to about 29-30C , still with good humidity. Another 16mm of rain last night which is great for the garden. Palms are loving it!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It's been really humid and nice here too the last few days. Nights around 19-20C, days from 28-32C and dewpoints from 14-20C. No rain apart from the 42mm on Monday!!!!! Palms are opening spears everywhere. Getting a bit cooler on the weekend then back to 34C on Tuesday. It's still February here. :D

Forecast for Friday

Partly cloudy. Moderate to fresh E/SE winds, easing before shifting moderate

S/SW'ly during the afternoon.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Max 32

Mandurah: Max 30

UV Alert: 9:20 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Saturday Cloudy periods. Min 19 Max 26

Sunday Sunny. Min 13 Max 25

Monday Sunny. Min 14 Max 28

Tuesday Sunny. Min 16 Max 34

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 17 Max 28

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 27

Cooling off next week though. But it is April by then I suppose.

Tyrone

For those who are interested here is 40 years of cyclones in Australia from 1966 to 2006.

post-63-12695638529959_thumb.gif

Tyrone, that's looks like Australia having a "bad hair day". Cyclones can have that effect.

Talking about cyclones, that one west of the Cocos Islands had been heading south and now a bit to the south east. Expected to dissipate as a cyclone soon but it's been 'vacuuming' up a lot of moisture out of the Indian Ocean which it should transfer over your way.

I'd say that's where the MJO is at present, with that cyclone. Won't be long before it's here. There's enough happening around here for it to run amok and ramp things up a bit. The low to our north is now expected to develop into a cyclone tomorrow night. The current BOM site track is for it to go southwards but the steering influences are to the west. There's flood warnings out, mainly for the Arnhem District. There's also a cyclone watch been issued for the north Arnhem coast.

Last night's rain ended up totalling 31 mm. The strongest wind gust with the storm was 24 kph (the BOM site about 5 kms away recorded 50kph). Today has been a mix of cloudy and clear and more wind, up to 19 kph so far. At the moment a line of storms is moving through the west Arnhem Region towards Darwin. The main part could pass to the north of Darwin though. Jabiru's had 17 mm so far but there's more rain following behind the storm front. And more rain is developing over the Arnhem Land Plateau. As it passes over the lowlands/flood plains it could intensify. It's on a more direct line for Darwin.

post-4226-12695879159131_thumb.jpg

We got just over 100mm in the 24 hours till 9 am this morning... Still raining on and off. We're finally get some decent wet action!

Tyrone - have you looked at those images in 10 year intervals? Interesting that it shows less cyclones in the more recent decades...

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

10pm and still 27c here!

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

We got just over 100mm in the 24 hours till 9 am this morning... Still raining on and off. We're finally get some decent wet action!

Tyrone - have you looked at those images in 10 year intervals? Interesting that it shows less cyclones in the more recent decades...

I will look. Haven't noticed that. I wonder what that means.

Best regards

Tyrone

Speaking of cyclones I looked up where they come from in the world and where they impact. Fortunately for my side of the world they do not hit.

dk

post-188-12696098809424_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here's an European site that tracks cyclones\ tropical storms:

Excellent interactive feature [a bit slow] http://dma.jrc.it/map/?application=GDACS&bbox=121.89:8.2:141.89:28.2

And another site tracking Cyclone Omais. This storm is taking on extra-tropical characteristics as it moves into colder water. California may benefit from Omais moisture next week.

http://www.gdacs.org/reports.asp?eventType=TC&ID=17285&system=asgard&alertlevel=Green&glide_no=&location=&country=&new=true

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I was inspired by Tyrone and Ari´s weather pictures so I took my camera out this afternoon while on errands. I went over to the airport to get some money from the ATM and use the post office. By the time I got to the post office there it was 1600 hrs and the post office was closed. But, the outing was fine for a Friday afternoon. Actually I love our weather here. Many would say it boring never getting cold. But, after being raised in Montana I have had enough cold.

This is a picture of the cargo area at the Manaus airport looking east at what will probably be incoming rain.

post-188-12696396675786_thumb.jpg

Looking south at the clouds behind the airport. These are typical rainy season clouds.

post-188-12696396767432_thumb.jpg

Then I decided to drive over to the Ponta Negra to the Tropical hotel grounds to look for some Uxi seeds, a beautiful local forest fruit tree. I found a few seeds. And, it was a beautiful afternoon.

Looking up the Negro River. My country place is at the point on the left side of the picture where the river narrows.

post-188-12696396871233_thumb.jpg

There were some young women posing by the Mauritia tree. I could not help but capture the moment.

post-188-12696397005255_thumb.jpg

The sky behind the bridge across the Negro River under construction looked great.

post-188-12696397085887_thumb.jpg

And, the clouds behind the buildings on the Ponta Negra Blvd. looked great.

post-188-12696397171041_thumb.jpg

Driving down Estrada do Turismo, Tourism Blvd. back toward my office.

post-188-12696397279137_thumb.jpg

As I got closer to my office I could not help but stop and capture these clouds.

post-188-12696397386064_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

10pm and still 27c here!

That's even warm for Sydney at this time of year.